I don't think the Rams do much on the offensive line.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
It will help, yes... but it wont "do wonders." In 2017/2018 we had 3 pro bowl caliber lineman. Next year we will have zero.

The line can be improved but it wont transform an average line into a great OL. Especially if we draft a rookie center that has to make all the protection calls, or if Goff is forced to make all the protection calls (something he struggles with). If we roll out a rookie 2nd/3rd round center there is a chance this line regresses IMO.
I have to disagree. So many times this year, Goff was ready to complete a good pass when Blythe either got bulled rushed or OLE'd his player right into Goff. An upgrade at center will help Goff get that 1/2 second extra that he needs.

The other OL are average to possibly above average but that's all Goff needs imho.

Tano

Legend
I have to disagree. So many times this year, Goff was ready to complete a good pass when Blythe either got bulled rushed or OLE'd his player right into Goff. An upgrade at center will help Goff get that 1/2 second extra that he needs.

The other OL are average to possibly above average but that's all Goff needs imho.
In 2017 - I was telling everyone that getting an above average center (Sullivan) would make the Rams a above 500 team. However, getting Whitworth was just as important in hindsight.

In 2021 - I am telling everyone that getting an above average center will make the Rams a definite superbowl contender. I just hope we can find one. Biadasz who we definitely could have gotten instead of Hopkins would have greatly helped us last year. Have him sit on the bench for awhile learning the position and then putting him in instead of Blythe after the bye. I had had enough of Blythe by then.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams offense has invested big in six 2021 on KEY offensive positions & now presently suffers a NEGATIVE $-27,905,627 in the salary cap. It sure makes any changes to sign/bring in veteran more qualified talent in the OL impossible.

QB- Goff $34.7 mil. 20 % of cap. On SEP 3,2019 Signed a 4 year $134 mil contract extension
WR- Kupp $14.5 mil. On SEP 12, 2020 signed a 3 year $47.25 mil contract extension
WR- Woods $13.9 mil. On SEP 18, 2020 signed a 4 year $65 mil contract extension
LT- AW $11.2 mil. MAR 18, 2020 signed a 3 year $30 mil contract
RT- Hav $8.4 mil. On AUG 20, 2018 signed a 4 year $32.5 mil contract extension

TE- Hig $7.1 mil. On SEP 5, 2019 signed a 4 year $29 mil contract extension

All of the above contracts are new extensions within the last year & a half. Only one of the above RT Havenstein is further in the past 2018. Does any member think that any of these above 6 player contracts as possible Snead reasonable 2021 trade fodder so this OL can be improved?

Eight of the 10 under contracted Ram OL'ers, have less than 4 seasons of experience. In 2021 the Rams top 8 game day OL'ers fielded was generally considered by NFL standards young & slightly inexperienced (excluding Hav & AW when he was not injured). The main seven OL'ers who saw offensive snaps & starts, four had less than 3 years of experience.

#1 problematic OL post for most fans here is the OC post. I would agree that this post's performance must be improved. Blythe is no longer under a Ram contract. Below is my recent combined post on this subject:
A few thoughts on ‘fixing’ this Ram O... | Rams ON DEMAND
UFA Center Targets | Rams ON DEMAND

The below post ,includes additional thoughts on the future OL altogether:
A few thoughts on ‘fixing’ this Ram O... | Rams ON DEMAND

#2 issue for fans has been the LT posts future. Our 39 plus yr. old well-seasoned LT AW has already made a big statement as to his future playing question by making a HUGE effort to return & help this team by starting in the two 2020 postseason games after suffering a season-ending injury. His new 2020 contract while carrying a cap hit this season of $11.2 million has a dead cap value of $5.9 million still appears to be a solid investment due to the overall youth contained in this OL.

Last Wednesday, Pro Football Focus (PFF) handed out end-of-season awards. Rams LT AW and the Rams offensive line picked up honorable mention recognition in a couple of categories. AW was one of two honorable mentions for Pass-Blocker of the Year. Additionally, the Rams joined the Packers and the Patriots in receiving honorable mention recognition for Offensive Line of the Year.

Why should we consider AW's 2021 availability to be one of our 10 OL'ers a Question? OT Joseph Noteboom who enters his 4th season should share the starting LT post with AW. I see no need to make any changes in this post arrangement.

To summarize, on the original post by @Ram_Rally I believe there might be one trade of a starter RT Rob Havenstein. I think that most all the new additions to this current signed OL cadre will come through the 2021 draft where a LT & center will be drafted on day two (Friday evening) of the draft.

Last edited:

Kevin

Pro Bowler
How long do you wait in the draft? We wanted Cushenberry in round 3 and didn't move up to ensure we got him...and the result is he goes 1 spot before us and we were forced to draft T Lewis.
Meh, this is just your version of how it went down.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Doesn't it make more sense to find QB that can operate behind an average OL?

Imo this is a pipe dream.

I question whether there is such a QB available to the Rams who could have materially improved the Rams offense as it was constituted in 2020. There are a handful with elite scrambling ability and passing accuracy such as Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson, Watson. But unless lightning somehow strikes we can't get any of them.

Imo the limitations of the Rams' offense in terms of personnel and scheme basically dictated the results they got. These would have produced roughly the same results or possibly worse with most other even above average NFL QBs.

There is no shortage of NFL teams with decent or better qbs but average or worse offenses and records.

The inability to pass protect...
the lack of a deep threat, lack of effective play action, the deficiency of the red zone offense...
the total predictability of the short passing offense, routes, and play calls...
inconsistent execution across the board, not just at qb...
lack of big play makers (excepting Akers who as a rookie needed the season to develop)...
inconsistency of the run game (in part due to injuries to Whitworth and RBs)----

These are hallmarks of a middle of the pack offense.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame

This ranking is heavily inflated by McVay scheming and play-calling to mask the o-line's deficiencies, in my opinion. Lots of roll outs, quick passes, nothing downfield requiring extended drop backs, etc.

Our offensive line is hardly a disaster. At times, they actually look quite good. The issue is that it is not yet up to a level needed to take home a Super Bowl, which is the ultimate goal. Particularly along the interior of the o-line. And especially with a pocket passer like Goff.

There were a few exceptions, but as a general rule, when teams knew we wanted to power it in on the goal line, we couldn't do it, and when teams knew we had to pass downfield, the pass blocking could never hold up. That's not a top 3 unit. An elite unit can square up against a defensive line knowing exactly what they are doing.... and win anyway. Or at least, win most of the time. The Rams are nowhere near that.

I think fans underestimate how hard it is to find a good o-line. Most are in shambles and fans around the NFL are perpetually looking for upgrades at the position. It's why you don't let versatile, Pro Bowl guards like Saffold walk. I'd actually rank the Rams o-line just outside the top 10. Not bad. But not good enough, and especially not with Goff at QB.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
This ranking is heavily inflated by McVay scheming and play-calling to mask the o-line's deficiencies, in my opinion. Lots of roll outs, quick passes, nothing downfield requiring extended drop backs, etc.

This has been explained so many times, and yet people don't want to absorb it. But it's absolutely true, and that ranking obscures the fact that we had a very weak link at C and weren't as effective at run blocking (save for the NE game) after Whit went down.

What it really points to is deficiencies in the ranking system, because there probably isn't another team that went to the playoffs that would have made a wholesale trade of their OL for ours.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I looked at the Buccs and Chiefs depth chart just now. Including Eric Fisher who is out with an ACL, both offensive lines combined include two first round picks (2013 and 2020), two second round picks (both 2015), a 7th round pick (2019), one UFA, two guys picked up off waivers and two street free agents.

The Rams don’t have a recent first round pick on the offensive line, but otherwise we have followed the same path to building the offensive line as the two super bowl teams. Maybe we can find good prospects in the late second or third rounds and turn this thing around.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I like the one year approach because it gives us greater flexibility. And Warford also won't cost us either of the comp picks we should receive for John Johnson and Leonard Floyd.

all i ever hear is continuity on the ol is very important. i guess if you get old vets continuity isn't as big a deal. i see the point of getting an old vet but as a personal choice i would like to try to get an ol that is far above average and good for 10 years. i think we should used our top pick on a tackle then package 2 3rd to move up and get the best guard or center and maybe take a flyer on a 6 or 7 rnd pick. i know this hurts with having enough picks to fill all the other holes plus some maybe bust but if they are do it again next year. this is why i wish this had been started last year because it might take 2 years to get it done

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Center is the only position that needs a huge upgrade.

Blythe too many times just OLE'd his blocks.

i don't know that center is the only upgrade needed. whit is old and the injurys may have just started plus father time is stating to catch up with him even when not injured. evens was beaten like a drum in the last game. hav seems to need help against speed. noteboom just is not a run blocker. i watched colbett help the wrong guy far to often. anyway to my eye the only one with out warts is edwards and hopefully he just keeps getting better. anyway i hope we get far more help on the ol than just a center.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I dunno why, but I think they do nothing on the OL except maybe spend a late round pick on a typical Kromer pick.

I just get the feeling that they feel they can keep coaching them up.

yeah i'm afraid you are correct not what i want but i am sure in my next life i will be ultra rich and own the rams hope you all are still fans.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
all i ever hear is continuity on the ol is very important. i guess if you get old vets continuity isn't as big a deal. i see the point of getting an old vet but as a personal choice i would like to try to get an ol that is far above average and good for 10 years. i think we should used our top pick on a tackle then package 2 3rd to move up and get the best guard or center and maybe take a flyer on a 6 or 7 rnd pick. i know this hurts with having enough picks to fill all the other holes plus some maybe bust but if they are do it again next year. this is why i wish this had been started last year because it might take 2 years to get it done

Warford isn't that old. He's only 29 years old (turns 30 before next year). But the point of signing him to a one year deal is in case he doesn't live up to the contract. If he plays well, we can extend him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meh, this is just your version of how it went down.
Is he using the royal we or the plural we? I think fans wanted him but we don't know that the Rams in McVay and Snead did.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Is he using the royal we or the plural we? I think fans wanted him but we don't know that the Rams in McVay and Snead did.
Yeah, we don’t know that the Rams were going to choose him and I don't see how the Rams were forced into choosing Terrell Lewis.

Tano

Legend
i don't know that center is the only upgrade needed. whit is old and the injurys may have just started plus father time is stating to catch up with him even when not injured. evens was beaten like a drum in the last game. hav seems to need help against speed. noteboom just is not a run blocker. i watched colbett help the wrong guy far to often. anyway to my eye the only one with out warts is edwards and hopefully he just keeps getting better. anyway i hope we get far more help on the ol than just a center.
Oh the other OL weren't great or elite by any means but they played well for the most part.

Blythe - just no

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Oh the other OL weren't great or elite by any means but they played well for the most part.

Blythe - just no

yeah that is my point i want an elite ol but i am pretty sure i won't get it . man wouldn't it be nice to have an elite ol that lasts for 10 years. wa wa bo ho i could whine more but i am getting tired of myself.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
yeah that is my point i want an elite ol but i am pretty sure i won't get it . man wouldn't it be nice to have an elite ol that lasts for 10 years. wa wa bo ho i could whine more but i am getting tired of myself.
That’s what Dallas did in the 90’s along with the Broncos. Pats and Steelers both have had top tier lines for almost 20 years.

A team always wins and dies in the trenches. I look at Wentz, the Philadelphia line fell apart after their Super Bowl win. He’s partially to blame, although they lost 3-4 starters to injuries across the line.

You just can’t win in the NFL without a solid 5 up front.

I hope for changes, but would beyond happy with at minimum a change at Center. Boy Sullivan looks like a rock star now. No Blythe, no Blythe, no Blythe or Allen please.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Boy Sullivan looks like a rock star now.

I don't know. If I recall correctly, Sullivan was also pushed back many times, especially in the super bowl. Totally agree with the rest of your post though.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know. If I recall correctly, Sullivan was also pushed back many times, especially in the super bowl. Totally agree with the rest of your post though.
I was comparing Sullivan to Blythe and Allen. He looked like a rock star comparatively to them. He was a small fish in a big pond against the Patriots front 4 in the Super Bowl(definitely agree with you on that).