Still no respect for Goff ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
*I* said Goff is a top 5 QB and I meant it.

Pattern guy. I called our ‘16 season for what it would be in the preseason and said that McVay could take our team to the playoffs last year when folks were thinking we’d be lucky to go 9-7.

I’m not asking anyone. I’m TELLING anyone who will listen that Goff is a top 5 QB.

I base that on how he plays the position and factor in both quantifiables as well as intangibles. I need to sleep, but if I really need to walk people through this I will.

It’s all in the patterns.

And no, that doesn’t create a linear correlation to winning Super Bowls. We know this because Dan Marino doesn’t have a ring, but guys like Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco and Jim McMahon do.

Goff does so many little things so effortlessly, you wouldn’t notice unless you really look.

Also, no QB is going to put up gaudy numbers in this offense because a) we have an all-world back in Gurley and b) McVay is more focused on consistency and getting the win than getting guys stats. The patterns evident in McVay’s playcalling don’t lend themselves to the QB having monster games, typically, but rather a balanced attack.

There’s no reason to retreat from a reasonable assertion when there’s so much evidence out there to support it.

Goff is a top 5 QB.

It’s all in the patterns.

My son got his autism from somewhere...

So, can this not be a controversial take, anymore?

Goff is a top 5 QB. Not sure what anyone needs to see...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/...-los-angeles-rams-minnesota-vikings-system-qb

Jared Goff Looks More Like a Star Than a System QB
The Rams’ third-year signal-caller made some of the best throws of his young career in a win over the Vikings on Thursday—and could soon find himself in the MVP discussion
By Danny Heifetz

usa_today_11328696.0.jpg

USA TODAY Sports

Earlier this week, Jared Goff was asked how he felt about being labeled a system quarterback.

“I’ll be a product of the system if we win games,” Goff told ESPN. “We just continue to go out there and keep playing, keep putting up 30 points and call me whatever you want.”

After the Rams’ 38-31 victory over the Vikings on Thursday Night Football, we need to call Goff something else—perhaps a way-too-early MVP candidate. The third-year quarterback completed 26 of 33 passes for 465 yards, a franchise record-tying five touchdown passes (four of which came in the first half), no turnovers, and a perfect passer rating—against the no. 2 defense by DVOA in 2017.

Even that undersells his performance. Entering Thursday’s game, there had been 9,248 instances from a combined 491 quarterbacks that a player threw 33 or more passes in a game. Nobody had ever logged a 158.3 rating on that many attempts until Goff.

His third touchdown of the first half (what a phrase) might be the best throw of a nearly flawless game, and maybe even the best throw of his life. Goff faked a jet sweep to running back Todd Gurley to momentarily freeze the defense, rolled right while running away from defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, and then threaded the ball into a sliding 18-inch window to Cooper Kupp.

View: https://twitter.com/camdasilva/status/1045486015836819456?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1045486015836819456&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2018%2F9%2F28%2F17913044%2Fjared-goff-los-angeles-rams-minnesota-vikings-system-qb

On the next drive, Goff launched a 47-yard touchdown pass to Brandin Cooks that traveled 55 yards in the air at an angle that looked like someone accidentally held the receiver button down in Madden too long and uncorked a bullet throw. Except Goff’s throw dropped in perfectly.

View: https://twitter.com/PFF_Steve/status/1045489313201500160?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1045489313201500160&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2018%2F9%2F28%2F17913044%2Fjared-goff-los-angeles-rams-minnesota-vikings-system-qb

Head coach and play-caller Sean McVay will rightfully get a lot of credit for the victory. (His best moments included two different Goff touchdown passes where McVay schemed a receiver to get a one-on-one mismatch with linebacker Anthony Barr: a mesmerizing first-half play designed for Cooper Kupp and a second-half throw to Robert Woods.)

McVay’s otherworldly game plan allowed Goff to hit a lot of wide-open receivers, but the Rams won the game because Goff made throws into windows that looked closed. After an undeniable performance, it’s time to re-evaluate Goff’s skill level for what feels like the third time in as many years.

Even on his own team, Goff is an afterthought compared to the star-studded defensive line, rebuilt cornerback group, defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, reigning Offensive Player of the Year Todd Gurley, and media darling McVay.

In a league where franchises’ fortunes ebb and flow mostly with their quarterbacks, Goff is relatively anonymous— particularly by “quarterback drafted no. 1 overall and starting for an undefeated team playing in America’s second-largest city” standards. Do you think you could recognize Jared Goff in a bar without Googling him? Would any of your friends?

Goff’s rise has been fast. He played seven games in his rookie season, mostly under Jeff Fisher, and turned in one of the worst performances by a first-year signal-caller in league history as he threw for a meager 5.31 yards per attempt.

Through four games this season, his 10.49 yards per attempt has been nearly double that figure. He’s gone from bona fide bust as a rookie, to “Wow, he doesn’t suck!” in his sophomore campaign, to “Why are you not mentioning me and Patrick Mahomes II in the same sentence?” in his third season.

A large part of his success comes from playing in McVay’s system (that is just as true of Mahomes’s freakish start to 2018 playing in Andy Reid’s), but at what point does Goff revving the best system in football to 100 percent capacity put him in the discussion for best quarterback, period? Goff may not care what names we give him, but by the end of the year, we might be calling him MVP.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If you watch Goff, the ball gets where it needs to be pretty quickly.

If you watch someone like Matt Ryan, he throws rainbows.

Honestly, the more I watch guys like Ryan, the less I like them from a structural standpoint. He's good, but those rainbows will kill you in the playoffs.

Also, Goff is throwing with touch. 50+ yards on a rope, but not so hard that the receiver can't catch it. He's not Favre out there literally slamming balls off of guys' shoulder pads.

There's some footage of Favre early in his career in practice and he's got a guy on a crossing pattern, less than 10 yards downfield and Favre throws it so hard that it flies more than 20 yards in the air back. It actually lands behind the line where Favre threw it. And the thump it made was almost as loud as a GZ fg kick.

Anyway, we saw each week, the long ball was getting closer. This week, they got the timing worked out.

I'll say it in every thread. I was trying to tell people weeks ago that from a structural standpoint that Goff was a top 5 QB.

By the end of this season when he wins the MVP because Andy Reid's offenses don't seem to last a full season, I think more folks will be on board.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
i have a big problem with these bozos. goff was nowhere near the worst rookie qb of all time. where do they get that crap from? loud mouth idiots.

I think it was his QBR. I also think they said worst first overall or first round QB, but I may be misremembering because I can't process the level of stupid it would take for them to say anything else.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Simplified post for my blood brother:

Wentz=Elway but Wentz has more intelligence
Goff= Montana but Goff has less legs and a bit more arm

RamWoodie

Legend
Put all this debate to rest and understand Goff is a STRIKEMASTER!!!

I can 'fess up because that's the thing to do when you see you're wrong. I wasn't big on drafting Goff, I wanted Wentz. Last year I had to admit Goff was a different guy...and the reason was McVay was what he needed. It tells what a difference GOOD COACHING can do. Fisher was smart enough to draft Goff, but he wasn't smart enough to coach him up to where he is now...THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE!!!

HAIL TO "STRIKEMASTER" GOFF!!! (y)

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
There's two things people absolutely hate to admit. One that they were wrong, and two, that they were duped.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can't wait to hear what keyshawn has to say . He was really critical of Goff.

RamWoodie

Legend
Stephen A Smith: "we can't call Goff elite after one game"
I'm not in disagreement with Stephen A...he's on point here. You have to do it over an extended period of time to earn the "ELITE" moniker. He's laying the foundation though!

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not in disagreement with Stephen A...he's on point here. You have to do it over an extended period of time to earn the "ELITE" moniker. He's laying the foundation though!
I agree there but it's been a whole month .He was just off with his one game comment

James Otto

Starter
Those that have questioned Goff's arm strength, I hope that's dead once and for all.

That 55 yard pass on a rope to Cooks, I don't know if I've ever seen a pass like that before. That ball literally exploded out of his hand.