Still no respect for Goff ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
If you watch Goff, the ball gets where it needs to be pretty quickly.

If you watch someone like Matt Ryan, he throws rainbows.

Honestly, the more I watch guys like Ryan, the less I like them from a structural standpoint. He's good, but those rainbows will kill you in the playoffs.

Also, Goff is throwing with touch. 50+ yards on a rope, but not so hard that the receiver can't catch it. He's not Favre out there literally slamming balls off of guys' shoulder pads.

There's some footage of Favre early in his career in practice and he's got a guy on a crossing pattern, less than 10 yards downfield and Favre throws it so hard that it flies more than 20 yards in the air back. It actually lands behind the line where Favre threw it. And the thump it made was almost as loud as a GZ fg kick.

Anyway, we saw each week, the long ball was getting closer. This week, they got the timing worked out.

I'll say it in every thread. I was trying to tell people weeks ago that from a structural standpoint that Goff was a top 5 QB.

By the end of this season when he wins the MVP because Andy Reid's offenses don't seem to last a full season, I think more folks will be on board.

The two TD throws to Kupp were both touch throws.

The Woods and Cooks throws showed the arm strength.

Goff has it all.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
That fact that most pundits (including many here) were slobbering over Wentz's early projection and performance shouldn't be too surprising, his game is different from Goff's and usually that style translates to early success (Dak and Watson come to mind) then leveling off as defenses adjust.

Most of us who were in Goff's corner pre draft were counting on the age old process of development and had to take our lumps all the while knowing that classic drop back QB's take a little longer to develop, thing is, they keep getting better and better and this is clearly what we are witnessing. Of course none of us saw McVay coming back then, we caught a major break there.

I still believe Wentz, Dak and Watson are going to be very good QBs for a long time, that being said we 100% drafted the right guy!

Now if we could just get this Tractor or Trailer thingy sorted out :ROFLMAO:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
So, can this not be a controversial take, anymore?

Goff is a top 5 QB. Not sure what anyone needs to see...

If it makes you feel better Mack, I never thought it was controversial. Seemed spot on to me.

If you watch Goff, the ball gets where it needs to be pretty quickly.

If you watch someone like Matt Ryan, he throws rainbows.

Honestly, the more I watch guys like Ryan, the less I like them from a structural standpoint. He's good, but those rainbows will kill you in the playoffs.

Also, Goff is throwing with touch. 50+ yards on a rope, but not so hard that the receiver can't catch it. He's not Favre out there literally slamming balls off of guys' shoulder pads.

There's some footage of Favre early in his career in practice and he's got a guy on a crossing pattern, less than 10 yards downfield and Favre throws it so hard that it flies more than 20 yards in the air back. It actually lands behind the line where Favre threw it. And the thump it made was almost as loud as a GZ fg kick.

Anyway, we saw each week, the long ball was getting closer. This week, they got the timing worked out.

I'll say it in every thread. I was trying to tell people weeks ago that from a structural standpoint that Goff was a top 5 QB.

By the end of this season when he wins the MVP because Andy Reid's offenses don't seem to last a full season, I think more folks will be on board.

Now here's where I have to say I love you Mack, but...

Weren't you the guy talking about how Goff doesn't have arm strength because of aerodynamics and ball flight and crap? Not that any of that has to do with actual strength of the arm, but distance the ball travels. That was you wasn't it?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Thank goodness we don't have a shmuch on here (anymore) telling us how average our QB is....

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If my math is right, the Rams offense is averaging .55 points per play and opponents are at .27.
Rounding up the 2nd decimal and its .6 ppp vs. .3 ppp.

Through 4 weeks we have basically been doubling our opponents scoring efficiency.

I am not really too much of a stats guy, nor am I a mathemagician so please correct me if I am figuring this wrong.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If it makes you feel better Mack, I never thought it was controversial. Seemed spot on to me.

Now here's where I have to say I love you Mack, but...

Weren't you the guy talking about how Goff doesn't have arm strength because of aerodynamics and ball flight and crap? Not that any of that has to do with actual strength of the arm, but distance the ball travels. That was you wasn't it?

Thanks for the love.

And no. That's not what I said.

What I said was that initial ball velocity was NOT the only determinant in the distance a ball is thrown.

Just because Goff threw it 58mph and Wentz 57mph didn't mean that Goff had the "stronger arm" which is too nebulously defined and generally is inferred to be "can throw it the farthest"

At the time of the draft, Wentz threw a better spiral and had a better launch angle for the speed he threw the ball, thus he could throw it slightly...SLIGHTLY farther. I believe the difference was maybe 2 yards. The difference wasn't significant, but at the draft, Wentz could throw the ball a little farther. /shrug. It didn't mean much then and it doesn't mean much now. It only becomes an issue for someone like Brees who never had the strongest arm who's getting up there and they have to trade away a Brandin Cooks because Brees doesn't have the arm to truly utilize a deep threat like him. Clearly, that's not a problem for Goff.

Goff's initial issues were affirmed during this last telecast when Aikman was talking about seeing Goff for the first time. He said he wasn't throwing a spiral. It was sort of eye raising. That matches what we all saw his first year. By the way, it also lets one know exactly how special Kurt was because he was teased about he didn't throw a spiral, but still got it exactly where it needed to be.

As for Goff, he couldn't have made half the throws he made last night coming out of Cal. He's grown so much under McVay it's sort of scary, but I called it.

At no time did I say that Goff couldn't throw the ball far.

I also said that for Fisher to choose him didn't make any damn sense because he'd never developed a pocket passer and Goff would be wasted on Fisher. And he was. He was so bad under Fisher that people thought he was bust. I said prior to the draft that if we had someone like Asshole Face that I'd take Goff over any QB since Rodgers, THAT's how good he could be. Turns out we got even better than Payton with McVay. I only advocated for Wentz (just answering the next question) because I had no faith Fisher would be fired and I said that at the time.

But the physics of ball flight is really well known. At the time of the draft, Wentz threw a better spiral and Goff's footwork and initial ball velocity couldn't make up for how the ball came out of his hands.

Now? I dunno, but I think Goff's mechanical improvement nets him at least 5 more yards, maybe more.

I honestly don't know who could throw the ball farther now (well, if Mahomes is in the mix, he wins, but that's another topic), but that doesn't matter because from a QB standpoint of delivering the ball in the exact right place at the exact right time, no one's doing it better than Goff.

Right now? Goff's the best QB in the NFL.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Thanks for the love.

What I said was that initial ball velocity was NOT the only determinant in the distance a ball is thrown.

Just because Goff threw it 58mph and Wentz 57mph didn't mean that Goff had the "stronger arm" which is too nebulously defined and generally is inferred to be "can throw it the farthest"

At the time of the draft, Wentz threw a better spiral and had a better launch angle for the speed he threw the ball, thus he could throw it slightly...SLIGHTLY farther. I believe the difference was maybe 2 yards. The difference wasn't significant, but at the draft, Wentz could throw the ball a little farther. /shrug. It didn't mean much then and it doesn't mean much now. It only becomes an issue for someone like Brees who never had the strongest arm who's getting up there and they have to trade away a Brandin Cooks because Brees doesn't have the arm to truly utilize a deep threat like him. Clearly, that's not a problem for Goff.

Goff's initial issues were affirmed during this last telecast when Aikman was talking about seeing Goff for the first time. He said he wasn't throwing a spiral. It was sort of eye raising. That matches what we all saw his first year. By the way, it also lets one know exactly how special Kurt was because he was teased about he didn't throw a spiral, but still got it exactly where it needed to be.

As for Goff, he couldn't have made half the throws he made last night coming out of Cal. He's grown so much under McVay it's sort of scary, but I called it.

I also said that for Fisher to choose him didn't make any damn sense because he'd never developed a pocket passer and Goff would be wasted on Fisher. And he was. He was so bad under Fisher that people thought he was bust. I said prior to the draft that if we had someone like Asshole Face that I'd take Goff over any QB since Rodgers, THAT's how good he could be. Turns out we got even better than Payton with McVay. I only advocated for Wentz (just answering the next question) because I had no faith Fisher would be fired and I said that at the time.

But the physics of ball flight is really well known. At the time of the draft, Wentz threw a better spiral and Goff's footwork and initial ball velocity couldn't make up for how the ball came out of his hands.

Now? I dunno, but I think Goff's mechanical improvement nets him at least 5 more yards, maybe more.

I honestly don't know who could throw the ball farther now (well, if Mahomes is in the mix, he wins, but that's another topic), but that doesn't matter because from a QB standpoint of delivering the ball in the exact right place at the exact right time, no one's doing it better than Goff.

Well now that last line is controversial. Not disagreeing, but if anyone else makes it through that whole thing... Controversy ensures.

And thanks for clarifying.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Not controversial at all.

Goff, right now, based on 4 weeks of play... is the BEST QB in the NFL.

He's decimated defenses including playing two of the best defenses in the NFL in the Chargers and Vikings in back to back weeks.

That's okay, I said Goff was top 5 a few weeks ago and folks didn't want to get on board then.

Well, I'm saying Goff is going to win the MVP. Book it.

This year, no one's playing better at QB and unlike Reid's offenses, McVay's not about to have the historic drop offs that Reid's offenses inevitably have.

That game in Mexico City is looking like the best game of the year and knowing how McVay mindfully prepares for everything, I think it could be a huge blowout (as foreign games tend to be).

By the way, my take isn't based on being a homer, but it's all in the patterns.

I wish I could articulate the math, because I'd be a millionaire selling my services to the NFL. I just see it for what it is.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Not controversial at all.

Goff, right now, based on 4 weeks of play... is the BEST QB in the NFL.

He's decimated defenses including playing two of the best defenses in the NFL in the Chargers and Vikings in back to back weeks.

That's okay, I said Goff was top 5 a few weeks ago and folks didn't want to get on board then.

Well, I'm saying Goff is going to win the MVP. Book it.

This year, no one's playing better at QB and unlike Reid's offenses, McVay's not about to have the historic drop offs that Reid's offenses inevitably have.

That game in Mexico City is looking like the best game of the year and knowing how McVay mindfully prepares for everything, I think it could be a huge blowout (as foreign games tend to be).

By the way, my take isn't based on being a homer, but it's all in the patterns.

I wish I could articulate the math, because I'd be a millionaire selling my services to the NFL. I just see it for what it is.

No argument here. Goff realistically could be the MVP.

Some of us have been on board since before Goff was drafted. I have had more than a few posts expressing the view that Goff really could be great, for many reasons (including arm strength, accuracy, mental determination to be the best, etc.)

Goff is now almost indisputably an elite passer. Even the talking head bust trolls are grudgingly moving the goal posts to acknowledge his ability to some extent. He is also doing an outstanding, maybe elite, job of running the "system." Not so many pro qbs would have a chance of making the Rams offense work so seamlessly. But he would be an elite passer in any good offense.

No one seems to have much noticed, but Goff is getting bigger and stronger, no doubt adding to his already considerable arm talent. Just wait till he's 25!

Maybe most important is his determination to be the best and the self confidence to know he really can be. These are not qualities he learned from McVay, he has had them from the beginning.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
After dealing with questions about whether or not he was a system quarterback this week

I have decided my position on this topic.

The Rams have a great system, and the perfect QB to run it.

OK.

That works for me.

I still believe Wentz, Dak and Watson are going to be very good QBs for a long time, that being said we 100% drafted the right guy!

I agree about the selection of Goff, I think he will have a better career than Wentz and preferred him as the pick.

Right now I don't think Prescott is going to even be in the NFL in 2 more years unless it's in a backup role.

Wentz needs to learn how to make his money on his side of the LOS. And I use that phrase all the time because it's simply the truth.

Apt43Rams

UDFA
Part of me is probably a little bit biased being a Cal guy, but this is the Goff that I've been expecting and wanting to see and the criticisms the past years have been tough to see. Throughout his time at Cal, he was always hitting receivers in stride, placing the ball where receivers did not have to adjust much to get yards after the catch, and placing balls where only his receivers can get them. He did all this with a pocket constantly breaking down too. I know the NFL is a different beast so there would be some adjustment pains but his ball placement and his anticipation is what lit up the scoreboards at Cal.

After the Vikings game, I got the urge to watch his college highlights and some of the throws that he made in college reminded me of the throws he has been making this season. A beauty to watch, especially the deep ball.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltDnk4DffvU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEGafktM5r4

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Hey, does anyone know Goff’s address? The Coliseum grounds crew found these all over the field after the game ... apparently Jared was just dropping them everywhere...

upload_2018-9-29_16-58-47.jpeg

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Thanks for the love.

Luv ya Mac, and...as one who has a decent recall during the Goff vs Wentz pre draft drama, I sorta remember you posting a deep despair mini farewell post (I remember urging you to stay away from bridges) after the Rams chose Goff...and to your credit as a person with conviction, you’ve righted the ship of despair and quite frankly have become one of Goffs strongest advocates

Bravo Sir (take a bow)

Better a little late than never

Cheers

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Luv ya Mac, and...as one who has a decent recall during the Goff vs Wentz pre draft drama, I sorta remember you posting a deep despair mini farewell post (I remember urging you to stay away from bridges) after the Rams chose Goff...and to your credit as a person with conviction, you’ve righted the ship of despair and quite frankly have become one of Goffs strongest advocates

Bravo Sir (take a bow)

Better a little late than never

Cheers

Well, people thought I didn't like Goff.

Far from it. I thought he was exceptional.

I just had no faith that they would Fire Fisher. As in...none.

Now, if Fisher had stayed...wait, I gotta go throw up...

Okay, if...that... had happened, who would do better in that structurally broken offense? Clearly Wentz, although not much better.

But I said it before the draft...before we chose Goff, iirc, that if he was paired with a created QB coach like Asshole Face, then I'd take Goff every day and twice on Sunday and that he was the best pure thrower to come out since Rodgers. Wentz is much more a Steve McNair like QB...big, mobile, strong arm, good leader. Goff is more like Rodgers...silent killer...nothing phases him...passes so good, you're not sure you saw what you saw. If Fisher had stayed.../wretch... there's no question Wentz was the better match....for Fisher.

We saw Goff under Fisher. It was a trainwreck and none of it had to do with Goff. NONE.

Mostly, I had to take a sabbatical because structurally and from a pattern standpoint, there was no way Goff coming from where he came needing as much coaching as he did had a chance in hell of succeeding under Fisher and that offense was so bad that no one was going to look good. And it looked like I was crapping on Goff when I was just talking about the structure of the O and the reality of Goff's situation.

It was all the patterns, man!

Which is why when I said we'd structurally be terrible then, it was hard for people to hear (no one wants to hear their team is going to be so much worse than their mediocre expectations...except Dave...every year he thought we were going 16-0...God love him for that!)

It goes both ways, though.

I'm saying that this offense is historically good and Goff is playing at a historically good level right now. This team isn't just clearly the best in the NFL, but unless the wheels fall off, this team will be a historically good team.

Goff is everything I thought he could be and more. The issue was never Goff, but Fisher.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Okay, if...that... had happened, who would do better in that structurally broken offense? Clearly Wentz, although not much better.

But I said it before the draft...before we chose Goff, iirc, that if he was paired with a created QB coach like Asshole Face, then I'd take Goff every day and twice on Sunday and that he was the best pure thrower to come out since Rodgers. Wentz is much more a Steve McNair like QB...big, mobile, strong arm, good leader. Goff is more like Rodgers...silent killer...nothing phases him...passes so good, you're not sure you saw what you saw. If Fisher had stayed.../wretch... there's no question Wentz was the better match....for Fisher.

We saw Goff under Fisher. It was a trainwreck and none of it had to do with Goff. NONE.

Mostly, I had to take a sabbatical because structurally and from a pattern standpoint, there was no way Goff coming from where he came needing as much coaching as he did had a chance in hell of succeeding under Fisher and that offense was so bad that no one was going to look good. And it looked like I was crapping on Goff when I was just talking about the structure of the O and the reality of Goff's situation.

Which is why when I said we'd structurally be terrible then, it was hard for people to hear (no one wants to hear their team is going to be so much worse than their mediocre expectations...except Dave...every year he thought we were going 16-0...God love him for that!)

I'm saying that this offense is historically good and Goff is playing at a historically good level right now. This team isn't just clearly the best in the NFL, but unless the wheels fall off, this team will be a historically good team.

Goff is everything I thought he could be and more. The issue was never Goff, but Fisher.

i'm with you there man. while i thought goff would be better because of the way he could slide inside the pocket and then sling it, i thought wentz was the qb to take for a jeff fisher offense. so did many people i believe if memory serves me correctly. some people were just all over wentz's nuts. still happy when the rams took goff. and as you said it was a match made in hell. fisher had no idea what to do with a qb like goff.

luckily the rams had other ideas. they weren't gonna fuck up goff like they did bradford. they were back in la and they wanted to win. so they got the best mind in the nfl and here we are. the luckiest fans in the nfl right now.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
No argument here. Goff realistically could be the MVP.

Some of us have been on board since before Goff was drafted. I have had more than a few posts expressing the view that Goff really could be great, for many reasons (including arm strength, accuracy, mental determination to be the best, etc.)

Goff is now almost indisputably an elite passer. Even the talking head bust trolls are grudgingly moving the goal posts to acknowledge his ability to some extent. He is also doing an outstanding, maybe elite, job of running the "system." Not so many pro qbs would have a chance of making the Rams offense work so seamlessly. But he would be an elite passer in any good offense.

No one seems to have much noticed, but Goff is getting bigger and stronger, no doubt adding to his already considerable arm talent. Just wait till he's 25!

Maybe most important is his determination to be the best and the self confidence to know he really can be. These are not qualities he learned from McVay, he has had them from the beginning.
Just wait till he's 25!!!
I have also been on board the Goff trailer. His mental toughness had me sold. I think it is a big reason Snead and Fisher chose him. In college he got beat to shit and never said a word. Went 1 and 11 and just kept working to get better. Even if we hadn't hired McVay he would have made major improvements to his game. It is who he his. He has complete confidence in himself and that never wavers. Just wait till he is 25!!

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

I truley belive Goff was not fishers choice he was forced on him (with plans to go in a diff coaching direction) if Fisher had his choice Wentz would have been here

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Stephen A Smith today : rams go to superbowl if they have home field advantage . Says this offense and jared Goff would not do well in the cold.

We have not even seen this yet and they are already creating hate lol

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I'm a simple guy...I like simple. After 4 games Jared has a passer rating of 127.3

**mic drop