The "give Austin Davis some love" thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Big Willie

Starter
He reminds me of a young Tony Romo...for good and for bad. I like what he has done, but like all positions, you are always looking to improve over what you have in place.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
We can go over all the different reasons we lost this game, but Austin Davis sure as shinola isn't one of those reasons. He's the reason we damn near pulled it out.

I still need to see this kept up over a longer stretch of games and against a variety of defenses, but I'm starting to get a little giddy about this guy. He has balls and doesn't have any quit in him. Our offensive output with him under center for multiple games now hasn't been something we've seen around these parts in quite some time. I thought for sure our offense would struggle without Bradford, and was even more sure when we lost Hill ... and yet it's putting up yards and points. And Austin and our WRs did it today despite sucky OL play. So yes, I'm on on the bandwagon now. The Stranger's prediction is looking better every week.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll say this about Davis...he plays like he has nothing to lose.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
I will say IMHO that this team, although 1-3, is more fun to watch than any Rams team I can remember in maybe 10 years. Davis made some rookie mistakes that could have changed the outcome but this game was lost as a team with bone headed penalties and self inflicted wounds. Credit the Eagles for playing hard and making the most of their opportunities. This is something the Rams need to do if they are going to turn this season around. In all phases of the game the Rams need to take advantage of every opportunity and minimize all the freebies they keep handing out. This team could easily be 3-1 but with undisciplined play they have given every team they have played additional scoring chances.

I watched this game with about 10 of my Eagles fans/friends and seeing them have to sweat this game out was great. Very disappointing they didn't pull this one out but exciting in a way I can't remember in ages. I think Davis may well be the one ingredient that the Rams have been missing and with a bit more consistency this team might make huge strides this year. I look forward to the remainder of this season with the expectations that the Rams will provide a ton of excitement and we might be seeing the foundation of a playoff caliber team!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't have a problem with how they game-planned. I'm just glad Schotty is pragmatic enough to recognize when *execution* isn't working and can dial it back to fit what they're doing well at any given point in the game. Not that it matters much. I'm probably the only remaining Schotty fan on this board.
I too Like what Schotty has been calling the Last few weeks, I saw the same thing you did in todays game!

Athos

Legend
I'll say this about Davis...he plays like he has nothing to lose.

I like that. A lot. A helluva a lot about him in fact. And I think it's rubbing off on guys, especially Quick.

It's only gonna get harder from here, but an amazing start for the first year starter.

Doing my best to extrapolate out his averages (using 3 games started as a metric and keeping in mind my math has always sucked) on pace for:

937 yards over 3 full starts with 6 TDs.

312 AVG yards per start.
2 TDs per start.

He'd have 3744 more yards in the remaining 12 games left with 24 TDs.

For a final of: 4873 yards and 30 TDs.

I'm going to give him a happy, reasonable range finishing between 3800 yards and that averaged out max of 4800 yards and 25-30 TDs.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I like that. A lot. A helluva a lot about him in fact. And I think it's rubbing off on guys, especially Quick.

Doing my best to extrapolate out his averages (using 3 games started as a metric and keeping in mind my math has always sucked) on pace for:

312 AVG yards per start.
2 TDs per start.

I'm going to give him a happy, reasonable range finishing between 3800 yards and that averaged out max of 4800 yards and 25-30 TDs.

If he finishes with those numbers, the I say "f--k drafting a QB" in the first round next year.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

312 AVG yards per start.
2 TDs per start.

If he finishes with those numbers, the I say "f--k drafting a QB" in the first round next year.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet was that Davis passed the ball to 10 different players today. Really good at spreading that ball around.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet was that Davis passed the ball to 10 different players today. Really good at spreading that ball around.

I saw that too.

Damn, if his passes were his legs, he'd have to change his name to Lindsey Lohan for as much as he spreads it around.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Remember this guys , You never (OK Seldom if ever) get it all. Part of what you get with the excitement of making plays on the run and throwing receivers open is the occasional bad decision and turnover. On the other side with a ball protector you get check downs and points left on the field. It is the yen and yang of football, pick your poison. there will always be fair criticism for both styles. I am undecided long term on how AD will ultimately turn out. The sample size is to small and he is still somewhere in the learning curve. I am personally enjoying watching us play this year in large part to this once cut UDFA that I don't think many if any of us thought had this in him. In a season where we look to have regressed in areas where we thought we would be potentially dominant, to losing our franchise QB for the second year in a row. To really showing our youth and immaturity at times we have a player who clearly is giving his all, and that enthusiasm is infectious. I for one will tune in next week, to say that AD is a big part of that goes without question. If there was ever a team I want to beat it is the niners.

Copy this.... :cool: The Yen and Yang theory is spot on. I also agree the sample size is still to small this early in his career and he's still on a learning curve as everyone can see, but it's been a pleasure watching this kid battle. I'm hoping he makes it and we don't have to worry about having to use a draft pick on a QB. As someone said earlier in the thread, let him and Sam battle it out. We need to be following the Dallas lead and using top picks on OL. One can see it's done wonders for them.. Just IMHO, but i digress.

I'm with you RD, I'll be tuning in next week to see how this kid battles and progresses in his career. It's good to see UDFA's like Austin and Watts doing good.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff

He doesn't seem to key in on one receiver does he? That's a good thing.

moklerman

Warner-phile
So far this season:

67.8%
1,129 yards
6 TD, 3 INT
96.8 rating.
Third.

String.

QB.

This guy has been delivering numbers that, while not quite as good, still good enough to be mentioned with other late-round/undrafted greats and Rams fans should be dancing a jig over what he's been able to do, how he's looked and how he keeps getting better.

I just don't even want to hear all the nit-picking and tempered praise.

375 yards, 3TD and no picks on the road. Why the F would anyone want to detract from that? Those are Kurt Warner numbers for God's sake.

A55VA6

Legend
Third.

String.

QB.

This guy has been delivering numbers that, while not quite as good, still good enough to be mentioned with other late-round/undrafted greats and Rams fans should be dancing a jig over what he's been able to do, how he's looked and how he keeps getting better.

I just don't even want to hear all the nit-picking and tempered praise.

375 yards, 3TD and no picks on the road. Why the F would anyone want to detract from that? Those are Kurt Warner numbers for God's sake.
I think Austin Davis has been great and I haven't really seen anyone complain about him, that's for sure! Everyone seems to like him.

His stats in his last 2 games (Cowboys & Eagles) combined are very impressive.
59/91
65% completion
702 yards
7.8 per play
100.9 passer rating
6 TD's, 2 INT's.

Not the greatest defenses but the Cowboys and Eagles are a combined record of 8-2, so that's something. He'll be facing a tough test against the niners on Monday Night Football next week. If he keeps up this level of play throughout the season, I think he could have the 2015 starting job going into camp. Unless for some reason Sam Bradford is "the guy" again.

Sappy113

Rookie
Copy this.... :cool: The Yen and Yang theory is spot on. I also agree the sample size is still to small this early in his career and he's still on a learning curve as everyone can see, but it's been a pleasure watching this kid battle. I'm hoping he makes it and we don't have to worry about having to use a draft pick on a QB. As someone said earlier in the thread, let him and Sam battle it out. We need to be following the Dallas lead and using top picks on OL. One can see it's done wonders for them.. Just IMHO, but i digress.

I'm with you RD, I'll be tuning in next week to see how this kid battles and progresses in his career. It's good to see UDFA's like Austin and Watts doing good.

I hear ya, Dag, but it's not like we haven't already been doing that. We just haven't been real good at it. At this point, I assume G-Rob is fine and our future LT. Hopefully. So we still need a starting caliber LG (move Saffold over on the right side again) and a Center. So yea, despite having poured millions into the OL, we still need to do something there in the worst way.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The kid is the VERY LAST THING holding this team back,including coaching. If every person on this team was playing at the level he is we'd be in first place ,that is not to say I believe he will continue to do so it's still early, Nick Foles has been bailed out by ST and his defense this year after an incredible year last year.

IMO that he's playing this well CAN'T HELP but be partly because of his OC,Shotty is doing a great job with the kid so IMO Shotty is the second to last thing holding us back.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
He has shown potential. He sucked the first half when he overthrew everyone every other pass. The sacks and pressure were unforgivable from the o line.

He redeemed himself in the second half. I'm still thinking Hill wins that game though. I think hill hits all those 1st half passes. Hill also probably picks up the first down on the slide. That's what experience brings.

Ridiculous. Hill would have been a grease spot behind that OL. I cannot fathom how ANYONE can heap blame on Davis for the first half yesterday. This over priced OL damn near got him killed.