The Rise of LASED.........

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
A FIELD!!!!!!!!!!
And wow, that oculus.... though you can't see the opposite nosebleeds from this level.
And I'm pretty sure that the nosebleed-ers will be able to see the whole field, but won't be able to see any of the fans on the opposite side of the field. Bit of a bummer, but I expect those seats to be cheapies.
End zone views might just be pretty spectactular.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
....oh, and ya it will be loud. Poor Bolts..... lol Raiduhs fans will pack Sofi on AFC game days.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A FIELD!!!!!!!!!!
And wow, that oculus.... though you can't see the opposite nosebleeds from this level.
And I'm pretty sure that the nosebleed-ers will be able to see the whole field, but won't be able to see any of the fans on the opposite side of the field. Bit of a bummer, but I expect those seats to be cheapies.
End zone views might just be pretty spectactular.

but will the nosebleeds be able to see the ball in the air? there's still a long way to go up from where that video was taken. these stadium architects don't think about stuff like that. as long as they can see the field they say.

i went to the top of sydney olympic stadium to see what the view was like for the nosebleeds. they could see the edge of opposite side of the field, nothing above that. so when they kicked the ball in the air you had no idea where it was going or how high it went.

bluecoconuts

Legend
but will the nosebleeds be able to see the ball in the air? there's still a long way to go up from where that video was taken. these stadium architects don't think about stuff like that. as long as they can see the field they say.

i went to the top of sydney olympic stadium to see what the view was like for the nosebleeds. they could see the edge of opposite side of the field, nothing above that. so when they kicked the ball in the air you had no idea where it was going or how high it went.

Yes.

If you check out the virtual venue, in the nosebleeds, the occulus only obscures your view of the premier and above seats of the opposite end.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry man.

If it helps you feel any better, I sure as shit didn't give anyone a break.
I’m a TA right now and most of the “kids” end up hating me. I guess I am old school in that believing excuses for not doing the work doesn’t fly with me, unless you are in the frickin hospital. I often get overruled by the Professor, because she often gives them the benefit of the doubt. I have told her many times “You know you are getting played, don’t you?” She responds “There’s no way for us to really know...” Well, that’s because they are not taking responsibility. I am fair, but I also don’t think it’s fair to the kids who try and turn their work in on time And the others turn in their work late with little penalty...
GET OFF MY LAWN! ~ Boomer

How about that SoFi?

bluecoconuts

Legend
I’m a TA right now and most of the “kids” end up hating me. I guess I am old school in that believing excuses for not doing the work doesn’t fly with me, unless you are in the frickin hospital. I often get overruled by the Professor, because she often gives them the benefit of the doubt. I have told her many times “You know you are getting played, don’t you?” She responds “There’s no way for us to really know...” Well, that’s because they are not taking responsibility. I am fair, but I also don’t think it’s fair to the kids who try and turn their work in on time And the others turn in their work late with little penalty...
GET OFF MY LAWN! ~ Boomer

How about that SoFi?

I don't go that far with my students, and I try to be understanding, but I approach each student differently. Being lazy/not doing all the work is one thing, cheating or blatant ethics violations are a completely different ball game.

My logic behind that is that it's college, we're at a university level, these guys are adults. My job is to prepare them for the real world as best as I can within the scope of my position.

That typically means that my students will fall into one of two categories. Students who are taking my class because they need the knowledge and students who are taking my class because they need the credit. If a student literally just needs my class for the credit (student athletes almost always fall into this category as their major is rarely a STEM major) then I'll help them out and toss them that C. If they want more than that they'll have to earn it just like everyone else. The most I can really do with these students is embed a seed of interest in space and sciences that'll either have them pick up things as a hobby (and I have a few tools that I offer these students to help them do that, which I've found to be a decent hit) just because it interests them, or at the very least a basic understanding of the universe around them.

I figure that I don't need to waste time with some humanities major who'll never need the information after the term when I can focus that energy on a student who wants to pursue a career in astrophysics/astronomy/etc and will need the information to do that. I used to care a lot more, especially early on as a TA (again cheating is still a big one for me, as that's a big step up), but as I've stepped into this role, with so much of my time being needed elsewhere, I found it makes my life easier.

My office hours are now spent more working with students who have a passion for this stuff in one on one or in small group settings. The benefit is that I can go into more detail, take them into the labs and show them experiments in person and really grow that thirst for knowledge rather than me making extreme eye contact because the fucking undergrad with the giant tits decided to come with them hanging out while she begged to do anything for that C. When a student "accidentally" swiped to a nude on her phone when asking me about a slide in a presentation I emailed to them I implemented my unofficial "C grade floor" policy. Not worth my job.

To receive a lower grade you have to earn it.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't go that far with my students, and I try to be understanding, but I approach each student differently. Being lazy/not doing all the work is one thing, cheating or blatant ethics violations are a completely different ball game.

My logic behind that is that it's college, we're at a university level, these guys are adults. My job is to prepare them for the real world as best as I can within the scope of my position.

That typically means that my students will fall into one of two categories. Students who are taking my class because they need the knowledge and students who are taking my class because they need the credit. If a student literally just needs my class for the credit (student athletes almost always fall into this category as their major is rarely a STEM major) then I'll help them out and toss them that C. If they want more than that they'll have to earn it just like everyone else. The most I can really do with these students is embed a seed of interest in space and sciences that'll either have them pick up things as a hobby (and I have a few tools that I offer these students to help them do that, which I've found to be a decent hit) just because it interests them, or at the very least a basic understanding of the universe around them.

I figure that I don't need to waste time with some humanities major who'll never need the information after the term when I can focus that energy on a student who wants to pursue a career in astrophysics/astronomy/etc and will need the information to do that. I used to care a lot more, especially early on as a TA (again cheating is still a big one for me, as that's a big step up), but as I've stepped into this role, with so much of my time being needed elsewhere, I found it makes my life easier.

My office hours are now spent more working with students who have a passion for this stuff in one on one or in small group settings. The benefit is that I can go into more detail, take them into the labs and show them experiments in person and really grow that thirst for knowledge rather than me making extreme eye contact because the fucking undergrad with the giant tits decided to come with them hanging out while she begged to do anything for that C. When a student "accidentally" swiped to a nude on her phone when asking me about a slide in a presentation I emailed to them I implemented my unofficial "C grade floor" policy. Not worth my job.

To receive a lower grade you have to earn it.
Well, I am that humanities grad who expected no favors when tackling math and science (I was a math major at one point). I expected no favors and asked for none. I am a TA for a gen ed World History course, and we get all of the jocks and wanna-be teachers who have to take the class. Of the 35 students in a class, maybe five do the work and have little need to come see me for help during office hours. The rest who do need help for whatever reason, do not read the syllabus and are full of excuses as to why this assignment or that assignment wasn't done. To be clear, I don't care if I have to fail someone because it's a meritocracy. Do it or don't do the work, it's on them. I love to read excellent papers, and go through hell, grading utter excrement by people who don't really care, except that they want the grade. Thank God it's my last semester when I get my MA in December.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Well, I am that humanities grad who expected no favors when tackling math and science (I was a math major at one point). I expected no favors and asked for none. I am a TA for a gen ed World History course, and we get all of the jocks and wanna-be teachers who have to take the class. Of the 35 students in a class, maybe five do the work and have little need to come see me for help during office hours. The rest who do need help for whatever reason, do not read the syllabus and are full of excuses as to why this assignment or that assignment wasn't done. To be clear, I don't care if I have to fail someone because it's a meritocracy. Do it or don't do the work, it's on them. I love to read excellent papers, and go through hell, grading utter excrement by people who don't really care, except that they want the grade. Thank God it's my last semester when I get my MA in December.

If that was your attitude I’d give you no breaks either, but I found that most non STEM majors did not want that type of workload. I had a more advanced class that I taught with some very advanced math and physics and it wasn’t good. Those student marks actually matter if they all complain about the same shit, it’s a fast way to stall your career unfortunately. I’ve found the best way to move up is to always be adaptable. It’s why I was able to land a teaching position so quickly, always being adaptable in my methods to maximize results and make myself better.

The better my students do the better it is for my career, you never know how connected those little bastard can be. Took time with a guy to give him an alternate assignment more suited to his interests and his father ended up being good friends with the Provost who put me into a better position and a much better salary because he appreciated the way I approached it.

If you’re not looking for a career in academia or your school has a different mindset then it wouldn’t be different, but I found that where I’m at, a heavy hand (which was my first instinct from the military) often caused more problems than it solved.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If that was your attitude I’d give you no breaks either, but I found that most non STEM majors did not want that type of workload. I had a more advanced class that I taught with some very advanced math and physics and it wasn’t good. Those student marks actually matter if they all complain about the same shit, it’s a fast way to stall your career unfortunately. I’ve found the best way to move up is to always be adaptable. It’s why I was able to land a teaching position so quickly, always being adaptable in my methods to maximize results and make myself better.

The better my students do the better it is for my career, you never know how connected those little bastard can be. Took time with a guy to give him an alternate assignment more suited to his interests and his father ended up being good friends with the Provost who put me into a better position and a much better salary because he appreciated the way I approached it.

If you’re not looking for a career in academia or your school has a different mindset then it wouldn’t be different, but I found that where I’m at, a heavy hand (which was my first instinct from the military) often caused more problems than it solved.
Well, my attitude was that I could do anything...lol. I wanted to take Physics for Engineering Majors and take as many advanced math classes that I could. My problem was that I wasn't good at computer programming, which was a major problem for a STEM major. When I took Calculus I & II, I was simultaneously floundering in Intermediate Computer Science classes, the last of which I got a "B." Like I said, college should be a meritocracy, even though I realize the politics are involved. I realized that I had a limit, and so I changed majors toward something that interested me (History). I love history, but I wish that I had taken a Geology class earlier because I really liked that, but that was my last semester before the BS degree....

No, I'm not a teacher, but I understand what you are saying about adapting to the politics of it. Also, I have no problem helping someone who wants to be helped, but I won't beg them for me to help them.