The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
McVay has to study Andy Reid some more who has some of the most creative/imaginative play calling in red zone and short yardage situations. Similar situations killed us this year/Mcvay has to have some more unpredictable play calls in his bag of tricks in crunch time. We were top 10 in yards gained but bottom third in points. Red Zone failures/3rd down failures/few big plays. He doesn't trust Goff or he has been figured out or both
C'mon...those WR screens on 3rd and 12 are sweet.

Memphis Ram

Legend
So you dont read the threads where the blame is placed and then say the blame is imaginary? Got it....

No you don't.

There's blame and then there the hyperbole that was being discussed. I stated that I didn't see posts where, " For some reason every loss is Goff's fault and every win is achieved without any help from Goff. "

And I bet your can't find a single poster in any thread that believes that "every loss is Goff's fault and every win is achieved without any help from Goff." Even if you could, it obviously makes no sense whatsoever and should be ignored.

However, what happens is this is what the posters bending over backwards vigorously defending Goff always go to in his defense. And they use this against anyone who offers a critique of Goff. Large or small.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

From what I've read, one avid defender of Goff saw this and acknowledged how he was going overboard. Hopefully, the others follow suit.

Last edited:

Ellard80

Legend
View attachment 43171

Goff had the 10th best pocket time in the NFL. There's your 2.5 seconds... I agree the line could be better, but the line has been getting all the blame around here and its crazy to me. They weren't that bad this season. People have forgotten what the line looked like last year. But I get people wanting to deflect all the blame off of Goff so I understand. I gave Goff the benefit of the doubt after the OL injuries last year and zero running game. But the line was much improved this season and we had a top 10 rushing attack. Also he had the #1 defense supporting him. He doesn't get a pass this year.

According to PFF (who breakdown every play of every game) we had the #3 best oline. Now I'm not saying i think its #3. But the idea that our line sucks is overblown. yeah its had bad moments... but every 0-line does (see Green bay against tampa bay)

There were games and moments when the oline failed - for sure (see the green bay game)

But evidently its morally okay to criticize the oline but not the quarterback.

Evidently olinemans feelings are not as precious as the QBs... or something

Goff was not always to blame - but neither was the offensive line.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No you don't.

There's blame and then there the hyperbole that was being discussed. I stated that I didn't see posts where, " For some reason every loss is Goff's fault and every win is achieved without any help from Goff. "

And I bet your can't find a single poster in any thread that believes that "every loss is Goff's fault and every win is achieved without any help from Goff." Even if you could, it obviously makes no sense whatsoever and should be ignored.

However, what happens is this is what the posters bending over backwards vigorously defending Goff always go to in their defense. And they use this against anyone who offers a critique of Goff.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
So let me get this straight, the game is discussed primarily in the GDT and the vent thread, to which you claim to read neither. But you feel that you have the authority to judge what posters have said, or didnt say?
Got it.
Make blanket statements, when challenged make more blanket statements with condescending digs thrown in
Wash, rinse, repeat

Memphis Ram

Legend
So let me get this straight, the game is discussed primarily in the GDT and the vent thread, to which you claim to read neither. But you feel that you have the authority to judge what posters have said, or didnt say?
Got it.
Make blanket statements, when challenged make more blanket statements with condescending digs thrown in
Wash, rinse, repeat

I made a condescending dig? I don't see how, I thought is was the other way around, but if so, I apologize. This sorta reminds me of an old preacher who use to say, "don't get offended, but if I've stepped on your toes, just say ouch and move on."

Anyway, there is more than one GDT and Vent Thread on this forum. I said that I don't read every thread and surely don't have the time to read every post in any thread. And I hope and pray that we all have enough of a life not to do so.

The key is that posters not even posting or stating what is supposedly said in these GDT and Vent Threads are being attacked by the same few defenders with the same hyperbole just for offering a critique of Goff. How do I know? I was attacked with this nonsense. And I've seen it happen to others.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Tano

Legend
Are you thinking of the right game? Goff moved the ball in the 2nd half, San Fran owned the first half, defense couldnt get off the field. 49ers had like 22 of the 30 first half minutes. That game was lost because again they couldnt get in from the 2 yard line and the defense couldnt make a stop to give the Rams a chance to tie
Yes I am talking about the right game. His passes were off the entire game for the most part.

That pass to Reynolds from the 2 yard line that was intercepted was a yard to far to the left that Goff makes in his sleep most games.

There were at least 5 more passes that game that he just missed.

I do agree that the defense played poorly in the first half and Goff did bring them back in the second half but a lot of his passes were just .... off.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That pass to Reynolds from the 2 yard line that was intercepted was a yard to far to the left that Goff makes in his sleep most games.
That was a jump ball that Reynolds made a half ass attempt at.
On 4th down.
Wasnt going to be completed but was a kick in the nuts it got picked in the end zone. Problem with that was not getting it in from the 1 on the 2 plays prior

Tano

Legend
On 4th down.
Wasnt going to be completed but was a kick in the nuts it got picked in the end zone. Problem with that was not getting it in from the 1 on the 2 plays prior
I have to disagree on that pass. It was not a jump ball. Reynolds definitely half ass it or slipped trying for it but the ball was at minimum a yard too far to the left.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
On 4th down.
Rams had problems getting it in on the one all year and yet people say the line was "way better" which it was from 2019 but that's not saying much.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watch the games...

BTW, by PFF rankings, Ramsey is a mediocre CB.

I do - the OL was fine IMO. They got beat some, like every player in the NFL gets beaten. I have no problem with Goff making an inaccurate pass or taking a sack due to pressure.

But - and I'll say this again and maybe people can actually comment on it - there are a ton of posts referencing the Rams 31st ranked OL from last season one year ago around this time. PFF ranked them 31st last year.

So what happened is, Goff and the offense struggled, the OL was to blame and people USED PFFs ranking of 31st.

So now this year, Goff struggled, while the run game was pretty decent and several metrics, along with PFF, rate the Rams OL as above average, and yet people are still going in on the offensive line, ignoring the ranking they used LAST YEAR.

Using it last year when it fit an agenda and ignoring it this year is a little sketchy.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The "perennial loser" benefitted from situational play-calling in a way Goff didn't. That greatly inflated his numbers. Unsurprisingly, those numbers are what form the basis of how many judge his performances. Let's just say there's a reason he has been nicknamed Stat Padford in the past. As for the fantasy scenarios, we come to this board to discuss football. You want to have fantasy scenarios where the best case scenario plays out for the QBing replacing Goff. I just watched a season where the best case scenarios did not play out for us.

Right and in football, anytime you talk about free agents or potential draft picks it's all a "fantasy scenario" to project how you think that player would fit in.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right and in football, anytime you talk about free agents or potential draft picks it's all a "fantasy scenario" to project how you think that player would fit in.

Yes, it is. It's guesswork, and I'm usually wrong about 80+% of it (if not all of it). But I do it because I enjoy talking about prospects and potential free agents. If you told me I'm just speculating, I would tell you that's exactly what I'm doing. The difference here is you seem to believe your guesswork is fact. The idea that Stafford would have been a magic bullet to this team's problems this year is inaccurate to me. There are some QBs who would be a magic bullet because they're that damn good. Stafford isn't one of those QBs.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, it is. It's guesswork, and I'm usually wrong about 80+% of it (if not all of it). But I do it because I enjoy talking about prospects and potential free agents. If you told me I'm just speculating, I would tell you that's exactly what I'm doing. The difference here is you seem to believe your guesswork is fact. The idea that Stafford would have been a magic bullet to this team's problems this year is inaccurate to me. There are some QBs who would be a magic bullet because they're that damn good. Stafford isn't one of those QBs.

Well sure, I believe Stafford is a better QB than Goff the same way you think Trevor Lawrence is the best QB prospect in the draft.

Of course I could be wrong, and of course I don't think that I am or I wouldn't have posted the opinion. It's all guesswork, as you say. McVay and Snead wouldn't be very good at their jobs if they weren't asking themselves these questions right now.

What's sort of ironic in all this is that when you remove the trolls, which ROD has done a pretty good job of, you're left with people on two different sides - if Goff comes in and tears it up next year, I'll have no issue admitting I was wrong - but if he struggles, seems like a good bet a lot of people will continue to blame everything but him.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Despite this, and PFF ranking them 3rd, and ESPN pass block win rate being high AND barely allowing any sacks fans will still blame the OL. It's really quite amazing.
Blythe got worked over every time we faced a top DL who could bullrush him. Boom started off well in place of Whit but ended up struggling. Outside of those two elements the Rams were a very good OL. This is why you see that split in opinion on our OL.

Against Green Bay - Goff had probably 10 plays where he had to get rid of the ball within 2 secs. Too MANY.
Generally the game you get eliminated comes with a laundry list of bad shit from pressures on your QB to your run game being stuffed to your defense being run on and so forth and so on.

If the Rams had played better on defense we probably win that game. If the OL had played better up front we probably win that game. But you can apply that to the QB too. This is a team game. What McVay has to do now is determine whether Goff gives the Rams the best chance to win of his options.

What has he done since that game? Added another scrappy mobile QB to the depth chart. Not a big move but I am starting to discern a trend in what he's looking for at the very least from his backups which is aggressive run tendencies to pick up first downs. In a way that makes sense for a backup too btw. But there's a lot of confusion for all of us on this and re: what McVay thinks about the starter and IMO we're all just trying to get a handle on that.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe I've missed these posts, but I yet to see anyone come close to the part in bold. Yet what's actually been amazing to me is that posts in defense of Goff seem make what seems to be this imaginary point over and over again.
It’s like you’re intentionally missing the point here. You’re right, I very seriously doubt anyone has literally typed “every loss is Goffs fault and every win is achieved without his help”

just like I’m pretty sure no one has literally typed “I am here to vigorously defend Goff” ...or anything close to that as you put it. But neither of these things mean that the aforementioned isn’t happening in some form or fashion.

i’ve seen posts that said “the rams would win more games with literally anyone else in the NFL at qb” in the game day thread. So now I’ve brought one example to your attention (you can chose to believe me or not in terms of whether or not it happened but it did) how is that not giving absolutely no credit to Goff while being the starting QB of a playoff team? If any other qb on an NFL roster could do better we must be winning in spite of him right?

HellRam

Starter
I use to have much more respect for PFF. They've obviously gone down hill since their popularity has risen for whatever the reason.

According to PFF our oline this year was better then the 2017/2018 lines. Yeah, I think not. They also claim Williams is better them Ramsey. Nothing about PFF is pragmatic.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I made a condescending dig? I don't see how, I thought is was the other way around, but if so, I apologize. This sorta reminds me of an old preacher who use to say, "don't get offended, but if I've stepped on your toes, just say ouch and move on."

Anyway, there is more than one GDT and Vent Thread on this forum. I said that I don't read every thread and surely don't have the time to read every post in any thread. And I hope and pray that we all have enough of a life not to do so.

The key is that posters not even posting or stating what is supposedly said in these GDT and Vent Threads are being attacked by the same few defenders with the same hyperbole just for offering a critique of Goff. How do I know? I was attacked with this nonsense. And I've seen it happen to others.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
Again with this shit. You’re mad people are being attacked or that you got attacked. But what are you doing while accusing people who support Goff of being delusional/lying/whatever you want to call it. ?? And please save me the “I never called anyone delusional” bit. When you say that people are referencing things that don’t exist they’re either lying or delusional.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to disagree on that pass. It was not a jump ball. Reynolds definitely half ass it or slipped trying for it but the ball was at minimum a yard too far to the left.
The ball was a throw away, and Verrett made an unreal catch. Reynolds could have broken it up but half assed it. There wasnt a play there

Memphis Ram

Legend
It’s like you’re intentionally missing the point here. You’re right, I very seriously doubt anyone has literally typed “every loss is Goffs fault and every win is achieved without his help”

just like I’m pretty sure no one has literally typed “I am here to vigorously defend Goff” ...or anything close to that as you put it. But neither of these things mean that the aforementioned isn’t happening in some form or fashion.

i’ve seen posts that said “the rams would win more games with literally anyone else in the NFL at qb” in the game day thread. So now I’ve brought one example to your attention (you can chose to believe me or not in terms of whether or not it happened but it did) how is that not giving absolutely no credit to Goff while being the starting QB of a playoff team? If any other qb on an NFL roster could do better we must be winning in spite of him right?

But, even that some form or fashion is up for debate. Why? I've read and typed posts where one thing is stated and the responder who read the same post came up with what appeared to be an entirely different interpretation. Its as if that person must defend Goff against all possible threats foreign or domestic or something in how bias some of the interpretation/responses have been.

I've had exchanges on the subject where words have been put into my mouth or I'm told what I must be thinking. I've been told and I've watched others be told that something is either this way or that way with absolutely no consideration that it can freaking be both ways. It's like a line is drawn in the sand and you are either for or against the sacred cow QB. There is no inbetween.

Last edited: