So Now that Watkins is Headed for the Chiefs...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Yeah, our draft just changed somewhat..imo. If Watkins was that worthless to Sean McVay, then there would have been no great effort to re-sign him if he thought Reynolds and Thomas were the answers.

Now all of the top corners in the NFL will be focusing on Robert Woods when they play us, and I am not sure our offensive output will be the same as last year.

This with big shiny bells on - at the moment to me this is a backward step for our O. Reynolds/Thomas do not hold the same respect as Watkins does from opposing D's.

EDIT: Watkins, Hill and Kelce with Mahomes will be a fun O to watch

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This with big shiny bells on - at the moment to me this is a backward step for our O. Reynolds/Thomas do not hold the same respect as Watkins does from opposing D's.
There was a stat posted on another site showing WR’s being covered by top corners. Woods was third on the list of top 10at 41%, Sammy wasn’t on the list.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Our own Mike Thomas can take the top off. He is pretty good running routes too. The question is: will he hold onto the rock or drop it like he did in 2016?

Forgot to add Thomas. The Rams should be OK @WR IMO, has TA been officially cut? Remember we were heavy @WR last season so losing 1 we wouldnt be short handed @WR. I could see Mcvay holding on to TA until a better option is available at a reasonable salary.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
There was a stat posted on another site showing WR’s being covered by top corners. Woods was third on the list of top 10at 41%, Sammy wasn’t on the list.

Thanks for that - it didn't look like it on game day, but if the stats say so, I'll stand corrected. I still think that not having Watkins will not help our O.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are speculating. You have no idea how things would have turned out. They still could have won the NFC West. The rest of the teams weren't great. They may have traded for a different receiver. One thing we consistently here from NFL types is that the draft is about the future. I'd take the second round pick over one year of Watkins. But that doesn't mean I wanted the Rams to overpay for him. Gambled and lost in my book.
So I cant speculate but you can?
No, I'm confident that removing any of the new pieces to the puzzle, Woods, Kupp or Watkins would have greatly affected the outcome. I wouldn't trade the outcome of last year for any 2nd round draft pick.
They rolled the dice and won, 11-5 and the playoffs.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sammy was a beast in that 1st San Fran game. They don't win it without his huge catch(es)
Who knows what happens if they lose that game.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sammy Watkins now has the 4th highest yearly average contract for wide receivers.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

EDIT: Watkins, Hill and Kelce with Mahomes will be a fun O to watch
Add Hunt in there too and they will be very dangerous.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure if the concussion had anything to do with it, but in Watkins 1st 3 games, he caught 13 out of 14 targets. After the concussion, he caught just 26 of 56 targets.
Loved the trade when they got him, but glad they aren't paying that ransom

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
@LACHAMP46

Just curious what your opinion on my post is, since you gave me the different opinion rating. The chiefs have 2 good running backs, a top 2 TE in the league, and a great young receiver already in Hill who is a burner. If he doesn’t come in ready to play and outshine those guys early, he very easily could be the 4th option on offense.

Jeez, as I typed that I realized how absolutely rediculously fast the chiefs offense is, Mahomes running ability included, imagine what McVay could do with that kind of speed instead of Reid...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Oh brother...careful what you wish for...Great post by LoyalRam.....didn't figure you for a guy that thought Snead/Demoff made mistakes....

Like a poster said...this is starting to become a trend....and if so, what the hell do we keep throwing draft picks away at guys we "can't" sign????

I dont understand the whinning over draft picks.
Because draft picks....esp. 2nd rounders are your future and valuable. They allow you to max sign certain players (Donald, Brockers....ect), while you have cheaper replacements developing....it allows your team to remain competitive, year after year. If necessary, you can use draft picks to acquire more picks or higher picks...again, all in the effort to keep costs down and continually renew the roster with low dollar players.
Now all of the top corners in the NFL will be focusing on Robert Woods when they play us, and I am not sure our offensive output will be the same as last year.
This
We'll play a 1st place schedule.....teams have "seen" McVay's scheme for a year and studied it....it will be quite a challenge to repeat last years performance....several players will regress to their "averages".....
Thanks Vinny, woulda never guessed that
Some on here have stated we don't need to replace him....so, I think it's good to have a lil clarity on the Rams plans at wr.....if there is some doubts.
The draft is no better than 50/50. Same goes with trades and FA.
Not true....esp. with 2nd round picks....guys that miss in the first 3 rounds consistently...and 50/50 is consistently missing to me.....you gotta fire a GM like that. And Les....man....I can't tell if he's a good GM or not....cause Demoff can't seem to re-sign anyone on the damn team that can play....unless it's a d-lineman...not named Aaron Donald.
But it looks like he just chose the money over a championship.
Not true...best offer....and KC is clearly on the rise. More talent than us at the moment.
KC .....:rolllaugh:!! You look desperate!
Naw Dave....they're going for it....they have a unique window of opportunity....they have some very cheap and exciting talent on offense....so they can afford to overpay??? a wr stud....
One thing we consistently here from NFL types is that the draft is about the future. I'd take the second round pick over one year of Watkins.
Clearly....you know the game....keep throwing away 2nd's for one year rentals.....and watch where McVay and Snead are working next.....
4 cheap years of control are huge. Overall Snead has been a successful drafter. I'd take the gamble of Snead successfully picking a productive player, over one year of any player
Couldn't have said it better meeself...well maybe.;)
He left a team that is on the rise with a young nucleus and great opportunity to win.

He will now play with a rookie qb on a team that seems to be rebuilding.
KC is loaded....and on the rise....think they won 10 games......and trust me...Andy Reid knows what the hell he's doing at QB......he traded his game manager/trailer.....and handed his tractor the chains:boxing:
Chiefs way overpaid. Surprising as Reid is usually more savvy.
They were in a great position.....Hunt, Mahomes 2nd year.....Tyreek, 3rd year....all on cheap rookie deals. I think Kelsey is on a rookie contract as well....Reid knows what he's doing.
Just goes to show you....stats do lie:neener:

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sammy Watkins now has the 4th highest yearly average contract for wide receivers.

giphy.gif

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This time last year the Rams were criticized for the contract we gave Robert Woods. Sammy just signed for $14 million more for two less years.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Just curious what your opinion on my post is, since you gave me the different opinion rating.
Your post said something to the effect that Sammy only left because of the money....well, he did, but KC has a loaded team....A really good team....Exciting offense. Money was a factor, but not the only one. The Chiefs can win now.
The chiefs have 2 good running backs, a top 2 TE in the league, and a great young receiver already in Hill who is a burner. If he doesn’t come in ready to play and outshine those guys early, he very easily could be the 4th option on offense.
Yep....that's who's there right now....and for some reason, I still see him being the #1 option with Kelce being a #1a.....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some on here have stated we don't need to replace him....so, I think it's good to have a lil clarity on the Rams plans at wr.....if there is some doubts.
Of course the Rams wanted him back at their number, question is what their number was.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
So if this dopey market being what it is what do you think Lee and Richardson contracts should look like? My concern is if the Rams are in the window of win now losing core players hurts I agree not giving Sammy close to that money is the right call even though it stings but as much a I love Reynolds we need a replacement who is proven for now even for a short term contract. Developing Reynolds or Thomas during our open window scares me. I'm all for Richardson I think he would be perfect would like Lee as well and would definately take a chance on Terrell Pryor if money is right. I believe Sean Mcvey could definately work with Pryor and make him a stud again. I think adding any of these 3 is perfect for the offense while Reynolds works his way in as wr4 and of course injuries are always present.
1. Richardson
2. Lee
3. Pryor

All interchangeable depending on asking price.

jap

Legend
This time last year the Rams were criticized for the contract we gave Robert Woods. Sammy just signed for $14 million more for two less years.

People forgot how good Robert was at the collegiate level. Then he was drafted by the Bills who stress the running game much more than the passing game, so Robert wasn't getting much opportunities to show what he could do.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Again, Ill take four years of a good player over one of another. I still think they would have won the division. Everyone progressed as the season went on, except maybe Goff at the very end. It isn't like Watkins was flawless either.