What Packer fans are saying...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
http://www.packershome.com/forum/posts/t27253-Matchup--2018--Green-Bay-Packers-at-Los-Angeles-Rams

Rams- 38
Packers- 21
(7 Mason Crosby field goals)

We move the ball, but never seem to be able to score touchdowns.
-----------------
The season begins Sunday

Healthy team

13 days to prepare.

Packers run for 150+ yds.
Aaron throws for 350.

Defense gets 3 turnovers.

Packers 27
Rams 17

BOOK IT!
---------------
The best part. If Packers do win, fans will still complain and say the Rams just had an off game.
---------------
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...w-aaron-rodgers-offense-jared-goff-sean-mcvay

Striking similarities between Packers, Rams suggest close game if Rodgers ignites
The difference between these two teams isn’t on defense despite LA’s big-name talent. If Green Bay’s offense plays to its potential, it can upset the Rams on the road.
By Peter_Bukowski

When the Green Bay Packers look at the 2018 Los Angeles Rams, they must see the team this version of Green Bay was supposed to be. If Aaron Rodgers hadn’t hurt his knee in Week 1, this matchup might look even more like a mirror image than it already does, as his lack of mobility has stunted the development of the offense, particularly in the red zone.

But even with those limitations, injuries to key skill players, and shuffling along the offensive line, the comparisons between the 7-0 Rams and the 3-2-1 Packers remain more apt than one would intuitively assume.

Coming into Sunday, the Rams had the No. 1 offense in football by total yards. The Packers were second. Wade Phillips’ defense was ranked 14th, with Mike Pettine’s squad coming in at 16th. The Packers have the No. 2 passing offense in the league by yardage, with Jared Goff and company coming in fourth.

But as Pettine has noted already, yardage totals can be deceiving. By Football Outsiders’ DVOA metric, which accounts for opponent, the Rams boast the league’s second-ranked offense, while the Packers stand seventh. Todd Gurley and the run game are the best in the league, while Green Bay’s stable of backs are fourth by DVOA.

The difference must be in the red zone then right? The Packers have struggled mightily scoring touchdowns instead of field goals. Except it’s not. Sean McVay’s team scores touchdowns at a marginally better rate (17th in the NFL) than the Packers (22nd). But it is true that the Rams have score more touchdowns than the Packers and get in the end zone more often than Green Bay relative to how often they settle for field goals.

McVay, with Goff, Gurley and Cooks et al, averages about one more play of 20+ yards per game more than the Packers (they have ten more total, but four of them came against the 49ers). When they get chunk plays, they go for touchdowns, whereas the Packers haven’t had the same kind of success.

Part of that is just lucky, the same way Julio Jones can be the most physically dominant receiver in the league and can’t sniff the end zone, whereas as Falcons rookie Calvin Ridley can’t stop finding paydirt. There’s some flukiness to it even if it’s true the Rams offense is really good. And it is.

The biggest difference right now is Jared Goff and the passing attack have been more efficient than the most efficient quarterback to ever play the game. Injuries robbed Rodgers of his ability to create outside the pocket and extend plays as consistently as he’d like. Losing two of the only three pass catchers he trusts also dented the continuity of the passing offense while early deficits robbed the Packers of any chance to be balanced in most of their games to this point.

If there’s a roadmap to success for the Packers this week, it’s simple: Green Bay gets 2016 Run the Table™ Rodgers with Cobb and Allison back from injury and the knee brace off. They get the version of the offense this team has hinted at lately, with consecutive 500-yard offensive games coming off the 420+ they hung on a very good Bills defense.

If the Packers can get a little better big-play luck and improved red zone offense, it’s not unreasonable to think this game looks more like the Seahawks or Vikings game, where the Rams needed to win a shootout late.

Defensively, the two teams might as well be the Spider-Man pointing meme, despite the obvious difference in big name talent. Here’s a look at the two teams by DVOA.

Packers defense
22nd in total DVOA
15th vs. the pass
28th vs. the run

Rams defense
17th in total DVOA
14th vs. the pass
26th vs. the run

Kirk Cousins lit this Rams defense up on a short week, though Marcus Peters played hurt in that game. Russell Wilson threw three touchdowns in a game LA won by just two, and even Case Keenum threw for 300+ against the Rams in a three-point loss for the Broncos. And had Philip Rivers not suffered a handful of terrible drops, the Chargers would have given the Rams a much better game.

If a virtuoso Rodgers game is what the Packers need to win, this Rams defense has shown itself susceptible to giving those games up against good quarterbacks with quality weapons. Green Bay clearly qualifies there. Early questions will be about whether this defense can play well enough to beat the Rams, but given what we’ve seen the Rams do with a statistically comparable defense, the real question should be: can the offense?

We’ve seen Rodgers do it for stretches this season even with the injuries. The second half against a very good Bears defense. The last drive against the 49ers. The would-be game-winning drive at the end of regulation vs. the Vikings. Even the no-punt performance against the Lions hints to how unstoppable this team can be moving the ball.

And we know what Rodgers looks like with an extra week to prepare, get healthy, and create some continuity. If this defense does only what it’s done all season and the offense plays to its potential, the Packers can absolutely beat the best team in the NFL. It won’t take a so-called “perfect” game to do it. But it will take an offensive performance better than we’ve seen to this point in the season from Green Bay.

In 2012, with the Packers dealing with similar doubters, a struggling offense, and a 2-3 record, Aaron Rodgers went into Houston and answered any questions with a six touchdown performance against the 5-0 Texans.

Think it can’t happen again? No. 12 might have something to say about that.
-------------------
Except they have Aaron Donald
and the right side of our OL sucks (maybe Bulaga will be back to full health after the bye week?).
They have Todd Gurley and our OLBs cannot hold the edge to save their lives.

The rankings tell a story, but it just doesn’t apply here due to the particular match up disasters we face in this game.

Yes, if Rodgers goes Rodgers on them, we can totally win this game. But that’s our only hope, as far as I can see.
-------------------
I think the odds of Rodgers "igniting" and pulling out a win...
…are on par with Rodgers actually igniting from friction as Aaron Donald scrapes him across the turf like a match. So we’ve got a 50/50 chance would be my point if I were to have one.
--------------------
I dont like our chances.
Not one bit. Todd gurley is going to carve our sad sack run defense like a Thanksgiving turkey
------------------
Rams have a boy named Suh - look out 12!

54a0a1806da811e937abdac6-750-563.jpg

------------------

Comparing opponents
DVOA has both offenses above average, but its important to note that it has the Packers at 13% above average while the Rams are around 33% above average. The Packers are as close to the average team in the league on offense as they are to the Rams. On defense they are very close though, Rams are about average and the Packers a slightly below.

Brian Burke’s EPA model has the Packers and Rams about he same level on defense, but on offense there is no comparison. The Rams are the best in the league, while the Packers are mediocre. I should say this is not updated for this week’s games, but it wouldn’t change much.

DptdUfHXcAElm0i.jpg

Ron Yurko’s EPA/success rate model shows a similar story. Here are the offenses in EPA per play (ie. how good have they been) and success rate (how consistently good have they been). The Rams are up at the top while the Packers are average.

DqE3p7-X0AIqk43.jpg

The same plot showing the defenses (bottom left is better). Both the Packers and Rams have had similar success rate, although the Rams have a better EPA per play, maybe indicating they have given up fewer big plays?

DqE39peX0AITH7A.jpg

-----------------------
Striking similarities?
Is that a joke? The Packers have a dysfunctional running game/three-headed monster, that is led by its worst running back (in YPC and elusiveness) and a WR, who is Green Bay’s poor man’s version of an Austin Eckler or Tarik Cohen. IDC how well Williams supposedly blocks (and he misses block, too), the Rams have the best running back in the NFL in Gurley. If McCarthy was the Rams’ HC he’d probably force Gurley into a time-share with a ‘blocking on third down’ RB like Williams on obvious pass plays.

The Rams have a superior OL and wide receivers. Unless, somebody wants to argue Cooks- Woods – Kupp is somehow less than Adams (who is the top receiver on either team), Randall (one great game and then disappear) Cobb (LOL) and Allison are somehow a superior WR trio. TE, who cares if you are the Rams, and Jimmy ‘One-TD’ Graham in Green Bay. On defense, is GBs thin line (featuring the fading Mike Daniels), but led by the budding All Pro, Clark is, as a unit, even with, or better than what the Rams field with Donald, Suh and Brockers.

Of course, the Packers can upset Rams, and we hope they do. But, let’s stop the pretense that GB is somehow close to the Rams in talent and coaching. Or, has the hot-seated, Mike McCarthy, who can’t or more likely won’t even field his only elusive RB most of the time (just to show his All World QB who’s boss, is superior to McVay.
---------------
McVay vs McCarthy
Oh man, that’s not even funny: one of the most creative offensive minds in the NFL today, against a guy who hasn’t had a new idea in at least 7 years – and counting. I’m guessing Gurley by the middle of the 1st quarter will have more touches than Aaron Jones the entire game. And that alone will keep me p%#&ed off for the rest of the week.
I never liked algebra.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just hope the stands are not filled with green and yellow and it can be a true home field advantage.
I wouldn't count on that... they travel really well and it would be a vacation for them.

I'd guess they'll make up approximately 40% of the attendance.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Yeah I should have known it from the very start
Aaron will leave me with a broken heart
Now listen people what I'm telling you
Can’t get away from Donald and Suh

My broken heart, the least of my fears

When they brought out the CART,

I was truly in TEARS

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I wouldn't count on that... they travel really well and it would be a vacation for them.

I'd guess they'll make up approximately 40% of the attendance.

LA fans do suck. No offense to anyone out there but we have some of worst sports fans.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Never ceases to amaze me a fan base can sit there and run their mouths that we haven't beaten anybody when the only teams they've beaten are the Whiners by only 3 points the 3-3 Bears and beat up the Bills. The blew the lead vs the Vikings , yet they'll criticize us for playing the Cardinals and playing the Vikings close. Nine late points turned a 17 point loss to the Lions into what on paper looks like a close game yet our division game was a close win in Seattle and that's a negative for us. Just amazing the lack of thought these people put out.
It really is a standard practice these days. People make up there minds, then look for data that confirms there decision, ignoring obvious counterdictory data the shows how dumb there decision is.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
More like...

The Coliseum holds over 100K.

There's plenty of room for everyone.
But they will never open it again like that, because the facilities are obsolete and ruins the fan experience..I think they added 10,000 seats for the playoffs last year, but what was the total, like 80,000?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Aaron Rodgers plans to play without his brace for the first time since the opener when he initially injured his knee.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/24/aaron-rodgers-has-full-practice-wednesday/#comments

Sit out this game and save yourself.
--------------
I hope he takes off the brace

— Aaron Donald
----------------
I haven’t seen anything from the other North Division teams that tells me the Packers do not remain to be the team to beat in the division. Ignore the Viking trolls for a second and ask the Rams if they think playing the Packers will be a cakewalk.
--------------
Forget about the other teams for once and take an honest look at your own team. They just finished the easiest part of their schedule with a 3-2-1 record. They got lucky to beat the Bears and tie the Vikings. Their defense just got manhandled by the 49ers. They’ve only played two games on the road and lost them both. They now play four of the next five on the road against good teams.

What in the world could possibly give you so much optimism about this team? I’m not saying they can’t turn it around and start impressing because they’ve done it before, but I don’t think you can count on that. Just because you bluster on and on about the Packers being the team to beat without once giving a reason doesn’t make it so.
----------------
You struggled against the Niners.

Think about that for a minute.

The Niners!
-------------
I hope Aaron R. gets ‘attitude’ over being a 9 pt underdog. Nobody gives the Pack a snow ball’s chance.

Apparantly they’ve watched the film…allowing the Vikings back in the game…49’ers game….getting wiped by Detroit.

Yeah, maybe the D can step up.
----------------
Rams will March up and down on that absolutely garbage defense!
--------------
Is Erin still capable of putting up 422 yds 3 TDs and a 126 qbr. against the Rams like the best QB in the North did? Doubt it. But not as much as I doubt the Cheesy defense holding the Rams to less than 40 pts.
--------------
The Vikings played a close game against the Rams. Was competitive to the final drive. I somehow doubt the Packers stay competitive for more than a half, tops.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Is Erin still capable of putting up 422 yds 3 TDs and a 126 qbr. against the Rams like the best QB in the North did? Doubt it.
Erin?

Wow. Arguably one of the best QBs of the past decade isn't immune to ridicule, I guess.
I hope that wasn't a Packers fan. Because he doesn't deserve to be one if he is.

Q729

Legend
It really is a standard practice these days. People make up there minds, then look for data that confirms there decision, ignoring obvious counterdictory data the shows how dumb there decision is.
Confirmation bias?

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Erin?

Wow. Arguably one of the best QBs of the past decade isn't immune to ridicule, I guess.
I hope that wasn't a Packers fan. Because he doesn't deserve to be one if he is.
X,
That was definitely a Viking fan posting because he called Kirk Cousins "the best QB in the North." Only a delusional Minny fan could make that claim.

~ArkyRamsFan~

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
LA fans do suck. No offense to anyone out there but we have some of worst sports fans.
While I understand your opinion...you have to be careful generalizing. There are many of us hardcore fans. I'm a native Southern Californian, 55 yrs old. I have never wavered from my roots.. Rams/Dodgers/Lakers/Kings. There are many here like that. On the flip side there are a few factors to be considered.

1. 22 yrs of no LA Football - 2 generations of fans forced to grasp new non-local teams.
2. Too many transplants here - As a native SoCal dude I know all to well the high percentage of transplants. Hell, my wife is from Pittsburgh. Those folks don't leave their allegiances behind, and they also pass it on to their kids.
3. Too much to do here- As cliche as it sounds it is just the reality here.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Welp, Rodgers is 5-0 against the Rams in his career, with at least 10-pt marginal victories, but I'd love to see that change this Sunday and hand him his first Ram loss!!! 8-0 > 5-1.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Welp, Rodgers is 5-0 against the Rams in his career, with at least 10-pt marginal victories, but I'd love to see that change this Sunday and hand him his first Ram loss!!! 8-0 > 5-1.

Gosh I hope we don’t activate Nick Foles, Brian Quick or Jeff Fisher Sunday

I respect Rogers, but his record against Sean McVay’s Rams is 0-0. I do not think he has much of a shot Sunday, if you ask me. I’d say Rogers internal voice is saying “welp”.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gosh I hope we don’t activate Nick Foles, Brian Quick or Jeff Fisher Sunday

I respect Rogers, but his record against Sean McVay’s Rams is 0-0. I do not think he has much of a shot Sunday, if you ask me. I’d say Rogers internal voice is saying “welp”.
Using past records with different squads to predict outcomes, drives me crazy....It can be in no way predictive when a team changed as much as this team did since 2016. The Packers have never faced this team in the McVay era where actual game planning was involved (played Packers last year in Pre-Season).

Welcome to the Meat Grinder, Mr. Rodgers. This aint your neighborhood.