The "give Austin Davis some love" thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
I don't agree. He doesn't roll out as well but his pocket awareness and ability to make the quick read are superior. I don't think he takes the sacks AD did. We may never know though.

Which sacks? The ones were no one picked up the guy off the right edge with a clear shot to the QB? Or the sack Long got embarrassed on, which resulted in a strip fumble, that Long also failed to recover due to poor effort?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
This offense can be effective if the offensive line would come together...we need to draft someone early next year...wait a sec

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
The one thing Davis needs to do, and hell, I think ALL QBs should do right now, is watch game film of Phillip Rivers right now.
He is definitely the Rodney Dangerfield of the league.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Oh come off it man. If anything, those beatings Davis took may have had a terrible effect on Hill. The O-line was a crapfest the entire 1st half. Hill would have done no better and you're showing an agenda thinking me would.

You're also subbing in Hill did on all the plays Davis misfired a bit on, as if Hill would have led the team down the field the same way, would have made the proper reads, etc. That's incredibly disingenuous. You can't know that.

It's not Davis who game planned, rather stupidly, to go PASS HEAVY on the first few drives of the game. That's a coaching error.

Uh, what? I'm not going to get into it with you. You can't have a discussion without attacking me and my motives.

Those pass heavy calls? First play rush. Second call rush with penalty. Third, short pass over the middle. Fourth, rush. Fifth, terrible pass to cook while hopping. Six, pass play sack. Seven punt. Pass heavy you say or did you just make up something else?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He misread the play.
And you know for sure it wasn't Quick. Got it. Obviously someone misread that play. But two consecutive drops that would have both been big first downs weren't exactly his fault. The kid stood in while our O-line was blocking like matadors and delivered most of the game. He's young and inexperienced. Given the number of games played and what that O-line looked like, I think he played very well. He certainly outplayed the QB on the other side of the ball and I thought he did so last game as well.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Here's a QB who has had pressure in his face all game and gotten sacked 4 times, yet he has completed 29 passes out of 49 attempts for 375 yards and 3 TD's with a 103. 7 rating. Factor in lots of dropped passes and what you have is a heroic performance by this young man. :bow:
He should sue the O-Line for none support!

TheBunk

Rookie
And you know for sure it wasn't Quick. Got it. Obviously someone misread that play. But two consecutive drops that would have both been big first downs weren't exactly his fault. The kid stood in while our O-line was blocking like matadors and delivered most of the game. He's young and inexperienced. Given the number of games played and what that O-line looked like, I think he played very well. He certainly outplayed the QB on the other side of the ball and I thought he did so last game as well.
It may have been Quick's fault, we'll see.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Is it time to spread the offense back out to get the 3 and 4 wr sets back on the field?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yeah, I don't want anyone to think I'm putting blame on Davis. He definitely was NOT the reason, or even A reason we lost, not even close. It was the last play of the game and I put too much emphasis on it out of sheer frustration. We were so close.

Understandable. I really dont place any blame on that last play. AD had massive pressure coming at him. Im upset at the two drops from Pettis, especially that 1st one.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Oh come off it man. If anything, those beatings Davis took may have had a terrible effect on Hill. The O-line was a crapfest the entire 1st half. Hill would have done no better and you're showing an agenda thinking me would.

You're also subbing in Hill did on all the plays Davis misfired a bit on, as if Hill would have led the team down the field the same way, would have made the proper reads, etc. That's incredibly disingenuous. You can't know that.

It's not Davis who game planned, rather stupidly, to go PASS HEAVY on the first few drives of the game. That's a coaching error.

Eight rush, nine rush penalty, ten great pass to quick defended, eleven Davis runs and makes early slide from inexperience, twelve great pass, thirteen rush, fourteen rush, fifteen rush, sixteen pass. End of first quarter.

You get to have your own opinion, but not you own facts. If you can't discuss football with me without being rude, just don't reply.

Athos

Legend
Uh, what? I'm not going to get into it with you. You can't have a discussion without attacking me and my motives.

Those pass heavy calls? First play rush. Second call rush with penalty. Third, short pass over the middle. Fourth, rush. Fifth, terrible pass to cook while hopping. Six, pass play sack. Seven punt. Pass heavy you say or did you just make up something else?

Are you even trying to read my posts? Or just willful ignorance? And I didn't attack you. I said we went pass heavy TO START THE GAME!

The first 3 plays of the game, all passes. All incomplete.

6 of the 1st 8 play calls were designed passes. Aggressive is what Schotty wanted and it failed. It wasn't until the runs started getting mixed in that the offense started moving a bit better.

And quite frankly, I'm flabbergasted how you think Hill would have played better in the 1st half with that awful 0-line. They gave up 2 sacks, and 4 offensive penalties to either kill a drive before they began or kill it while moving the ball.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
WxYOWU7.jpg

giphy-22.gif

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

6 of the 1st 8 play calls were designed passes. Aggressive is what Schotty wanted and it failed. It wasn't until the runs started getting mixed in that the offense started moving a bit better.
I don't have a problem with how they game-planned. I'm just glad Schotty is pragmatic enough to recognize when *execution* isn't working and can dial it back to fit what they're doing well at any given point in the game. Not that it matters much. I'm probably the only remaining Schotty fan on this board.

LooNaTik83

Are you even trying to read my posts? Or just willful ignorance? And I didn't attack you. I said we went pass heavy TO START THE GAME!

And quite frankly, I'm flabbergasted how you think Hill would have played better in the 1st half with that awful 0-line. They gave up 2 sacks, and 4 offensive penalties to either kill a drive before they began or kill it while moving the ball.

Passes did seem forced ie. (Heavy) at the start of this game. Then flow (Rhythm) took course later on.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
IMO, Hill would not have performed any better than Davis did in this game. Just Stop it.