The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Again....one last time. I never indicated I would take anyone over anyone.

I guess in your world if I say my wife is blaming a waitress for bad service that means I am dumping my wife for the waitress?

Work on your reading comprehension.

Did you actually read the post you quoted? I didnt say you would take him over McVay.

But dont say McVay is using Goff as a scapegoat. Goff has earned all the criticism he's received from McVay in the media. Earned it all.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Thats is purely a result of the quick passing game that they tried to implement. It is not indicative of the oline performance.

Again the OL was not as bad as many around here are making it out to be. People have forgotten the 2019 OL. But blaming the OL and McVay are just more convenient for some, even though McVay HIMSELF was the one calling out Goff to the media. McVay didnt call out the OL. He called out his QB.

Give my boy Goff a clean 2.5 to 2.75 seconds to throw the ball and watch him dismantle any secondary.

I was just letting you know Goff had 2.5sec per drop-back last year so you might need to work on a new theory. Lack of a deep threat and new girlfriend seem to be popular ones lately.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Again the OL was not as bad as many around here are making it out to be. People have forgotten the 2019 OL. But blaming the OL and McVay are just more convenient for some, even though McVay HIMSELF was the one calling out Goff to the media. McVay didnt call out the OL. He called out his QB.

I was just letting you know Goff had 2.5sec per drop-back last year so you might need to work on a new theory. Lack of a deep threat and new girlfriend seem to be popular ones lately.
Bucky Brooks on McVay:

"
While I understand the need or desire to promote competition within the locker room, it is rare for the head coach to include the quarterback position in the conversation, particularly when it is a veteran with a strong résumé that includes a Super Bowl appearance. Keep in mind, this is the same signal-caller the Rams signed to a four-year, $134 million extension with a then-record $110 million in guarantees back in September of 2019. McVay almost certainly had to sign off on that deal, as the architect and primary play-designer of an offense that once took the league by storm under Goff's direction. This is also the same head coach who helped the fifth-year pro shake the "bust" label affixed to his name after a rocky rookie season and elevated the young quarterback into a two-time Pro Bowler.
Given his personal investment in Goff's development, I would expect McVay to exhibit more patience and consideration with his starting quarterback. Sure, he can express his disappointment in his QB1's play based on the turnovers (17) and inconsistency throughout a campaign in which Goff passed for 3,962 yards with 20 touchdowns and a 90.0 passer rating. But McVay should also acknowledge his role in the offense's sputtering, with defensive coordinators catching up with his scheme and the Rams' B-level pass catchers and offensive line unable to consistently win against top defenses.
I'm surprised McVay has decided to play the silent blame game and seemingly pin all of the offensive woes on his quarterback. Honestly, the Rams coach should take a long, hard look in the mirror to determine whether the person with the joystick also deserves some criticism

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
McVay has NEVER shied away from taking the blame first.

What's striking is him sharing ANY of the blame. In that respect, I agree that it was out of the ordinary for him.

That said, after the "benching", Goff seemed to both play with an edge and make better decisions.

Rams77

Starter
McVay has to study Andy Reid some more who has some of the most creative/imaginative play calling in red zone and short yardage situations. Similar situations killed us this year/Mcvay has to have some more unpredictable play calls in his bag of tricks in crunch time. We were top 10 in yards gained but bottom third in points. Red Zone failures/3rd down failures/few big plays. He doesn't trust Goff or he has been figured out or both

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay has to study Andy Reid some more who has some of the most creative/imaginative play calling in red zone and short yardage situations. Similar situations killed us this year/Mcvay has to have some more unpredictable play calls in his bag of tricks in crunch time. We were top 10 in yards gained but bottom third in points. Red Zone failures/3rd down failures/few big plays. He doesn't trust Goff or he has been figured out or both

It surprised me how little razzle dazzle there was from McVay this year. I remember him stealing some great misdirection plays from other teams during 2017 and 2018. The offense this year didn't seem to have much of that. The only thing that comes to mind immediately is the two-point conversion against Green Bay.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Bucky Brooks on McVay:

"
While I understand the need or desire to promote competition within the locker room, it is rare for the head coach to include the quarterback position in the conversation, particularly when it is a veteran with a strong résumé that includes a Super Bowl appearance. Keep in mind, this is the same signal-caller the Rams signed to a four-year, $134 million extension with a then-record $110 million in guarantees back in September of 2019. McVay almost certainly had to sign off on that deal, as the architect and primary play-designer of an offense that once took the league by storm under Goff's direction. This is also the same head coach who helped the fifth-year pro shake the "bust" label affixed to his name after a rocky rookie season and elevated the young quarterback into a two-time Pro Bowler.
Given his personal investment in Goff's development, I would expect McVay to exhibit more patience and consideration with his starting quarterback. Sure, he can express his disappointment in his QB1's play based on the turnovers (17) and inconsistency throughout a campaign in which Goff passed for 3,962 yards with 20 touchdowns and a 90.0 passer rating. But McVay should also acknowledge his role in the offense's sputtering, with defensive coordinators catching up with his scheme and the Rams' B-level pass catchers and offensive line unable to consistently win against top defenses.
I'm surprised McVay has decided to play the silent blame game and seemingly pin all of the offensive woes on his quarterback. Honestly, the Rams coach should take a long, hard look in the mirror to determine whether the person with the joystick also deserves some criticism

What's funny to me is that even though McVay simply answered the questions provided to him by reporters (which were primarily focused upon the QB), HE DID STATE that they would step back and look at and evaluate EVERYTHING. He repeated it over and over again, but the focus has been on the sacred cow QB. This by the media AND many fans.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And yet, Stafford is a perennial loser who has done little to elevate his franchise. He also missed half the season last year and played part of this season with injuries. You assume the best case scenario. That Stafford comes here, stays healthy, and plays at least as well as he did in Detroit this year. Neither of those things are guaranteed. That's why these fantasy scenarios are pointless. It's easy for me to say we'd be a better team with Watson. Because he's clearly a better QB than Goff. Stafford isn't. He falls into that same tier of QBing. And Goff has actually room for growth, whereas Stafford will soon be 33 years old.

Pointless to keep discussing, but "perennial loser" for a player who has played well for chunks of his career with arguably the worst organization in pro sports is a weird take.

Saying "fantasy scenarios are pointless" is also odd - it's one of the main reasons people come to these boards.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
View attachment 43171

Goff had the 10th best pocket time in the NFL. There's your 2.5 seconds... I agree the line could be better, but the line has been getting all the blame around here and its crazy to me. They weren't that bad this season. People have forgotten what the line looked like last year. But I get people wanting to deflect all the blame off of Goff so I understand. I gave Goff the benefit of the doubt after the OL injuries last year and zero running game. But the line was much improved this season and we had a top 10 rushing attack. Also he had the #1 defense supporting him. He doesn't get a pass this year.

Despite this, and PFF ranking them 3rd, and ESPN pass block win rate being high AND barely allowing any sacks fans will still blame the OL. It's really quite amazing.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Weird game to point out since his receivers let him down that game and the defense couldn't get off the field (they had almost double the TOP).

Dropped TD
Dropped TD
Dropped Deep Pass
???

Defense shut them down in the second half so I'm assuming you meant to say the defense couldn't get off the field in the first half.

I never said the WRs played well - they didn't - but it was also an awful game by Goff where the OL was good

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Despite this, and PFF ranking them 3rd, and ESPN pass block win rate being high AND barely allowing any sacks fans will still blame the OL. It's really quite amazing.
Watch the games...

BTW, by PFF rankings, Ramsey is a mediocre CB.

Tano

Legend
Defense shut them down in the second half so I'm assuming you meant to say the defense couldn't get off the field in the first half.

I never said the WRs played well - they didn't - but it was also an awful game by Goff where the OL was good
That 1st 49er game, I saw Goff overthrow a wide open Kupp by 10 yards and said oh oh - this might be a bad game by Goff.

And I was right - his throws were off all game for some reason.

He has that game once or twice a year and I don't know why. But other QBs have those games too so I give Goff a pass on that game.

He was just bad that game. He is allowed in my book one or two games a year where he can't hit the open receiver for some reason.

FYI - that was the only game this year that I said at the beginning of the game - uh oh - Goff might be off this game.

The other games were bad play calls/bad decisions by Goff.

I have agreed many times that Goff needs to make better decisions when pressured.

As to Goff having 2.5 seconds to pass on most plays, well the times he had 2.5 seconds to pass - he usually threw a good ball.

Look at the games again - the times he made bad decisions were when he had less than 2 seconds to pass. And that happened too frequently in my book due to poor blocking by Blythe.

The Tampa Bay game - Brady had ALL day to throw on most pass plays.

Against Green Bay - Goff had probably 10 plays where he had to get rid of the ball within 2 secs. Too MANY.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe I've missed these posts, but I yet to see anyone come close to the part in bold. Yet what's actually been amazing to me is that posts in defense of Goff seem make what seems to be this imaginary point over and over again.
So you dont read the vent threads or the GDT threads? Because the only amazing thing to me is calling that imaginary.
Buffalo game, 1st half Goff put team in hole they couldnt recover, both San Fran games (where it was heresy to point at the D), the Miami tragedy? And of course the classic Jets game where Sam Darnold looked unstoppable.....
You just arent reading threads here if you dont see Goff being blamed for those losses

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watch the games...

BTW, by PFF rankings, Ramsey is a mediocre CB.
Lol, aint that the truth. Goff avoids sacks throws ball away (often with bad results, INT or grounding) and therefore the o-line gets the notch for no-sack even the pressure forced him in to bad decision....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It surprised me how little razzle dazzle there was from McVay this year. I remember him stealing some great misdirection plays from other teams during 2017 and 2018. The offense this year didn't seem to have much of that. The only thing that comes to mind immediately is the two-point conversion against Green Bay.
And Akers running wildcat same game. Dont recall seeing that any other time during year, or ever. Did Gurley ever run wildcat?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That 1st 49er game, I saw Goff overthrow a wide open Kupp by 10 yards and said oh oh - this might be a bad game by Goff.

And I was right - his throws were off all game for some reason.

He has that game once or twice a year and I don't know why. But other QBs have those games too so I give Goff a pass on that game.

He was just bad that game. He is allowed in my book one or two games a year where he can't hit the open receiver for some reason.
Are you thinking of the right game? Goff moved the ball in the 2nd half, San Fran owned the first half, defense couldnt get off the field. 49ers had like 22 of the 30 first half minutes. That game was lost because again they couldnt get in from the 2 yard line and the defense couldnt make a stop to give the Rams a chance to tie

Memphis Ram

Legend
So you dont read the vent threads or the GDT threads? Because the only amazing thing to me is calling that imaginary.
Buffalo game, 1st half Goff put team in hole they couldnt recover, both San Fran games (where it was heresy to point at the D), the Miami tragedy? And of course the classic Jets game where Sam Darnold looked unstoppable.....
You just arent reading threads here if you dont see Goff being blamed for those losses

No I don't read all the threads. Especially on game day. Sorry. But, I'm surprised anyone would take to heart anything said immediately after or during what appears to be a loss when emotions are running so freaking high.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pointless to keep discussing, but "perennial loser" for a player who has played well for chunks of his career with arguably the worst organization in pro sports is a weird take.

Saying "fantasy scenarios are pointless" is also odd - it's one of the main reasons people come to these boards.

The "perennial loser" benefitted from situational play-calling in a way Goff didn't. That greatly inflated his numbers. Unsurprisingly, those numbers are what form the basis of how many judge his performances. Let's just say there's a reason he has been nicknamed Stat Padford in the past. As for the fantasy scenarios, we come to this board to discuss football. You want to have fantasy scenarios where the best case scenario plays out for the QBing replacing Goff. I just watched a season where the best case scenarios did not play out for us.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No I don't read all the threads. Especially on game day. Sorry. But, I'm surprised anyone would take to heart anything said immediately after or during what appears to be a loss when emotions are running so freaking high.
So you dont read the threads where the blame is placed and then say the blame is imaginary? Got it....