I don't think the Rams do much on the offensive line.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
You still get that center, with legit plans to continue to build the O-line in future years. If you know that it is a weakness but don't take steps to address it just because it won't produce immediate results then you are simply robbing Peter to pay Paul and we all know how that ends up.

This game is won and lost in the trenches. Skill players don't mean squat if they can't get the ball in their hands or holes opened up and qbs don't win playoff games when their oline gets dominated by a superior dline.

Did we not take steps to improve the OL last year? We traded for Corbett, started Edwards and Evans, who we drafted just two years after drafting Noteboom and Allen. And that resulted in a much improved 2020 line compared to 2019. It was night and day better. Just watch the film compared to 2019 and you'll see. Not to mention our line graded out well, top 1/3rd of the NFL in most metrics for 2020.

My point is, this team goes nowhere if Goff doesn't play well. We know that already after the last two seasons. And everyone is convinced if we have a great OL then Goff will get back to his 2017/2018 form. But WE CANT build a great OL for next year. Its just not possible. We will return 4 starters from this year who are all average. Upgrading center will help it but will not make it great like 2017/2018.

So if we can't give Goff a great OL for next year... what does that mean for next season? I think its fair to say we will be competitive for a playoff spot, but wont have a legit shot to win a SB. The point of building a team is to go win a SB. And the defense will regress next year as well.. it wont be ranked #1. So we will need the offense to pick up the slack. How does that happen? How do we get Goff to play well without a great OL? That is the single most important thing with our franchise, how to get more production out of the QB. That is how we will win and that is all that matters. And if we can't build a great OL for Goff then how will next year be any different from the last two seasons??

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Know what’s kinda ironic?

Rams have a ton of money invested in the following players:

Goff
Woods
Kupp
Higbee

And yet they lack a dominant OL in either the run or the pass to enable them getting maximum value from all those invested cap dollars.

One would think that maybe investments in the OL might augment the results from the investments in those 4 skill players?

Just a thought.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
So I guess I disagee with most. Too much money invested in Goff to play this out for a 3rd year. Goff with time is a very good QB. If your going to pay him 20+M then you have put him in a position to succeed. With the same oline we are going to continue with more and more Goff threads.

Memphis Ram

Legend
What's really interesting too is that Greg Roman has been running his simplified read shit with mobile QBs forever. But if McVay were to go that route (and again he's already got 3x read-option type QBs on the depth chart) it would be an instant trend.

Also structurally it would be a trend that helps to counter insane QB prices. I'd imagine the league is ripe for that type of thing.

Yep. I had the idea years ago watching Nick Marshall at Auburn.

Greg Roman has the running game down. But, I saw a clip where Kurt Warner questioned his passing game route combinations. If McVay can make a good mix of the two then that offense could really be special.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
Did we not take steps to improve the OL last year? We traded for Corbett, started Edwards and Evans, who we drafted just two years after drafting Noteboom and Allen. And that resulted in a much improved 2020 line compared to 2019. It was night and day better. Just watch the film compared to 2019 and you'll see. Not to mention our line graded out well, top 1/3rd of the NFL in most metrics for 2020.

My point is, this team goes nowhere if Goff doesn't play well. We know that already after the last two seasons. And everyone is convinced if we have a great OL then Goff will get back to his 2017/2018 form. But WE CANT build a great OL for next year. Its just not possible. We will return 4 starters from this year who are all average. Upgrading center will help it but will not make it great like 2017/2018.

So if we can't give Goff a great OL for next year... what does that mean for next season? I think its fair to say we will be competitive for a playoff spot, but wont have a legit shot to win a SB. The point of building a team is to go win a SB. And the defense will regress next year as well.. it wont be ranked #1. So we will need the offense to pick up the slack. How does that happen? How do we get Goff to play well without a great OL? That is the single most important thing with our franchise, how to get more production out of the QB. That is how we will win and that is all that matters. And if we can't build a great OL for Goff then how will next year be any different from the last two seasons??
Steps? Yes..

Those steps were not comparable to the steps taken on defense though.

I hear what you are saying, and it is legit.

I am simply saying to give the oline the same quality of attention as the other side of the ball.

Don't trade for JAGs and spend mid-round draft picks on the o-line unless you are okay with it being dominated by top-half of the league d-lines and your pocket passer QB's play being reflective of your choices as a GM/HC.

Also, definitely don't simply point your finger at your QB publicly unless you are also going to call out yourself and at least privately tell your QB that you are sorry that your decision making has failed him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Haven't checked on the Titans cap situation but have to think they'll be in trouble and Saffold is getting older...

If Saffold gets cut, I expect we'd come calling. But Tennessee is in a better situation than us in terms of cap and has other guys who aren't performing who can be cut. I would be surprised if they let Rodger go.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What's really interesting too is that Greg Roman has been running his simplified read shit with mobile QBs forever. But if McVay were to go that route (and again he's already got 3x read-option type QBs on the depth chart) it would be an instant trend.

Also structurally it would be a trend that helps to counter insane QB prices. I'd imagine the league is ripe for that type of thing.

The problem is that those sort of schemes tend to get figured out quickly unless you have a special talent at QB. And they don't tend to perform in the playoffs unless you have a QB who can win from the pocket. It's creative. It can win you games in the short term (ex. Tebow and the Broncos), but I don't see long-term sustainability.

Shuie3225

Starter
I personally would love to trade up and draft an elite prospect late round 1 if we can. If we're committed to drafting OL early that is.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Know what’s kinda ironic?

Rams have a ton of money invested in the following players:

Goff
Woods
Kupp
Higbee

And yet they lack a dominant OL in either the run or the pass to enable them getting maximum value from all those invested cap dollars.

One would think that maybe investments in the OL might augment the results from the investments in those 4 skill players?

Just a thought.

It is even more mind boggling when you pause to consider that, due to our o-line problems, Higbee is very often left in as a blocker.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well if we don't make a serious effort to fix this vastly overrated unit, we will see the same ultra-conservative, gutless offense that can only score by being perfect for 10-15 plays a drive.

How many obvious pass situations did we have where our line held up long enough? Not many.

Whitworth is an amazing guy and was an amazing tackle. Now he's just a guy tbh... and he looks like a probowler compared to the rest of the unit.
However good Havenstein can be in the run game, sometimes, his consistent struggles against speed rushers is a major issue and he is another guy I think we have overrated.
Noteboom is only solid in pass pro. He will likely never have the skillset to move DL off the ball.
Every good Rams offense has had a great O line. Maybe 2 or 3 guys in the league like Russell Wilson can manage to score points with a subpar O-line, but we can't.
I don't know how they fix it, but relying on Whitworth and this same group is a surefire way to get our QB ran out of town.

We need blue chip talent on the line. And not just 1 former pro bowler who is 40.
If Blythe is our center next year and Havenstein is our right tackle, prepare to see lots of more of the same.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
It is even more mind boggling when you pause to consider that, due to our o-line problems, Higbee is very often left in as a blocker.
Tight end is a tweener position for a reason. Athletic enough to be a matchup problem for lbs/safetys and big enough to be an effective blocker vs dline. Whats the point of that if you don't use the size to help block? Might as well eliminate it and put another receiver in.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Tight end is a tweener position for a reason. Athletic enough to be a matchup problem for lbs/safetys and big enough to be an effective blocker vs dline. Whats the point of that if you don't use the size to help block? Might as well eliminate it and put another receiver in.
Wish we would've played Higbee and Mundt in 12 personel more. Mundt is a monster blocker and sneaky athletic.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
I mean, not to mention the uncertainty a TE elicits in a defense when said TE is a legit blocker AND receiver. You have to use him in a manner conducive to perpetuating that uncertainty. Could you use a 6th oline? Yeah! But that would certainly eliminate most of the question. A defense (my [man] defense) would simply put the extra LB/safety/corner on another predetermined skill player and or in a spy role. Obviously, key on the run in that situation so probably spy the hb and either double on hb route or if the rb delays then kick to double the nearest receiver.

You can't play an effective 'tweener that way.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I am simply saying to give the oline the same quality of attention as the other side of the ball.

Don't trade for JAGs and spend mid-round draft picks on the o-line unless you are okay with it being dominated by top-half of the league d-lines

I don't think you're understanding my point fully. I'm talking about right now, this off-season.. what can we do to improve the OL and make the offense better? You want us to simply "give the OL the same attention as the other side of the ball." The problem is in reality WE CANT. We're not going to spend big FA money to bring in two new elite starters. We have no 1st round pick to bring in a blue chip OL prospect. We're going to upgrade center yes, but returning 4 other starters will not make this a great OL. Sorry it just wont. Even if it improves a little bit, it will still be middle of the pack in NFL rankings.

The key to our team improving is getting better QB play. Flat out 100%. We had a top 10 running attack, the #1 defense, yet our offense looked horrible at times due to bad QB play. Blame Goff, blame the OL.. whatever you want to do. But the fact is we MUST improve our QB production from what we've seen 2 years straight now. That's why McVay is pissed. And my point is if Goff needs a great OL to get back to his 2017/2018 form..that is a big problem right now. We had 3 pro bowl caliber players in 2017/2018. THREE. Next year we will have zero. The line in 2021 will not resemble those lines from Goff's two good years.

So if that's the case... If next year in 2021 we cant give Goff the OL he needs to be a great QB...Then wtf are we doing?? Why have a $35M QB play subpar football behind an average OL? It doesn't make sense. Doesn't it make more sense to find QB that can operate behind an average OL? The OL needs an entire rebuild to get back to 2018 form. I just dont see a mid round rookie center making this line that much better relative to what we saw this year. And if it's just an average line, and not great we can expect similar results from Goff as we've seen his entire career when he didnt have a great OL.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I dunno why, but I think they do nothing on the OL except maybe spend a late round pick on a typical Kromer pick.

I just get the feeling that they feel they can keep coaching them up.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think they like Blythe.

I dunno. There are times where a coach or org loves a player and I just don't see it... but I don't sign the checks so I don't think anyone's asking...

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I would be surprised if they even picked up in offensive lineman before the fourth round.

I think they'll stay with their same scheme of rehabbing other teams cast offs, as they did with Corbett, and developing players they pick up in the 5th, 6th and 7th round.

I'd be really surprised if they spent any real money on a free agent or use a high draft pick on the OL.

It's just the nature of the beast.

Desperate teams that are just starting out a rebuild with a lot of extra money pay the big money for the free agents while the established teams develop their lines.

We are now one of those established teams that will, and have, put our money into elite players.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The problem is that those sort of schemes tend to get figured out quickly unless you have a special talent at QB. And they don't tend to perform in the playoffs unless you have a QB who can win from the pocket. It's creative. It can win you games in the short term (ex. Tebow and the Broncos), but I don't see long-term sustainability.
Agreed on the longevity. There's a ton of drawbacks of course the biggest being what seems like a soft cap on how far you can go in the playoffs. But necessity is the mother of invention. McVay's a trendsetter too.

I've admired Greg Roman's approach for many years now he's one of the best at maximizing those types. Not something I think is likely by any means. But the thought of it keeps nagging at me.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
I don't think you're understanding my point fully. I'm talking about right now, this off-season.. what can we do to improve the OL and make the offense better? You want us to simply "give the OL the same attention as the other side of the ball." The problem is in reality WE CANT. We're not going to spend big FA money to bring in two new elite starters. We have no 1st round pick to bring in a blue chip OL prospect. We're going to upgrade center yes, but returning 4 other starters will not make this a great OL. Sorry it just wont. Even if it improves a little bit, it will still be middle of the pack in NFL rankings.

The key to our team improving is getting better QB play. Flat out 100%. We had a top 10 running attack, the #1 defense, yet our offense looked horrible at times due to bad QB play. Blame Goff, blame the OL.. whatever you want to do. But the fact is we MUST improve our QB production from what we've seen 2 years straight now. That's why McVay is pissed. And my point is if Goff needs a great OL to get back to his 2017/2018 form..that is a big problem right now. We had 3 pro bowl caliber players in 2017/2018. THREE. Next year we will have zero. The line in 2021 will not resemble those lines from Goff's two good years.

So if that's the case... If next year in 2021 we cant give Goff the OL he needs to be a great QB...Then wtf are we doing?? Why have a $35M QB play subpar football behind an average OL? It doesn't make sense. Doesn't it make more sense to find QB that can operate behind an average OL? The OL needs an entire rebuild to get back to 2018 form. I just dont see a mid round rookie center making this line that much better relative to what we saw this year. And if it's just an average line, and not great we can expect similar results from Goff as we've seen his entire career when he didnt have a great OL.
Fair enough. I slightly misunderstood you.

My counter question would then be if we dont have the ability to spend on F/A's and don't have the necessary draft capital to substantially upgrade the o-line, then how do we go about getting a QB that can play at an elite level behind an average o-line? You know, because if you make a move like that...one that involves getting rid of Goff (obviously) and a hucklefuckton of non existent #1 draft picks, you'd better be certain that that move would instantly elevate your team into a perennial SB contender.

I'm not sure that is even remotely possible my man.

I mean, I wouldn't be opposed to getting a desean watson...I'm just not sure that it means what everyone thinks it would...I think we would be sacrificing too much for a right now that probably wouldn't even be good enough for 3 years...except in 3 years our defensive superstars are in the twilight of their careers and we didn't have number 1 picks to attempt to backfill...unless we had traded one or both of them away for draft picks and then you had better pray that you struck gold because of the stars didn't align for you then every single person in the football world is now shaking their head and giving you the good ole "tisk tisk."

Sorry for the insane run-on.

Tano

Legend
I agree with everyone that's saying we need an upgrade at center regardless of how they go about it. But id also like to keep Blythe as a backup if he's cheap enough. I think he would do fine for a couple of games if we were to need him.
I agree with this. He is fine against the weaker teams. He is just terrible against teams with a good pass rush.