So Now that Watkins is Headed for the Chiefs...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again, Ill take four years of a good player over one of another. I still think they would have won the division. Everyone progressed as the season went on, except maybe Goff at the very end. It isn't like Watkins was flawless either.

What happens if you got four years of Isaiah Pead or Brian Quick?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Your post said something to the effect that Sammy only left because of the money....well, he did, but KC has a loaded team....A really good team....Exciting offense. Money was a factor, but not the only one. The Chiefs can win now.
So....the Rams aren’t an exciting offense? The team that was #1 in scoring?
C81D9282-4FA3-41EE-BF68-E0E1B5BD99EE.jpeg

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gesicki is legit and will have value at 23 IMO. Problem with drafting him is, for myself at least, it would make me wonder whether they're still high on Everett. Might mean they want to pair the two of them, I suppose, but then we'll have to wait about a year to see how things settle in given how tough that position is to translate into this league. So I don't expect them to go that route.

But one thing's for sure though... Gesicki would stretch the F out of the seam in this offense. He'd be an upgrade over Higbee.
trouble for me is i like both everett and Higs ....but one thing i do know i dont think snead and Mcvay are scared about cutting their losses and letting players who aren't working out go ..Quinn Ogletree and Austin... all big names

so if they felt they needed to trade either higs everette or cut them, they will

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Of course the Rams wanted him back at their number, question is what their number was.
50 dollar question right there....on day it'll come out....I hope Demoff isn't lowballing every FA we have...
Antonio Callaway has the ability to be a top 10 WR and major deep threat, but he's a dumbass.
I'd grab that guy.....obvious talent. Don't know what he's done....if he isn't as bad as the guy....what's his name? Josh Gordon, dude from Ok. State...dude with Raiders just kick out of league...hopefully he's just OBJ dumbass....
So....the Rams aren’t an exciting offense? The team that was #1 in scoring?
We are....we are....but KC has some pieces.....and.....AND....a QB that LOVES to throw DEEP....remember all the throws that were MISSED to Watkins???? Could be a reason right there....
Lots of arguments with @LACHAMP46
Never liked Pead.....thought he could play, but never liked him....figured we should use him too....as a KO returner....

Didn't know why we drafted Quick so high.....thought he could play....but didn't understand why so high??? During his 3rd year.....thought we should start developing him more...more plays...more targets...MORE....coaches dropped the ball on that kid.

Mike Thomas is another one....probably better than every receiver on team....and now....we'll see where he goes.

Turducken

Starter
Well..I've heard that a 3rd next year is like a 4th this year (every year counts as a drop of round for current worth). If so, we gave up a 2nd rounder plus a learning year for Watkins, for a 2018 4th rounder (3rd rounder in 2019). Ugh...
Well we also got an NFC West Championship out if it ( and proved this offense can work). I have faith in McVay/Snead...until they give me reasons to lose it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What happens if you got four years of Isaiah Pead or Brian Quick?

I'd take that risk. What if it is four years of Alshon Jeffery or Deseasn Jackson?

Besides, what is one winning season worth? They were one and done in the playoffs. If we are speaking in hypotheticals lets say they would have landed someone comparable to Desean Jackson, but instead they don't land anyone because they traded for Sammy and one year of winning. Then they lose for the next four without their second round receiver that is a lot like Desean Jackson?

Last edited:

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
Your post said something to the effect that Sammy only left because of the money....well, he did, but KC has a loaded team....A really good team....Exciting offense. Money was a factor, but not the only one. The Chiefs can win now.
Yep....that's who's there right now....and for some reason, I still see him being the #1 option with Kelce being a #1a.....

This is where I disagree, I believe our offense with Sammy is better than theirs aside from our TE position, including our coaching and play calling.

Now he has a completely unproven QB, and weapons all around him, the QB is presumably Comfortable throwing to all the other receivers because of the time hey had last season in practice and garbage time games... I find it hard to believe he will be 1A there, I would take Hill over Watkins in a minute, but that’s just me.

Thanks for elaborating though, I was just curious on your opinion.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
From NFL.com View attachment 24189

Sammy helped us last year get the offense rolling. Gaines is a zone corner that didn’t fit Wade’s scheme and was coming off injury. We get draft compensation for losing Watkins. There was no way we were spending big dough for his role. This administration is great at having a plan that they keep internal. They publicly laud all their players but know exactly what they ultimately want. Extending Ogletree allowed them to trade him, it was the plan all along.

In today’s NFL, players must come and go judiciously. Consider the frequent turnover in NE. Expect the same of players like Whitworth, Talib and Peters. The Rams will develop replacements through the draft and the ones that don’t pan out will have their roles filled by short term rentals. I don’t expect any big names to fill Sammy’s role...but there will be a mid level FA signed for depth as they continue to develop Reynolds and Thomas.

Copper Bro’s are still both young as well. Will see what happens to Tavon ?
Waldron running the TE’s at the combine gives The Rams some good insight.

How did McVays offense looks in Washington vs The Rams. I know he has total control with The Rams , but just trying to figure out how The Rams build the 53 ? Is it different year to year by position or is it by players ?

WestCoastRam

Legend
With Woods being doubled at times, I think it may open up the field for a Reynolds or Thomas.

I don't watch the offense as much as you guys but I wonder if some of the lack of targets for Sammy was that he was simply doubled and Goff looked elsewhere. I feel like that's something that happens with young QBs.

Dez Bryant fell off when Prescott took over and other WR's targets went up. Was it cause Prescott was looking off the guy who was doubled?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well DAMN! I know we have a plan and probably had a max we were willing to pay for SW. We will be fine and probably better off in the long run due to the extra cap space. Now we can get a high end NT or LB or both rental/s for Wade's D.
or for resigning Goff main protection wall in Saffold, Havenstein & Jamon Brown!

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Bummer but im not in the least surprised. Sammy always felt like a "im going to the highest bidder" type guy.

Turducken

Starter
Rumor is that John Schneider just offered us Seattle's 2nd round pick in exchange for the 2017 NFC West title and an agreement to remove the 42-7 home loss from the record books.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
trouble for me is i like both everett and Higs ....but one thing i do know i dont think snead and Mcvay are scared about cutting their losses and letting players who aren't working out go ..Quinn Ogletree and Austin... all big names

so if they felt they needed to trade either higs everette or cut them, they will

No doubt. Rams are hitting on a lot of the cylinders and I am quite happy with their ability to cut bait on guys who aren't performing. That is one of many ways the organization has improved with this new regime.

WRT the TE room at large, the key is time. Everett has only had one season, and was a selection of the staff so I'm sure he not only factors in largely with next year's plans but also I presume they still have big plans for him. Higs failed to deliver a seam threat in year two, but that doesn't mean they don't have hopes for him to improve. Question though is whether they want to gamble on him improving.

This is why IF they were to take Gesicki in this draft it would be a bad indicator of what they think about that TE room. Wouldn't be the worst thing, and I could actually get behind it because the more I see his cutups the more I like him. I would just be a little disappointed that we didn't get the impact player we want at 23.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I'm all for seeing josh get his chance but it better pay off or we's in trouble. I know theres suppossed to be this big jump from year 1 to year 2 but josh barely played last year so its a tall order to do what we need him to do this season. The coaches are "high" on him but they're high on everybody. I'd rather hear that they feel confident he can step right in and do what they need him to do. And saying that that the decent route running Thomas and his troubled hands are in the mix doesn't make me feel any better about the rams view on josh being able to take control of that position. I guess they really just dont know yet and that concerns me. Our offense was booming last year and now we need things to work out with josh while hoping the TE position takes their game to a new level. I do think 16 million was too much for the rams to pay for Sammy but now were in a tight spot and our passing game is easier to cover as a group. Spending 20 million for 2 years of Graham would help with that but something definately has to be done during FA because the draft isnt going to make our offense better.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Oh brother...careful what you wish for...Great post by LoyalRam.....didn't figure you for a guy that thought Snead/Demoff made mistakes....

Like a poster said...this is starting to become a trend....and if so, what the hell do we keep throwing draft picks away at guys we "can't" sign????

Because draft picks....esp. 2nd rounders are your future and valuable. They allow you to max sign certain players (Donald, Brockers....ect), while you have cheaper replacements developing....it allows your team to remain competitive, year after year. If necessary, you can use draft picks to acquire more picks or higher picks...again, all in the effort to keep costs down and continually renew the roster with low dollar players.

This
We'll play a 1st place schedule.....teams have "seen" McVay's scheme for a year and studied it....it will be quite a challenge to repeat last years performance....several players will regress to their "averages".....

Some on here have stated we don't need to replace him....so, I think it's good to have a lil clarity on the Rams plans at wr.....if there is some doubts.

Not true....esp. with 2nd round picks....guys that miss in the first 3 rounds consistently...and 50/50 is consistently missing to me.....you gotta fire a GM like that. And Les....man....I can't tell if he's a good GM or not....cause Demoff can't seem to re-sign anyone on the damn team that can play....unless it's a d-lineman...not named Aaron Donald.

Not true...best offer....and KC is clearly on the rise. More talent than us at the moment.

Naw Dave....they're going for it....they have a unique window of opportunity....they have some very cheap and exciting talent on offense....so they can afford to overpay??? a wr stud....

Clearly....you know the game....keep throwing away 2nd's for one year rentals.....and watch where McVay and Snead are working next.....

Couldn't have said it better meeself...well maybe.;)

KC is loaded....and on the rise....think they won 10 games......and trust me...Andy Reid knows what the hell he's doing at QB......he traded his game manager/trailer.....and handed his tractor the chains:boxing:

They were in a great position.....Hunt, Mahomes 2nd year.....Tyreek, 3rd year....all on cheap rookie deals. I think Kelsey is on a rookie contract as well....Reid knows what he's doing.
Just goes to show you....stats do lie:neener:

I disagree that KC is loaded , media can say all they want about mahomes but he is a rookie qb . They traded away their best defensive player and now just gave Watkins 16 million a year .
I don' see how they have more talent than the rams ..goff gurley and donald?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This is where I disagree, I believe our offense with Sammy is better than theirs aside from our TE position, including our coaching and play calling.
Hmmmm....maybe....but I doubt it.
KC won the division in 2016....Just like 2017...They played a #1 type schedule in 2017 too. They were one of the most exciting teams in early 2017....With what some call a limited QB....

Reid wasn't happy with the offense and drafted a QB high, and plan to play him in 2018.

Our offense took the league by storm....We played a last place schedule....Over our final 6 games we played better teams...better defenses...Our offense slowed down. In the playoffs we played an outstanding secondary/pass defense....We we contained rather easily....Sammy hardly touched the ball. We will play a 1st place schedule in 2019.

I would take Hill over Watkins in a minute, but that’s just me.
Really???
Hill is a great weapon....KR, PR...and wideout.

Sammy is a excellent wr.....Runs routes and has speed and power....Some of the best hands in the game.

I don't think it's close at the moment....Sammy is an ALL-Pro talent....Hill is an exciting weapon.
Now he has a completely unproven QB
Andy Reid believes.....I believe too. Dude looked great in preseason...pretty good in the one game he started too.