The "give Austin Davis some love" thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I take it all back. I don't know why I was thinking Davis had a bad first half. Frustration I guess. He had a good first half.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You'd be wrong.

I think Schotty should be the least criticized coach on the Rams currently.
Together we shall rule the world.

215058-Snake-Eyes-vs-Storm-Shadow.jpg

Athos

Legend
Passes did seem forced ie. (Heavy) at the start of this game. Then flow (Rhythm) took course later on.

Yep. That was my point. Seemed designed to push the ball downfield early. I've never been a fan of taking a deep shot to open the game, which I believe the first play was. Puts you in a hole on 2nd down. Didn't really try any swing passes either. All seemed 10-15+ down the field.

Rainram

Starter
With every game I am really starting to get away from the "We gotta spend out 2015 first rounder on a QB" camp. Which could be a very good thing. Keep improving Davis...

RamzFanz

Damnit
IMO, Hill would not have performed any better than Davis did in this game. Just Stop it.

That's your opinion. Enjoy it. Own it. It's not mine and I'll express mine when I want. We don't know if Hill would have played better. That's where it's at and there's nothing else to say.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I dont see any point anymore to debate between Hill and AD. AD is the starter unless he sucks for a long stretch and is benched. Would Hill of done better or worse? Who knows and i dont really care, Im happy with AD and hope he continues to impress and develop. Really loving Davis now.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Which sacks? The ones were no one picked up the guy off the right edge with a clear shot to the QB? Or the sack Long got embarrassed on, which resulted in a strip fumble, that Long also failed to recover due to poor effort?

Two of the four I felt he could have avoided. The o line sucked but that doesn't make AD perfect.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
off topic, where is the inappropriate button RF or 503?
I don't have a problem with how they game-planned. I'm just glad Schotty is pragmatic enough to recognize when *execution* isn't working and can dial it back to fit what they're doing well at any given point in the game. Not that it matters much. I'm probably the only remaining Schotty fan on this board.
Nah. Shotty is winning me over. Not sure what is going on with our line and our D though.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nah. Shotty is winning me over. Not sure what is going on with our line and our D though.
I think I need to hear from Boudreau and Williams soon. Because I'm not sure either.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think I need to hear from Boudreau and Williams soon. Because I'm not sure either.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Two of the four I felt he could have avoided. The o line sucked but that doesn't make AD perfect.

The two strip sacks were pretty much unavoidable. Short of Davis pulling a rabbit out of his ass, he was dead to rights. The second sack by Barwin was avoidable. Davis tried to run to a seam instead of showing patience and sliding in the pocket. The DT cut him off and he was sacked from behind by Barwin. The first Barwin sack was unlikely to be avoided. Davis might have been able to scramble and throw it away and had a very small window to climb the pocket but he had 2-3 players break free to his left which forced him to scramble right and he was tripped up by Barwin to his right while trying to climb the pocket to escape all the pressure to the left. Very tough sack to avoid.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
At the end of the day a loss is still a loss.Davis is doing everything he can for us to win and yet we still get inconsistency from the most veteran part of our team.The offensive line.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Are you even trying to read my posts? Or just willful ignorance? And I didn't attack you. I said we went pass heavy TO START THE GAME!

The first 3 plays of the game, all passes. All incomplete.

6 of the 1st 8 play calls were designed passes. Aggressive is what Schotty wanted and it failed. It wasn't until the runs started getting mixed in that the offense started moving a bit better.

And quite frankly, I'm flabbergasted how you think Hill would have played better in the 1st half with that awful 0-line. They gave up 2 sacks, and 4 offensive penalties to either kill a drive before they began or kill it while moving the ball.

You are correct. I don't know how I missed the first drive when I was rewatching. Davis was terrible the first two passes, but good the rest of the half.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm not sure either. I'd love to hear from Boudreau and Williams soon.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
At the end of the day a loss is still a loss.Davis is doing everything he can for us to win and yet we still get inconsistency from the most veteran part of our team.The offensive line.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Does anybody else's heartbeat starts to race when he throws a deep ball and u can't see the intended target in the tv screen?

RamzFanz

Damnit
I dont see any point anymore to debate between Hill and AD. AD is the starter unless he sucks for a long stretch and is benched. Would Hill of done better or worse? Who knows and i dont really care, Im happy with AD and hope he continues to impress and develop. Really loving Davis now.

Yeah, I'm done talking about it. If Hill has to come in, we'll see.

ShaneFalco

you got shotty calling no back sets on 3rd down with no pass protection.

Sorry but alot of those sacks were not on davis.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Does anybody else's heartbeat starts to race when he throws a deep ball and u can't see the intended target in the tv screen?
Yes.

But I think that is also part of what he does well. These big receivers can win the ball - give them the chance to do it. Force them to.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The two strip sacks were pretty much unavoidable. Short of Davis pulling a rabbit out of his ass, he was dead to rights. The second sack by Barwin was avoidable. Davis tried to run to a seam instead of showing patience and sliding in the pocket. The DT cut him off and he was sacked from behind by Barwin. The first Barwin sack was unlikely to be avoided. Davis might have been able to scramble and throw it away and had a very small window to climb the pocket but he had 2-3 players break free to his left which forced him to scramble right and he was tripped up by Barwin to his right while trying to climb the pocket to escape all the pressure to the left. Very tough sack to avoid.

It's not always about moving around. A QB that reads defenses well and can anticipate an open receiver can get the pass off and avoid the sack. Davis was excellent today. I was ticked about the first two passes I guess.