UFA Center Targets

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, he's 30 and will get paid... Was trying to find good, fair market talent.

oldnotdead

Legend
The OC with the Rams is the same with the Saints. The real OC is McVay who creates the game plan and scheme. The OC simply calls the plays if not overridden by Sean. So changing the OC won't change the offense. Sean must redo his base scheme. He needs to emphasize power in his run game and then his finesse passing game will get on track. This season has proved his 100% finesse offense doesn't scare good defenses. He needs some smash mouth to make them think.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The OC with the Rams is the same with the Saints. The real OC is McVay who creates the game plan and scheme. The OC simply calls the plays if not overridden by Sean. So changing the OC won't change the offense. Sean must redo his base scheme. He needs to emphasize power in his run game and then his finesse passing game will get on track. This season has proved his 100% finesse offense doesn't scare good defenses. He needs some smash mouth to make them think.
Umm ...
The thread does include the letters “OC” but the topic is Offensive Center. The players listed above are pending free agent Centers.

It’s not a thread about Offensive Coordinators.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yes, he's 30 and will get paid... Was trying to find good, fair market talent.

Elgton Jenkins was projected as a Center/Guard coming out of college. The Packers may move him to Center and allow Linsley to move on to save cap space

With Jenkins dominance and having two years alongside Linsley to learn, it may be a prudent move seeing that they may want to give Jenkins an extension to avoid him hitting free agency in two years.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Umm ...
The thread does include the letters “OC” but the topic is Offensive Center. The players listed above are pending free agent Centers.

It’s not a thread about Offensive Coordinators.
I adjusted the title to clear up any confusion.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know some disagree, but I still say Corbett is our best option at Center. He was an above average to good RG for us, and that's a tougher position to play physically in this scheme than Center. He had a strong week at the Senior Bowl playing four positions on the OL, including Center, and practiced at Center for both the Browns and us. The kid knows the scheme, he reportedly has a very high football IQ, and has the size, athleticism, and power to be very effective at the pivot. Moving Corbett inside and adding another powerful, talented guy at OG does more for this offense than paying a FA Center imo. Imagine the running lanes we'll open up.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
David Andrews , Austin Reiter, Joe Looney, Tyler Larsen, Matt Skura?

Do any of these guys tickle your fancy to upgrade our OC while not breaking the bank?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/center/
Nope, not at this time.....with the Rams' lack of salary cap avaialbility being the main factor here, I would prefer to just look internally @ the contract Ram OL'ers who have the experience with the Rams Kromer OL scheme to nail down the OC starting post. I do not think replacing OC Blythe will be that hard to do.

Austin Corbett sure would be my #1, with Coleman Shelton my #2, Brian Allen as my #3 & working with Tremayne Anchrum to be groomed as the future OC starter. I would also add a 2nd-day prospective starting center in the 2021 Draft!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I know some disagree, but I still say Corbett is our best option at Center. He was an above average to good RG for us, and that's a tougher position to play physically in this scheme than Center. He had a strong week at the Senior Bowl playing four positions on the OL, including Center, and practiced at Center for both the Browns and us. The kid knows the scheme, he reportedly has a very high football IQ, and has the size, athleticism, and power to be very effective at the pivot. Moving Corbett inside and adding another powerful, talented guy at OG does more for this offense than paying a FA Center imo. Imagine the running lanes we'll open up.
I sure am hopeful that you are correct.
It may be our most likely scenario going into next season.
Especially with a need at LT soon upon us.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I adjusted the title to clear up any confusion.
That was nice of you but I didn’t think it was confusing.

PressureD, the OP (Original Poster ... Not Offensive Pass-interference), made it clear from his first sentence that he was talking about the Center position.

I was just pointing out to OldNotDead that he jumped in without reading any of the thread posts.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
That was nice of you but I didn’t think it was confusing.

PressureD, the OP (Original Poster ... Not Offensive Pass-interference), made it clear from his first sentence that he was talking about the Center position.

I was just pointing out to OldNotDead that he jumped in without reading any of the thread posts.
Not a problem

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wait so is Blythe in the running to be our OC? If so I am firmly against such a ridiculous idea. :LOL:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One thing I find interesting is that none of the 2020 rookie Centers had a good initial season. At least that I can see. Just using pff grades here for a quick look...

* Ruiz played OG mostly which makes it a bit easier for a rook but still only got a 42 in pass pro and 57 in run blocking.
* Hennessy had a 28 in pass pro and a 59 in run blocking.
* Cushenberry had a 47 in pass pro and a 37 in run blocking.
* Biadasz had a 56 in pass pro and a 57 in run blocking, neither are good but better than the rest of this class.
* Ismael only had 4 snaps and a 59 grade at OG.
* Harris had a small sample size and a 34 and 62 respectively at OG.
* Hanson, Woodard, Hinton, etc did not play.

* For reference Blythe was 52 in pass pro and 74 in the run game. Which, btw, makes me laugh (the run game grade). BUT I think pff's rationale is when Blythe gets blown up and his guy runs himself out of the play it's a win for Blythe. Admittedly he did a good job sealing guys in the run game when they ran the slants that gave him so much trouble but still the continued penetration is not what you want in a ZBS.

Now I realize that Center is a tough position to transition to in the NFL nowadays. And that some of the above might well become excellent Centers. But maybe the Rams knew a thing or two about these guys in their projections eh?

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug

He tends to do that.
Also, never seen him respond to a response to his missives.

He be the Pontificator. :ROFLMAO:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If the Rams do go to the contracted 2021 Ram OL'ers & which Austin Corbett would be the sure leader to take the starting OC post......we need to remember that Corbett himself will be a UFA one yr from now. Rams are still to be in salary cap hell in 2022 too.......then we need to look at the Corbett fix as a temporary 1 yr duration. No way to know if the Rams will be in a position to offer Corbett an acceptable deal for the future.

Rams need to be looking long term in having a future starting OC coming into the roster this season from the draft. Center Coleman Shelton will be a UFA in 2021 like interior OL'er Austin Corbett, OC Brian Allen & OT Joe Noteboom too. That's FOUR Ram OL'ers departing the Rams this time next year! Sure appears that an LT & OC should be high draft prospect considerations now.

PS....forgot to mention that LT Andrew Whitworth is still a question today in 2021 & I am sure LT Whitworth will be a much larger question after 2021. Andrew Whitworth would be a total of FIVE OL'ers most probably departing.

Last edited: