The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, not even worth a thread merge so.....
In before the lock!!!!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Hey if you wanna contribute, at least help out in the #questfor100round2.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
More time doesn't equate to anything other than more time. doesn't make receivers be open or open throwing lanes.

Look, PFF has come a long way from their initial evaluations when no one in the league paid them for much beyond raw data. That said, I'll continue to argue and make the same point that Belichick made which is that unless you're in a team's building and you know the call, you CANNOT know the player's responsibility and as such, any "grade" is going to be at best under informed.

The best I can do is to say that PFF is a basic tool and any FO or coach who uses them as the be all will shortly be out of a job.

You can sell them all you like, I'm not buying. Push all you like, I and others are giving you reasons based on the inherent limitations of both what and how they collect the data.

Also, as someone who built networks, if the PFF data was really all that, there'd already be a database tool for teams to create profiles from college players so they'd KNOW with a level of certainty not seen in the modern age of who will succeed making it to the next level. There is no computer modeling for this because the data isn't contextual enough at this time to create accurate models. REAL analytics is getting better and better at determining such things with greater and greater accuracy, but what must precede that is contextual data and the NFL isn't there, yet.

They're a helluva lot farther along than when PFF started, but again, if PFF were all that, you wouldn't need scouting departments or GMs. You'd just create an algorithm for team building and execute that.
Then what is the NFLs need for pff at all? Why do they use them? I'm not trying to push anything. I don't own any stock in em. But I know that I'm just a regular guy and they've built a living doing what they do. But it seems like some regular guys here downplay what they do. So I continue to ask, why do so many teams use them? Unless you already answered. Then my bad. I can't keep up with all of this is

Edit: okay I see you did answer it a bit. But I'm not saying that they should be an end all be all. I'm simply saying that what they are doing is more analytical then just eyeballing it and saying what you think. And that's more valuable to me. Somehow people think I'm advocating that they're the bees knees. What I'm actually saying is , whatever it is they do, they're good at it. And that's exactly why teams find use for them. So when you say "of PFF were all that you wouldn't need scouting departments and GM's" I kinda disagree because scouting departments and GM's use their tool. No one is saying they're above and beyond nfl knowledge. I am however sayinf that people posting on a board should have more reason to dismiss them other than "well when I watched that play I saw different". If PFF doesn't know the assignments then we damn sure don't.

But our opinions differ. Totally fine.

Last edited:

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay but In the scenario, if they're in max protect and they succeed then shouldn't the qb then have time? Even if they're masking our offensive line issues with play action, roll outs, max protect, etc, shouldn't that give the qb more time (since pff is "grading" their blocking on those plays as good) shouldn't the qb be able to produce better in those plays?
That’s assuming while we are max protecting .. the 2 or three receivers that are out on routes can actually get open

Or the defense while seeeing us are in max protect just sits down on the short to intermediate routes we have to run
You know the safeties not have to worry about being beat deep can get in on the action with then linebackers and the corners ...

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That’s assuming while we are max protecting .. the 2 or three receivers thatb are out on routes can actually get open
Well that can be said for every team in the NFL. I think our guys struggled more than before (no number 1 reciever) but I think Coop and Bobby are open enough that our offense shouldn't have been so putried.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well that can be said for every team in the NFL. I think our guys struggled more than before (no number 1 reciever) but I think Coop and Bobby are open enough that our offense shouldn't have been so putried.
You think ..... you don’t know for 100% sure ... like I’m not saying they weren’t open .. but from what I can recollect there weren’t many plays this year off the top of my head where dudes were running wide open .. goff had to fit some throws into tights windows ..

Edit : and on those plays were they wide open maybe goff was getting hit in the face or had a defender in his throwing lane or getting sacked

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You think ..... you don’t know for 100% sure ... like I’m not saying they weren’t open .. but from what I can recollect there weren’t many plays this year off the top of my head where dudes were running wide open .. goff had to fit some throws into tights windows ..

Edit : and on those plays were they wide open maybe goff was getting hit in the face or had a defender in his throwing lane or getting sacked
I hear you. Way too subjective for us to know any of it honestly. Just the people in the room who can ask "why didn't this specific happen?"

Tano

Legend
If you looked at each play of the Seattle first half like I did, you would see that Goff did his best on each one of his passes except for maybe 5 passes at best. And even then, they weren't horrible decisions except for the pass that shall forevermore be nameless. And that was one of his worst games (Miami Jets and SF being the others).

I bet if I look at the first half of the other games that Goff probably made the right decision on every play except for the really bad ones. And that is where Goff needs to improve. Get rid of the really horrible decisions in the game. He seems to make one or two every game. Get rid of those and we win those games.

Tano

Legend

Like the one where Blythe was not blocking anyone for a half second and then went to help out Edwards and HE got pushed by Edwards defender into Goff. Right when Goff threw the ball as well that would have gone to a WIDE open Woods in the Seattle game for a TD.

I still can't get over that one.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol sometimes I wonder how this forum got to be soo non conducive to actual discussions lol.

Goff isn’t going anywhere not this year at least. We can’t really afford to go out and get someone that can really challenge Goff. Like Snead and McVay has said the object is to improve the team. If by bringing in Kaep forces Goff to train harder study more then that’s a net positive for this team.

this post isn’t political it’s all about improving the team with a low cost option. Not even saying if Kaep is really looking to play football or not the point is there aren’t many low cost qbs who will pose a real threat to Goff

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every morning I wake up and read new articles about how Goff may not play for the Rams in 2021. Maybe McVay and Snead want Jared to request for a trade? Who the heck knows.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What makes you think after sitting around and not playing for how ever many years it was since he lost his job to bad play he could suddenly step on a field and play well? I won't get into anything else but that. He lost his job to bad play and has been out of the game for I think four years now. He wasn't as good as some people seem to remember and hasn't to our knowledge been practicing his craft. He's had opportunities to sign and refused to as well so not sure he even wants to play.

In short no because he wasn't good and no because I don't think he has the desire to play.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I haven’t been the biggest Goff supporter but his contract is hard to maneuver around. So I say let’s bring in Kaepernick. It’s a low cost option he’s been to a Super Bowl and he will definitely push Goff. At the end of the day either Goff rise to the challenge or McVay can really massage his ego by resurrecting Kaep

He’ll no. Kaepernick has been out of football too long and he wasn’t very good when he was playing. He got benched in favor of a backup that sucks.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Also depends on if it's cooking or baking.

Cooking is art. I tend to not use recipes when I cook. Lil extra here, maybe sub out an ingredient there...

Baking is science. You better measure that stuff... Baking is stoichiometry with heat. Off by a little bit can drastically change the output.
Yes baking is a science.
I rarely measure when cooking. I also deviate from recipes often to fit my palate.

As far as baking, sometimes measuring isn't even enough.
Weighing ingredients instead of measuring produces the best results.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I haven’t been the biggest Goff supporter but his contract is hard to maneuver around. So I say let’s bring in Kaepernick. It’s a low cost option he’s been to a Super Bowl and he will definitely push Goff. At the end of the day either Goff rise to the challenge or McVay can really massage his ego by resurrecting Kaep
Kaepernick lost his job to Blaine Gabbert.

.........Blaine Gabbert.

Then, Kaep was informed that he would have to earn his job back the next season, by competing for the starting position.
So, Kaep asked to be released.
Which the Whiners were happy to oblige.

Last edited:

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Didn't the Ravens give him a look and his GF convinced him to hold out for more than the vet minimum or something?

On the topic, I wonder what Marc Bulger is doing these days. Maybe he's finally healed from the Martz era? We should kick the tires there, too