LEGEND The "Last Thing I Bought" Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
My coffee table is a 2 foot by 6 foot 3" slab of a Monterey Cypress. The sides are the natural shape. The highway department was giving them away. My dad loaded a bunch of logs on a trailer and made each one of us kids a table from them.

I also made a bed from rough sawn 10" posts and true 2x12 rough sawn sideboards, head boards and foot boards with 1" hand hammered solid iron pickets. The bed literally weighs 3/4 ton but I made it so it unbolts. Each one of the head posts is 6'6" tall and weighs about 250 pounds. I hand sanded everything with fine sand paper to maintain the circular saw Mark's and finished with 13 coats of shellac. It looks positively medieval.

Your Pops is a genius.

That sounds really cool.

I am going to make our bar out of a giant piece of live edge. I haven't decided if it's going to be a long straight bar or a corner style yet. I'm still trying to fucking get through the moving process right now. Moving is a fucking stressful nightmare and a shit ton of work... and I'm only moving 5 minutes away. So much to do. Overwhelming.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Your Pops is a genius.

That sounds really cool.

I am going to make our bar out of a giant piece of live edge. I haven't decided if it's going to be a long straight bar or a corner style yet. I'm still trying to fucking get through the moving process right now. Moving is a fucking stressful nightmare and a shit ton of work... and I'm only moving 5 minutes away. So much to do. Overwhelming.
Pick a piece that has a flowing edge. Redwood is GREAT for that. Mexican pine and Bay tree is awesome as well. Bay tree generally has more cool tones where redwood might go better with your red oak. Cypress does both. Mexican pine tends to cross over to both. Mexican pine is generally harder than US pine. Bay tree is hard as hell

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
BTW... Look at having your wood finished with brix wax. (SP?). You can rub a little on every couple years but it is smooth as silk and you can put drinks on it. Total wood feel and look. That's what my coffee table is finished with and - as you might imagine - takes lots of abuse.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
BTW... Look at having your wood finished with brix wax. (SP?). You can rub a little on every couple years but it is smooth as silk and you can put drinks on it. Total wood feel and look. That's what my coffee table is finished with and - as you might imagine - takes lots of abuse.

This slab is going to be poured with a thick clear epoxy that will completely seal the whole thing. The wood will basically be like a prehistoric bug preserved in a piece of amber.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Here are a few pics of the bed and one of part of the coffee table. The coffee table is now more of an end table in my "Cave". It essentially has plants, Rams stuff, and remnants from my brewery on it so I couldn't really get a good picture. The first bed pic is my sons Rob and Fulton when they were young helping to sand one of the posts. I somehow can't find any pictures of them hammering on the pickets.
Boys in shop 02.JPG
IMG_20210518_081058037.jpg
IMG_20210518_081127724.jpg
IMG_20210518_081140811.jpg
IMG_20210518_081217277.jpg
IMG_20210518_081230156.jpg
IMG_20210518_081324542.jpg

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Here are a few pics of the bed and one of part of the coffee table. The coffee table is now more of an end table in my "Cave". It essentially has plants, Rams stuff, and remnants from my brewery on it so I couldn't really get a good picture. The first bed pic is my sons Rob and Fulton when they were young helping to sand one of the posts. I somehow can't find any pictures of them hammering on the pickets.
View attachment 45515View attachment 45516View attachment 45517View attachment 45518View attachment 45519View attachment 45520View attachment 45521
It's beautiful.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
View attachment 45515View attachment 45516View attachment 45517View attachment 45518View attachment 45519View attachment 45520View attachment 45521
That is some dayum fine work there man!! Very impressive!!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I bought this beauty yesterday. It's what they call a live edge slab. This one is from a walnut tree. You can see from the chalk writing on it that it is basically 42" one way and 37" another. It's also 4"+ thick.

I'm having this made into a table that will sit in front of my fish tank. The deal with these Live Edge slabs is that you keep the uniqueness of the piece preserved. So the table will have the same basic look as you see now. It will be sanded down... but the edges will basically look just like this.

I'm having an ocean blue colored epoxy put into all of the cracks first... it's kind of transparent and it will actually glow in the dark. Then I'm having a thick clear epoxy poured over the whole thing to preserve it all.

I haven't decided on a base yet... but I'm thinking about a tree stump possibly. It's too soon to decide that though.

Here's a couple of shots of the slab now...

View attachment 45490

View attachment 45491

I don’t know anything about this stuff... but an edge slab sounds like a vertical cut, yours appears horizontal?

Are there different types?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I don’t know anything about this stuff... but an edge slab sounds like a vertical cut, yours appears horizontal?

Are there different types?

Yeah... this one is horizontal... used for a round shape. The vertical ones are for longer use like a bar or a long rectangular table.

I am going to make my bar out of one too once I figure out how I want to set that up.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Moved into a new house and wanted a hammock for the backyard. Went with this one, the ENO SuperNest. LOVE it!
8C254C24-757C-4078-A328-314D02AB05DB.jpeg

Last edited:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Luckily, I have two perfectly situated trees I was able to use. It’s become my new Zen spot.
I had some tree expert out a few weeks back. He told me the trees would do better if I drilled into them for my hammock. I have them wrapped currently. Not what I would have thought.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Had to add the 12 gauge to the collection. Now just looking for a long range rifle (when the Mrs. Allows)
A1EE9225-FD35-4D53-91FA-F99E347FBE0A.jpeg

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I had some tree expert out a few weeks back. He told me the trees would do better if I drilled into them for my hammock. I have them wrapped currently. Not what I would have thought.
I bought the ENO harness system, which is supposed to be very tree friendly.