I don't think the Rams do much on the offensive line.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Getting a competent C that doesn't get bullrushed so easily would do wonders for this OL. If we go back to the well with Blythe yet again, well that's dereliction of duty by the coach and GM.

Tano

Legend
Center is the only position that needs a huge upgrade.

Blythe too many times just OLE'd his blocks.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Center is the only position that needs a huge upgrade.

Blythe too many times just OLE'd his blocks.

I just think The Rams need to solidify the Center position.I could be from in house? Austin Blythe’s time has run out imo.Don’t think he is worth a ling term contract?

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I agree with everyone that's saying we need an upgrade at center regardless of how they go about it. But id also like to keep Blythe as a backup if he's cheap enough. I think he would do fine for a couple of games if we were to need him.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with everyone that's saying we need an upgrade at center regardless of how they go about it. But id also like to keep Blythe as a backup if he's cheap enough. I think he would do fine for a couple of games if we were to need him.
I’d volunteer to drive Blythe to the airport. I’ll even pack for him.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Our C position upgrade is a ‘must have’. Whether with the 2nd, or one of the three 3rds is up to Snead/McVay/Kromer. Or at least a 2nd tier FA. But Blythe is NOT an option any longer.

Now...

I am also among those that feel that moving Hav via trade might help with pass pro from the right side. This, in turn, would free up our TE’s a bit more as receiving weapons rather than having to help out Hav on pass plays. And that would consequently aid our beleaguered QB, whomever that might be. That’s a threefer, y’all. The replacement might already be in-house, btw. Boom or Evans? Possibly Edwards if a 2nd tier FA G/C has been signed then followed by a drafted C. Simply move the new FA to LG which would free up Edwards for RT.

Lots of moving pieces on this OL upgrade. Lots of options, but standing pat is NOT one of them.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Center and TE seem to be the starting point.

I thought fixing center as the top need would be realized once Sully and Blythe were exposed in 2018. I hope it is the actual plan this year. I have my doubts since it’s been glaring for the last two years and fixed with a band aid when surgery is required.

I am also among those that feel that moving Hav via trade might help with pass pro from the right side.
There is a thought in the back of my head that maybe McVay is going to get radical. And by that I mean load the QB roster with mobile and aggressive running types (think read-option skill types of which we have 3 now on the depth chart) and just swap them out when they get concussions and run a ton of half field reads on boots and misdirections (which he was already doing for Jared) as well as schemed runs and read-option.

Now if he does something like that then all of a sudden the OL doesn't look quite so bad. Center is absolutely going to be addressed so from there they probably have enough pieces to sustain a plus run game and the occasional 7 step drop to take a shot deep.

But again and for the record I want an elite OL. I want an OL that compares favorably to the great Rams lines of yore.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There is a thought in the back of my head that maybe McVay is going to get radical. And by that I mean load the QB roster with mobile and aggressive running types (think read-option skill types of which we have 3 now on the depth chart) and just swap them out when they get concussions and run a ton of half field reads on boots and misdirections (which he was already doing for Jared) as well as schemed runs and read-option.

Now if he does something like that then all of a sudden the OL doesn't look quite so bad. Center is absolutely going to be addressed so from there they probably have enough pieces to sustain a plus run game and the occasional 7 step drop to take a shot deep.

But again and for the record I want an elite OL. I want an OL that compares favorably to the great Rams lines of yore.

I’ve wanted that type of Oline since the Fisher days. I hope I get one before I die. McVay and Snead saw what the offense was when they gave More time to throw. I would think they’d be striving for that type of line play ever since. It was the first thing McVay addressed. I thought it would be his top priority every year.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Agreed. We need to improve our Center and LT position. Boom isn't gonna cut it. Although I've seen worse LTs. Shrugs

Memphis Ram

Legend

To be perfectly honest, I'd love to see it. The same offensive blueprint run this season with the addition of a speed threat and some called QB running plays.

And I say the same offensive blueprint because many of the passing plays seem to have very easy reads with obvious targets.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To be perfectly honest, I'd love to see it. The same offensive blueprint run this season with the addition of a speed threat and some called QB running plays.

And I say the same offensive blueprint because many of the passing plays seem to have very easy reads with obvious targets.
What's really interesting too is that Greg Roman has been running his simplified read shit with mobile QBs forever. But if McVay were to go that route (and again he's already got 3x read-option type QBs on the depth chart) it would be an instant trend.

Also structurally it would be a trend that helps to counter insane QB prices. I'd imagine the league is ripe for that type of thing.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I was thinking of this a couple of weeks back while watching Tasom Hill... at the time my thoughts were around cap management and how to avoid the big QB contract.

Interchangeable pieces like Tasom Hill. 2 of em. That’s how.

I hate that fucker. Speaking more to the concept, not the player.

Its not far fetched.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is why I'm going to look hard at the read-option QBs this year. IMO there may be more going on here schematically than we think.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is why I'm going to look hard at the read-option QBs this year. IMO there may be more going on here schematically than we think.

The obvious flaw today no team with a mobile QB, has a spare.

MachS

Hall of Fame
But again and for the record I want an elite OL. I want an OL that compares favorably to the great Rams lines of yore

Everyone can dream for an elite OL, but it isn't going to happen. We have zero elite lineman. We have zero pro bowl level OL currently, let alone all-pro caliber. Just a bunch of average Joes.

Losing Saffold(borderline prowbowl), Sulivan(ex-probowler), and a 3 years younger Whitworth(ex-probowler) is what happened and there's no way this OL will be back close to 2017/2018 form. How could it?? Upgrading center will make a difference but people have forgotten how many times Corbett, Edwards, Hav, and even Whit got beat this year. There were a decent amount of times they all lost 1 on 1s regularly. This OL will be average again next year.

So if you're McVay, knowing we will only have an average OL again next year... even after we upgrade at center. What is his best plan of action to improve the offense?? Goff will be limited again in what he can accomplish with next years line...100%. And how Goff goes is how the offense goes.

When you completely whiff on 3rd and 4th round lineman like Noteboom and Allen it sets you back.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still say we should have Larry Warford on the phone right now. Obviously, we'll need to ensure he's in shape. But if he is, he's a Pro Bowl RG. Before he opted out, he was reportedly looking to get paid $7 million per year (likely on a one year deal). That's generally what we should offer him. Now, I know you're asking yourself how we can afford it. Here's how. We offer Warford a one year $7 million deal worth $10 million in "max value" (basically, $3 million with certain hard to achieve incentives). Here's how you structure the contract:
Year 1: $2 million base salary + $1.25 million signing bonus
Year 2: $0 base salary + $1.25 million signing bonus
Year 3: $0 base salary + $1.25 million signing bonus
Year 4: $0 base salary + $1.25 million signing bonus

Basically, Warford is only on our books for $3.25 million this year despite it being a 1 year $7 million deal. The future years are voided, so we end up having $3.75 million in dead money on the books next year if we don't re-sign Warford. With TV deals around the corner, the key for us right now to have our cake and eat it too is to simply push money into future years. Kick the can down the road. There will come a year where we have to dump a bunch of dead money, rebuild, and have a down year, but we can put that off for awhile.

Haven't checked on the Titans cap situation but have to think they'll be in trouble and Saffold is getting older...

MachS

Hall of Fame
Getting a competent C that doesn't get bullrushed so easily would do wonders for this OL.

It will help, yes... but it wont "do wonders." In 2017/2018 we had 3 pro bowl caliber lineman. Next year we will have zero.

The line can be improved but it wont transform an average line into a great OL. Especially if we draft a rookie center that has to make all the protection calls, or if Goff is forced to make all the protection calls (something he struggles with). If we roll out a rookie 2nd/3rd round center there is a chance this line regresses IMO.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
Everyone can dream for an elite OL, but it isn't going to happen. We have zero elite lineman. We have zero pro bowl level OL currently, let alone all-pro caliber. Just a bunch of average Joes.

Losing Saffold(borderline prowbowl), Sulivan(ex-probowler), and a 3 years younger Whitworth(ex-probowler) is what happened and there's no way this OL will be back close to 2017/2018 form. How could it?? Upgrading center will make a difference but people have forgotten how many times Corbett, Edwards, Hav, and even Whit got beat this year. There were a decent amount of times they all lost 1 on 1s regularly. This OL will be average again next year.

So if you're McVay, knowing we will only have an average OL again next year... even after we upgrade at center. What is his best plan of action to improve the offense?? Goff will be limited again in what he can accomplish with next years line...100%. And how Goff goes is how the offense goes.

When you completely whiff on 3rd and 4th round lineman like Noteboom and Allen it sets you back.
You still get that center, with legit plans to continue to build the O-line in future years. If you know that it is a weakness but don't take steps to address it just because it won't produce immediate results then you are simply robbing Peter to pay Paul and we all know how that ends up.

This game is won and lost in the trenches. Skill players don't mean squat if they can't get the ball in their hands or holes opened up and qbs don't win playoff games when their oline gets dominated by a superior dline.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think a ton needs to be done to it this year to be honest but there is one area where I think we all agree we have to fix. The starting center isn't up to snuff for it to be considered a good OL. That either means a free agent or a draft pick or moving Corbett like some have suggested. We could use some depth as well tbh.