The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Remove roll outs and compare 7 step drops on 3rd and 7 or more and let's see what his pressure rate is.

Every single offense in the NFL is going to give up more pressure on 3rd and 7. Do you understand how football works? Known passing situations when rushers can pin their ears back will always result in less time.

OP said "if Goff had 2.5 seconds per drop back he would shred any secondary." And I just pointed out in black and white fact that he had 2.5 seconds per drop back. So I'll say it again the line was much better this year than in 2019.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
View attachment 43171

Goff had the 10th best pocket time in the NFL. There's your 2.5 seconds... I agree the line could be better, but the line has been getting all the blame around here and its crazy to me. They weren't that bad this season. People have forgotten what the line looked like last year. But I get people wanting to deflect all the blame off of Goff so I understand. I gave Goff the benefit of the doubt after the OL injuries last year and zero running game. But the line was much improved this season and we had a top 10 rushing attack. Also he had the #1 defense supporting him. He doesn't get a pass this year.

What that doesn't show is that Blythe was getting dogwalked on almost every pass pro set. He just cannot hold up to a bullrush by a big man. just...cannot.

Can he stop the DT from sacking Goff in 2.5s? Yes. Did Goff have a clean pocket to throw from? Was he able to step up into throws? NO.

Our OL wasn't the garbage some want to say it was, but it's also not nearly a top 10 unit.

W/e we do, we need our Center to be stout and our interior to be fully in sync.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every single offense in the NFL is going to give up more pressure on 3rd and 7. Do you understand how football works? Known passing situations when rushers can pin their ears back will always result in less time.

OP said "if Goff had 2.5 seconds per drop back he would shred any secondary." And I just pointed out in black and white fact that he had 2.5 seconds per drop back. So I'll say it again the line was much better this year than in 2019.
I would assume that someone who understands how football works, would understand that an offense that relied heavily on play action and roll outs, demands more time to throw as the play takes longer to develop. But I guess I mistaken.
The Rams offense isn’t a 3 step drop offense.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

I saw Brady drop back time & time again today and had nobody in his grill like Goff has continuously on obvious passing situations.... And he still threw three picks.

Funny, I keep reading that Goff needs a perfect situation to reach a SB... Apparently Aaron Rodgers needs that as well. What, like once in the 13 yrs or so that he has been starting that he has gotten there?

People need to slow their roll in dumping a quality QB like Goff. He has his warts, but so does this offense.

The interior OL collapses on Goff on half of their obvious passing situations.

No special players on offense, meaning big play or physically imposing WRs. No pro bowl caliber receivers/ TE's

No homerun speed at any position outside of Henderson and he is always hurt.

And a running game that is inconsistent.

And most importantly it seems his offense has been figured out or at the very least is predictable, especially due to the lack of special skill players on that offense.

They have nice players, but not guys that can turn a quick screen into 6 like Tyreke Hill or a speed back & no WR that eats up yardage tearing through a secondary like Metcalf or Adams.

So I fear we have a coach looking to find a scapegoat for the failings of his offense.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I saw Brady drop back time & time again today and had nobody in his grill like Goff has continuously on obvious passing situations.... And he still threw three picks.
His last pick was comical. He was like a scared little bitch. Threw that ball up for grabs like a 5 year old playing hot potato. And he wasn’t even going to get hit, DB ran a terrible route at him and would have missed

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Challenge accepted: Here's another story that we can endlessly speculate about; if not Watson why not go for Rodgers?:

As someone who enjoyed speculating about Watson... there's ZERO chance Rodgers leaves the Packers.

ZERO.

Rodgers is gonna be a Packer or he's gonna retire. I can not imagine Rodgers asking for a trade... he had one of if not his best seasons...

Rodgers leaving would literally be world wide news... I don't think they'd allow that trade in Madden...

Memphis Ram

Legend

Funny, I keep reading that Goff needs a perfect situation to reach a SB... Apparently Aaron Rodgers needs that as well. What, like once in the 13 yrs or so that he has been starting that he has gotten there?

People need to slow their roll in dumping a quality QB like Goff. He has his warts, but so does this offense.

The interior OL collapses on Goff on half of their obvious passing situations.

No special players on offense, meaning big play or physically imposing WRs. No pro bowl caliber receivers/ TE's

No homerun speed at any position outside of Henderson and he is always hurt.

And a running game that is inconsistent.

And most importantly it seems his offense has been figured out or at the very least is predictable, especially due to the lack of special skill players on that offense.

They have nice players, but not guys that can turn a quick screen into 6 like Tyreke Hill or even Davante Adams or DJ Metcalf.

So I fear we have a coach looking to find a scapegoat for the failings of his offense.

Problem is that Goff's warts make everything you stated even worse.

MachS

Hall of Fame

If you would choose Goff over McVay then you're fucking nuts. It's not even close to me how much more I'd prefer McVay. And McVay isn't looking for a scapegoat at all. He's just not pulling his punches anymore with the media when it comes to Goff. And that's how this entire damn thread started, with two consecutive days of McVay not committing to Goff next year. Being #1 in turnovers over a 2 year span deserves a shit load of criticism. If you cant understand that then you're so blind in your defense of Goff you cant see what's been happening the last two years. Blame the OL all you want, he still shouldn't be turning the ball over like a madman.

For reference.. below is how LaFluer answered a question today about Rodgers being his QB next season. It wouldn't have been hard for McVay to say something along these lines regarding Goff. At least commenting on his leadership or something. McVay chooses his words very wisely.

1611544040636.png

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What that doesn't show is that Blythe was getting dogwalked on almost every pass pro set. He just cannot hold up to a bullrush by a big man. just...cannot.

Can he stop the DT from sacking Goff in 2.5s? Yes. Did Goff have a clean pocket to throw from? Was he able to step up into throws? NO.

Our OL wasn't the garbage some want to say it was, but it's also not nearly a top 10 unit.

W/e we do, we need our Center to be stout and our interior to be fully in sync.

IMO, Corbett or Feliciano is the answer there. Both are much stouter than Blythe. I don't see McVay starting a rookie. Thus, we need to find ourselves a quality OG (if Corbett slides inside). I think what makes sense to me is:
LT: Whitworth
LG: FA or Draft
C: Corbett
RG: Edwards
RT: Havenstein

But Warford is a career RG, so if we sign him, Edwards stays at LG. Put together that sort of OL, and we'll not only be stout on the interior but we'll be able to run the ball on almost anybody.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I can't believe there are people telling us how good the Rams oline is. It's like they never watched the Rams play this season. Any 3rd and long was no chance of completion. As in there was a free rusher every single time.

I couldn't give a fuck how good they were on other downs. 3rd down is the money down in the nfl and the oline failed every single occasion. To the point where Mcvay called those Fucking irritating wr screens that had zero chance of success.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If you would choose Goff over McVay then you're fucking nuts. It's not even close to me how much more I'd prefer McVay. And McVay isn't looking for a scapegoat at all. He's just not pulling his punches anymore with the media when it comes to Goff. And that's how this entire damn thread started, with two consecutive days of McVay not committing to Goff next year. Being #1 in turnovers over a 2 year span deserves a shit load of criticism. If you cant understand that then your so blind in your defense of Goff you cant see what's been happening the last two years. Blame the OL all you want, he still shouldn't be turning the ball over like a madman.

For reference.. below is how LaFluer answered a question today about Rodgers being his QB next season. It wouldn't have been hard for McVay to say something along these lines regarding Goff. At least commenting on his leadership or something. McVay chooses his words very wisely.

View: https://twitter.com/ByRyanWood/status/1353497009185984512?s=20

Never said that so not sure why you would put those words in my mouth.

Just said we may have a frustrated coach looking elsewhere for blame and that he needs to accept some of that blame.

He's a great coach... That doesn't mean he is perfect.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Think we try for Linsley?

I doubt it. He's about to turn 30, will command big money (we don't have), and will cost us a premier comp pick. I think we look for a guy who either doesn't factor into the comp pick formula (ex. Larry Warford) or a guy who is a mid-tier FA (ex. Jon Feliciano) if we go the FA route.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
IMO, Corbett or Feliciano is the answer there. Both are much stouter than Blythe. I don't see McVay starting a rookie. Thus, we need to find ourselves a quality OG (if Corbett slides inside). I think what makes sense to me is:
LT: Whitworth
LG: FA or Draft
C: Corbett
RG: Edwards
RT: Havenstein

But Warford is a career RG, so if we sign him, Edwards stays at LG. Put together that sort of OL, and we'll not only be stout on the interior but we'll be able to run the ball on almost anybody.
I've got my fingers crossed that the Rams can make this work. I definitely like the idea of getting Feliciano

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Problem is that Goff's warts make everything you stated even worse.
Well, would like to see him behind that line with those skill players.

And I am not saying he is as good as Brady, but I find it interesting when the best of the best, turn it over three times when they have those advantages that I mentioned.

It's a team game. Aaron Rodgers just showed us that once again. For some reason every loss is Goff's fault and every win is achieved without any help from Goff.

It's kind of amazing.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Never said that so not sure why you would put those words in my mouth.

Just said we may have a frustrated coach looking elsewhere for blame and that he needs to accept some of that blame.

He's a great coach... That doesn't mean he is perfect.

Dude you literally just said McVay is looking for a scapegoat. How is Goff being #1 in the NFL in turnovers for two consecutive years..and McVay calling Goff out to the media looking for a scapegoat? Its either McVay trying to light a fire under Goff for this offseason, or him seriously contemplating if the future of this offense can work with Goff.

No ones opinion on this board even matters. What matters is what McVay thinks. Thats why this thread was started, because of what McVay said to the media, and how he CHOSE not to clarify things the following day when asked about it. Why would McVay choose to say those things? Its pretty simple to me given Goff's play the last 2 years.

Does that mean Goff is gone? No it doesn't. But it absolutely, 100% means McVay is not happy with his play.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As someone who enjoyed speculating about Watson... there's ZERO chance Rodgers leaves the Packers.

ZERO.

Rodgers is gonna be a Packer or he's gonna retire. I can not imagine Rodgers asking for a trade... he had one of if not his best seasons...

Rodgers leaving would literally be world wide news... I don't think they'd allow that trade in Madden...

Whatever the packers are doing isn't working. Since winning the superbowl their playoff record is bad. They look bad in the playoffs. Maybe they need a change to get over the hump.