So Now that Watkins is Headed for the Chiefs...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd do the Sammy Watkins trade all over again, even if it means losing him.

I was behind it at the time, for good reason too. It was worth rollin the dice on.

Bigger concern is the contracts side, once again. Les is doing his job.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
The amount over reaction and drama in this thread is comical. It's like a day time soap opera in here.

No, just disappointed. Watched the Rams go from bottom to top in offense last season, Sammy was a part. How big of a part certainly can and has been be discussed. Wanted to keep the O together for another playoff/superbowl run.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was behind it at the time, for good reason too. It was worth rollin the dice on.

Bigger concern is the contracts side, once again. Les is doing his job.
No doubt. Im actually relieved the contract is so out of touch with reality that second guessing on signing him just has no place. Had he signed a Janoris Jenkins contract, it would have been ugly

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
He's not a $16m per year player, period. Therefore the Rams passing was the correct decision. Paying him that much just because you've already invested a 2nd rounder is chasing your losses. I hope you guys don't gamble.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
If the rams think the answer is to stand pat and hope that the underwhelming TE position and Reynolds will fill the void, then the question is, "I'll take what Jeff fisher would do for 1000"

I do think they get a FA TE or WR though.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I can't believe the chiefs are giving him 16mil. That's just nuts. So in that respect I can understand why the Rams didn't want to pay him. On the other hand I'm pissed because we absolutely wasted a second round pick on a one year rental that didn't produce.

But thats the thing with the NFL you don't need to production, you just need potential and they'll give you 16 mil a year. Lol what a joke

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm disappointed Watkins walked, but Rams no way could afford to use up half their salry cap they had left to sign him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I can't believe the chiefs are giving him 16mil. That's just nuts. So in that respect I can understand why the Rams didn't want to pay him. On the other hand I'm ticked because we absolutely wasted a second round pick on a one year rental that didn't produce.

I presume the main hit of the contract is in the first two years, if so it's basically a two year contract they can walk away from if he doesn't produce. So their risk is really season two of the deal, in terms of comparing it to a tag that the Rams considered.

It's really not that big a surprise tbh. Teams covet wideouts with his talent.

Raminator

UDFA
Yeah, our draft just changed somewhat..imo. If Watkins was that worthless to Sean McVay, then there would have been no great effort to re-sign him if he thought Reynolds and Thomas were the answers.

Now all of the top corners in the NFL will be focusing on Robert Woods when they play us, and I am not sure our offensive output will be the same as last year.

I agree with this totally. Yes Sammy had an off year but just his name alone demanded extra attention from defenses which opened up Kupp and Woods. I doubt that Thomas or Reynolds scare anyone.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Even if you want Reynolds to take Sammy's place, that makes our WR depth the worst in the NFL. We have to either sign a FA or spend a midround pick on a WR now.
I will disagree with you on this point!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, just disappointed. Watched the Rams go from bottom to top in offense last season, Sammy was a part. How big of a part certainly can and has been be discussed. Wanted to keep the O together for another playoff/superbowl run.
And if we’d signed him to that contract the complaining would shift to we over paid. I laughed when I saw 3 years $48 million with $30 million guaranteed. He’s worth 2/3 that at best.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

9pyoYoZ.gif

Thanks Vinny, woulda never guessed that

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
They are meeting with Austin Pettis. That tells us that they have a plan to see if a receiver is an option in the draft. Thomas will be a free agent in a year or two, and Reynolds three years. Is a guy like Sutton possible in round one?

Yeah that was a risky trade that didn't work out for the long haul. This year's second rounder could land a receiver.

Or Sutton.

Four years of control of a good player on a cheap contract. That is a lot to give up for one year of a guy that didn't give his all on every play.

Sammy was more than a deep decoy. He was good over the mice. Hopefully Everett can develop to do that and Reynolds or Thompson can do the deep ball part, but that is two players doing what one can. If they want it in one guy that player has to come from outside the team. Maybe they draft him.
4 Years of control? You don't know what that guy is. You don't know if he is injury prone. The draft is no better than 50/50. Same goes with trades and FA. It was a great move for last season. Without him we don't win as many games and Goff maybe struggles more. Even now that we know he isnt comming back, i still think it was worth it. Paying him 16m, not so much. We over came not having a 1st round pick last year. We can over come not having a 2nd this year.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I think we can now say that Rams wasted a second round pick at this point to only get one year rental for Watkins plus loosing Gains too. At the time I was for the trade, but Watkins did not put up the numbers to warrant keeping him around at 16 mil a season. This type of dealing is definitely not a sustainable model for the Rams. I hope the Peters trade yields better results.
Right, and last off season i heard, we wasted last year's 1st. What do you think our record would have been last year withoit watkins?

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
How will you "know" that our need isn't so great?

As for "whinning" over draft picks, we gave up a 2018 2nd round pick for a 2019 3rd round pick (if it falls that way). A 2019 3rd rounder is worth a 2018 4th fourth rounder. So we gave up Gaines and a 2018 2nd rounder for a one year rental of Watkins and a 2018 4th rounder. That BLOWS.
How do you know our 2nd would be any good?

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I was sad at first, bc i thought we sent him away. But it looks like he just chose the money over a championship. So much for that "I wanna stay here" bs. Cant wait to see Thomas or Reynolds go deep this season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we can now say that Rams wasted a second round pick at this point to only get one year rental for Watkins plus loosing Gains too. At the time I was for the trade, but Watkins did not put up the numbers to warrant keeping him around at 16 mil a season. This type of dealing is definitely not a sustainable model for the Rams. I hope the Peters trade yields better results.

We'll likely get a 3rd or 4th round comp pick. That means we swapped a 2nd for a 3rd or 4th and one season of Watkins. It was worth it to me imo.