I don't think the Rams do much on the offensive line.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Is it panic or just being curious/cautious about which veteran players will need to be traded or cut to get under the Salary CAP ? Spotrac has us currently $35 mil. over the CAP, so something has to give ....

If Whitworth & Havenstein are lost, how successful can our OL be expected to perform ?

Starters ?

LT) Noteboom or draft pick
LG) Edwards
C) Corbett
RG) Brewer or Anchrum
RT) Noteboom/Evans or draft pick

More than ever I expect our first pick in the draft to be an OT, a future LT type who likely starts his rookie year as a RT.
jmo.
Yes IF a LT prospect is available they are sure to look hard @ them.

That cap hit (near $24 mil.) the next 2 seasons for a 40 yr old @ LT is sure to get a lot of :shock: attention by Demoff & Snead. The fact that LT Joe Noteboom is in his last season under contract will too. Kromer sure does not have a need for any RT's, nor LG's or RG's. If all of the OL'ers remain.

McVay will not start a rookie center so when a center is drafted, either very late 2nd day or early 3rd day it will be for the purpose to be groomed for the 2022 season when centers Corbett, Allen & Shelton will be UFA's. But you know an OC will be drafted maybe even two.

Rams must replace ER/OLBer Floyd & CB Troy Hill early in the draft. That can not be avoided.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I still think they tag Floyd. Somehow.

Once that happens we're in pretty good shape. Biggest need is Center which they can get in round 2 or 3. If they get lucky with an LT type dropping take him. Or if it's a good edge fit take him. Same with wideout if there's speed who can separate run to the podium.

I am so fucking stoked for 2021 man. So stoked.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not either. It wasn't bad at all. Some posts make it seem like the line was a sieve, but based on my non-coach eyes I didn't see it any better or worse than any other line during games.

They invested heavily in 2018 onwards in drafting and developing linemen, and they are getting better. Having said that, should always get upgrades if they see it. But yeah, whatever. I'm not worried.
LT-Whitworth has 2 years left on his contract and will be 40 when it's up
LG-Edwards Signed the 2022 Noteboom signed thru 2021
C Blythe a free agent Allen a bust and signed thru 2021
RG Corbett signed thru 2021
RT Havenstein signed thru 2022

We get the impression that McVay won't start a rookie so either people behind Whit and Corbett at a minimum will have to start in a year or somebody signed in free agency.

That leaves the other 3 starters gone the year after which means with rookies on the OL a taboo starter for McVay we'll have to draft 3 guys this year so they can start in their 2nd year or we'll have to resign some of those guys.

There's no denying that the OLine needs to be addressed over the next couple of years.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just keep imagining what this line will do if they can hit on a Center in the draft. With a good pivot this line should put a back like Akers into the 200 yard threat range on the ground. And the impact that will have on them getting the deep threat established again is real.

Then I think WR and Center first two picks in some combination. As long as they don't let Floyd leave our edge group is passable. But if he leaves then Edge is in there as a top need.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Rams probably won't do much for the offensive line but they fucking should...I feel like every offseason is a Chopped episode for Kromer.

McVay stays servin up that motherfucker a dish full of castoffs and late round picks.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
If the Rams move on trading Goff then the OL needs will seriously change. McVay might strongly desire to change his offensive game plan with a more mobile, more pocket awareness & less prone to fumble or turn the ball over QB. I really think he is ready to move on from what we saw in 2020. He knows what he wants to do & Goff can not deliver that for him at this stage in time.

Reference to AW ....whats stands in the way is that 2021/2022 cap hit. For AW to be a Ram in 2021 he must restructure. Not any more complex than that.

With a new QB like I described above RT Havenstein's value goes up dramatically & there is no need to move on from him any longer.

Rams have a good young amount OL'ers signed like Edwards 3rd season/ Evans 3rd season/ Anchrum 2nd season/ Brewer 2nd season/ Shelton 3rd season/ Allen 4th season/ Demby in his 3rd season/ Noteboom 4th season to cover easily for the Corbett to move to starting center & replacing AW.

I would use those cap savings to go towards hooking up ER/OLB Floyd in a long term contract. Then draft a new ER to go with {medical problem} Lewis/ Okoronkwo/ & Hollins. Aaron Donald needs those two strong talented pass-rushing ER's to push the QB to step up into his area inside.

Besides drafting an ER/OLB, DC Morris needs the Rams to draft another CB on day 2 to replace Hill. Another day #2 selection need to be our future OC & replacement for LT Noteboom in 2022. Day #3 should follow up with a mobile QB/ pure speed WR & RB. My thoughts at the moment subject to change:biggrin:
I've been watching the NFL since 1968 and I've never seen a group of Scouts so adept at finding good corners and safeties in the later rounds and even as undrafted free agents.
And we seem to pick them a year ahead of when we need them unless they really stood out like Jordan Fuller did for us this year.
That year of development is always important.

As far as Goff is concerned, I don't really see what the problem is other than in 2019 his offensive line sucked and it started a small downward spiral.
It was still apparent last year even though the line has improved somewhat, it needs to improve more.
I our offense could take a big step forward with more of a deep threat game and a stronger Center.

Keeping our defense strong will be more of a trick I believe than improving our offense.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Once that happens we're in pretty good shape. Biggest need is Center which they can get in round 2 or 3. If they get lucky with an LT type dropping take him. Or if it's a good edge fit take him. Same with wideout if there's speed who can separate run to the podium.

I am so fucking stoked for 2021 man. So stoked.
Right now Merlin when it comes to resigns & any new other team's UFA prospects .......I will be greatly pleased if Snead finds a way to keep ER Floyd & gets him hooked to a long-term contract say 4 to 5 yrs. Rams will regret now keeping Floyd. I think that Okoronkwo, Hollins, Lewis & Lawler should work out fighting for the starting at the other side in place of Ebukam. They are all young but with a veteran like Floyd here :cheers2:.

As I have posted no way McVay will start a Rookie @ OC so Kromer has 3 OC types in Shelton, Allen & Corbett who have been in the NFL since 2018 now entering their 4th season. Corbett has the most NFL games & the most starts for Kromer. However, all 3 will be UFA's after this upcoming season so the Rams Org. must be prepared for this by getting a talented strong but mobile athletic OC in this draft. He needs to be put on the fast track of grooming unless the Rams can sign one of the 3 above to be the starter in 2022.

Kromer really only has 2 LT's of his signed 10 OL'ers. Evans is not an LT prospect I have no idea about Anchrum but I have my doubts about him really be swing OT material. Swing OG, yes starting RT, yes, starting or back up LT, nope.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@BonifayRam much of McVay's insistence on experience at Center has been due to our QB. Making it easier on him. With a vet coming in it would not surprise me if they go that route. I really like this group up top in the draft. :cheers2:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
@BonifayRam much of McVay's insistence on experience at Center has been due to our QB. Making it easier on him. With a vet coming in it would not surprise me if they go that route. I really like this group up top in the draft. :cheers2:
Help me clarify what you posted .......Since McVay arrived in LA s the Ram HC in 2017. The starter @ the center post for the past 4 seasons has been a non-rookie. The closest was the starting center in 2019 who was only in his 2nd season that was McVay drafted interior OL, Brian Allen. Allen began his season @ center with first-time starter Noteboom @ LG & 2nd season starter Blythe @ RG.

So your thought here that with a different QB other than Goff like a veteran QB like Stafford the demand of having an experienced center is no longer a priority in our HC mind?

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Center in FA is priority #1. Even more so than Floyd. No way we draft a C and play him. But we still need to draft an interior OL (or OT) somewhere in the 2nd-4th round. At least one.
I suspect we get a FA center and draft an edge with our first pick. That guy along with Lewis, OBO, etc. can fight it out in TC to replace Floyd. Drop off likely, but needed for an increase at center.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Center in FA is priority #1. Even more so than Floyd. No way we draft a C and play him. But we still need to draft an interior OL (or OT) somewhere in the 2nd-4th round. At least one.
I suspect we get a FA center and draft an edge with our first pick. That guy along with Lewis, OBO, etc. can fight it out in TC to replace Floyd. Drop off likely, but needed for an increase at center.
Do we have an ideal which of the 3 third-round Ram selections was traded to Detroit this year?

I do not see any impact UFA centers that would compare to the impact or the talent of ER/OLB Floyd. Plus the salary cost of the UFA OC's (IMO) are way overpriced:

Austin Reiter Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac
Ted Karras Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac
Matt Skura Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac
Corey Linsley Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

I have very big doubts about ER/OLB Terrell Lewis knee health to start & play in the NFL. Speaking of bad health issues Og Okoronkwo is a walking medical wreak since he was drafted. Okoronkwo missed all 16 gms in 2018, then he missed all of 2019 TC & preseason & the first 6 regular season gms & then he missed another 6 or more games in 2020. He is only contracted for this next season. OG has never started a gm yet! Justin Hollins was a WWC when he was signed by the Rams. Hollins has never started an NFL game either. The fact is None of the Rams signed OLB'ers have ever started an NFL.

Tano

Legend
As people have stated in other threads - lets go Super Bowl or bust with FA acquisitions by restructuring Donald and Ramsey

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
As people have stated in other threads - lets go Super Bowl or bust with FA acquisitions by restructuring Donald and Ramsey
I think by trading for Stafford and losing two first-round and a third-round pick, we have definitely gone Super Bowl or bust.

We just re-signed Donald the defensive MVP of the league and Ramsey within the last couple years.

It would be bad form to ask them to restructure so early in their re-signing.

Usually, a restructure will come along with an extension three or so years into a long-term contract.

I think we just have to trust our Scouts to find us these hidden-gem players in lower rounds and the coaches to coach up the players we have.

The Coaches and Scouts have done an amazing job in doing that so far.

Psycho_X

Legend

Was wondering if this would be a possibility assuming they do restructuring to free up a bunch of money. The current LB estimate for a franchise tag is $15.3 million which is probably out of the realm of possibility. At that point we might as well sign him and spread money into later years too. Unless they thought they could possibly trade him as a tagged player. Obviously they wouldn't get two 1s but could see what they'd get. But that's very rare to happen. Idk, I would also prefer to keep him though. He was a great compliment to AD and was a huge piece in the contain game. A much more complete player than Fowler was.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Was wondering if this would be a possibility assuming they do restructuring to free up a bunch of money. The current LB estimate for a franchise tag is $15.3 million which is probably out of the realm of possibility. At that point we might as well sign him and spread money into later years too. Unless they thought they could possibly trade him as a tagged player. Obviously they wouldn't get two 1s but could see what they'd get. But that's very rare to happen. Idk, I would also prefer to keep him though. He was a great compliment to AD and was a huge piece in the contain game. A much more complete player than Fowler was.
Yeah it's a hard call. Floyd is one of my favorite players on this team but I will admit I am leery of locking him up to a long deal. Simply because the guy didn't blow up until his contract season, after sort of JAGging his way through the first part of his contract. It might not be as cap friendly as a long term deal but in this situation I am leaning toward tagging him.

A trade would be good too though, however I think to do that you need to show you can create cap room not like anyone will pony up picks when you're cap strapped and they think you might not be able to afford the tag. The idea of getting picks from a guy I have been trying to accept will move on in FA is very attractive to me lol.

But one could argue that if we do free up that much cap space why not go get a FA center or other OL with that money and draft the Edge. And it's at that point I guess the question to ask is: of the Edge, C, and WR options in this draft which two look the strongest and/or most liable to be there when we pick in rounds 2 and 3.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
As to a restructuring, there is language that allows for the Rams to unilaterally do it. Also, it’s an accounting procedure and doesn’t impact player pay negatively. It either guarantees future payments or pays them now.

Those type of moves do not require extensions although the team will typically notify the agent as a courtesy.

If anything, it’s a vote of confidence because it cements future commitments. The harder restructuring happens when teams mid-season want to restructure money into the year (I think that’s a relic of the past with the cap rollover now but there are still times to do it). The only real reason to essentially move money backwards into the current year as opposed to using the cap rollover is to make it easier to trade/cut a player. That, iirc, requires player approval and sometimes players don’t want that.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
5 OL questions LA Rams must answer before 2021 NFL Draft
5 OL questions LA Rams must answer before 2021 NFL Draft (ramblinfan.com)
1613151024833.png

The LA Rams have a plan in place, and by all accounts, it’s likely about winning now. Like it or not, the Rams got older at the quarterback position. Six years older to be exact. So this team has gone from a path of gradual improvement to scaling a cliff to improve now. That changes so many things about the LA Rams construct of a 2021 roster.

Where did the Rams fall short in 2020? The cheap and easy answer is to simply proclaim it was the quarterback play. But that’s no more valid than saying it was the defense’s fault. After all. the LA Rams were never shut out and averaged over three touchdowns per game. So it’s not that simple if we’re truly honest.

Brutal honesty. It’s really the only way for the Rams to scale the cliff to rise from exiting in the Divisional Round of the NFL Playoffs to representing the NFC conference at SoFi Stadium in Super Bowl LVI. Just two wins. So close, and yet, so far. Can these Rams find it within themselves to find two more postseason wins next year? Or can the Rams find three more regular-season wins to have a shorter path and home-field advantage next year?

Of course, the key to it all is not just swapping quarterbacks, but how well can the Rams customize the entire offensive roster to accommodate the new guy? QB Matthew Stafford is the only veteran quarterback who could lose a footrace to former quarterback Jared Goff. If ‘pristine pocket’ was truly a thing for Goff, then it must be even more critical for the Rams to achieve for Stafford. To do so, the LA Rams must use caution for 2021.

Spending too little means that the Rams will fall short. Spending too much will upset the financial cart. Somehow, the LA Rams must assemble an offensive line for 2021 that will not only play very well but ensure that the age and limits of existing veterans are removed as seamlessly as possible.
1613150626076.png

Center Blythe
What are the chances that the Rams re-sign center Austin Blythe? Well, at about the midpoint in the season, I would have placed those odds at 95 percent certainty. After all, the Rams released center Cohl Cabral from the practice squad and knew the entire time that Blythe was only on a one-year deal. So that was evidence that he would be a priority signing.

But as the season wore on, Blythe’s play declined somewhat. Yes, he made good plays. But there were plays where a defender arrived just as the football did. And the result was devastating. If there was a singular Achilles heel to the Rams offense in 2020, it was that A-gap blitz.

So now, the question becomes this. Will the Rams bring back Austin Blythe for another year? There is an argument to do so. The Rams truly have no heir apparent on the roster. While 2019 starter Brian Allen could resume the starting role, he was pushed around pretty easily that year. Of course, the Rams have the option to route another offensive lineman to the center spot like Austin Corbett or Tremayne Anchrum, and simply refitting another lineman to the guard position.

But with the trade of Jared Goff, if the Rams intend to make a change at the center position, this would be a perfect time to do so. The Rams did reportedly target Michigan center, Cesar Ruiz, in the 2020 NFL Draft. Unfortunately, the New Orleans Saints selected him in round one. Will this be the year for the Rams to invest in a center? Signing Blythe will cost the Rams approximately $6 million /year this year. He is a solid center, but not the type of player who will shine against elite defenders.

Getting the band back together again?
Will the Rams stick with the same offensive linemen in 2021 until the wheels fall off? Of course, that may need a bit of explaining which we are more than happy to provide. You see, the 2020 offseason was filled with outcries from fans and analysts that the LA Rams offensive line from 2019 was terrible, and the Rams needed to distance themselves from the player projected to leave due to expired contracts.

Instead, the Rams re-signed all free agent offensive linemen in 2020. That included the likes of left tackle Andrew Whitworth, center Austin Blythe, backup interior offensive lineman Coleman Shelton and blocking tight end Johnny Mundt. It made a great deal of sense in 2020. The Rams offensive line was deeply undervalued. Players would heal, and by doing so, improve. And the logistics of the 2020 NFL season provided teams with returning veterans a distinct advantage over other teams.

The Rams unapologetically took full advantage of that situation. Not only did the Rams return the previous season’s five starters from 2019, but they reassembled virtually the entire offensive line depth chart into this past season. That paid huge dividends. Even when injuries impacted offensive linemen in 2020, the Rams had experienced former starters capable of sliding into the offensive line.

Now the question is, can the Rams be content to wash, rinse and repeat for another year? After all, the team is experiencing another season. Younger players get more experience, while older players become one-year older. So the decision of when to start the swapping of experience for youthful development comes into question. Of course, that is even more complicated now as the team has exchanged youthful development for experience at the quarterback position.
1613151255702.png

A big decision over Big Whit
And so, it’s time to address the elephant in the room. Is Andrew Whitworth capable of another year or two starting at left tackle? While there is no doubt about Big Whit’s dedication and commitment to ensuring that the LA Rams get the best out of him whenever he steps onto the field, the years of playing at one of the most physically-demanding spots on the football team are taking their toll.

Whitworth suffered an MCL injury in week 10 of the 2020 NFL season. While younger players injured against the Seattle Seahawks failed to return, Whitworth pushed himself to be back in time for the NFL Playoffs. How effectively did he play? Some estimates place his return somewhere between 60-80 percent of his full-healthy self. But now the question becomes at what cost?

Before anyone heads straight to the comments section, let me explain. I love what Andrew Whitworth does for the LA Rams, what he can do for the LA Rams, and how he has poured all that he has onto the field and into the future careers of his young teammates. But as that good friend, I have to pose the most important question of all: When is enough, enough?

There can only be one of three endings to Andrew Whitworth’s career with the LA Rams. Either he will have a great season and choose to retire on a high note. He will have a less-than-hoped-for season, and he will be a salary cap or roster casualty. Or worst of all, he will suffer another injury that will be so devastating that it will end his football career.

In my heart and in my mind, I prefer the first of the three options. That means that the LA Rams must get busy developing and promoting his replacement, or draft one. Joseph Noteboom played rather well off injured reserve at the position during Whitworth’s absence. Is it time to let Andrew Whitworth enjoy his retirement with his family? If not now, then when?
1613151412612.png

Improve optics at right tackle
Who is competing with Rob Havenstein at right tackle? That’s a very good question. From what we observed in 2020, perhaps nobody was ever planned for the role. But that may not be a wise choice for the Rams this year. After all, 2019 was not so long ago, and Havenstein truly struggled in that season.

Rob Havenstein most certainly had a rebound season. He enjoyed a career-best regular season in 2018 of 1101 snaps giving up just two quarterback sacks and two penalties. But in the 2018 postseason, he was guilty of two penalties in just 208 snaps. That downturn seemed to carry over into the 2019 season when he allowed five quarterback sacks and committed eight penalties in just 616 offensive snaps.

2020 was a return to very good play. In 1,117 offensive snaps, he allowed four quarterback sacks and committed five infractions. That performance was good enough to earn a grade from Pro Football Focus of 80.0. But in the postseason he played 122 offensive snaps and allowed a quarterback sack. That dropped his performance back to a postseason grade of 72.7.

The LA Rams need to win. But if quarterback Jared Goff was a limiting factor when the going got tough, then so too does Havenstein create a glass ceiling for this offense. Should the Rams try former RT Bobby Evans in a starting role in 2021? There was an expectation that Evans might be given a shot to compete for the role in 2020. Will that happen in 2021? However the Rams structure their depth chart, it’s clear that the ‘needs more competition’ must encompass more than the quarterback position.

Time for some younger guys?
The LA Rams have quietly gathered young, talented, and solid depth for the team at the offensive line position. Now the question is, which of those young players are ready to step up? After all, the mad-scientist of the Rams offensive line is the very accomplished offensive line coach Aaron Kromer. Ever since he orchestrated a masterful job of duct taping the offensive front together through the 2019 season, he’s been working at an express lane pace.

The Rams have plenty of ‘young talent’ to work with. The Rams have 2020 rookie OL Tremayne Anchrum, returning OT Chandler Brewer who opted out of the 2020 NFL season. The team will have another year of OL Jamil Demby.

And of course, the usual younger linemen who saw little to some spot duty in 2020 like C Brian Allen, OT Joseph Noteboom, and versatile OL Bobby Evans. The team even has an opportunity to re-sign center Austin Blythe, IOL Coleman Shelton, and TE Johnny Mundt this offseason. And they will all have the benefit of getting another year of quality development from Coach Kromer.

But like a kink in the garden hose, young players need to progress to the next step. At some point, the Rams will need to give younger offensive linemen the opportunity to shine. Clearly, OL David Edwards was ready for a larger role on the team. The same can be said for teammate Austin Corbett.

Some will panic, and throw shade at any discussion about the offensive line. After all, it was ‘good enough’ to get the Rams into the playoffs, wasn’t it? Well, the Rams are going to need a much-improved running game in 2021 to compliment the throwing arm of new quarterback Matthew Stafford. And that means, before the LA Rams plan for the 2021 NFL draft, they will need answers about their offensive line.

The 2021 NFL season will not benefit from any rookies selected in this year’s draft. So the Rams will need to upgrade in other ways for this season. But 2022 is just around the corner, and rookies chosen in the 2021 NFL Draft will certainly have a great deal to say about the starting five in that year.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This article above is all over the place.I don’t think it is that hard to see how young The Rams offensive line still is.The truth is in 2021 The Rams offensive line is fine.

In 2022 Whitworth,Corbett,Havenstien,& Noteboom all become Free Agents

Evans & Edwards are the future.

The Rams have to make some big decisions to structure this Offensive Line right.It’s a LOG JAM.

I’ve never been a Brian Allen fan,but still he is a Kromer guy.The Rams(Mcvay) has never put a big emphasis at center.Coleman Shelton has been kept on the roster & McKromer since Day 1 has said they are teachers of Men.

Big Whitworth is all about Mentoring $ leading by example.It was what The Rams gave up to get Matthew Stafford that makes me believe in this group as well.
Look at Cam Akers who was the Youngest Ram & finished with such promise.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My conclusion is having an open mind,but Havenstien might need to be traded. Then The Rams could look into the draft again.