Still no respect for Goff ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
No surprise, Mahomes and Wentz's playstyle is flashy to the casual viewers and the media will sensationalize about it being the greatest aspects of a QB ('member RG3 and the read option??)

I don't mind Goff being discredited, Brady was at some point in his career for being a system QB and look where he is now.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Please... if we're going to use these vague terms, can we get a definition?

Is it QB rating?
Is it QBR?
Is it completion percentage?
Is it yards?

What is is that make a QB "top 10"?

Sorry for the rant... pet peeve of mine (these terms that have no definitions).

Just my opinion. A little bit of all of it. I hated QBR before last year, but I noticed that Jared's passer rating seemed a little bit better than what his play looked like to me personally. Then I saw his QBR said he was below average and I was shocked to see that. I still hate QBR and I think the reality of his play last year is between his low QBR and his high passer rating.

It's all of that but I also take into account when we play better defenses - offense didn't fair well last year against good defenses as a whole.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm misunderstanding some people in this thread, but when I came into it it seems like some people are saying Goff is a top 5 QB in their opinion - which is insane IMO - hence my posts.
Yeah that's not the perception i'm seeing from this board, with a couple exceptions of course, and those opinions are coming from pure homerism and/or excitement...which is okay.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah that's not the perception i'm seeing from this board, with a couple exceptions of course, and those opinions are coming from pure homerism and/or excitement...which is okay.

My mistake then.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't take Goff's first year with Fisher into account, AT ALL.
That seems like the only reasonable thing to do.

I just see that Goff has room to improve.
Of course he does... so do the "Elites"... Brady/Brees/Rodgers... they all make mistakes. Heck, Brady didn't play very well yesterday and he failed to win the last Super Bowl. Which brings me to...

The elite/not elite talk has always just been opinion.
So, is Brady really all that "Elite"? What about Brees? Heck, his team went 7-9 for three years. Is that "Elite"?
Rodgers hasn't even gotten to the Super Bowl in 8 years! He's "Elite"? Are those even a good criteria for "Elite"? Super Bowl wins?

Yeah, it's just opinions... and you know what they say about opinions? ;)

Rams are 2-0 and Goff has had a lot to do with that. When the numbers come out tomorrow, I think you'll find him near the top in most categories. Certainly "top 10"... maybe even "top 5". And, want to consider another crazy notion? He might be ahead of any of those three "Elite" ESPN QBs.

some people are saying Goff is a top 5 QB in their opinion - which is insane IMO
If some fans think he is "top 5", their opinion is "insane" but your opinion is based on? ESPN? Still waiting for some clue as to how to classify these "top 5" or "top 10" QBs.

Like I said above.. .don't be too shocked if he ends up in the "top 5" after all the games this week... I'd put money that he'll be "top 10".

Last edited:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just my opinion. A little bit of all of it. I hated QBR before last year, but I noticed that Jared's passer rating seemed a little bit better than what his play looked like to me personally. Then I saw his QBR said he was below average and I was shocked to see that. I still hate QBR and I think the reality of his play last year is between his low QBR and his high passer rating.

It's all of that but I also take into account when we play better defenses - offense didn't fair well last year against good defenses as a whole.
Well... you know what I take into account?

2-0

That, my friend, is "Elite"

And no, I don't care who they beat.

Ram65

Legend
I'm not concerned what the media thinks about Goff or the Rams.

Mahomes is the hot guy right now. He has put up amazing numbers. It's still only a couple of games.

Goff is doing good. He made some amazing throws yesterday. He had a couple he would like back. Most Qbs do every week. Sometimes he makes it look easy. Could be he makes it look too easy. We have too see where Jared goes from here. It's going to be in the big games that will tell just how good Jared Goff is. Stay tuned.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Goff is Joe cool back there. He doesn't make the eye popping athletic play the powers that be over on BSPN fall for.

All he is is a gunslinger folks. He throws balls downfield and is a true pocket passer. He also is deceptive with his pocket movements.

He is emulating his hero, Joe Montana. The difference right now is that Montana in his prime seemed to have eyes in the back of his helmet as far as sensing when he was about to get sacked. Goff doesn't. Don't know if that can be taught or learned.

KayJay

Starter
Big Ben and Stafford throw turnovers and dig holes for their team one week, they are elite and having a bad game. Goff misses a few throws and a few Rams fans lose their minds. Lol this isn't about Goff, this is about the fact people are still conditioned to believe he's a bust. That's fine, I don't give a flying f*ck about your passive aggressiveness towards a guy who's constantly improving. He's our quarterback, and it isn't going to change.

Regarding Patrick, lay off the man. He's done something amazing, and I'm not going to compare our guy to a guy that no one has any tape on yet. Leave it be my guys. Goff isn't going to get the respect he deserves until he wins something or is close to winning something. Don't let that bother you, I enjoy every waking minute that they said this guy can't play. Lol and now he's eating up yardage throwing intermediate passes. Are you aware at how many quarterbacks can't throw intermediate passes? Its a pretty big list. Lol when our running game struggled, he got us down the field and put us in range to score. 3rd and 9? No problem, let me throw a 15 yard pass completion instead. Woods open for 5 yards? Lolol pfft, check this out I'm going to cooks for 23 yards.

Goff may under throw passes, he may over throw passes. But god damn it, he's my quarterback. Not a god damn game manager, but a f*cking quarterback. And as long as we have the top offense in the league, the last thing I'm going to do is complain about a bunch of hypothetical's. Mistakes happen, and they happen with everyone. They are just magnified because you're only watching the Rams play week to week. I catch a glimpse of everybody. And I can't tell you how many head scratching decisions I've seen Matthew Stafford make in the last two weeks.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Joe Montana and Steve Young flourished in the system that their coach brought to the NFL. But, they were always given credit for being great QBs.

We see Case Keemun play poorly in lousy schemes. He played great in Minnesota but he is regarded as JAG.

If McVay drafted Goff and he instantly played well then Jared would get the praise. But that one year under Fisher with no good support staff or a good scheme, and Goff is JAG. It’s all about the scheme to the media dopes.

Media logic is not well thought out and it displays how many of them are just good talkers and not good thinkers.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
He is emulating his hero, Joe Montana. The difference right now is that Montana in his prime seemed to have eyes in the back of his helmet as far as sensing when he was about to get sacked. Goff doesn't. Don't know if that can be taught or learned.

Yeah, he's been sacked 1.5 per game.

He's avoided several.

Maybe he has eyes even though he's not in his prime yet!

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Yeah, but when the Rams win it'll be because it's in Mexico City, not because the Rams are better, and certainly not because of Goff being good.

No.

It will be because the Rams D will sack Mahomes about 4 times and pick him off at least twice.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No.

It will be because the Rams D will sack Mahomes about 4 times and pick him off at least twice.

I was talking about media excuses, the topic of this thread. When the Rams win if the media stays true to form it will be because of the altitude or distractions, not something that makes the Rams look good, or especially that makes Goff look good.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, there will definitely be enough tape on him by then.

And, the Rams defense... which is still rounding out their form, should be in machine-mode.

He's mobile... he'll need to be!

…..

Legend
Goff was top 10 in my fantasy league for points scored last year....

Does that count??

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
It's OK by me. Last year they were crowning the Chiefs & Alex Smith after the week one beating they laid on the Cheatriots. How'd that work out for them?

Let the Rams fly under the radar, it's all good.

View attachment 26230

giphy.gif

Joe Montana and Steve Young flourished in the system that their coach brought to the NFL. But, they were always given credit for being great QBs.

We see Case Keemun play poorly in lousy schemes. He played great in Minnesota but he is regarded as JAG.

If McVay drafted Goff and he instantly played well then Jared would get the praise. But that one year under Fisher with no good support staff or a good scheme, and Goff is JAG. It’s all about the scheme to the media dopes.

Media logic is not well thought out and it displays how many of them are just good talkers and not good thinkers.
The undervaluing of Goff goes back to high school (at least). A lot of people complained when he won the job his freshman year at Cal and then called him a system guy who couldn't win. They said the same stuff when he got drafted first overall, and again when he wasn't the immediate starter. Then when he had seven difficult starts, they crowed and gloated. Now, they barely mention him.

You know what I say? God bless 'em! Let the flashy guys who make playground throws get the headlines. Let McVay, or the receivers, or the D, or Gurley get all the credit for the Rams' success (which they also deserve of course). Our man doesn't need any of that. Because no matter what anyone says, teams still have to stop him. The Eagles, the Vikings, the Chiefs, they're all gonna have their shot at him and they're not gonna get any help from the opinions of analysts. There won't be any excuses to be had either, as I seem to recall all those teams doing pretty well last year without their current QBs.

Let's go.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
Ah, yes... the ESPN made-up terms again... "Elite QB".

Someone care to define it in detail? (sure as hell, ESPN can't).

Once it gets defined, apply it to the first 18 games for all three of these men? (I refuse to allow Fisher's incompetence to dirty Goff's stats).

Or, does it take a defined number of years performing at the prescribed levels to become "elite"?

And while we're on vague, made-up ESPN terms... must a "franchise QB" be "Elite"? ;)

Silliness...

To me, a truly elite QB is one who can always be counted on when the chips are down. 4th quarter, down 2.5 scores and regularly finds a way to notch a W. Listen, I absolutely LOVE Goff. But let's not kid ourselves into saying that Goff is there because he isn't...yet! Goff is a very good (top 12) QB who still hasn't realized his potential. That's ok, because he isn't even 24 yet. You have to prove yourself in this league. Even a couple 4th quarter comebacks doesn't prove anything. Once is a fluke, twice is a coincidence, three times Is a trend. Reserve your "ELITE (whatever that term means to you)" moniker for those who have earned it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Media is all over Mahomes jock now. I saw on NFL Network last night - look at this, Mahomes throws a pass at it travels 62 yards in the air, longest in the NFL since the start of last season!

He deserves the attention IMO. What he has done is spectacular.

But that's pretty much where he is for now - he's not a top 10 QB yet.

Name 9 that are "better". Once you get to 6- 7 it gets cloudy. And not based on what kind of a career they have had but how they played last year and two games into this year.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "top" - I'm thinking of it synonymous with "elite" - in which case that's a ridiculous notion IMO. Brady/Brees/Rodgers are the standard and Goff just isn't there yet - and that's okay.

It's hard to define I agree.

And yeah those three are the standard and Goff may never get to the level of those three. Let's examine what kind of "standard" they are.

Two of those three are in the discussion for best ever and rightfully so, and Brees is one of the most prolific QB's in history, soon to be the most prolific in several categories.

At the close of Week 5 he will probably be the leader for most career passing yards, next week he will be the all time leader in career passes completed. He needs 47 TD passes to take the career lead there, and by the end of his career may put enough distance between him and the rest of the world that we may not see those records broken for many years. Also he probably retire within the top 5 for QB rating. He has thrown for over 5,000 yards 5 times, Manning, Marino and Brady all did it once. Also Brees came within two yards of breaking Mannings single season record and came within 48 yards of throwing for a 6th 5000 yard season. The top 10 seasons for passing yardage 5 belong to Brees.

The standard right now with those three is historic. Not just "generational" or their "era", it's historic what these three have done.

Think about what this league had at one point. Brees, Brady, Rodgers and Manning. We couldn't name a group like that in any other time.

If Goff never reaches the heights of those three you mention it's not an issue with me.

QBR is such a nebulous stat I can't trust it, and I don't think any legit sports outlets use it. ESPN "invented" it and as far as I know they are the only ones who use it.

But god damn it, he's my quarterback.

You KNEW this was coming LOL. Just kidding around @KayJay haha

He's avoided several.

Not only has he escaped and done it nicely he almost always keeps his eyes down the field. That will mean that he will take some drag down sacks like this past Sunday but if we look at how many plays he has made versus sacks he's taken it's OK by me.