I don't think the Rams do much on the offensive line.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
This has been explained so many times, and yet people don't want to absorb it. But it's absolutely true, and that ranking obscures the fact that we had a very weak link at C and weren't as effective at run blocking (save for the NE game) after Whit went down.

What it really points to is deficiencies in the ranking system, because there probably isn't another team that went to the playoffs that would have made a wholesale trade of their OL for ours.
Agreed.

To suggest the Rams pass blocking was good without factoring in the designed boots etc which were created to counter the poor pass protection is just ignorant.

But it was worse than that. We also had key injuries to Whitworth, Edwards and Noteboom causing lots of shuffling. The in our biggest game of the season Edwards went down replaced by Evans who was a complete turnstile Next to Blythe which directly killed drives when we needed it most.

If we didn’t have Evans in there it’s possible Edwards stops the free rushers at Goff and the game ends much differently.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Three snaps all season. Three.

How many has Shelton played in 2 seasons ? I’m not as high on him most posters.I was actually shocked,but then found out Evans was on Covid list that game.Noteboom when he got Subbed out when Whitworth came back it was Bobby Evans who took over & started in the playoffs for Edwards.That also shocked me.
—I’m just not a redshirt type of fan in the NFL.I guess that CB who was all up on Hardknocks had a Redshirt year as well. All good. Nice posting & way to keep me honest.Will see what the roster looks like next season.

Troy Hill & D.Williams both had excellent seasons. I’m all about the Comp Picks & developing players.I think that gets overlooked after a Big Lose at the end of the season.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Warford isn't that old. He's only 29 years old (turns 30 before next year). But the point of signing him to a one year deal is in case he doesn't live up to the contract. If he plays well, we can extend him.
The same way we do on the DL every year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hate to show my age again but I'd stick Anchrum at OG/C due to his height. Centers nowadays are tall as F but I think there's an advantage to the QB being able to see over them. And I know he's got the arm length and I recall Kromer talking him up as a LT but I don't think he's got the feet to hold down LT for you through the playoffs.

Put his ass inside and let him compete for a job. Maybe he is the unsung piece on the roster that leads the Rams to move Hav and slide Edwards over. Which can either net us cap space alone OR can be used to move money to the interior. IMO that's the ideal path forward just don't know what the Rams think about Edwards and Evans at RT.

I'm not opposed to Anchrum playing OT if he can do it well. I'll let the coaches make that call. But I'd train him at Center and OG for sure. It helps to have versatile backups. I will say that while he is short, he does have enough length to play OT. Kelvin Beachum has had himself a nice career with a similar build. And while he has struggled to stay healthy, Isaiah Wynn has a similar body type and has been a very good LT for NE while on the field.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The only problem with the Roman system is is has serious limitations. First, it requires a great Oline AND excellent blocking at WR and TE and sometimes a fullback type. You are still paying out for Pro Bowl Oline because otherwise, as seen with Jackson this year and Kaepernick, it does not work. Not to mention there are very few Jackson’s alive and if you do get them you have to pay them as we will see this offseason. Second, without the passing threat teams can more easily scheme to stop the run. Third, those pesky holding calls, 2 min offense (end of half, end of regulation) require an exceptional pass game. Hard to do when your QB is a runner and your entire team is built to run.

It has been tried numerous times throughout NFL history and is just not sustainable.

There is a reason Lamar Jackson’s “new era” offense scored 0 TD’s in the playoffs. It still required a top Oline and didn’t have a serviceable passing game when needed. And Jackson is still going to get paid top QB money this offseason.
Our OL would be more than sufficient I assure you. They'll address Center and when they do they're gonna truck people next season on the ground. Akers is going to kill in fantasy.

They'll be ok IMO. Whether or not they take that approach. Whoever comes in at QB will be in a good spot.

Tano

Legend
One thing people keep saying is the OL was better than 2019.

It was better.

But when the OL faced a good defensive front on 3rd and long, it was a very poor line due to one player and only one player - Blythe.

I am not going to stop harping on this.

Blythe was decent in the run game even though he missed quite a few blocks that got the runner tackled after gaining 4 to 5 yards which could have gone for 10 to 15 yards if he made the block.

Blythe was also decent in the pass game on 1st down and second and short.

But when it was 3rd down and long, Blythe either got bull rushed up the middle or OLE'd his block.

And that is why Goff had such an average year this year with a lot of turnovers.

He did not trust the middle of his line at all and rushed his passes when sometimes he didn't need to.

He kind of had the Bulger complex there when it came to rushes up the middle.

If everyone remembers, Bulger was a very good QB a couple of years but at the end there, he was so overwhelmed by sacks that he couldn't make accurate timely throws any more. Goff showed me that in a few games where the rush up the middle was killing him. However, he usually overcame this issue in the second half of games. Don't ask me why he was able to in the second half and not in the first half. If everyone goes back to his games, you will notice almost all of his bad turnovers came in the first half. He only had a few in the second half iirc. I will have to check that sometime. Maybe McVay figured out how to change his blocking schemes in the second half so that Goff would not be pressured up the middle so bad.

I do know all of his turnovers in the Miami game and the horrible throw in the Seattle game was in the first half.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont understand why the o-line is deemed better in 2020 than it was in 2019.
Sounds like a question of, "Who's prettier, Rosie O'Donnell or Roseanne Barr?"
Neither was very good, and the results show it.
The running stats dont tell the story, Gurley had most of the carries in 19 and clearly lost a step. Running game this year seemed better, but I'm not sold it was due to better blocking, just more athletic runners. Short yardage wise, they seemed as poor as ever.
Pass pro? Definitely was worse in 2020, at least had some decent pass pro out of TGIII and seemingly none of the young guns are up to that challenge

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The running stats dont tell the story, Gurley had most of the carries in 19 and clearly lost a step. Running game this year seemed better, but I'm not sold it was due to better blocking, just more athletic runners. Short yardage wise, they seemed as poor as ever.
Pass pro? Definitely was worse in 2020, at least had some decent pass pro out of TGIII and seemingly none of the young guns are up to that challenge
Dude, there's no way you think the offensive line was better in 2019, right? Goff had no chance whatsoever in 19. I'm not even arguing that the line was fantastic (I actually hope we add a center and maybe a guard) but you think the wasn't ANY better?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My guess at next years o line;

Whitworth
Edwards
Corbett
Evans
Havenstein
What do you make of Les Snead's statement on the future of Andrew Whitworth?

Jourdan Rodrigue on Twitter: "When followed up with on this point, Snead says “the answer is yes” re. whether team would like to bring Whitworth back, continues to add that “there are variables” in play." / Twitter

Might one of the Variables be Whitworth's future salary cap costs? Whitworth will cost $11.2 million in 2021 & 2022 cost $12.2 million. Rams must cut a very sizeable amount of the 2021 salary cap cost.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
What do you make of Les Snead's statement on the future of Andrew Whitworth?

Jourdan Rodrigue on Twitter: "When followed up with on this point, Snead says “the answer is yes” re. whether team would like to bring Whitworth back, continues to add that “there are variables” in play." / Twitter

Might one of the Variables be Whitworth's future salary cap costs? Whitworth will cost $11.2 million in 2021 & 2022 cost $12.2 million. Rams must cut a very sizeable amount of the 2021 salary cap cost.
Whitworth is such a freak of nature that I have learned not to count him out.
He was having one of his best years last year at 39!?!
As Tracy Morgan would say;
That's crazy!

Then he came back like some kind of otherworldly creature after a severe looking knee injury to play in the playoffs !?!
That's crazy!

I've learned not to count him out or underestimate him in any way.

I think he'll be back - strong.

Yeah, I think we're hearing a little GM speak out of Les Snead who would like to see him play at 7 or 8 million with a cap friendly discount.

I think sliding a now veteran Corbett over could definitely strengthen the center of the line.
Bordered with a couple of young, (and hopefully stronger guards) in Evans & Edwards could actually take our offensive line up to the next level.

We didn't have a lot of choice last year with Blythe at Center and that's why I figured they would go with him but now we have a internal way to upgrade.

It'll be interesting to see how they go.

I see the Rams using the majority of their draft picks on linebacker and Rush Edge.

If they see a future starter to be molded from a 4th or 5th round draft pick for the OL, I could see them going that way too.

Probably some BPA in there for safety and cornerback as well.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Couple of thoughts...I mentioned a day or two ago TG truly helped against the interior pass rush (Totally underrated). The RBs need to watch his film and get some blocking drills scheduled this off season.

Both 2019 & 2020 Olines struggled (IMO).

Skinny Rosie or Skinny Roseanne.....LMAO like either were ‍♂️

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKu7TYWNxqA

Agree. His knee was shot and he just couldn't cut or accelerate like he used to. Decent short yardage runner, but I think his season in Atlanta this year showed us that what Todd became in 2019 wasn't a fluke.

That's where our RBs are lacking for sure. Malcom Brown was probably the best at it, and he's not as good as TGIII was. That definitely needs to be a point of emphasis in the coming off-season and training came, no matter who is taking snaps.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Whitworth is such a freak of nature that I have learned not to count him out.
He was having one of his best years last year at 39!?!
As Tracy Morgan would say;
That's crazy!

Then he came back like some kind of otherworldly creature after a severe-looking knee injury to play in the playoffs !?!
That's crazy!

I've learned not to count him out or underestimate him in any way.

I think he'll be back - strong.

Yeah, I think we're hearing a little GM speak out of Les Snead who would like to see him play at 7 or 8 million with a cap-friendly discount.

I think sliding a now veteran Corbett over could definitely strengthen the center of the line.
Bordered with a couple of young, (and hopefully stronger guards) in Evans & Edwards could actually take our offensive line up to the next level.

We didn't have a lot of choices last year with Blythe at Center and that's why I figured they would go with him but now we have an internal way to upgrade.

It'll be interesting to see how they go.

I see the Rams using the majority of their draft picks on linebacker and Rush Edge.

If they see a future starter to be molded from a 4th or 5th round draft pick for the OL, I could see them going that way too.

Probably some BPA in there for safety and cornerback as well.
If the Rams move on trading Goff then the OL needs will seriously change. McVay might strongly desire to change his offensive game plan with a more mobile, more pocket awareness & less prone to fumble or turn the ball over QB. I really think he is ready to move on from what we saw in 2020. He knows what he wants to do & Goff can not deliver that for him at this stage in time.

Reference to AW ....whats stands in the way is that 2021/2022 cap hit. For AW to be a Ram in 2021 he must restructure. Not any more complex than that.

With a new QB like I described above RT Havenstein's value goes up dramatically & there is no need to move on from him any longer.

Rams have a good young amount OL'ers signed like Edwards 3rd season/ Evans 3rd season/ Anchrum 2nd season/ Brewer 2nd season/ Shelton 3rd season/ Allen 4th season/ Demby in his 3rd season/ Noteboom 4th season to cover easily for the Corbett to move to starting center & replacing AW.

I would use those cap savings to go towards hooking up ER/OLB Floyd in a long term contract. Then draft a new ER to go with {medical problem} Lewis/ Okoronkwo/ & Hollins. Aaron Donald needs those two strong talented pass-rushing ER's to push the QB to step up into his area inside.

Besides drafting an ER/OLB, DC Morris needs the Rams to draft another CB on day 2 to replace Hill. Another day #2 selection need to be our future OC & replacement for LT Noteboom in 2022. Day #3 should follow up with a mobile QB/ pure speed WR & RB. My thoughts at the moment subject to change:biggrin:

jjab360

Legend
Am I the only one that's not concerned about the OL? By all metrics, they played at a level between above average to one of the best in the league last year with everyone coming back with another year of experience and continuity.

I swear, some of you guys will panic about anything lol

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Am I the only one that's not concerned about the OL? By all metrics, they played at a level between above average to one of the best in the league last year with everyone coming back with another year of experience and continuity.

Is it panic or just being curious/cautious about which veteran players will need to be traded or cut to get under the Salary CAP ? Spotrac has us currently $35 mil. over the CAP, so something has to give ....

If Whitworth & Havenstein are lost, how successful can our OL be expected to perform ?

Starters ?

LT) Noteboom or draft pick
LG) Edwards
C) Corbett
RG) Brewer or Anchrum
RT) Noteboom/Evans or draft pick

More than ever I expect our first pick in the draft to be an OT, a future LT type who likely starts his rookie year as a RT.
jmo.

Tano

Legend

If you saw how many times Goff got hit or pressured up the middle last year while in the pocket, you would change your tune a little.

However, as i have stated many times, we only need an upgrade at center. Everyone else is decent as long as Whitworth comes back.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

I'm not either. It wasn't bad at all. Some posts make it seem like the line was a sieve, but based on my non-coach eyes I didn't see it any better or worse than any other line during games.

They invested heavily in 2018 onwards in drafting and developing linemen, and they are getting better. Having said that, should always get upgrades if they see it. But yeah, whatever. I'm not worried.

Tano

Legend
I'm not either. It wasn't bad at all. Some posts make it seem like the line was a sieve, but based on my non-coach eyes I didn't see it any better or worse than any other line during games.

They invested heavily in 2018 onwards in drafting and developing linemen, and they are getting better. Having said that, should always get upgrades if they see it. But yeah, whatever. I'm not worried.
1612123784682.png

Sorry I had to post this lol

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I think center is the #1 need and focus now. Can’t see how we try Corbett at center with the all in on Stafford. We need a center now. We can draft an edge or hope lewis is that guy or someone else. Can’t hope/wish at center.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think center is the #1 need and focus now. Can’t see how we try Corbett at center with the all in on Stafford. We need a center now. We can draft an edge or hope lewis is that guy or someone else. Can’t hope/wish at center.
They may still try Corbett at Center. But they can't count on that from the planning side. So agree they definitely are gonna add a Center unless they are high on someone on the depth chart.

But at this point hopefully they're done proving they're smarter than everyone else. Go get a MFing Center please. And get a nice OG too who can pressure Corbs and Edwards on the interior and keep shit real.