A few thoughts on ‘fixing’ this Ram O...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Im kind of amazed at how many of us are saying the exact same thing and often in the exact same order. We don’t know what FA will bring, but that we’re all seeing the same thing is either an indication that we’re seeing something real or we’re all out to lunch...

I think we are all seeing the same problems. I’ve been wanting a center since Sullivan retired. I feel the need was obvious. Apparently Snead and McVay didn’t, two years running.

So either they fix them this offseason or, they go a totally different direction and we convince ourselves that once again that they made the right moves.

(Or maybe I’m like Trump and figure if I say it enough times you will all believe it......and it worked)

HellRam

Starter
I'm sure many will disagree but the Rams had the 22nd ranked scoring offense. In my opinion the issues are much more deeper then just personnel.

Very rarely will you have a perfect roster, oline, recievers, ect. I love McVay as a coach but in regards to his offense alone, he can improve. I mean the Lions and Bears had a higher ranked offense then the Rams this season. Heck even the Niners and thier 3 QBs did better then the Rams on offense this year. Not good! If you gave Belichick or Shanahan this same offensive roster. They probably have much more success with it then McVay did this year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'll add this too... Either improve the OL or make a change at QB. Because if you want to see what a successful QB behind a porous OL looks like it requires wheels. Goff is never going to be the guy we paid for if the line isn't up to snuff.

I think the Rams knew they needed OL help but they did the best they could given that they were trying to replace Gurley and Cooks and install a new scheme on defense. But this upcoming offseason will be the window to throw Goff and the run game a bone by improving the boys up front. At least a Center. I'd feel a lot better though if they were to get a badass OG early and a Center midrounds.

But it's hard to criticize them too btw. Because here we are in the playoffs which I still find rather amazing given the past year and what has gone on.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
I wonder how much it would cost to get mecole hardman from the chief? He would be perfect and could fill multiple roles.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'll add this too... Either improve the OL or make a change at QB. Because if you want to see what a successful QB behind a porous OL looks like it requires wheels. Goff is never going to be the guy we paid for if the line isn't up to snuff.

I think the Rams knew they needed OL help but they did the best they could given that they were trying to replace Gurley and Cooks and install a new scheme on defense. But this upcoming offseason will be the window to throw Goff and the run game a bone by improving the boys up front. At least a Center. I'd feel a lot better though if they were to get a badass OG early and a Center midrounds.

But it's hard to criticize them too btw. Because here we are in the playoffs which I still find rather amazing given the past year and what has gone on.

I would have started with the Oline. Retread RBs can be successful behind a good line. QBs for that matter too. Cart before the horse

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would have started with the Oline. Retread RBs can be successful behind a good line. QBs for that matter too. Cart before the horse
Me too. But it's hard to fault them for their approach when we have the best defense in the league and are in the playoffs. :beer2::biggrin:

TexasRam

Legend
The offensive problems are primarily personnel from my vantage point. One weird thing about Football is if you have a top Oline that can give an extra second or two, you could hit big plays continually for TD's and big gainers. This can be the difference in 10-14 points a game. I am not sure if people realize that. If you watch the Packers or Bills, it's pretty incredible how long they can sit back there many times a game and find the late breaking open WR. But if your Oline can run block well, it can also create this same effect.

Many, many, many plays for the Rams fail because of failed blocks not only by the Oline but also by the TE's multiple times a game and also the WR's, as Mcvay's system has our WR's and TE's blocking big dudes a whole lot. Higbee has been hurt this year so it's possibly the reason, but I could create a long highlight real of pass and run plays being blown up be defenders destroying him.

Here are the top 2 offseason priorities that would guarantee a return to a top offense as we saw when our personnel was right.

1. Top rated center.
2. Excellent blocking TE

Other:
Guard- If you can't find a Center in the offseason then move Corbett to center and plug in a top guard next to him.

Havenstein is a liability in pass protection. He is a very good run blocker so this isn't my highest priority. But if you can upgrade this position with someone that doesn't need constant RB help then that would upgrade the situation.

Power Back - Akers doesn't appear to have the goaline power running we need. Get a Gus Edwards or big FB type to punch it in at the goaline. Brown fights hard and does OK but we need someone that is a load to bring down.

Possession WR. Jefferson is starting to come on and the more I review his recent film the more I am hoping he could be a solid number 3 in 2021. But he doesn't have the build to be a go to WR in traffic. Find a Hines Ward type that can be a realiable target to bring down tough catches on third down. Or a guy that can go up and fight for balls. This could also be a hybrid TE type. Find your Darren Waller.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Honestly, there’s a couple of really good wide receivers in this draft who should be available late (and let’s be honest; Webster needs to be replaced as a punt returner as well as at receiver - and the others who aren’t Kuop, Woods, and Jefferson inspire zero confidence.)

My two choices are a huge deep threat who might require a year to perfect his routes, but is a legit 4.4 flat runner at 6’5”, 215 lbs. who is physical at the high point, and a 4.3 burner who is 5’9”, 170 lbs., but is like a cheat code whose ability to start, stop, and start again - Faulk-like, if you will - and won the C-USA MVP award.

I’m talking about Michael Strachan (Charleston) and Jaelon Darden (North Texas). Keep an eye on these two.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Get an above average Center-Get a better tight end 2-get a deep threat WR-This will fix most of the problem. Some other possibilities that would help:
I’d love it if Evans or Brewer could win the ORT spot over Havenstein.Get the OLT of the future. Joe has downgraded the line play too much.
I do not see a fixing of most of the 2021 Ram team issues Elmgrovegnome.
1st in my mind is 2021 salary cap in the deep very bright flashing RED minus $-21,360,598......besides the departures of UFA's JJ III, OLB Floyd, CB Hill, OLB Ebukam, TE Everett, WR Reynolds, OC Blythe (Our only healthy) RB Brown & DE Fox, some starters will have to be considered for releases.

I see Snead's only real path to acquiring players to fill the 5 starters & 3 top main reserves is through the ultra low cost 2021 draft & street UDFA's. You throw in the fact that Snead last 2 drafted top RB's 2019/2020 are injury-prone will cause a regrouping to secure a tough 3 down RB too.

While most all here in this forum choose to refuse to see this dark future (& that just fine) I would hope this team would just center their goals & objective on building the best OL conceivable, by any approach possible to strongly support a super high-cost turnover machine immobile average producing QB that this Ram team is impaled with for several years. Draft as many talented quick starting OLB/ edge rushers & corners on that second day of the 2021 draft. This Rams defense should still be good enough to win a number of games in the future even without Brandon Staley.

Offensively...On the brighter side, I do believe Kromer can replace & even get a slight upgrade to the departing starting center Blythe from the existing 4 other interior OL'ers like Coleman Shelton. Austin Corbett, Tremayne Anchrum, or Brian Allen. Snead will be forced to draft a pure LT to groom to replace the retiring Whitworth & the future departing UFA 2021 Noteboom.

RamWoodie

Legend
I'll say this much. An OC to step in with McVay stepping back is a great idea...BUT...he has to have they "innovative mind" as McVay has.

I would want him to be willing to give Goff "FULL AUTHORITY" to change plays too because the Rams burn too many timeouts when plays don't get in.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
TD's in the RZ would go a long way to changing this offensive identity. Better players ALWAYS helps, but I can't help but see some patterns in the Rams offense once we get close to pay dirt. McVay needs to freshen up the approach in the RZ.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I do not see a fixing of most of the 2021 Ram team issues Elmgrovegnome.
1st in my mind is 2021 salary cap in the deep very bright flashing RED minus $-21,360,598......besides the departures of UFA's JJ III, OLB Floyd, CB Hill, OLB Ebukam, TE Everett, WR Reynolds, OC Blythe (Our only healthy) RB Brown & DE Fox, some starters will have to be considered for releases.

I see Snead's only real path to acquiring players to fill the 5 starters & 3 top main reserves is through the ultra low cost 2021 draft & street UDFA's. You throw in the fact that Snead last 2 drafted top RB's 2019/2020 are injury-prone will cause a regrouping to secure a tough 3 down RB too.

While most all here in this forum choose to refuse to see this dark future (& that just fine) I would hope this team would just center their goals & objective on building the best OL conceivable, by any approach possible to strongly support a super high-cost turnover machine immobile average producing QB that this Ram team is impaled with for several years. Draft as many talented quick starting OLB/ edge rushers & corners on that second day of the 2021 draft. This Rams defense should still be good enough to win a number of games in the future even without Brandon Staley.

Offensively...On the brighter side, I do believe Kromer can replace & even get a slight upgrade to the departing starting center Blythe from the existing 4 other interior OL'ers like Coleman Shelton. Austin Corbett, Tremayne Anchrum, or Brian Allen. Snead will be forced to draft a pure LT to groom to replace the retiring Whitworth & the future departing UFA 2021 Noteboom.

I said in another post that I expect next year to be a step backwards. I was just giving my ideas on what needs fixed.

I've said it to you before. We have to assume that Blythe is the best center on the team, otherwise he would not be starting. The most logical result of his replacement being on the roster would most likely become a downgrade.
Take out the emotion and fanaticism and it is the only conclusion you can come to is that one.

But yes. Fixing the offensive line is priority number. I don’t worry about the cap. There have been other years that I thought the cap was hopeless and money has been moved. I doubt the leadership would be resigned with letting all free agents walk and just promoting backups to there positions.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll say this much. An OC to step in with McVay stepping back is a great idea...BUT...he has to have they "innovative mind" as McVay has.

I would want him to be willing to give Goff "FULL AUTHORITY" to change plays too because the Rams burn too many timeouts when plays don't get in.
Gonna disagree with you here Woodie.

First I think Goff has enough on him at the line of scrimmage this year just with the protections and pre-snap reads for the play in question or the play he flips to. Right now he reads for the play called in, and he's got a backup to flip to and he probably has a short list of shots if he sees certain alignments. So if he had shown mastery of that change this year I would be all-in with you on that. But he has struggled with it. Some games he's on point, others he's missing protections and mis-reading shit and simply not seeing things. So you don't want to put more on a QB like that. You go back into camp next offseason and try to get him to master that again. Also you look hard at your depth at the position and do what you can to ensure you have as much competition as possible.

Secondly the playcalling is a minor concern right now if that. If you fire up the tape our issues are primarily players. We need to replace some JAGs. Get a good Center in here and things look vastly different. Good Center in that last game in Seattle and we probably would have won the division because if Goff can set his feet he will look deep.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
My thoughts

Fire OC he has done nothing for Goff, TEs maturation, and especially the OL. He is a total failed experiment even if he doesn't call the plays. Whatever his roll is he is not getting it done.

Speedy wr dont go early a late rounder if one exists. He will not be a #1 or #2 so not the #1 priority.

Possibly fire Komer. Not sure whos fault the OL is but it sucks.

Fix the OL. I think we need an upgrade minimumly at C and LG. Most of the problems especially Goffs turnovers are weak OL play up the middle. Cant create creat run lanes consistently, cant hold up long enough for Goff to have time to throw deep routes. I saw a pass chart from the latest Seattle game Goff never threw deep almost every pass play 3-8 yards. All you have to do is to compare the OL play in 17 & 18 to now and you will see a massive difference.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My thoughts

Fire OC he has done nothing for Goff, TEs maturation, and especially the OL. He is a total failed experiment even if he doesn't call the plays. Whatever his roll is he is not getting it done.

Speedy wr dont go early a late rounder if one exists. He will not be a #1 or #2 so not the #1 priority.

Possibly fire Komer. Not sure whos fault the OL is but it sucks.

Fix the OL. I think we need an upgrade minimumly at C and LG. Most of the problems especially Goffs turnovers are weak OL play up the middle. Cant create creat run lanes consistently, cant hold up long enough for Goff to have time to throw deep routes. I saw a pass chart from the latest Seattle game Goff never threw deep almost every pass play 3-8 yards. All you have to do is to compare the OL play in 17 & 18 to now and you will see a massive difference.

I’ve noticed the Right side being the problem.I’m not as upset as yourself.Big Rob has one more season.
The Rams have young depth.I don’t see much change,but I agree The Offensive Line needs to play better.

I think today you well see a better flow. Jefferson is still young,but Josh Reynolds needs to step up.
Gerald Everett had a pass hit him a n the hands for a TD last week.Boomer said he looked like an offensive lineman.Said Bug Anthony Munos would have caught that pass by Wolford.
Will see how Cam Aykers does today.
Malcom Brown will have a couple nice plays.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I said in another post that I expect next year to be a step backwards. I was just giving my ideas on what needs fixed.

I've said it to you before. We have to assume that Blythe is the best center on the team, otherwise he would not be starting. The most logical result of his replacement being on the roster would most likely become a downgrade.
Take out the emotion and fanaticism and it is the only conclusion you can come to is that one.

But yes. Fixing the offensive line is priority number. I don’t worry about the cap. There have been other years that I thought the cap was hopeless and money has been moved. I doubt the leadership would be resigned with letting all free agents walk and just promoting backups to there positions.
I would side with you on the expectation of a down 2021 season too as sad as that appears.

On OC Blythe....I look at it this way, in Training Camp Blythe was no doubt the best OC on the roster. He was just given a sizable raise & a new contract. He was a well-known commodity, knew the offense very well, well-liked & a 100% good all-around guy. The OL was badly in need of gelling ASAP & Blythe was sure to have been the best to center @ that time period. After the 2019 season where constant revolving of copious different OL'ers in & out of the starting lineup of all but one OL posts, Kromer had to set the Ol early.

Eight months later it very well may be the case that one or maybe two other OL'ers have arrived at the point that your assumption is no longer correct. I would not agree with your thoughts "We have to assume that Blythe is the best center on the team, otherwise, he would not be starting".

So on this, we have differing thoughts on the future OC situation. Kromer has been dealing with the loss of his best most seasoned all-pro Whitworth, he has been dealing with an unhealthy injured starting LG Edwards now for well over a month too. First, an ab injury that limited him for 2 wks in practice & now a leg injury has kept him out of practice. Edwards is highly questionable to play today. RG Corbett has just about fallen apart on the field for well over a month & shows no sign of recovering to his early-season good performances.

Removing the centerpiece of a non-effective rough mistake-prone OL when your playing a rookie QB would not be wise in the playoffs. Have to ride what you been riding at this point.

Next season Blythe will be definitely be gone. Absolutely no reason to go down that route any longer. A much better center is
mandated so it's wide open as to who steps up into the centerpiece vacancy for the future. Centers Shelton-Anchrum-Corbett-Allen is not a bad quartet to start with early in 2021. If a 2021 draft prospect fails into Snead range snatch him up.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would side with you on the expectation of a down 2021 season too as sad as that appears.

On OC Blythe....I look at it this way, in Training Camp Blythe was no doubt the best OC on the roster. He was just given a sizable raise & a new contract. He was a well-known commodity, knew the offense very well, well-liked & a 100% good all-around guy. The OL was badly in need of gelling ASAP & Blythe was sure to have been the best to center @ that time period. After the 2019 season where constant revolving of copious different OL'ers in & out of the starting lineup of all but one OL posts, Kromer had to set the Ol early.

Eight months later it very well may be the case that one or maybe two other OL'ers have arrived at the point that your assumption is no longer correct. I would not agree with your thoughts "We have to assume that Blythe is the best center on the team, otherwise, he would not be starting".

So on this, we have differing thoughts on the future OC situation. Kromer has been dealing with the loss of his best most seasoned all-pro Whitworth, he has been dealing with an unhealthy injured starting LG Edwards now for well over a month too. First, an ab injury that limited him for 2 wks in practice & now a leg injury has kept him out of practice. Edwards is highly questionable to play today. RG Corbett has just about fallen apart on the field for well over a month & shows no sign of recovering to his early-season good performances.

Removing the centerpiece of a non-effective rough mistake-prone OL when your playing a rookie QB would not be wise in the playoffs. Have to ride what you been riding at this point.

Next season Blythe will be definitely be gone. Absolutely no reason to go down that route any longer. A much better center is
mandated so it's wide open as to who steps up into the centerpiece vacancy for the future. Centers Shelton-Anchrum-Corbett-Allen is not a bad quartet to start with early in 2021. If a 2021 draft prospect fails into Snead range snatch him up.

First off I have NEVER thought of Austin Corbett as a CENTER??? Has he even taken any snaps a Center this season in Practice???
Austin Blythe is a Veteran Leader on The Rams no more no less.He was only signed for 1 year.
Edwards?? Who is starting today?? Please don’t tell me my Man Joe??
Who is The Rams starting QB today?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

You can disagree if you choose but you ignore my point. From a logical standpoint taking out the fanatic in all of us. Blythe is bad enough right now, that if a better center was on the roster he'd be playing, contract be damned. It there is no other player to unseat him now then there is no reason to expect 8 months of off-season will fix that. And, I have said before that just the fact Allen is on the roster tells me that they consider him to be one of their top backup options, which is a bad sign because he was atrocitious, even for a cheap backup.

HellRam

Starter
A lot is being made about the oline and understandably so. That said, shouldn't we expect better then 22nd scoring offense with a average oline?