LEGEND The "Last Thing I Bought" Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
@Riverumbbq

Here's the answer... straight from that book. Not sure if I believe it though because that avacado tree in the Bahamas was the only one on the whole island.

View attachment 44842

Depending on the length of time you keep the plant or whether you still have it once it's ready for that 24" pot, and if you aren't planning on growing multiple others for the purposes of cross-pollination, grafting seems like the most economical means for making it a 'fruit bearer'. Being in Florida you likely have nurseries at fairly convenient locations, you can just call one and see how much they would charge for a small branch that comes off one of their trees and might be used as a graft for your own. They should also be able to tell you just how mature your tree needs to be before a graft should take place. Perhaps you have a neighbor with an avocado tree that might also provide, grafting is a fairly simple process, you just want to get the cuts and wrapping right.
jmo.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Depending on the length of time you keep the plant or whether you still have it once it's ready for that 24" pot, and if you aren't planning on growing multiple others for the purposes of cross-pollination, grafting seems like the most economical means for making it a 'fruit bearer'. Being in Florida you likely have nurseries at fairly convenient locations, you can just call one and see how much they would charge for a small branch that comes off one of their trees and might be used as a graft for your own. They should also be able to tell you just how mature your tree needs to be before a graft should take place. Perhaps you have a neighbor with an avocado tree that might also provide, grafting is a fairly simple process, you just want to get the cuts and wrapping right.
jmo.

My Grandparents had a big orange grove. I'm pretty good with stuff like that because of what I had to learn from back then. I also know that I don't want any fruit trees in my yard because of it LOL.

I did make a very cool fruit tree with the help of a friend that I planted in my old house's backyard. Citrus tree with grafts from a lemon, orange, lime, and grapefruit tree. It was super cool. Always had lemons on it year round and the others would do their seasonal thing. That was the last fruit tree I ever had.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
My Grandparents had a big orange grove. I'm pretty good with stuff like that because of what I had to learn from back then. I also know that I don't want any fruit trees in my yard because of it LOL.

I did make a very cool fruit tree with the help of a friend that I planted in my old house's backyard. Citrus tree with grafts from a lemon, orange, lime, and grapefruit tree. It was super cool. Always had lemons on it year round and the others would do their seasonal thing. That was the last fruit tree I ever had.

As a kid I never had anything as fancy as your vase, my mom would let us use a cocktail glass and we would use 3 toothpicks stuck about an 1/8" into the avocado pit, enough for it to hang in the glass, then we'd fill the glass with water until the pit was about 1/2 covered. The plant would get about 12" high and we'd have to get rid of it and start over.
That lemon/lime/orange/grapefruit tree must have been the talk of the town, and what a sight if they all fruited at the same time.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
As a kid I never had anything as fancy as your vase, my mom would let us use a cocktail glass and we would use 3 toothpicks stuck about an 1/8" into the avocado pit, enough for it to hang in the glass, then we'd fill the glass with water until the pit was about 1/2 covered. The plant would get about 12" high and we'd have to get rid of it and start over.
That lemon/lime/orange/grapefruit tree must have been the talk of the town, and what a sight if they all fruited at the same time.

Near Christmas time that tree would look like a Christmas tree because of the different colored fruits. That's when most of the citrus fruit gets to maturity here. The lemons would be on it year round though and at all stages of maturity.

That tree was in my backyard behind a big fence... so nobody could really see it except for my family and friends. It really was cool. I used the lemons all the time in the kitchen, so it was great that I usually always had a ripe lemon out there.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm doing a brisket ...will be my first one ever I bought Aaron Franklins book and will be using his wisdom...so here goes nothing lol

Call us when it looks like this, we'll be right over ...

1617925599868.png

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
I bought this special glass vase that is designed to hold an avacado seed above the big water reservoir. The seed will grow into a full tree sitting in this thing. It allows you to see the seed and tree part... as well as the root system all together.

It took me over a month to get the avacado seed to germinate enough for the root to be long enough.... but here it is now in the vase. You can see the root sticking down into the water. The tree part has yet to sprout.

View attachment 44840
Cool. My wife would like that. I have the cheaper version.
20210408_202512.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don’t think I realized how BIG the thing was when I ordered it.
I used to do a bunch of ribs, brisket, pulled pork with just rub on them, seal a meal them and freeze them. Then I'd pop them into the oven and finish them off when I wanted a fairly quick meal. Traegers are pretty efficient so even when you're just doing small batches, you will love that thing. They used to build them just up the road from me in Oregon.