The "give Austin Davis some love" thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Philly5

Rookie
Davis has been resilient and scrappy. With all of our mental errors and blown assignments those are important qualities for our QB to have. You would think our players would see the beating he is taking and step it up in games and preparation.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I don't have a problem with how they game-planned. I'm just glad Schotty is pragmatic enough to recognize when *execution* isn't working and can dial it back to fit what they're doing well at any given point in the game. Not that it matters much. I'm probably the only remaining Schotty fan on this board.

I had no problem with him most of the game (shocker!)

I hate their clock management and it KILLS me that, exactly like Dallas, they quit the first half with time on the clock and time outs just to lose by a score! What is that? Who gives away a possession when you're losing and you have big weapons?! It's inexcusable to me.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I don't have a problem with how they game-planned. I'm just glad Schotty is pragmatic enough to recognize when *execution* isn't working and can dial it back to fit what they're doing well at any given point in the game. Not that it matters much. I'm probably the only remaining Schotty fan on this board.
Nope.
I never thought he was the problem.

jjab360

Legend
I had no problem with him most of the game (shocker!)

I hate their clock management and it KILLS me that, exactly like Dallas, they quit the first half with time on the clock and time outs just to lose by a score! What is that? Who gives away a possession when you're losing and you have big weapons?! It's inexcusable to me.
When you're inside your own 20 with less than 30 seconds left, why risk a turnover and giving up even more points before the half? You're being unreasonable...

RamzFanz

Damnit
When you're inside your own 20 with less than 30 seconds left, why risk a turnover and giving up even more points before the half? You're being unreasonable...

Then why ever play from inside the twenty? Just punt.

Guess what, the eagles scored in 10 seconds on a drive that game. Walking away from a possession when you have the tools to score is defeatist.

jjab360

Legend
Then why ever play from inside the twenty? Just punt.

Guess what, the eagles scored in 10 seconds on a drive that game. Walking away from a possession when you have the tools to score is defeatist.
Yeah, when they were given the ball within scoring range.

Knowing when to walk away and regroup is the tool of a wise man. Showing desperation when you still have another half to play is the tool of a defeatist.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Yeah, when they were given the ball within scoring range.

Knowing when to walk away and regroup is the tool of a wise man. Showing desperation when you still have another half to play is the tool of a defeatist.

I guess we'll just disagree then. Two games where they gave the ball away and lost by 1 score. I think the results speak for themselves.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Wonder if Davis ever worked at a Hyvee....Would complete the story..

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not always about moving around. A QB that reads defenses well and can anticipate an open receiver can get the pass off and avoid the sack. Davis was excellent today. I was ticked about the first two passes I guess.

I'm aware. Which is what Davis tried to do on both strip sacks. Unfortunately, when your LT gets beat inside or you have a free rusher off the edge, you don't have much time to get rid of it. On the other sack I referenced, he had no time because of the quickness with which the DL got into the back-field.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Is Davis our new franchise QB? His stats say yes, he should be 3-0, and our offense is playing better than it has in many years.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is Davis our new franchise QB? His stats say yes, he should be 3-0, and our offense is playing better than it has in many years.

No. Need to see more. But he's trending towards that. I love his guts but at the same time, I still worry about the risks he takes.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No. Need to see more. But he's trending towards that. I love his guts but at the same time, I still worry about the risks he takes.
Yeah, that's kinda how I feel too. But Brett Favruh threw a shit ton of interceptions too, and he turned out okay.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
With risk sometimes comes reward.
He completed a ball into quadruple coverage today.
He's constantly stick balls in to covered receivers. Hes not taking sacks waiting for guys to look open. He's playing the game well.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
He's still under further review to me. He's certainly ascending from a statistical standpoint but I expect that to drop next Monday against the Whiners. Hope he's ready, his throws really worry me since those kinds would be easily picked off by a better secondary.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With risk sometimes comes reward.
He completed a ball into quadruple coverage today.
He's constantly stick balls in to covered receivers. Hes not taking sacks waiting for guys to look open. He's playing the game well.

Yes. He did. But my worry is that sometimes, they don't come out so well. That throw to Kendricks in all that coverage wasn't necessary, Cook was open on the crosser underneath. That's where my concern is. Some of these risks are unnecessary. I'm cool with him taking one on one jump ball shots to Quick, Britt, Cook, etc. but I don't like throwing into heavy coverage when you have a better option.

I'll say this, though, his back-shoulder throws have been on point.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Remember this guys , You never (OK Seldom if ever) get it all. Part of what you get with the excitement of making plays on the run and throwing receivers open is the occasional bad decision and turnover. On the other side with a ball protector you get check downs and points left on the field. It is the yen and yang of football, pick your poison. there will always be fair criticism for both styles. I am undecided long term on how AD will ultimately turn out. The sample size is to small and he is still somewhere in the learning curve. I am personally enjoying watching us play this year in large part to this once cut UDFA that I don't think many if any of us thought had this in him. In a season where we look to have regressed in areas where we thought we would be potentially dominant, to losing our franchise QB for the second year in a row. To really showing our youth and immaturity at times we have a player who clearly is giving his all, and that enthusiasm is infectious. I for one will tune in next week, to say that AD is a big part of that goes without question. If there was ever a team I want to beat it is the niners.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh come off it man. If anything, those beatings Davis took may have had a terrible effect on Hill. The O-line was a crapfest the entire 1st half. Hill would have done no better and you're showing an agenda thinking me would.

You're also subbing in Hill did on all the plays Davis misfired a bit on, as if Hill would have led the team down the field the same way, would have made the proper reads, etc. That's incredibly disingenuous. You can't know that.

It's not Davis who game planned, rather stupidly, to go PASS HEAVY on the first few drives of the game. That's a coaching error.

Agreed, Hill would've died!