Still no respect for Goff ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok, all things considered, what separates Rodgers from Tannehill? Arm talent and ability to make off schedule plays? Consistency? I think much can be said about Aaron Rodgers being consistent enough that his team isn't down in the 4th nearly as much as Tannehills teams.
Ok, that said, what separates Brady, Rodgers, Brees from everyone else? Either Arm talent or Vision or consistency or off schedule i.e. make something from nothing when a play breaks down. Perhaps consistency with all of the above is the true separator? That can be debated endlessly. What Goff does have in common is arm talent, everything else remains to be proven. Don't get me twisted, I absolutely trust and believe in my heart that Goff is on his way. He is my QB. I just caution against placing an "elite" tag on someone who truly, honestly, hasn't proven it yet. That is all.
Who said Goff is elite?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
No worries most of the media doesn't want to admit being wrong on Goff. Lets just keep winning games and get to the playoffs and beyond.

Some people just can't admit it, even with mountains of evidence against them.

I remember after Muhammad Ali knocked out George Foreman to become only the second man to ever regain the heavyweight championship, and there were still some knuckleheads out there saying he wasn't a great fighter ... same knuckleheads that said Foreman would destroy him.

Don't worry about it ... just enjoy Jared winning and making an ass out of them.

RamsFan47

Rookie
The best thing that happened to Jared Goff was Sean McVay.
Hell, the best thing that happened to me is Sean McVay..

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don

I like Jared he just seems like a calm guy. on the sideline, in the huddle, on the field he is within himself.
As far as him missing a lot of passes I agree he has, he was better this week than last and seems to be a great QB for our system. As far as throwing players open and trusting his receivers and his ability he is pretty darn impressive. I have been to a lot of games and yesterday he was slingin the rock into tight windows. I was wowed on more than one occasion. I will say though I don't remember a drop, The boys were catching everything. Cooks high points a ball like no other. So yeah he missed some throws.....easy ones and I was bummed but they all do and no reason to get greedy or be spoiled. sit back and enjoy the ride, this should be a great season

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
yep, he's doing just enough to win easily. when required he will be utilising more throws into the endzone.

Average margin of victory is "only" 27. Obviously he needs to be doing more.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
Who said Goff is elite?

Oh you know, it wasn't exactly said, more inferred. Maybe you should take the time to read the posts in order to gain a sense of context.

I know right? Everyone acts like these other Elite QB's never miss a throw or get a ball batted down. He literally got one ball batted down, and took a bad sack. The INT was on Goff but also a good play by Peterson.

Our offense scored 33 yesterday. Give it a rest peeps.

I don't take Goff's first year with Fisher into account, AT ALL.

I just see that Goff has room to improve. The elite/not elite talk has always just been opinion. Maybe I'm misunderstanding some people in this thread, but when I came into it it seems like some people are saying Goff is a top 5 QB in their opinion - which is insane IMO - hence my posts.

I like the guy and I think he can get to that level. Glad he's our QB. It's okay to "just" be a good player early on in your career.

JackKirbyFan

Rookie
The best thing that happened to Jared Goff was Sean McVay.
Hell, the best thing that happened to me is Sean McVay..

Now that's a good one (LOL) Mind if I text my fellow Ram fans in the SFV, Lancaster and Ventura Country and use it.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Well I counted four deep "misses" against the Raiders. Two were underthrows to Cooks that resulted in PIs. From my watching experience, I'd say most long receptions in the NFL are underthrown a bit, with the receiver making the adjustment. Another one went off Woods' fingertips. Yesterday he missed him again when he was wide open, yes, but come on man, he made some pretty nice throws. The batted pass at the goal line and the pick were both nice plays by the D. (They also get paid.)

How bout what he did do well? 11+ YPA, 75% completion percentage, spreading the ball around, elusiveness in the pocket. In two games, he's 2-0 with 9+ YPA after 0 preseason snaps, all before his 24th birthday. And against pressure he's already shown the strength to break out of a D-lineman's grasp, the toughness to deliver when he's about to get blasted, and the durability to get right back up and keep throwing.

Mahomes looks awesome too. I begrudge him none of the attention he's getting. But Goff is just gonna keep leading his team, moving the ball, winning games. I'm anointing him. You really think the Seahawks fans were wrong about Wilson? Like him or not (and I don't), he led the league in touchdown passes last year and finished second among QB in rushing yards. Sometimes fans know the guys on their team better than the national media does.
Who are you? And where have you been?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Truly shocking! A 23 year old QB can improve on things that 10 year vets and former MVPs mess up. Goff has been very good and improving consistently. The improvement is there on your v weekly I’d suggest enjoying it. As with every good QBs there will be bad plays and games, that won’t change the fact the kid and yes he’s a kid is good and getting better.
In not just being a homer here. Some if the throws he made this week were sick. Receivers with DBs all over them. Goff makes the throw to a well covered receiver and hits the only spot the db cant get it. Hats off to Cooks, Woods and Kupp as well, but wow!

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff is going to have to win superbowls and multiple MVPs to get the media to buzz about him .. the narrative was set in his rookie yeah ..JARED GOFF IS A BUST !! .. go back on YouTube and see what some "experts" were saying about him

to Continue that narrative .. all Goffs success is because of Mcvay/ the system / the players around him thats why i personally stick up for him every damn opportunity i get because if we dont..no one will

mahomes is the next media darling as soon as NFL DC,s get some tape on him lets see is he carries on ...doesnt hurt to have the firebug that Hill (he makes fast look slow) oh but wait that only matters if your name is Jared Goff

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Media is all over Mahomes jock now. I saw on NFL Network last night - look at this, Mahomes throws a pass at it travels 62 yards in the air, longest in the NFL since the start of last season!

Interesting, considering Goff's pass to Cooks yesterday traveled 65 yards in the air ....

The Media is the media and they will always have their darlings, I really couldn't care - let Goff fly under the radar. I doubt Defensive coordinators around the league underestimate him.

While I would agree Goff still has not gotten the respect he deserves from the media just yet (with exception of Shrager and those guys-they love us!), what Mahomes has accomplished this far is pretty amazing! 3 games as a pro under his belt and he is lighting the league on fire! 6 TDs cmon!! Goes to show how wel a qb can do in a system that caters to their skill.

I have to be honest I'm enjoying watching Mahomes play - I didn't rate him during the draft, he's proved me wrong.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
How many times did the offense convert on 3rd, 4th and 2 point conversions?

No, I know why and that's the point ... if I noticed it, then so did every DC in the league. So how does anyone get upset at a call and subsequent interception that sees the Cardinals pinned deep in their own end and punting?

Also, I can't be the only one who commented on how well Goff protected the ball when he was sacked, can I? No interceptions of fumbles while trying to do too much.

This team is playing for each other and I love it. Kind of my only worry heading into this season and it has been quashed.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
*I* said Goff is a top 5 QB and I meant it.

Pattern guy. I called our ‘16 season for what it would be in the preseason and said that McVay could take our team to the playoffs last year when folks were thinking we’d be lucky to go 9-7.

I’m not asking anyone. I’m TELLING anyone who will listen that Goff is a top 5 QB.

I base that on how he plays the position and factor in both quantifiables as well as intangibles. I need to sleep, but if I really need to walk people through this I will.

It’s all in the patterns.

And no, that doesn’t create a linear correlation to winning Super Bowls. We know this because Dan Marino doesn’t have a ring, but guys like Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco and Jim McMahon do.

Goff does so many little things so effortlessly, you wouldn’t notice unless you really look.

Also, no QB is going to put up gaudy numbers in this offense because a) we have an all-world back in Gurley and b) McVay is more focused on consistency and getting the win than getting guys stats. The patterns evident in McVay’s playcalling don’t lend themselves to the QB having monster games, typically, but rather a balanced attack.

There’s no reason to retreat from a reasonable assertion when there’s so much evidence out there to support it.

Goff is a top 5 QB.

It’s all in the patterns.

My son got his autism from somewhere...

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here you go buddy! You dont have to be a Goff fan I get it, but what would of made ya happy? 400-500 yards,a few more tds? There's always going to be plays left on the field and are we blaming Goff for not having to win the game?

check out this video clip:
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/the-aftermath/0ap3000000963536/Jeremiah-shows-how-Mahomes-almost-had-eight-TDs

I am a Goff fan.

And I'm not saying that I'm not happy - I was very happy with Jared's overall performance. For what I expect out of him this year, so far he's doing great. Me pointing out his mistakes was more to highlight why he's not a top 5 QB YET, in my opinion. There are even some more that I left out.

I think maybe this board has some PTSD from the Bradford situation and then to a lesser extent, Keenum the first year back in LA.

I am not saying that I don't like Goff. I am not saying that he's not a good player - he is. He's a probowl caliber QB.

Maybe I should have started off with this: QBs are similar to max contracts in the NBA - if you have the absolute best - a superstar, elite, whatever you want to call it - you're getting a really good deal.

But the deathblow for NFL franchises - in terms of super bowl chances - is the above average/franchise caliber QB. Because this QB ends up being paid extremely high - i.e. a max contract for an NBA player that is just an all star - in both the NBA and NFL teams end up being somewhat forced into paying these guys. And once they do, often times they never sniff a super bowl.

Stafford/Ryan/Wilson/Carr/Eli/Garrapolo/Tannehil/Flacco/Cousins/Cam - Goff is better than a lot of these guys and worse than some - but one thing they all have in common: they are being paid around what Rodgers/Brees/Brady are being paid. Think about that for a minute...

So I really want Goff to develop into that top 5/elite - whatever you want to call it - QB group. Based on the way he played last year, his agent is already drawing up a contract that just adds $ to it every time a QB gets paid. Whenever we re-sign Jared - he will be the highest paid QB in the NFL. So IMO he needs to be at the very least a top 5 QB for the Rams to stay successful - and I am a Rams fan first and foremost. Not one of those QBs above have won a super bowl with their inflated contracts. Eli comes closest.

Apologies if I came off as if I have some kind of issue with Goff - I promise I don't. I am very happy he's the QB of the Rams. I overreacted and came off as a detractor and that was not my intent. I just see some things that I want to see him get better with and wanted to discuss them - but again, I didn't do a good job of communicating, so I apologize.

Tano

Legend
I am a Goff fan.

And I'm not saying that I'm not happy - I was very happy with Jared's overall performance. For what I expect out of him this year, so far he's doing great. Me pointing out his mistakes was more to highlight why he's not a top 5 QB YET, in my opinion. There are even some more that I left out.

I think maybe this board has some PTSD from the Bradford situation and then to a lesser extent, Keenum the first year back in LA.

I am not saying that I don't like Goff. I am not saying that he's not a good player - he is. He's a probowl caliber QB.

Maybe I should have started off with this: QBs are similar to max contracts in the NBA - if you have the absolute best - a superstar, elite, whatever you want to call it - you're getting a really good deal.

But the deathblow for NFL franchises - in terms of super bowl chances - is the above average/franchise caliber QB. Because this QB ends up being paid extremely high - i.e. a max contract for an NBA player that is just an all star - in both the NBA and NFL teams end up being somewhat forced into paying these guys. And once they do, often times they never sniff a super bowl.

Stafford/Ryan/Wilson/Carr/Eli/Garrapolo/Tannehil/Flacco/Cousins/Cam - Goff is better than a lot of these guys and worse than some - but one thing they all have in common: they are being paid around what Rodgers/Brees/Brady are being paid. Think about that for a minute...

So I really want Goff to develop into that top 5/elite - whatever you want to call it - QB group. Based on the way he played last year, his agent is already drawing up a contract that just adds $ to it every time a QB gets paid. Whenever we re-sign Jared - he will be the highest paid QB in the NFL. So IMO he needs to be at the very least a top 5 QB for the Rams to stay successful - and I am a Rams fan first and foremost. Not one of those QBs above have won a super bowl with their inflated contracts. Eli comes closest.

Apologies if I came off as if I have some kind of issue with Goff - I promise I don't. I am very happy he's the QB of the Rams. I overreacted and came off as a detractor and that was not my intent. I just see some things that I want to see him get better with and wanted to discuss them - but again, I didn't do a good job of communicating, so I apologize.
For awhile there, I thought you were LAChamp under a different account name.

JackStraw

Rookie
Who said Goff is elite?

:whistle:'Estimated Passer':whistle:
A tribute to the young and powerful McVay and His offense, basically the song Estimated Prophet by the Grateful Dead, with my own twist of words...

'His time coming, any day don't worry about him now
Been so much time , been waiting for him now
And I'm in no hurry now
No,no we're in no hurry now

California! Torching up Cali's Southern Coast!
California, keep knocking on the record door
Like an angel, standing in the pocket of light
Rising up to paradise, we know we're gonna SHINE!

We the fans will follow them and we will ride with to glory - way up until a Super Bowl!

Some have been asleep,their choice is to refuse to believe me
My voices tellin' them, you won't soon defeat them
Standin' next to Todd, the sea will part before him

Fire and streaks thrown into the air!
Caught way down the field,first and goal and Greg!

McVay's special calls ,it will never cease to amaze me
And Rams will dominate, their division can't contain them

And might glory lead them through,as everyone gets paid
And other men,they're gonna study our ways....

Done done done, done done done da done
Done done done, done done done da done
Done done, done done

G C
G F C

Actual Lyrics and song (version is a smoker!)

Estimated Prophet

Grateful Dead
My time coming, anyday, don't worry about me, no
Been so long I felt this way, I'm in no hurry, no
Rainbows and down that highway where ocean breezes blow
My time coming, voices saying they tell me where to go.

Don't worry about me, nah nah nah, don't worry about me, no
And I'm in no hurry, nah nah nah, I know where to go.

California, preaching on the burning shore
California, I'll be knocking on the golden door
Like an angel, standing in a shaft of light
Rising up to paradise, I know I'm gonna shine.

My time coming, any day, don't worry about me, no
It's gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so
Seems so long I felt this way and time sure passin' slow
Still I know I lead the way, they tell me where I go.

Don't worry about me, no no no, don't worry about me, no
And I'm in no hurry, no no no, I know where to go.

California, a prophet on the burning shore
California, I'll be knocking on the golden door
Like an angel, standing in a shaft of light
Rising up to paradise, I know I'm gonna shine.

You've all been asleep, you would not believe me
Them voices tellin' me, you will soon receive me
Standin' on the beach, the sea will part before me
Fire wheel burning in the air!

You will follow me and we will ride to glory, way up, the middle of
The air!

And I'll call down thunder and speak the same and my work fills the
Sky with flame
And might and glory gonna be my name and men gonna light my way.

It's gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so
Seems so long I felt this way and time sure passin' slow

Don't worry about me, no no no, don't worry about me, no
And I'm in no hurry, no no no, don't worry about me, no.

Songwriters: JOHN BARLOW,ROBERT HALL WEIR

I hope someone enjoyed reading it my twist or just enjoyed tune!
Lyrics are never this honest.....