So Now that Watkins is Headed for the Chiefs...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm upset we weren't able to keep Watkins, but he would never get that kind of money from the Rams, or any other Team with a Lick-of-sense!! KC .....:rolllaugh:!! You look desperate!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'd do the Sammy Watkins trade all over again, even if it means losing him.
How quickly some forget how bad the Rams were for so long. Yeah Sammy was a large part of the improvement in the offense and why we won 11 games and made the playoffs.
I'd gladly trade the results from last season for an 8-8 year, no playoffs but have a 2nd rounder this year

You are speculating. You have no idea how things would have turned out. They still could have won the NFC West. The rest of the teams weren't great. They may have traded for a different receiver. One thing we consistently here from NFL types is that the draft is about the future. I'd take the second round pick over one year of Watkins. But that doesn't mean I wanted the Rams to overpay for him. Gambled and lost in my book.

He's not a $16m per year player, period. Therefore the Rams passing was the correct decision. Paying him that much just because you've already invested a 2nd rounder is chasing your losses. I hope you guys don't gamble.

I don't think that anyone regretting giving up that pick is saying that the Rams should have outbid the Chiefs.

4 Years of control? You don't know what that guy is. You don't know if he is injury prone. The draft is no better than 50/50. Same goes with trades and FA. It was a great move for last season. Without him we don't win as many games and Goff maybe struggles more. Even now that we know he isnt comming back, i still think it was worth it. Paying him 16m, not so much. We over came not having a 1st round pick last year. We can over come not having a 2nd this year.

4 cheap years of control are huge. Overall Snead has been a successful drafter. I'd take the gamble of Snead successfully picking a productive player, over one year of any player, unless that player directly correlates to a Superbowl win. I am not necessarily saying it would be Pettis. That is your assumption. A second round pick could also be used to move up in round 1 for a coveted player, that they could retain for 5 years.

To all of you that are arguing against us that don't like losing the second round pick....it's our prerogative. We can think the trade was a fail. Steadman make mistakes. It doesn't mean we think he sucks. It isn't a direct attack on anyone else. There is no need or no use trying to convince anyone that thinks it was a waste, that it wasn't.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
It was worth it. I dont understand the whinning over draft picks. We needed him to open things up and help give Goff easier throws. We will get a 3rd in comp and Goff is more experienced. A 2nd was the price it took and our need was great. Now it isn't so great. We didn't lose a 2nd, we used it how best we needed at the time to help a crappy offence become the best. Now we move on.

Word

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
welp ...sammy can swim in his money while the rams are swimming in confetti at the end of the end of next years superbowl

what about that TE Kid from Penn state to replace his production? ,, we haven't had a TE with a weird surname since Klopfenstien and ho ho ...

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I understand we can't sign everyone. That being said, I hope this doesn't bite us in the ass. Neither Reynolds or Thomas have proved a thing yet. Now we're back to having unproven's to be that guy to take the top off.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand we can't sign everyone. That being said, I hope this doesn't bite us in the ass. Neither Reynolds or Thomas have proved a thing yet. Now we're back to having unproven's to be that guy to take the top off.

Maybe we come out ahead? No guts, no glory.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Sammy showed he's all about the money . He left a team that is on the rise with a young nucleus and great opportunity to win.

He will now play with a rookie qb on a team that seems to be rebuilding.
Good luck to him, he is a great athlete and has all the potential to be a top 5 reciever.

I heard a radio show saying that jared had to tell him where he should be all time time, that' just ridiculous and not worth 16 million a year .

This much for Watkins? How much is OBJ asking for ?

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Sammy received the about the same average yearly salary as Evans did with Tampa, 16 million. Sammy received 30 million guaranteed, 25 million less than Evans, as he received 55 million. Sammy has less years at 3, compared to 5 with Evans. Sammy has not been as good as Evans in the past, but he certainly can be in the future, provided he stays healthy. Evans certainly has proved his worth as his contract dictates, that does not guarantee future results. Sorry fellow posters, Rams dropped the ball, IMO.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/13/sammy-watkins-chiefs-2018-nfl-free-agency-grades

Can Sammy Watkins Play to His Potential in Chiefs’ Now-Loaded Offense?
By CONOR ORR

What a phenomenal deal for Sammy Watkins personally. If you had to put your young-but-fledgling career in the hands of any offensive mind in the NFL right now, wouldn’t it be Andy Reid? The 24-year-old Watkins gets $48 million for three years with $30 million guaranteed, according to the NFL Network, which means two things:

1. Prime wide receiver money at just a million under the Antonio Brown threshold

2. A chance to hit the market again well before Watkins turns 30.

When grading something like this, you have to take into consideration both the benefit from Watkins’s side and the risk taken by Kansas City. Watkins has flashed moments of absolute brilliance throughout his career in Buffalo and Los Angeles, but he’s had to balance his desire to be an Odell Beckham-esque, 10-target-per-game player with lingering health issues and serious changes in offensive scheme.

Reid has been consistently able to get his top targets the ball over the years, but is $30 million in guaranteed money too much for someone who has posted just one 1,000-yard season over four years of at least eight games per season?

The wide receiver market and NFL free agency as a whole are strange. A little more than a year ago today, Alshon Jeffery took a high-end one-year deal with the Eagles for less money per year. While that ended up resulting in a heftier extension, Jeffery was arguably a more proven commodity, with two monstrous seasons under his belt already.

From a fan perspective, though, it’s a move that allows people to dream. The prospect of Watkins, Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce and Kareem Hunt in the same offense is dizzying for opposing defensive coordinators on paper.

The question is whether Patrick Mahomes can make all the parts work, and this may end up being Reid’s greatest challenge as a head coach. With expectations at uncanny levels, can he deliver a team that was more consistently dominant than any of the Alex Smith-led units now that he has an arsenal of brand-name talent?

GRADE: B-

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...s-talent-to-kc-but-targets-might-not-be-there

Watkins brings talent to KC, but targets might not be there
BY JEFF RATCLIFFE

USATSI_10459051.jpg

Mandatory Credit: Matt Kartozian-USA TODAY Sports

The wide receiver well in this year’s free agent class dried up pretty quickly with
Sammy Watkins now also off the board (along with Allen Robinson) after he reportedly agreed to a 3-year deal with the Kansas City Chiefs. Watkins is yet another explosive weapon in an offense that already includes Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, and Kareem Hunt.

Injuries have marred much of Watkins’ early career, with a troublesome foot costing him 11 games over the 2015 and 2016 seasons. Still, he was quite productive over his first two years in the league with nearly 1,000 yards in his rookie year and 1,047 yards in just 13 games in his sophomore campaign. Watkins also racked up nine scores that season. He finished a respectable 15th among wide receivers in fantasy scoring in 2015, but was one of the hottest receivers down the stretch with the third-most fantasy points scored at the position from Week 12 on.

Following his impressive finish in 2015, the hype surrounding Watkins pushed his ADP into the middle of the third round even with news that his foot was far from 100 percent. Of course, those reports proved to be true and Watkins played in just two games over the first 11 weeks of the season.

The Bills wiped their hands clean of the former fourth overall selection, trading Watkins to the Rams this past offseason. In Los Angeles, Watkins wasn’t able to regain his earlier form. However, it should be noted that he frequently drew tough coverage assignments, which certainly put a damper on his target volume.

Still, he managed to finish strong down the stretch, yet again, with scores in 4-of-5 games from Week 12 to Week 16. While he wasn’t wildly productive, Watkins did manage to rank 22nd among wide receivers in fantasy scoring during that stretch.

Sammy-Watkins-Chiefs-1024x571.png

Unlike his time in Buffalo and Los Angeles, Watkins isn’t the best bet to be the primary focus of opposing defenses in Kansas City. With Hill’s dynamic ability demanding attention, Watkins will potentially have more freedom to do what he does best as a downfield threat. There are a lot of question marks surrounding how Patrick Mahomes will fare as the starter, but there’s no deny his ability to sling the rock. His cannon of an arm bodes positively for Watkins’ skill set.

Perhaps the bigger question is how much meat will be on the bone for Watkins in terms of target volume. Last season, Kelce posted a team-high 117 and Hill saw 102 targets. Both players are likely to continue to get theirs in the passing game. The remaining wide receivers totaled 129 targets. Albert Wilson led that group with 56, and he’s expected to sign with the Dolphins. It’s a solid landing spot, but Wilson is a big step down from Jarvis Landry for Miami. He may end up have some PPR appeal, but only in deeper leagues

Watkins certainly isn’t going to get all of those looks. If he sees 60-70 percent of them, he’ll end up with somewhere between 75 and 90 targets. That’s going to make it difficult for Watkins to be a consistent redraft option considering just one wide receiver finished in the top 30 in fantasy scoring at the position with fewer than 90 targets last season (JuJu Smith-Schuster saw 77 targets and finished 16th).

However, Watkins will still be worth consideration as a boom-or-bust WR4/5. Giving his weekly upside, Watkins figures to be more desirable in best ball and as a DFS option.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Well DAMN! I know we have a plan and probably had a max we were willing to pay for SW. We will be fine and probably better off in the long run due to the extra cap space. Now we can get a high end NT or LB or both rental/s for Wade's D.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Chiefs way overpaid. Surprising as Reid is usually more savvy.

Sammy got an A+ salary with a history of B- production.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
welp ...sammy can swim in his money while the rams are swimming in confetti at the end of the end of next years superbowl

what about that TE Kid from Penn state to replace his production? ,, we haven't had a TE with a weird surname since Klopfenstien and ho ho ...

Gesicki is legit and will have value at 23 IMO. Problem with drafting him is, for myself at least, it would make me wonder whether they're still high on Everett. Might mean they want to pair the two of them, I suppose, but then we'll have to wait about a year to see how things settle in given how tough that position is to translate into this league. So I don't expect them to go that route.

But one thing's for sure though... Gesicki would stretch the F out of the seam in this offense. He'd be an upgrade over Higbee.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I wouldnt bring in a FA WR, the contracts are too steep. Draft a mid-late rd WR with size and respectable speed. Wont be able to match SWs skillset and physicality, but JR or a rookie will be able to take the top off.

jap

Legend
I wouldnt bring in a FA WR, the contracts are too steep. Draft a mid-late rd WR with size and respectable speed. Wont be able to match SWs skillset and physicality, but JR or a rookie will be able to take the top off.

Our own Mike Thomas can take the top off. He is pretty good running routes too. The question is: will he hold onto the rock or drop it like he did in 2016?

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Grades on the Watkins deal, take it with a grain of salt, are generally pretty bad.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
personally, Im glad we didnt spend the money on him. Feel like theres much better ways to spend that money and I still have faith that Reynolds and/or Thomas will be a legit starter in this league. Not to mention I have complete faith in Kupp playing the outside wr role in 2 wr sets

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I don't know guys....I remember when we counted on the development of Austin Pettis and Greg Salas in 2011 to be our WR's, and now depending on Mike Thomas and Josh Reynolds feels similar right now to me. We went out last year and got Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods because those guys were not enough....

I guess we will see what Sean McVay really thinks of them this off season.

Those guys failed to develop under completely different, and hopelessly inept regimes on the offensive side of the ball. Now we have an offensive mastermind with a good track record in developing talent. And when Reynolds had to step in to take the place of Woods for a short spell last year, he generally did what we needed him to do. If we stand pat, he'll get extra attention from the coaching staff, and with the jump from year 1 to year 2, I won't be surprised to see him become a decent NFL WR. The kid works hard, wants it, and is coachable. Let's go, Josh.

And Thomas has something to bring to the table as well.

That KC O is loaded.

They still have an unproven QB though.

People keep saying "stand pat" - that makes no sense.

Even if you want Reynolds to take Sammy's place, that makes our WR depth the worst in the NFL. We have to either sign a FA or spend a midround pick on a WR now.

Worst WR depth in the NFL? A bit of an overreaction, don't you think? We've seen what "worst WR depth in the NFL" looks like quite a bit in these parts during the decade plus of the pre-McVay era. Even without Watkins, we are a lot better off than we were then, and we are a lot better off than a lot of other teams at the position.

------------------------------------

It is kind of ironic to watch the reactions around here. If we had franchised Sammy, his salary would have been close to his average for what the Chiefs and people would have screamed to high heaven that we overpaid him for one year ... but now that we didn't overpay him for three years, we made a mistake?

I would have loved to see him come back, but not at that price, even when considering how he opened up the offense for us last year. I have a ton of confidence in McVay's ability to develop the talent we have on hand, as well as to make the necessary adjustments to the scheme to compensate for this loss. And with this issue resolved, we have more room to get AD and LJ locked up long term.