I don't think the Rams do much on the offensive line.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Curious to see how Tremayne Anchrum is doing. He was our only linemen drafted last season in the 7th round. Redshirting has certainly helped our draftees contribute by their 2nd or 3rd year

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Curious to see how Tremayne Anchrum is doing. He was our only linemen drafted last season in the 7th round. Redshirting has certainly helped our draftees contribute by their 2nd or 3rd year

He didn’t redshirt,and what is your example of others?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Anchrum was effectively “redshirted” as a rookie. Game-day active but rarely saw the field but for FGs and XPs.

Anchrum did play a few snaps on offense, and to be fair to him, he didn't look too out of place. He's definitely in the mix at almost every position (don't know if he could play center, but he's certainly intelligent and can play everywhere else). And if we get Chandler Brewer back, we have another player who can play a multitude of positions.

I agree with drafting two offensive linemen, but I also subscribe to the Corbett-at-center option.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
what is your example of others?

Josh Reynolds, Obo Okoronkwo, Micah Kiser, Sebastian Joseph-Day, Greg Gaines, and Nick Scott were not starting/getting significant reps during their rookie season. Now they're either starting or contributing well on the rotation.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Anchrum did play a few snaps on offense, and to be fair to him, he didn't look too out of place. He's definitely in the mix at almost every position (don't know if he could play center, but he's certainly intelligent and can play everywhere else). And if we get Chandler Brewer back, we have another player who can play a multitude of positions.

I agree with drafting two offensive linemen, but I also subscribe to the Corbett-at-center option.
Are to looking for a center & a future starting LT in the draft Memento?

That's what I am desiring.

Appears to be the Rams have plenty of RT/ RG/ LG's types (Havenstein/ Brewer/ Evans/ Anchrum/ Edwards/ Corbett/ Demby/ Allen) among this contracted cadre of OL'ers with 1 bonafide center type in the versatile Coleman Shelton. So if Corbett does move to the center there should be a good selection of OL'ers to plug into the RG post.

Would surprise me at all, if Kromer worked in Brian Allen at that vacated RG post. Allen had a good many starts in college @ OG more than he had @ OC. He would have obtained the most experience (4th season) in the NFL of what the Rams have in reserve along with Noteboom. Allen knows this Kromer outside blocking scheme well. The demands of the RG post fits what Allen has to offer talent & skills-wise.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Are to looking for a center & a future starting LT in the draft Memento?

That's what I am desiring.

Appears to be the Rams have plenty of RT/ RG/ LG's types (Havenstein/ Brewer/ Evans/ Anchrum/ Edwards/ Corbett/ Demby/ Allen) among this contracted cadre of OL'ers with 1 bonafide center type in the versatile Coleman Shelton. So if Corbett does move to the center there should be a good selection of OL'ers to plug into the RG post.

Would surprise me at all, if Kromer worked in Brian Allen at that vacated RG post. Allen had a good many starts in college @ OG more than he had @ OC. He would have obtained the most experience (4th season) in the NFL of what the Rams have in reserve along with Noteboom. Allen knows this Kromer outside blocking scheme well. The demands of the RG post fits what Allen has to offer talent & skills-wise.

Yeah, a center and a potential left tackle are what I'm thinking of. Demby and Allen aren't even on my radar, they've fallen so far from grace. Anchrum has played left tackle (when Noteboom went down with an injury and at practice when Whitworth took the practice off), as has Brewer (last year). I'm not sure how well they've played, but they have played. Then you still have Noteboom and Corbett who have their contracts expire in 2021-2022, and Edwards/Evans who can play right tackle. But a true left tackle to replace Whitworth and a potential center? Yeah.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Anchrum did play a few snaps on offense
I agree and I am hopeful on Anchrum but I was pushing back on So Rams’ comment that Anchrum was not ‘redshirted’.

It’s a college concept but Anchrum was effectively ‘redshirted’ in 2020.

An even better example would be Sebastian Joseph Day who rarely even dressed in his rookie season, started and was OK in his second year and really good his third season.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

the trouble with the red shirt year on players that only have 4 year contracts is if they have an injury or are playing behind another player is that you need to sign them in their 3rd year with only 1 year of play to judge them on. or you have to let them get to year 4 and to many want to play out that year and test the market.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hate to show my age again but I'd stick Anchrum at OG/C due to his height. Centers nowadays are tall as F but I think there's an advantage to the QB being able to see over them. And I know he's got the arm length and I recall Kromer talking him up as a LT but I don't think he's got the feet to hold down LT for you through the playoffs.

Put his ass inside and let him compete for a job. Maybe he is the unsung piece on the roster that leads the Rams to move Hav and slide Edwards over. Which can either net us cap space alone OR can be used to move money to the interior. IMO that's the ideal path forward just don't know what the Rams think about Edwards and Evans at RT.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Anchrum was effectively “redshirted” as a rookie. Game-day active but rarely saw the field but for FGs and XPs.

He was the first or second sub in during the season.Yes- Covid might of been apart of him getting playing time.The reason is he was not good enough to play much else.If he had played better he would have kept that spot.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Hate to show my age again but I'd stick Anchrum at OG/C due to his height. Centers nowadays are tall as F but I think there's an advantage to the QB being able to see over them. And I know he's got the arm length and I recall Kromer talking him up as a LT but I don't think he's got the feet to hold down LT for you through the playoffs.

Put his ass inside and let him compete for a job. Maybe he is the unsung piece on the roster that leads the Rams to move Hav and slide Edwards over. Which can either net us cap space alone OR can be used to move money to the interior. IMO that's the ideal path forward just don't know what the Rams think about Edwards and Evans at RT.

I mean, David Bakhtiari is one of the best left tackles in the game, and he's barely 6'4". I think Anchrum could play at left tackle in a pinch.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I mean, David Bakhtiari is one of the best left tackles in the game, and he's barely 6'4". I think Anchrum could play at left tackle in a pinch.
Stop poking holes in my old man theory. :ROFLMAO:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Josh Reynolds, Obo Okoronkwo, Micah Kiser, Sebastian Joseph-Day, Greg Gaines, and Nick Scott were not starting/getting significant reps during their rookie season. Now they're either starting or contributing well on the rotation.

Greg Gaines got playing time last season. He beat out Smart this season.

OBo was injured.
Kiser has been injured a lot & a UDRFA took his Starting spot.SJD beat out that other three name DT (Jet) Myers-smith or whoever.

Scott was brought in as a special teams guy,but that is not redshirting.
He has improved a lot.

What happened to David Long? Tyler Rapp will have to take JJ’s place.

I was thinking O-Line,but The Rams do develop players well.

Webster ? Does he keep his job. There might have been a practice squad guy who I consider a redshirt. Like the RB The Rams claimed from Tampa Bay.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
He was the first or second sub in during the season.
No he wasn’t.
Edwards, Evans and Shelton were the top three reserve OL when everyone was healthy.

The Rams mostly enjoyed good health along the OL this year. Edwards replaced Noteboom; and Noteboom’s first game back was the Seattle game when Whitworth was injured.

According to PFF, Anchrum played a total of three offensive snaps all season. Three. That does not include FGs and XPs.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
No he wasn’t.
Edwards, Evans and Shelton were the top three reserve OL when everyone was healthy.

The Rams mostly enjoyed good health along the OL this year. Edwards replaced Noteboom; and Noteboom’s first game back was the Seattle game when Whitworth was injured.

According to PFF, Anchrum played a total of three offensive snaps all season. Three. That does not include FGs and XPs.

Yes & that game he was the first sub off the bench.Hopefully Noteboom & Evans Redshirt all of 2021.

TexasRam

Legend
Did we not take steps to improve the OL last year? We traded for Corbett, started Edwards and Evans, who we drafted just two years after drafting Noteboom and Allen. And that resulted in a much improved 2020 line compared to 2019. It was night and day better. Just watch the film compared to 2019 and you'll see. Not to mention our line graded out well, top 1/3rd of the NFL in most metrics for 2020.

My point is, this team goes nowhere if Goff doesn't play well. We know that already after the last two seasons. And everyone is convinced if we have a great OL then Goff will get back to his 2017/2018 form. But WE CANT build a great OL for next year. Its just not possible. We will return 4 starters from this year who are all average. Upgrading center will help it but will not make it great like 2017/2018.

So if we can't give Goff a great OL for next year... what does that mean for next season? I think its fair to say we will be competitive for a playoff spot, but wont have a legit shot to win a SB. The point of building a team is to go win a SB. And the defense will regress next year as well.. it wont be ranked #1. So we will need the offense to pick up the slack. How does that happen? How do we get Goff to play well without a great OL? That is the single most important thing with our franchise, how to get more production out of the QB. That is how we will win and that is all that matters. And if we can't build a great OL for Goff then how will next year be any different from the last two seasons??

The problem with your arguement is you keep assuming we need a “great” Oline for Goff and also assume we had a “great” Oline in 17/18. We did not. It was a very good run blocking line but an average pass blocking line that was balanced by the play action and boots that were made effective by the very good run blocking.

Look at the run blocking:

Whitworth
Saffold
Sullivan
Brown/Blythe
Havenstein

That line above had 4 guys that were very good at run blocking. The Center and RG were much better then what we currently have which not only heavily affected the scoring in the red zone but set up huge pass plays in play action.

We still had pass pro holes with that 17/18 line at RT RG and C at times. But the run game heavily affected the play action and overall scoring.

Lots of Goffs TD’s in the red zone was a result of defenses needing to sale out to stop the run game.

We Don’t need a complete rebuild of the Oline. We need a veteran pro bowler such as Larry Warford or someone else to plug in at guard and move Corbett to center.

Whitworth
Edwards
Corbett
Warford
Havenstein

That line could really get the run game back to 17/18 and trust me, the play action would be wide open looks where Goff has shown he can thrive.

TexasRam

Legend
What's really interesting too is that Greg Roman has been running his simplified read shit with mobile QBs forever. But if McVay were to go that route (and again he's already got 3x read-option type QBs on the depth chart) it would be an instant trend.

Also structurally it would be a trend that helps to counter insane QB prices. I'd imagine the league is ripe for that type of thing.
The only problem with the Roman system is is has serious limitations. First, it requires a great Oline AND excellent blocking at WR and TE and sometimes a fullback type. You are still paying out for Pro Bowl Oline because otherwise, as seen with Jackson this year and Kaepernick, it does not work. Not to mention there are very few Jackson’s alive and if you do get them you have to pay them as we will see this offseason. Second, without the passing threat teams can more easily scheme to stop the run. Third, those pesky holding calls, 2 min offense (end of half, end of regulation) require an exceptional pass game. Hard to do when your QB is a runner and your entire team is built to run.

It has been tried numerous times throughout NFL history and is just not sustainable.

There is a reason Lamar Jackson’s “new era” offense scored 0 TD’s in the playoffs. It still required a top Oline and didn’t have a serviceable passing game when needed. And Jackson is still going to get paid top QB money this offseason.