Still no respect for Goff ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looking forward to the

The hype train for the week 11 MNF matchup in Mexico City will be HUGE.

Yeah, but when the Rams win it'll be because it's in Mexico City, not because the Rams are better, and certainly not because of Goff being good.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Rams fans are doing the opposite of the media - and the truth lies in between.

Goff missed COUNTLESS open deep throws against the Raiders.

He missed a WIDE OPEN Robert Woods yesterday - a throw that some of us could have hit because of how open he was.

He allowed a ball to be batted down to a WIDE OPEN Brandin Cooks.

And still when faced with pressure more often than not, the play is dead (although he did make a few nice throws under pressure yesterday).

Goff has had the opportunity to throw for 10 TDs or so in these two games - he didn't. Mahomes did. As of right now, Goff hasn't played anywhere close to a top QB IMO. Is it safe to think that he will improve? I think so. But our schedule is going to be very difficult - that's Goff's chance. So far we haven't really needed him to win a game. But we will. I like Goff but we as a fan base have tried to anoint him too quickly, much like the Seahawks fan base did with Wilson.
Do you watch the completions too, or is it only the in-completions you pay attention too.
Goff had made some spectacular throws in tight coverage. It's a shame you've missed them

He missed a WIDE OPEN Robert Woods yesterday - a throw that some of us could have hit because of how open he was.

And still when faced with pressure more often than not, the play is dead (although he did make a few nice throws under pressure yesterday).

Goff has had the opportunity to throw for 10 TDs or so in these two games - he didn't. Mahomes did. As of right now, Goff hasn't played anywhere close to a top QB IMO. Is it safe to think that he will improve? I think so. But our schedule is going to be very difficult - that's Goff's chance. So far we haven't really needed him to win a game. But we will. I like Goff but we as a fan base have tried to anoint him too quickly, much like the Seahawks fan base did with Wilson.
Well I counted four deep "misses" against the Raiders. Two were underthrows to Cooks that resulted in PIs. From my watching experience, I'd say most long receptions in the NFL are underthrown a bit, with the receiver making the adjustment. Another one went off Woods' fingertips. Yesterday he missed him again when he was wide open, yes, but come on man, he made some pretty nice throws. The batted pass at the goal line and the pick were both nice plays by the D. (They also get paid.)

How bout what he did do well? 11+ YPA, 75% completion percentage, spreading the ball around, elusiveness in the pocket. In two games, he's 2-0 with 9+ YPA after 0 preseason snaps, all before his 24th birthday. And against pressure he's already shown the strength to break out of a D-lineman's grasp, the toughness to deliver when he's about to get blasted, and the durability to get right back up and keep throwing.

Mahomes looks awesome too. I begrudge him none of the attention he's getting. But Goff is just gonna keep leading his team, moving the ball, winning games. I'm anointing him. You really think the Seahawks fans were wrong about Wilson? Like him or not (and I don't), he led the league in touchdown passes last year and finished second among QB in rushing yards. Sometimes fans know the guys on their team better than the national media does.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Yeah... I’ve seen all of the top QBs miss similar passes to what Goff missed. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely. But I also see a few things he does that few QBs can. His ability to make slight adjustments in the pocket are pretty uncanny. And there was a throw he made yesterday that I would say VERY few QBs can make on their best day. Under extreme pressure, he not only changes the angle of release but does it with almost no load up and delivers a dime to (I believe it was) Cooks over the middle.

I know you said you believe he will improve so I’m not bagging on your take but I’m thinking at 23 with a little over a year in this system, he has a very good chance to be elite and lead this team to a championship.

What I don’t follow is your notion that he “hasn’t played anywhere close to a top QB”. A little hyperbole there maybe? He absolutely has even with the misses. He also makes far fewer costly mistakes than most QBs in the league including several considered elite and it’s not through being a simple game manager.

Anyway, time will tell and he will be tested in several games this season. Right now I see improvement and a QB doing some pretty great things.

Cydekikk

UDFA
Goff was pretty sharp yesterday. Difference between that game and game one was profound. Still has stuff to work on, yeah, he's a young QB. Could have had a couple INTs, took an unnecessary sack, etc. But he was the reason the Cards couldn't get off the field for the most part.

He had a strong season statistically last year but wasn't ready to carry the offense in the playoffs. I think this year he will be ready to do that when whoever we face in the playoffs tries to sell out to stop Gurley.

From your lips to the football gods ears...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

I agree with some of your Goff critiques MINUS the hyperbole. I commented in the game thread on the INT, "When Goff starts making that play he'll be a great QB."

Improvising isn't a strength yet for Goff from what i've seen. More times than not there's no need to improvise because the protection is good, the WR's are running quality routes and the play designs are being executed. I agree that there will be times where the play is going to break down and he's going to have to escape the pocket and make a clutch instinctual play vs an elite defense. I see no reason to claim he hasn't played anywhere near a top QB though. IMO that's a ridiculous comment at this point.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Who cares at this point. The media is full of garbage reporters and garbage producers. They all talk about the same thing all day everyday. I miss our boys back in STL talking Rams football.

I'd give anything for some REAL sports talk about the Rams
That would presuppose that talking heads actually watch the Rams' games-- not happening except for a handful of really analysts/journalists who care about getting it right.

Ellard80

Legend
Goff has missed a few.. but played no pre-season.

I thought he was money yesterday.. outside of 1 or 2 plays.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Sorry, I disagree. The offense scored 34 points with Goff at qb. Goff made some throws which only an elite qb can make (as Mark Schlereth correctly pointed out in commentary.) He had a couple batted down-- sorry, the other team sometimes makes plays-- and threw at least a couple away. Hit Cooks on a 57 yard deep ball, showing improvement in timing over week 1 which followed no pre season play for the starting O.

Seems pretty clear that he is running the offense at a high level. I have to wonder which NFL qb would be better in this system? Not so sure there is one.

But he will get better.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah... I’ve seen all of the top QBs miss similar passes to what Goff missed. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely. But I also see a few things he does that few QBs can. His ability to make slight adjustments in the pocket are pretty uncanny. And there was a throw he made yesterday that I would say VERY few QBs can make on their best day. Under extreme pressure, he not only changes the angle of release but does it with almost no load up and delivers a dime to (I believe it was) Cooks over the middle.

I know you said you believe he will improve so I’m not bagging on your take but I’m thinking at 23 with a little over a year in this system, he has a very good chance to be elite and lead this team to a championship.

What I don’t follow is your notion that he “hasn’t played anywhere close to a top QB”. A little hyperbole there maybe? He absolutely has even with the misses. He also makes far fewer costly mistakes than most QBs in the league including several considered elite and it’s not through being a simple game manager.

Anyway, time will tell and he will be tested in several games this season. Right now I see improvement and a QB doing some pretty great things.

I don't think it's hyperbole at all. Goff has the best all around team of any QB in the NFL - it's not a stretch to think that most starting caliber QBs in the league could have us at 2-0 right now. There's only one team in the NFL that might have better offensive weapons than us, and that's the Chiefs - but the difference in defenses (not to mention special teams) is drastic.

I like Goff - he's a good player. But that's pretty much where he is for now - he's not a top 10 QB yet. For some reason a lot of Rams fans seem to want to put him there - he's not. And there's nothing wrong with that. He made some good throws yesterday - need to see him do that more often.

This is exactly what Seahawk fans did with Wilson and we (or at least I) hated it. So I'm not going to be a hypocrite. They said Wilson was elite well before he was.

He played well yesterday, and I do believe that he will continue to improve. I just don't understand why Rams fans want to put him on a level that he hasn't earned yet. We'll find out the next few games.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
You act like elite QBs never miss plays or opportunities to score and they're always perfect. His missed TD was a snafu no doubt, but it was a mental thing, not a talent thing. Batted balls? happens all the time.

I know right? Everyone acts like these other Elite QB's never miss a throw or get a ball batted down. He literally got one ball batted down, and took a bad sack. The INT was on Goff but also a good play by Peterson.

Our offense scored 33 yesterday. Give it a rest peeps.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with some of your Goff critiques MINUS the hyperbole. I commented in the game thread on the INT, "When Goff starts making that play he'll be a great QB."

Improvising isn't a strength yet for Goff from what i've seen. More times than not there's no need to improvise because the protection is good, the WR's are running quality routes and the play designs are being executed. I agree that there will be times where the play is going to break down and he's going to have to escape the pocket and make a clutch instinctual play vs an elite defense. I see no reason to claim he hasn't played anywhere near a top QB though. IMO that's a ridiculous comment at this point.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "top" - I'm thinking of it synonymous with "elite" - in which case that's a ridiculous notion IMO. Brady/Brees/Rodgers are the standard and Goff just isn't there yet - and that's okay.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well I counted four deep "misses" against the Raiders. Two were underthrows to Cooks that resulted in PIs. From my watching experience, I'd say most long receptions in the NFL are underthrown a bit, with the receiver making the adjustment. Another one went off Woods' fingertips. Yesterday he missed him again when he was wide open, yes, but come on man, he made some pretty nice throws. The batted pass at the goal line and the pick were both nice plays by the D. (They also get paid.)

How bout what he did do well? 11+ YPA, 75% completion percentage, spreading the ball around, elusiveness in the pocket. In two games, he's 2-0 with 9+ YPA after 0 preseason snaps, all before his 24th birthday. And against pressure he's already shown the strength to break out of a D-lineman's grasp, the toughness to deliver when he's about to get blasted, and the durability to get right back up and keep throwing.

Mahomes looks awesome too. I begrudge him none of the attention he's getting. But Goff is just gonna keep leading his team, moving the ball, winning games. I'm anointing him. You really think the Seahawks fans were wrong about Wilson? Like him or not (and I don't), he led the league in touchdown passes last year and finished second among QB in rushing yards. Sometimes fans know the guys on their team better than the national media does.

I agree with everything you said, but I do think Seahawks fans are wrong about Wilson. He's still not elite IMO. Can't put him with Brady/Rodgers/Brees.

Goff has done a lot well - he's a good QB and has a bright future. I'm glad he's our QB.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff was pretty sharp yesterday. Difference between that game and game one was profound. Still has stuff to work on, yeah, he's a young QB. Could have had a couple INTs, took an unnecessary sack, etc. But he was the reason the Cards couldn't get off the field for the most part.

He had a strong season statistically last year but wasn't ready to carry the offense in the playoffs. I think this year he will be ready to do that when whoever we face in the playoffs tries to sell out to stop Gurley.

I agree with this and hope this is the case.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I suppose it depends on your definition of "top" - I'm thinking of it synonymous with "elite" - in which case that's a ridiculous notion IMO. Brady/Brees/Rodgers are the standard and Goff just isn't there yet - and that's okay.
Ah, yes... the ESPN made-up terms again... "Elite QB".

Someone care to define it in detail? (sure as hell, ESPN can't).

Once it gets defined, apply it to the first 18 games for all three of these men? (I refuse to allow Fisher's incompetence to dirty Goff's stats).

Or, does it take a defined number of years performing at the prescribed levels to become "elite"?

And while we're on vague, made-up ESPN terms... must a "franchise QB" be "Elite"? ;)

Silliness...

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ah, yes... the ESPN made-up terms again... "Elite QB".

Someone care to define it in detail? (sure as hell, ESPN can't).

Once it gets defined, apply it to the first 18 games for all three of these men? (I refuse to allow Fisher's incompetence to dirty Goff's stats).

Of, does it take a defined number of years performing at the prescribed levels to become "elite"?

Of, and while we're on vague, made-up ESPN terms... must a "franchise QB" be "Elite"? ;)

Silliness...

I don't take Goff's first year with Fisher into account, AT ALL.

I just see that Goff has room to improve. The elite/not elite talk has always just been opinion. Maybe I'm misunderstanding some people in this thread, but when I came into it it seems like some people are saying Goff is a top 5 QB in their opinion - which is insane IMO - hence my posts.

I like the guy and I think he can get to that level. Glad he's our QB. It's okay to "just" be a good player early on in your career.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
he's not a top 10 QB yet
Please... if we're going to use these vague terms, can we get a definition?

Is it QB rating?
Is it QBR?
Is it completion percentage?
Is it yards?

What is is that make a QB "top 10"?

Sorry for the rant... pet peeve of mine (these terms that have no definitions).

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Truly shocking! A 23 year old QB can improve on things that 10 year vets and former MVPs mess up. Goff has been very good and improving consistently. The improvement is there on your v weekly I’d suggest enjoying it. As with every good QBs there will be bad plays and games, that won’t change the fact the kid and yes he’s a kid is good and getting better.