What Vikings Fans Are Saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I do not know of any top notch teams that rely on trick plays to win games. In fact, it is just the opposite, good teams line up and play hard nosed, disciplined systems and get the great results that happen when they do.

Actually, good teams beat whoever is on the other sideline....That's the only thing that matters, plain and simple...If Gurley is a trick play, it's only because he makes defenders vanish into thin air !!! Give me Gurrrrrrrley boy tricks all day long...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/11/4/9669754/a-brief-look-at-rams-vikings-history

A Brief Look At Rams/Vikings History
By Christopher Gates @DailyNorseman on Nov 4, 2015

The history between the Minnesota Vikings and the St. Louis Rams has been a fairly interesting one that has developed over the years. The Rams have had two different homes since the Vikings were founded, having moved to Los Angeles in 1946 and to St. Louis in 1995. (They also played in Cleveland from 1937 to 1945, even bringing home the 1945 NFL Championship.) Of the 43 games these teams have played against each other (counting post-season games), they've only met nine times since the Rams fled the City of Angels.

Let's take a look back at some of the numbers from the history between these two teams, courtesy (as always) of the good folks at Pro Football Reference.

Total Games Between the Rams and the Vikings: 43 (36 regular season, 7 post-season)

All-Time Head-to-Head Record: Vikings, 20-14-2 (Vikings have a 5-2 edge in the post-season)

Total Rams' Points Scored, Head-to-Head, Regular Season: 795 (22.1 points/game)

Total Vikings' Points Scored, Head-to-Head, Regular Season: 823 (22.9 points/game)

Longest Rams' Winning Streak Against the Vikings, Regular Season: 3 (15 October 1978 - 6 October 1985)

Longest Vikings' Winning Streak Against the Rams, Regular Season: 6 (20 September 1987 - 13 September 1998)

Most Recent Rams' Victory in Minnesota: 31 December 2006 (Final score 41-21)

Most Recent Vikings' Victory in Minnesota: 11 December 2005 (Final score 27-13)

Biggest Rams' Victory in Minnesota: 28 points, 1 December 1968 (Final score 31-3)

Biggest Vikings' Victory in Minnesota: 28 points, 16 October 1966(Final score 35-7)

Current Streak: Vikings, 3

And a few random facts about the history between these two teams.

-The seven playoff games that the Vikings have played against the Rams are tied for the most they've played against any opponent. They've also played the Dallas Cowboys in the playoffs seven times.

-It's been nearly a decade since the Rams had to make the trip north to Minnesota. The last time they came to the Twin Cities was the 2006 season finale, and they ripped Minnesota in a big way. They got all the way out to a 41-7 lead at the Metrodome before a couple of garbage time scores made it look much more respectable than it actually was.

-The last time the Vikings beat the Rams in Minnesota was the game in December 2005 that's listed above. In that game, they forced a spritely young quarterback by the name of Ryan Fitzpatrick into five interceptions. Despite that, the game was tied at 13 early in the fourth quarter before touchdown runs from Michael Bennett and Ciatrick Fason put it away for Minnesota.

-The last three games in this series have taken place in St. Louis. The home cooking hasn't done much for the Rams, though. . .the combined score of those three games? Minnesota 108, St. Louis 38.

-The two ties in this series both took place in Minnesota. There was a 24-24 deadlock back on 25 November 1962, and a 10-10 tie on 19 September 1976.

-Adrian Peterson has enjoyed taking on the Rams. The Vikings have defeated the Rams in all three games Peterson has played against them (all in St. Louis), and he has carried the ball 59 times for 350 yards and three scores. That's an average of nearly six yards/carry.

-The Vikings have seen Rams' starting quarterback Nick Foles once in his career, back when he was the quarterback of the Philadelphia Eagles. Foles led the Eagles into the Metrodome on 15 December 2013, and found himself on the wrong end of a 48-30 Minnesota victory. Foles played a pretty solid game, however, completing 30-of-48 passes for 428 yards, three touchdowns, and an interception.

And that's a quick look back at the history between the Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams and the Minnesota Vikings, ladies and gentlemen.
---------
A lot of that Nick Foles yardage was in garbage time
Because somehow Matt Cassel managed to look like Drew Brees and just straight-up reck’d the Eagles. Should be fun to play him again, he’s declined significantly since then.
-------
won't be too fun to play against Gurley and Tavon Austin though
--------
Offensive Line comparison?
I know the Rams have rookies in the line. Am I right that Rams’ line is looking better than our problematic Vikings O-Line? If so, that might have some bearing on the assertion that Gurley is better to Peterson.

Peterson is still a candidate to rush for 150 yards any given Sunday, and he could suddenly get away for a long TD on any given play. That’s good enough for me.

I don’t see an obvious decline in Peterson’s performance this year. He is on a pace for 1400+ yards, which seems pretty gravy to me. He’ll decline eventually and perhaps soon, but he isn’t showing obvious signs of it this year.

It’s hard to really know, because his performance is tied to the offensive line, Bridgewater’s performance, Norv’s playcalling, and I am not completely tickled with the way those non-Peterson factors have played out in our offense this year. If you consider that the external factors aren’t always everything I could dream of this year, that makes Peterson’s performance look pretty good.
--------
Rams defense is very good
If their offense was better. The Rams might even have the best defense in the league.Teddy has to get rid of the ball quickly and the o-line has to give AD some holes. But, As a team the Vikings will find a way to win this game. Rams have fumbled 10 times and lost 8 of them.
------
Plying defense when you are ahead is easier than when you are trailing. I am not disrespecting the Broncos. I am giving Respect to the Rams. Teddy will have to come up big in this game so Peterson can get some holes to run through. Pass will set up the run this week.
--------
Not worried about St. Louis
Gurley and the DL is all they’ve got. We’ve already proven we can stay in the game, even when faced with a top of the line defense. So it’s basically just about whether or not they can stop Todd Gurley. Seeing as how he’s the next Adrian Peterson, you’d think I’d be worried, but we’re at home and I’m confident Zimmer will figure it out. Nobody is afraid of Nick Foles. Shouldn’t be too tough to stop Gurley. He’s only seen so much right now.
-------
Vikings Spanked Rams 34-6 Last Year AT St. Louis!
Does anyone really think the Rams have improved that much more than we have to beat us at home? I don’t think so, I think the Vikings will win easily, 24-14.
------
I'm worried about this game, I dont think it will be easy at all...
Hope I’m proven wrong.
-------
I don't think any game beyond the Lions this year will be easy
We have some issues, especially with our O-line and (I hate to say it) NORV!‘s play calling to date. It’s a process, but we have the all of the key cogs in place to do well, especially in December. I think its going to be close, and the Rams are a worthy adversary, but I think we can get it done.

Name
josey wales
Here's another story on Sunday's matchup that talks about your defensive line.

My take - Pfffft!....those Mary's could break through a wet paper towel. But.....that's just me.

I kid, of course. I'm not looking forward to facing your line missing 2/5 of our starting line, and possibly with our 3rd-string RT. I'm hoping Norv induces a heavy dose of play action, 3-step-drops, and quick slants Sunday, with the occasional deep shot.

_img_fontgraphic.php

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...oughest_challenge_yet_for_Vikings_Oline110415

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- The Vikings surrendered seven sacks and plenty more pressure in a trying 23-20 loss at the Denver Broncos on Oct. 4.

But guard Brandon Fusco said Wednesday the offensive line's biggest battle lies ahead of them on Sunday when the St. Louis Rams come to town.

"They have great personnel, this will be our toughest challenge yet, I think," Fusco said. "It's right up there with Denver. I'm not going to sit here and compare."

Few would've pegged a Nov. 8 game between the Vikings (5-2) and Rams to have playoff implications, but it just might as Minnesota currently sits sixth in the NFC at the top of a cluster including the Rams (4-3), Seattle Seahawks (4-4) and New Orleans Saints (4-4).

It's "way, way too early" to start talking playoffs, Fusco reminded reporters, while noting a win over the Rams, which would be the Vikings' first over an opponent with a winning record since Sept. 28, 2014, would vault them into more comfortable territory.

"To go 6-2, that'd be huge," he said.

First, they'll have to go through the Rams' defensive line which has fronted a defense currently third in the NFL with 26 sacks and fourth in the league by allowing just 3.7 yards per run. Stout pass rushes have sometimes been the Vikings' undoing, including against the Broncos when the final possession in a one-score game ended when Teddy Bridgewater was sacked for the seventh time.

The Vikings' depth has been tested as they've played all season without a snap from center John Sullivan and right tackle Phil Loadholt, both lost for the year with back and Achilles injuries, respectively. Only Seattle's Russell Wilson has been pressured more often on his dropbacks than Bridgewater this season, according to data from Pro Football Focus.

Meanwhile, the Rams can afford to lose a first-round pick on the defensive line because they have five. They've been without veteran defensive end Chris Long for a few weeks with a knee injury, but they still boast four former first-round picks in Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers, all starters, and former Detroit Lions defensive tackle Nick Fairley coming off the bench.

Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, now with the Rams a second time after his first stint ended abruptly due to his suspension for a role in the Saints' bounty scandal, brings pressure from all angles for St. Louis.

The Rams have spread 26 sacks around to 13 different players.

"We have to be sharp on our protections, especially the pressure stuff," coach Mike Zimmer said. "Because you can't just pay attention to Donald, Quinn or Brockers...They bring it from all different levels."

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Honestly, when I watch AP's running style, I do not think of Gurley and vice versa. They are TOTALLY different backs IMO. Adrian is much more violent and has better quick twitch ability. Really, the best I have ever seen in a back his size (Earl Campbell a distant second). TGII looks more like Eric Dickerson to me. Patient, able to read blocks and explode NORTH/SOUTH through a hole. Both backs have an excellent top gear.

As much as I love me some TGII, I think AP is still the gold standard for RBs in this league. TGII may soon surpass him, but I just cannot put him there after 4 games. If you asked Gurley, I bet he would tell you the same thing. For those that think AP has lost a step, I think you may need to watch film of him this season. Looks as good as ever to me. The Rams will get his absolute best on Sunday with all of the comparison talk. The Vikes can expect the same from TGII. Should be fun to watch.

NorvZimmer

UDFA
Honestly, when I watch AP's running style, I do not think of Gurley and vice versa. They are TOTALLY different backs IMO. Adrian is much more violent and has better quick twitch ability. Really, the best I have ever seen in a back his size (Earl Campbell a distant second). TGII looks more like Eric Dickerson to me. Patient, able to read blocks and explode NORTH/SOUTH through a hole. Both backs have an excellent top gear.

As much as I love me some TGII, I think AP is still the gold standard for RBs in this league. TGII may soon surpass him, but I just cannot put him there after 4 games. If you asked Gurley, I bet he would tell you the same thing. For those that think AP has lost a step, I think you may need to watch film of him this season. Looks as good as ever to me. The Rams will get his absolute best on Sunday with all of the comparison talk. The Vikes can expect the same from TGII. Should be fun to watch.
I agree, I believe AP will use this game as a "statement" game and come out on all cylinders.
I really hope the injuries to barr kendricks are not serious, and I hope floyd comes back this week. Floyd was seen running and doing cutting moves at yesterday's practice.
Either way I think Linval Joseph had a monster game! He so hungry!

Name
josey wales

A very non-bias opinion.

Peterson hasn't lost anything on his top-end speed, you can see that on numerous long runs where he's pulled away easily from DB's this year. The problem I see is that he's spent an inordinate amount of time dancing at the line of scrimmage for some reason, instead of just hitting the hole hard and taking what the defense gives him. Granted, sometimes this results in him finding a gap and breaking a long one, but with this line, those opportunities are few and far between. McKinnon has actually looked better at consistently getting the 5 to 10 yard runs that this offense so desperately needs, but he's only getting a few touches per game with Peterson in the backfield.

It's going to be one helluva matchup between two teams that are eerily similar on both sides of the ball.

Mitch

UDFA
Name
Gurley
The Vikings defense is 25th in the NFL in ypc (4.4 per attempt) against some really shitty running teams. They played: San Diego 30th at 3.6 ypc, Lions twice 29th at 3.7 ypc, Denver 26th at 3.8 a carry, Chicago 24th 3.9 a carry and without Forte a big chunk of the game, San Fran 22nd at 3.9 a carry. The only good running team they faced was KC and that was without without J. Charles.

Their yards per attempt given up is much greater than how the rest of the league fared against those teams. If they actually had a good run defense thy would have at least done better than the league average.

The yards don't mean anything when you face pass happy teams. The Vikings are 11th in rushing yards allowed and have the 5th least rushing attempts on them in the league.

I'll take the over on 150 yards for Gurley.

Comment from Reddit

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Peterson hasn't lost anything on his top-end speed, you can see that on numerous long runs where he's pulled away easily from DB's this year. The problem I see is that he's spent an inordinate amount of time dancing at the line of scrimmage for some reason, instead of just hitting the hole hard and taking what the defense gives him.

You answered yourself here about why AP dances at the line of scrimmage. The same thing happened to our own Stephen Jackson. A lousy O-line will do that to the mentality of a good running back. It gets in their heads and becomes a bad habit.

Granted, sometimes this results in him finding a gap and breaking a long one, but with this line, those opportunities are few and far between.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Here's someone the Rams d-backs really need to shut down.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/05/stefon-diggs-sets-an-all-time-record/

Stefon Diggs sets an all-time record
Posted by Mike Florio on November 5, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptcxytq2nwq3mje0yjbjnzy4odgxogq2ogq5mzq1ywni-e1446751724707.jpeg
AP

The Vikings will face on Sunday a rookie who has rushed for more than 100 yards in four straight starts. The Vikings have a rookie who has done something equally as significant.

As noted by Randall Liu of the NFL on Twitter, fifth-round receiver Stefon Diggs has become the first rookie in league history to generate 85 or more receiving yards in his first four games.

No other receiver in NFL history has done that. No one. Not Randy Moss or Jerry Rice or any of the all-time greats.

It doesn’t mean Diggs is on his way to that kind of production over the course of his career. Indeed, a hamstring injury could keep him from playing in a fifth straight game on Sunday against the Rams. But at a time when we’re all handing the rookie of the year award to Todd Gurley, Diggs at least merits some consideration for it.
---------
To be fair this NFL game is not the same game that Rice or Moss (first at least the first half of his career.) played in. So to me it’s not the same accomplishment.

What I’d call the real NFL died somewhere between 2004-2006. You can’t hit QB’s and you can’t hit WR’s. Going over the middle use to be a last resort (because you knew a strong safety was going to lite you up) now days, going over the middle is quite often the first read.

I’m not trying to take anything away from Diggs (or take a dig at diggs) but rather pointing out the difference between the old era and this watered down version of NFL Football.
-------
It is not just the speed that’s impressive. His route running is pretty beautiful to watch.
--------
Diggs is looking like the real deal at the moment. Having CJ behind him is nice if Diggs hamstring is acting up. These two young receivers are doing what the Packer receivers have not been able to…get separation from the defender.
Vikes young receiving core is on the rise.
---------
I keep thinking about “we will never see another Steve Smith”

That’s who this kid reminds me of
-------
It’ll be a good race for ROY winner. Crazy that neither of them played for the first couple weeks.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Not worried about Diggs. Put Janoris on him and he'll disappear the whole game.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
[QUOTE
We Won AT St. Louis Last Year 34-6!
Does everyone really think the Rams have improved that much more than the Vikings have? We should win this game easily at home.
---------
yeah, I was thinking the same thing

the Ram’s D has been stout for a good 3-4 years, but we seem to run roughshod on them IN THEIR HOUSE

I think it’s going to be another close one, but I think we’ll end up on top.

next week at the Raiders smells like a trap game to me….
[/QUOTE]

Yep, keep thinking this Rams team hasn't improved much since the FIRST game of the year last year. Our defense alone is light years ahead of where they were late last year, let alone the first game. Can't wait until Sunday.

A55VA6

Legend
lol they're all hype on Diggs which is cool... but Janoris got that man on lock down. I'd love to see Bridgewater take a shot at the jackrabbit.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get mad reading the comments of ignorant fans..They don't know anything more than what talking heads say about the Rams...Even worse, the talking heads are repeating what other talking heads are saying as well...They know know nothing about the nuances and improvements that have happened.

We are the same about the Vikings..:argue:

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
The guy that said 43-12 Vikes must be high as a kite. How does he suddenly expect one of the worst offenses to put up 40+ on one of the best defenses.
Apparently they expect as many TD's in one game as we've basically given up all year.

OK Viking fans, time to put the joint down.