The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Well, would like to see him behind that line with those skill players.

And I am not saying he is as good as Brady, but I find it interesting when the best of the best, turn it over three times when they have those advantages that I mentioned.

It's a team game. Aaron Rodgers just showed us that once again. For some reason every loss is Goff's fault and every win is achieved without any help from Goff.

It's kind of amazing.

Maybe I've missed these posts, but I yet to see anyone come close to the part in bold. Yet what's actually been amazing to me is that posts in defense of Goff seem make what seems to be this imaginary point over and over again.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I was not impressed with Feliciano in this game. He’s powerful and a tough guy but whiffed on a few blocks in pass protection.

Agree on moving on from pending free agent Austin Blythe but I am not in agreement on Jon Feliciano as an O-Line answer.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Dude you literally just said McVay is looking for a scapegoat. How is Goff being #1 in the NFL in turnovers for two consecutive years..and McVay calling Goff out to the media looking for a scapegoat? Its either McVay trying to light a fire under Goff for this offseason, or him seriously contemplating if the future of this offense can work with Goff.

No ones opinion on this board even matters. What matters is what McVay thinks. Thats why this thread was started, because of what McVay said to the media, and how he CHOSE not to clarify things the following day when asked about it. Why would McVay choose to say those things? Its pretty simple to me given Goff's play the last 2 years.

Does that mean Goff is gone? No it doesn't. But it absolutely, 100% means McVay is not happy with his play.
Dude you said I would take McVay over Goff.... Please paste the comment where I said that.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Maybe I've missed these posts, but I yet to see anyone come close to the part in bold. Yet what's actually been amazing to me is that posts in defense of Goff seem make what seems to be this imaginary point over and over again.
Are you serious? Every talking head on TV as well as detractors here, act like McVay does everything for Goff and you see those comments all the time.

They refuse to accept the other deficiencies I mentioned that plague this offense.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Dude you literally just said McVay is looking for a scapegoat. How is Goff being #1 in the NFL in turnovers for two consecutive years..and McVay calling Goff out to the media looking for a scapegoat? Its either McVay trying to light a fire under Goff for this offseason, or him seriously contemplating if the future of this offense can work with Goff.

No ones opinion on this board even matters. What matters is what McVay thinks. Thats why this thread was started, because of what McVay said to the media, and how he CHOSE not to clarify things the following day when asked about it. Why would McVay choose to say those things? Its pretty simple to me given Goff's play the last 2 years.

Does that mean Goff is gone? No it doesn't. But it absolutely, 100% means McVay is not happy with his play.
BTW, who said our opinion's count? They don't, no kidding, doesn't mean we can't express them. After all that's why we come here.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The only spot with the OL, weapons and defense to potentially make it work... and they have an opening... is Indy.

There's NO QUESTION that Rodgers with the Rams would be insane... but there's not enough picks in two drafts to get Rodgers (the only reason Watson would be less potentially is due to the No Trade Clause. I dunno if Rodgers has one)

Also... the guy was asked immediately after losing a game in which he FINALLY got what he wanted... home field throughout... and then to lose at home...knowing he's gonna lose his Center and unsure of any other losses coming due to the reduced cap and after rollover, the Packers are farther in the hole than we are by about $7M (~$27M over the cap per spotrac.com)... he's probably just gutted.

I can't stand the dude's smirk (I dunno why, but I just hate smirks...), but geez Louise...

If he's saying this in March, then... welp, we can revisit this then.

Also, in before people compare the Watson and Rodgers situations... Watson made clear he wanted certain things from his org and they basically mushed him in the face which is why he wants out.

At worst, Rodgers is acknowledging the realities of the transient nature of players in the NFL after a very tough loss. But let's be clear... Rodgers leaving is unlikely in the EXTREME.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Dude you said I would take McVay over Goff.... Please paste the comment where I said that.

No I didnt...I said "If you would choose Goff over McVay you're fucking nuts."

Meaning that McVay's opinion and judgement is what should matter most and what really counts. If he's calling out Goff to the media for his bad play...That means Goff is not playing well, regardless of what anyone around here thinks. If McVay thought the fault was all on the OL he would've called them out, or said we need to improve our blocking. But he chose his words wisely and made a decision to not only call out Goff, but not commit to him next year.

So if you truly value McVay's opinion and his ability to coach and evaluate football talent...that should tell you a lot about his opinion of Goff right now.

Bearrister

Rookie
Whatever the packers are doing isn't working. Since winning the superbowl their playoff record is bad. They look bad in the playoffs. Maybe they need a change to get over the hump.

True, and even before the game Rodgers described his future as a “beautiful mystery.” Maybe he feels like he needs a change of scenery to get that elusive second ring. Peyton Manning and now perhaps Brady are on that track. Andy Reid is one of the greatest coaches around, but things got stale over at Philly and they had to part ways.

He also probably wasn’t happy with the Packers trading up to pick a QB in the first round - so now that combined with the fresh emotions of losing, we sort of have the reverse situation of the Rams and Goff - Rodgers doesn’t want to commit to being back just yet. Will be interesting to see if he backtracks or doubles down on this in the coming days.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was not impressed with Feliciano in this game. He’s powerful and a tough guy but whiffed on a few blocks in pass protection.

Agree on moving on from pending free agent Austin Blythe but I am not in agreement on Jon Feliciano as an O-Line answer.

He's not perfect. He's not elite. If he was, he'd cost big money. He's a solid to good player. Creating a great OL is about having one or two top-shelf guys and no weak links. Feliciano isn't going to have games where he's getting dominated on the majority of plays like Blythe did imo.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
He's not perfect. He's not elite. If he was, he'd cost big money. He's a solid to good player. Creating a great OL is about having one or two top-shelf guys and no weak links. Feliciano isn't going to have games where he's getting dominated on the majority of plays like Blythe did imo.
I agree but if an interior OL whiffs in pass protection, the QB will get destroyed unless he can move.

Allen can move. Goff can’t.

Feliciano seems like a better fit for the Bills than the Rams.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree but if an interior OL whiffs in pass protection, the QB will get destroyed unless he can move.

Allen can move. Goff can’t.

Feliciano seems like a better fit for the Bills than the Rams.

Unless the QB gets the ball out before the defender gets there or the HB steps up in pass protection to slow down the DL or another OL helps on the play. Even the best guys don't win every snap. Feliciano isn't one of the best. He'll lose some snaps. But that's where the rest of the team compensates. What we can't have is a guy who turns into an absolute liability whenever he faces strong interior defenders and loses a significant number of snaps. Blythe was a weak link. You can't have weak links.

Additionally, I would think that we would start Feliciano at Center here. It's easier to play Center than it is OG (where he played today).

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
No I didnt...I said "If you would choose Goff over McVay you're fucking nuts."

Meaning that McVay's opinion and judgement is what should matter most and what really counts. If he's calling out Goff to the media for his bad play...That means Goff is not playing well, regardless of what anyone around here thinks. If McVay thought the fault was all on the OL he would've called them out, or said we need to improve our blocking. But he chose his words wisely and made a decision to not only call out Goff, but not commit to him next year.

So if you truly value McVay's opinion and his ability to coach and evaluate football talent...that should tell you a lot about his opinion of Goff right now.
Again....one last time. I never indicated I would take anyone over anyone.

I guess in your world if I say my wife is blaming a waitress for bad service that means I am dumping my wife for the waitress?

Work on your reading comprehension.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Are you serious? Every talking head on TV as well as detractors here, act like McVay does everything for Goff and you see those comments all the time.

They refuse to accept the other deficiencies I mentioned that plague this offense.

Talking heads on TV? They are just doing their jobs. I'm referring to this message board.

No. What I've seen and read are criticisms of Goff and some disagreements on what are considered deficiencies and their level of impact.

Better yet, here's what I've seen (and experienced) from my perspective:

Person A criticizes Goff.
Instead of acknowledging or discussing the critique, others vigorously come to his defense as if he's sacred pointing out everything around him. This is then followed by posters going back and forth mostly making and arguing against hyperbole and strawmen.

Person B mentions the deficiencies.
Instead of or even while discussing them, a poster may point out how Goff doesn't mitigate them. And like clockwork, the vigorous defense begins again and is followed by posters going back and forth mostly making and arguing against hyperbole and strawmen.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Weird game to point out since his receivers let him down that game and the defense couldn't get off the field (they had almost double the TOP).

Dropped TD
Dropped TD
Dropped Deep Pass
???

That was an uncharacteristic game from Kupp. And JFC, what is Reynolds doing on that last play? The safety isn't over the top, and the CB is running side by side with you to your inside. He picked the wrong option on that route.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Even the best guys don't win every snap. Feliciano isn't one of the best. He'll lose some snaps.

I wrote in my prior post that I thought they should move on from Blythe. He lacks size, strength and power; and does not effectively compensate with his smarts, quickness and agility ... in my opinion.

I also see a difference between ‘not winning on every snap’ (totally agree); and whiffing on blocks.

A pocket QB like Goff has a chance if the interior OL can get his body on a pass rusher but can not maintain the block. However, that type of QB has no chance if the interior OL whiffs on a block.

Just don’t see what you do with Feliciano. Would prefer Corbett, Edwards and even Evans at Guard; and other than ... maybe ... Edwards, none have the strength and power of Feliciano. Also interested in seeing if Anchrum can offer something.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wrote in my prior post that I thought they should move on from Blythe. He lacks size, strength and power; and does not effectively compensate with his smarts, quickness and agility ... in my opinion.

I also see a difference between ‘not winning on every snap’ (totally agree); and whiffing on blocks.

A pocket QB like Goff has a chance if the interior OL can get his body on a pass rusher but can not maintain the block. However, that type of QB has no chance if the interior OL whiffs on a block.

Just don’t see what you do with Feliciano. Would prefer Corbett, Edwards and even Evans at Guard; and other than ... maybe ... Edwards, none have the strength and power of Feliciano. Also interested in seeing if Anchrum can offer something.

Ultimately, the guy I want is Larry Warford. But yeah, I'm good with Feliciano as a backup option. We need some power and meanness on the interior. He brings that. And yes, some of those losses that I referenced include whiffing on blocks. It happens. Regardless, I don't expect the Rams to pursue Feliciano. I think it's more likely they either go for a guy like Warford, who can be a top player at his position and shouldn't cost as much as the top OL FAs, or draft an OL and have him compete with our in-house options.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
At this point we just kind of have to let it ride out. This a dysfunctional family right now over Goff lol. The thing is what I always say I'm sure the Goff neigh sayers are dying to be wrong for the good of the team. That's where I think the issue gets a bit heated. Everyone roots for the same team the people that love Goff have a right to but the people that are concerned or jumped ship on Goff also have that right. This will go back and forth til either Goff is gone and becomes a superstar elsewhere or sucks. Or the ultimate would be to have him have great success on our team that would pretty much ends the Goff war. Until something happens or doesn't this can be debated til the start of next season. Seems like neither side is making any progress. The debate will rage on.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
View attachment 43171

Goff had the 10th best pocket time in the NFL. There's your 2.5 seconds... I agree the line could be better, but the line has been getting all the blame around here and its crazy to me. They weren't that bad this season. People have forgotten what the line looked like last year. But I get people wanting to deflect all the blame off of Goff so I understand. I gave Goff the benefit of the doubt after the OL injuries last year and zero running game. But the line was much improved this season and we had a top 10 rushing attack. Also he had the #1 defense supporting him. He doesn't get a pass this year.
Thats is purely a result of the quick passing game that they tried to implement. It is not indicative of the oline performance. Stats without context are useless.