Rams talking to Austin Blythe about remaining with team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agreed. However, I still think his future is at one of the tackle spots.

just shows the depth The Rams have & how Kromer cross trains the Lineman. Some Ram fans forget the French Wine Coach from years past. He was the worst.

I hear some Ram fans say Kromer sucks it is his fault. I know the last 2 seasons The Rams depth was just as bad if not worse ??

So good point of Edwards playing Tackle. That’s all good. I actually have been a HUGE Big Rob Havenstien OG FAN !! He is such an excellent run blocker & gets down field well. His biggest problem to me is moving his feet for an outside pass rush.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Kromer seriously miscalculated & gambled big on Noteboom's ability to temporarily team with Whitworth @ starting OG. Noteboom was not equal to Saffold not even close. Epic Fail! On the same vain Kromer also overestimated Allen's ability to start @ center too. Two very big mistakes. Then Kromer thought so high of Demby he was our main top reserve OL'er going into the season. All three moves were a disaster!

I realize the Rams were forced into those situations after throwing big $$$ contracts to 2018/2019 ...$135 for Donald, $134 for Goff, $80 mil for Cooks:censored:, $58 mil. for Gurley, $32 mil for Havenstein & $29 mil for Higbee.......but what really hurts is NONE of the above offensive Ram players had good yrs.

yep !! And your only as good as the guys in front of you.

That all said though Bonified. I think The Rams are set if Whitworth (when) resigns. I know you & others didn’t even think he would get through his 3 year contract & his play slipped. Go look at the end of the season & how much fun he was gravitas well. I think he & Corbett lock up the Right Side & just build on there communication. Yes Corbett needs to get stronger, but he is a smart guy.

Allen - never liked the pick. Blythe was always there. When The Rams had Sullivan coming back as well. Cutting Sullivan for Allen sucked.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I realize the Rams were forced into those situations after throwing big $$$ contracts to 2018/2019 ...$135 for Donald, $134 for Goff, $80 mil for Cooks:censored:, $58 mil. for Gurley, $32 mil for Havenstein & $29 mil for Higbee.......but what really hurts is NONE of the above offensive Ram players had good yrs.

i thought Higbee had a very good year. but I agree that way to often player sign big contract and then don't earn them

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

What are the options for the Rams and offensive lineman Austin Blythe in 2020?

Offensive lineman Austin Blythe joined the Los Angeles Rams via waivers in 2017. Cut by the Indianapolis Colts that year after playing eight games in 2016, he went on to play in 47 out of 48 regular season games in three seasons with L.A.

Blythe was especially important to the Rams offensive line that endured an uncharacteristic amount of injuries this season. The former Iowa standout began the season as the team's starting right guard, then moved over to center after Brian Allen suffered a season-ending knee injury in Week 10. Blythe's poise helped the Rams adjust and eventually allow a league-low 22 sacks.

Now, Blythe is scheduled to become a free agent when the new league year arrives March 18. So what are the options for both him and the Rams this offseason?

Los Angeles can of course re-sign him. If he departs, there are couple options internally for L.A. to replace him.
The one that immediately comes to mind is Allen, who was the team's starting center prior to that injury, once healthy.

Another possibility could be Austin Corbett. While he played left tackle in college, his pre-draft evaluation indicated he was capable of transition to an interior spot along the offensive line. He took over starting left guard duties after flipping positions with rookie David Edwards and held his own there, but the Rams also haven't gotten a chance to see him play center yet.

Given how Blythe's versatility and communication helped the Rams overcome injuries to their offensive line, though, a return would be beneficial to both him and the organization – whether it's at center or guard. At a minimum, his experience would be helpful for a line that lacked it in the early stages of the 2019 season.
But only as a center and not as a guard.

We need the BEEF at guard.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
just shows the depth The Rams have & how Kromer cross trains the Lineman. Some Ram fans forget the French Wine Coach from years past. He was the worst.

I hear some Ram fans say Kromer sucks it is his fault. I know the last 2 seasons The Rams depth was just as bad if not worse ??

So good point of Edwards playing Tackle. That’s all good. I actually have been a HUGE Big Rob Havenstien OG FAN !! He is such an excellent run blocker & gets down field well. His biggest problem to me is moving his feet for an outside pass rush.
I would hope that our 6-8 330 plus Lbs veteran RT continues to rehab his knee injury. Rob Havenstein is a prototype NFL RT not OG. Rob knows he will either get his weight back down & his very big body back in top pass protection condition this Rams off season..or he will be cutbait in 2021. I am 100% sure we will not see Rob playing OG.

Rob's started off main working partner on that right side was dinky 6-2 295 lbs Blythe. Blythe started the season out with damage worn shoulders & went down very early in the Saints game with damaged soft tissue injury ankle. Meaning Rob had to play with first yr zero experience Jamil Demby @ RG for about 1 3/4 gms. Demby was awful playing RG.

Blythe was on the injured list wk 4 & DNP until Friday. Blythe has a noticeably heavy limp when he ran out with the offense to play the Bucs. Blythe & Allen were blown up all day by Suh & that Buc's DL. Blythe played through the Rams 3 straight losses with a balky ankle. But in wk #6 Noteboom went down & Demby went in with Demby @ LG & Broken down Blythe @ RG along with "fail mode" Allen @ center the interior OL was in shambles.

Rob was destroyed by DE Shaquil Barrett most all day. The photo below was when Barrett hit Goff which caused a fumble picked up by Suh that Rob trying to hold Barrett hand. That's Allen & Blythe watching Suh run by to scoop up Goff fumble.
1580829403325.png

Rob last finished gm was wk#8 & it was evident that Rob pass protection skills were gone & need of total refurbishing. The right side combo of Havenstein/ Blythe should never be utilized again.(n):sick:

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
But only as a center and not as a guard.

We need the BEEF at guard.
I posted yesterday on Blythe. I would not consider signing Blythe with the ideal of him being a starter in any of the Rams OL posts. If he was signed it would be with the plan to blend this veteran in with our youthful OL'ers.

I would consider him as a RESERVE ONLY element for the 2020 OL as the #8 OL'er position. Blythe has some positives:

#1-Knowlegde of the Kromer's blocking schemes.
#2-Young Veteran who has started for two seasons
#3-Versatile OL'er who has lined up & played four OL posts in the NFL, but his only real serviceable skill is @ OC.

I am sure that Blythe is not looking to sign a contract for a reserve position in the NFL but a nice pay increase & a starting position.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would hope that our 6-8 330 plus Lbs veteran RT continues to rehab his knee injury. Rob Havenstein is a prototype NFL RT not OG. Rob knows he will either get his weight back down & his very big body back in top pass protection condition this Rams off season..or he will be cutbait in 2021. I am 100% sure we will not see Rob playing OG.

Rob's started off main working partner on that right side was dinky 6-2 295 lbs Blythe. Blythe started the season out with damage worn shoulders & went down very early in the Saints game with damaged soft tissue injury ankle. Meaning Rob had to play with first yr zero experience Jamil Demby @ RG for about 1 3/4 gms. Demby was awful playing RG.

Blythe was on the injured list wk 4 & DNP until Friday. Blythe has a noticeably heavy limp when he ran out with the offense to play the Bucs. Blythe & Allen were blown up all day by Suh & that Buc's DL. Blythe played through the Rams 3 straight losses with a balky ankle. But in wk #6 Noteboom went down & Demby went in with Demby @ LG & Broken down Blythe @ RG along with "fail mode" Allen @ center the interior OL was in shambles.

Rob was destroyed by DE Shaquil Barrett most all day. The photo below was when Barrett hit Goff which caused a fumble picked up by Suh that Rob trying to hold Barrett hand. That's Allen & Blythe watching Suh run by to scoop up Goff fumble.
View attachment 33770

Rob last finished gm was wk#8 & it was evident that Rob pass protection skills were gone & need of total refurbishing. The right side combo of Havenstein/ Blythe should never be utilized again.(n):sick:

well say what you want. Was never of Blythe starting at RG even the Super Bowl season. —HATED Demby since his first training camp. Demby got cut like I thought he should have been.Lost at Rod bet basically saying Williams would beat him out. You’ve been a supporter of him until he showed how bad he was.
-I’ve always been a Blythe fan as a swing C/G. I’ve also liked the idea of Big Rob playing RG. Maybe you thoughts are different, but I could see it happening.
- Big Whit will be back next season as well !!! As much as you want to talk about him being old. You never thought he would get through his 3 seasons as a starter way back. Believed Saffold was the Back up LT which he never was when Whitworth went down during a game.

—Like I have said is The Rams will not sign any real FA or draft pick this off season. They are going to build within.Your the one talking about Chandler Brewer. He is listed as the only Guard which makes me wonder why ??
What about Shelton Coleman being on the roster all season as well ?? Like The Rams are drafting a young CENTER ( LOL)
That is for all those in that thinking.Nate Trewyn was kept on the PS with Kolone as well who can maybe play Center ??
I’ll even say Demby will be given a chance to make the squad again ?? It will be his Third season with The Rams , and I’d say is better than he has been the last 2 seasons.
—BTW - Brian Allen was never benched by The Rams so will see what his future will be. I’m sure he will be hungry to get better. His brother took awhile to get better.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Three things about our OL options as of today.

Corbett might just beat out all comers to become our starting C. No less an authority than Kromer himself has said that he thinks C might be Corbett’s best position.

I’m not the biggest Blythe fan but I will say this. Imagine how good his play at C might have been if he hadn’t been limited by a bum ankle AND two shoulder injuries that required post season surgeries.

Hav’s struggles in ‘19 were probably a result of reporting out of shape (unforgivable) and injuries. So, is it not reasonable to assume that he could regain his ‘18 form if he reports healthy and in shape?

All in all, I suspect that Kromer might be a lot more comfortable with the OL situation than most fans are.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Bringing back both Blythe and Whit would be the definition of insanity.

It would also tell me we need a new GM, but of course the Rams will require another disappointing season in order to see that. And on the heels of another disappointing season will be an increase of anti-McVay sentiment in the fan base and media and probably an eventual parting of ways for one of the best coaching hires we've ever had.

Rams under Georgia Shaw & Ziggy (sounds like a bad band name doesn't it lol) dismantled their Super Bowl window with poor personnel moves. Poor decision making on the basics is like laying a bad foundation for a building one brick at a time. IMO standing pat on this offensive line will impede our ability to contend in 2020 as well as to sustain contender status.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Three things about our OL options as of today.

Corbett might just beat out all comers to become our starting C. No less an authority than Kromer himself has said that he thinks C might be Corbett’s best position.

I’m not the biggest Blythe fan but I will say this. Imagine how good his play at C might have been if he hadn’t been limited by a bum ankle AND two shoulder injuries that required post season surgeries.

Hav’s struggles in ‘19 were probably a result of reporting out of shape (unforgivable) and injuries. So, is it not reasonable to assume that he could regain his ‘18 form if he reports healthy and in shape?

All in all, I suspect that Kromer might be a lot more comfortable with the OL situation than most fans are.
I'm open to the idea of Corbett competing at center as well but if he's needed elsewhere that's fine too. Also it'd rather not have Blythe back unless he's a backup. Maybe the ankle and two shoulder injuries hurt his performance or maybe he's becoming injury prone. Who knows, but I don't think this line gets to where it needs to be with him being a part of it. I'd rather look else where just in case.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
As a former Blythe defender, I can't justify re-signing him. Just too physically-weak.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
As a former Blythe defender, I can't justify re-signing him. Just too physically-weak.

Don’t be surprised if he does though.He has been a solid backup c/g for Kromer & then a starter the last 2 seasons as well. Playing hurt & leading the Offensive Line at the end of the season. I think I have one game tape to check out??
I just think Continuity is a huge thing right now for the Rams offense of line. Whether I’m right or wrong it’s just a concept I think the Rams coaching staff believes in.
I also believe that there are a lot of ram fans to think with the offense of line the sky is falling. It was Rough season when death finally caught up to this team. I think the depth is now on the roster with an extra year of experience.
With the coaching staff thinks of Brian Allen will play a huge part in Weather flight comes back or not.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
5 reasons LA Rams OL goes from rags to riches
by Bret Stuter -February 17, 2020
1581960910258.png

Fans believe the LA Rams must add to their offensive line to fix it for the 2020 season. But the Rams offensive linemen will go from rags to riches in 2020

The LA Rams did not perform well in the 2019 season. Ask anyone what the problem was, and you will get the exact same answer. The offensive line. The 2018 Super Bowl LIII team boasted left tackle Andrew Whitworth, left guard Rodger Saffold, center John Sullivan, right guard Austin Blythe, right tackle Rob Havenstein. Immediately following that season, the Rams lost Saffold to free agency and failed to make Sullivan an offer to return.

The result? The Rams started the 2019 season with first-time starters Brian Allen at the center, and Joseph Noteboom at left guard. That was not a very well thought out plan, on so many levels.

Meanwhile, the Rams drafted two offensive linemen, OT Bobby Evans and OT David Edwards to backfill the team’s depth chart. Two out, two in, the “balance” was restored. In the eyes of the front office, the Rams had accomplished their part. Now, it was up to the coaching staff to prepare the young men for the season.

Both Brian Allen and Joseph Noteboom had arrived at the team in 2018 via the NFL Draft. Noteboom was a significant investment for the Rams, garnering a third-round pick. Allen required a fourth-round pick. One year of apprenticeship, and then promoted to a starting role on a defending NFC champion.

The balance disturbed
But neither Allen or Noteboom seemed to be ready. Or perhaps it was sending two new players side by side to start in the NFL which resonated confusion, overthinking and poorer decision making. In any case, the Rams won their first three games, but they were not winning in LA Rams style. In Todd Gurley‘s first three games, he rushed for 97 yards, 63 yards, and 43 yards respectively.

Finally, the Rams faced a dreadful trap game in the 1-2 Tampa Bay Buccaneers at home. While Todd Gurley led the Rams with just 16 rushing yards, quarterback Jared Goff torched the Bucs for 517 yards in the air. Until that game, the Rams had sustained a rather balanced offensive attack. But in this game, the Rams rushed 11 times and passed 68 times. Balance, schmalance. On that day, in that game, the Rams forgot their identity.

And then, injuries began to happen. Allen’s and Noteboom’s seasons ended early, forcing the Rams to promote Evans and Edwards to starting roles. Blythe was injured temporarily, forcing the Rams to trade with the Cleveland Browns for offensive guard Austin Corbett. When Blythe returned, he took over at center allowing Corbett to slide in at his more natural guard position. Havenstein fell to injury, which prompted the Rams to sign C Coleman Shelton from the Arizona Cardinals practice squad.

Draft a baker’s dozen
This season, the LA Rams will likely re-sign left tackle Andrew Whitworth, solving the questions at that position, but creating new questions for the Rams. What will the team do with all these offensive linemen? Historically, the Rams carry eight offensive linemen on the 53-man roster. So, looking ahead, who will the team choose? Even before the Rams go to the NFL Draft, there is already a surplus of offensive linemen.

The Rams currently have David Edwards, Bobby Evans, Rob Havenstein, Austin Corbett, Joe Noteboom, Brian Allen, Chandler Brewer, Nate Trewyn, Jamil Demby, and Jeremiah Kolone. As the Rams add Whitworth back to the fold and have the option to re-sign center Coleman Shelton for cheap, the Rams suddenly have 12 offensive linemen the team is familiar with, many of whom have served in a starter’s role in 2019.

From the moment the LA Rams draft a player, they will effectively be adding a 13th lineman to the list. Or worse yet, sign a free agent beyond Andrew Whitworth. To the fans, the team must assure themselves of a solid and NFL ready offensive line in 2020. To the Rams’ front office? The team’s roster is complete chaos.

In theory, the Rams now have a group of average players. David Edwards, Bobby Evans, Rob Havenstein, Austin Corbett, Joe Noteboom, and Brian Allen all have NFL starter experience. But at the end of training camp, when the team must whittle down the line to a 53-man roster, at least two of those players won’t be with the team any longer. The front office should wisely try to convert that experience into other NFL currency – draft picks.

Reason 1 – Some must go
NFL teams, like any other professional sports organization, are set up to process larger numbers of players efficiently into their systems. But do not confuse efficient with effective. For teams with more than their contingent of draft picks, or a significant number or roster openings at the same position, training camps are not set up to coach up each individual player.

Teams rely upon varying degrees of experience, both the NFL and the team, to assist new rookies to learn how everything works. Too few rookies and the pipeline of new talent dries up. Too many young rookies and the staff are overwhelmed.

This season, the Rams simply haven’t enough slots for offensive linemen for NFL newcomers. In fact, the Rams have far too many players at the same level to distinguish first string to third string. The Rams depth chart will be a nightmare to sort out. With the exception of Andrew Whitworth, virtually all four offensive line positions are completely up in the air.

So what? The key to good offensive line play is repetitions. Each member of the starting five must know and understand instinctively what each of the other four members is doing in real-time as the play unfolds in front of them. The team cannot use all of the training camp sessions to sort through a depth chart.

Reason 2 – Who to coach up?
How do you draft to improve the team without a clear handle on who of the linemen can step up, and who cannot? Draft picks are valuable commodities, and the Rams must decide among the coaching staff which players need more time, and which players have peaked in terms of their ability to play better.

Those are incredibly difficult discussions to hold among a coaching staff where the majority of players in the discussion have started a partial NFL season. Assuming the Rams fall back to their most senior status on the team, the coaches will favor starting Andrew Whitworth at left tackle, Austin Corbett and left guard, Brian Allen (if he is healthy enough) at the center, David Edwards at right guard, and Rob Havenstein at right tackle.

So that’s settled. Or is it? Joe Noteboom struggled in 2019, but he was a college left tackle. Should he become Andrew Whitworth’s heir apparent? Do the Rams want to count on Brian Allen at the center position, knowing he is returning from a knee injury? Shouldn’t the team give the opportunity to a healthy Coleman Shelton? The offensive line has so many moving parts that position competitions must be fierce but quick.

Reason 3 – Trade value
The LA Rams know full well what the trade value of an NFL starting offensive lineman can be in a pinch. After all, the Rams were squeezed by the Cleveland Browns for a 2021 NFL draft fifth-round pick.

The NFL knows that the NFL Draft is a crapshoot. 32 teams will attempt to draft multiple offensive linemen in the NFL Draft. But the 2020 NFL Scouting Combine has only invited 52 offensive linemen to attend the event. The difference will be made up among the ranks of undrafted free agent offensive linemen.

The Rams will hold a surplus of offensive linemen throughout training camp all the way to preseason games. But unless the team commits early to retain more than eight offensive linemen in the 53 man roster, the trade value of those linemen will fall to nothing from the moment the first roster cuts begin.

Even sending linemen to the team’s practice squad can be openly and legally poached by other teams at will. For the Rams to realize the value of their investments into the offensive line, they should be open to trade surplus players throughout the summer to whichever team is in need of reinforcements.

Reason 4 NFL game experience is valuable
With all the work, effort, exercise, and training throughout organized team activities, nothing simulates the actual experience of an NFL game. That means a great deal to front offices who shop to add depth throughout an NFL season.

NFL games are recorded. Each play is available for analysis. It’s not poorly recorded video, testimony from a friend of a friend, or a sketchy scouting sheet. It’s replicable video evidence to show anyone in the organization. Errors can be instantly diagnosed as fixable or not. Effort can be observed. It’s shareable information throughout the decision making process.

For the player, it’s instant feedback to improve all the training, weight-room work, exercise, sports conditioning. It adds immediate emphasis to a player regarding what they do well enough, and what they need to continue to improve upon.

Once in an NFL game as a starter, everything changes. And for the Rams, five players broke into that select group of players. The challenge is that each will want more. As it stands, the Rams will likely only have opportunities for two or three to earn a starting role in 2020.

Reason 5 – They’re not done improving
First-time offensive linemen in the NFL take time to mature and play well. For the 2019 NFL Draft, six offensive linemen were selected in the first round. These were the best of the class, the most heavily scouted and evaluated group of offensive linemen to become NFL starters. How did they do? Of those six: Kaleb McGary, Tytus Howard, Garrett Bradbury, Chris Lindstrom, Jonah Williams, and Andre Dillard, they averaged a mere 49.4 from PFF for their first year’s average grade. Even if factoring out OT Jonah Williams no score, this group of first-round selections averaged just 59.3.

For the six Rams players who saw action for the first time, and selected several rounds later, they averaged 51.45 for the year. Center Brian Allen scored 58.6, while right guard David Edwards scored a 61.0.

Even players who struggled mightily in 2019 like Joseph Noteboom have had plenty of time to process the blur of information he confronted as the starter for the Rams. So many fans form instant decisions about players from such a small sampling, particularly when that decision is negative. Players practice and improve. If the top draft picks barely tilt move the needle in their first season, you can bet other players with fewer natural athletic abilities will use the time to improve their second season in the NFL dramatically.

Even left guard Rodger Saffold had down seasons. His 2015 season graded at just 51.0 from PFF. He graded at 72.6 in 2016, and 80.3 in 2017. Not all of the LA Rams offensive linemen will improve as dramatically. In fact, not all will improve. But some will. And perhaps one or two will land in the 70+ or 80+ range at the end of the 2020 season.

We’ve said it before. Patience is the most important factor required for the LA Rams offensive line now. As the team works to improve the offensive line play, don’t be surprised if the team trades a player or two to another NFL team. The Rams offensive line is about to go from rags to riches.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
g
5 reasons LA Rams OL goes from rags to riches
by Bret Stuter -February 17, 2020

OK, I read about the 'rags' part, but must have missed the 'riches' section.

As i've mentioned a few times earlier, the Rams have to decide whether they are going to be a developmental team in 2020, or are they going to shoot for another opportunity to go deep into the play-offs ? Our current OL situation might point to being closer to the developmental side of the scale, although another option to turn things around in a quicker fashion would be thru free agency.
Spending big money on Whitworth hardly makes sense if we choose to add, start & rely on more rookies to our already young OL if we are in a win now mode. McSnead got us to the Super Bowl with 2017 free agents (Whitworth, Sullivan) and 2018 trades (Cooks, Fowler). I'm afraid the Rams will need to make a similar commitment to our 2020 OL if they wish to make another run for the roses.
jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Rams currently have David Edwards, Bobby Evans, Rob Havenstein, Austin Corbett, Joe Noteboom, Brian Allen, Chandler Brewer, Nate Trewyn, Jamil Demby, and Jeremiah Kolone. As the Rams add Whitworth back to the fold and have the option to re-sign center Coleman Shelton for cheap, the Rams suddenly have 12 offensive linemen the team is familiar with, many of whom have served in a starter’s role in 2019.
Nice read Boni but gotta say that when the staff looks at the depth chart I doubt they're assigning the same value to all those guys. I could care less who's been in a "starter's role" in and of itself because that is far too simplistic a way to view a lineman. There's a lot more to it than that IMO.

Some are looked at as core starters moving forward (Edwards & Evans) as they were in their first season, rushed into the lineup, and still did some good things. Question is where to put them, where are they best served and how does that jive with the rest of the puzzle.

Others are question marks with significant issues in their game. Noteboom needs drastic improvement in the run game, Allen needs drastic improvement in the passing game and line calls, Havenstein needs to demonstrate he can handle the speed rush that dismantled his season, and so on. They're closer to being starters than the rest from that perspective, that the Rams know where they need to improve.

Some are guys who are still longshots to be anything other than depth players. Corbett needs to demonstrate better consistency snap to snap to stick on the roster of a Super Bowl contender which IS what the Rams are (from a GM standpoint as he stacks this roster). Showing the Rams he can play center would be huge for him but doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a starter. Brewer is a board favorite but is in this same rough area too, as is Kolone and Trewyn to lesser extents (bigger longshots).

Only guy I have flushed in terms of projecting his future is Demby who was in way over his head at this level. Doesn't mean he can't beast out over the offseason and make himself a part of things. But from a PLANNING perspective you cannot rely on him as a roster answer.

In terms of converting surplus to picks, that only applies to Havenstein. Who, btw, has a lot of value to us with his affordable deal IF he can rebound. So he's a guy who could burn a GM where you move him and he rebounds elsewhere.

This offseason when the Rams add a couple more to the OL room that churn will continue and chances are the bottom types are gonna lose their roster spots to them. So IMO there aren't a lot of guys who are safe coming off a poor season like we had last year. And yes, 9-7 is a winning record which is amazing we're calling it a poor season but it was and will be from McVay's perspective. The line improving is not a question, it's going to improve they are not going to say "oh look at all these possibilities let's give them another chance." That is not realistic at the NFL level IMO.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

View attachment 33770

That’s my point on moving Rob Hav inside. He is an excellent blocker. Everyone an say what they want about his size & talk crap about Kromer. Will see if it happens, but Boone from Ohio St. played well as a LG.So it is not a stretch, plus he played well there when he crossed trained. It was Jamin Brown who could play RT

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
g

OK, I read about the 'rags' part, but must have missed the 'riches' section.

As i've mentioned a few times earlier, the Rams have to decide whether they are going to be a developmental team in 2020, or are they going to shoot for another opportunity to go deep into the play-offs ? Our current OL situation might point to being closer to the developmental side of the scale, although another option to turn things around in a quicker fashion would be thru free agency.
Spending big money on Whitworth hardly makes sense if we choose to add, start & rely on more rookies to our already young OL if we are in a win now mode. McSnead got us to the Super Bowl with 2017 free agents (Whitworth, Sullivan) and 2018 trades (Cooks, Fowler). I'm afraid the Rams will need to make a similar commitment to our 2020 OL if they wish to make another run for the roses.
jmo.

I’ll counter of course,drinking the Kool-aide

Whitworth?? As it stated & even yourself about signing Whitworth, plus being the key veteran ofthe group. Even Roger Saffold benefited from Sullivan as well.

Young lineman. Goff states The Rams missed the playoffs by a few plays. We can go back to the other seasons & day what if.
I’ll say what if The Rams don’t sign CJ Anderson?? He meant a lot to the Super Bowl run to say the least.

—Talk about B. COOKS !!! FREAKING he is totally PISSED !! Look for him to have his BEST season as a Ram !!! We can blame Kromer like everyone wants to,but now he is more of anO”Line coach again. As it was stated about coaching players,reps, & veteran leadership.

It’s going to be New Play caller in a sense. Mcvay will have less say in the plays,or more trusted support.He will be more involved in all aspects of The Rams.Bones & Wade he let go of the lease & now is taking tighter control of those areas as he loosens up on the O” .

This article keeps talking about trading O” Lineman & other teams taking from the practice squad. Sounds like a good problem. I just wonder about Blythe being resigned ?? Puts good Competition at the center spOt

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Nice read Boni but gotta say that when the staff looks at the depth chart I doubt they're assigning the same value to all those guys. I could care less who's been in a "starter's role" in and of itself because that is far too simplistic a way to view a lineman. There's a lot more to it than that IMO.

Some are looked at as core starters moving forward (Edwards & Evans) as they were in their first season, rushed into the lineup, and still did some good things. Question is where to put them, where are they best served and how does that jive with the rest of the puzzle.

Others are question marks with significant issues in their game. Noteboom needs drastic improvement in the run game, Allen needs drastic improvement in the passing game and line calls, Havenstein needs to demonstrate he can handle the speed rush that dismantled his season, and so on. They're closer to being starters than the rest from that perspective, that the Rams know where they need to improve.

Some are guys who are still longshots to be anything other than depth players. Corbett needs to demonstrate better consistency snap to snap to stick on the roster of a Super Bowl contender which IS what the Rams are (from a GM standpoint as he stacks this roster). Showing the Rams he can play center would be huge for him but doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a starter. Brewer is a board favorite but is in this same rough area too, as is Kolone and Trewyn to lesser extents (bigger longshots).

Only guy I have flushed in terms of projecting his future is Demby who was in way over his head at this level. Doesn't mean he can't beast out over the offseason and make himself a part of things. But from a PLANNING perspective you cannot rely on him as a roster answer.

In terms of converting surplus to picks, that only applies to Havenstein. Who, btw, has a lot of value to us with his affordable deal IF he can rebound. So he's a guy who could burn a GM where you move him and he rebounds elsewhere.

This offseason when the Rams add a couple more to the OL room that churn will continue and chances are the bottom types are gonna lose their roster spots to them. So IMO there aren't a lot of guys who are safe coming off a poor season like we had last year. And yes, 9-7 is a winning record which is amazing we're calling it a poor season but it was and will be from McVay's perspective. The line improving is not a question, it's going to improve they are not going to say "oh look at all these possibilities let's give them another chance." That is not realistic at the NFL level IMO.

You always make value points. I look at things different than a lot of fans.

Going from your standpoint. No Position is set & the depth is still a big question mark.

1. Not about drafting or getting younger. This O”Line is young enough and need to develop these 22 year olds. As I keep saying with Edwards,Brewer,& Evans all being JR.’s .
Where would they be drafted if coming out in 2020 ??
2. Cross train & break players down. I think Kromer will do this more than ever.
A. Big Rob inside because of his excellent run blocking & can actually use his long arms as a plus. He can get low as well inside.(knee bends)
B. Evens might even be better on the left side. Always believed LG suits him best.
C. Edwards could be a solid RT ?? His length & hands inside are not great. Still a excellent cross train RT/RG
D. Corbett could maybe move to center ? Smart guy, but a good OG/C ??
C. Brewer is a young guy that The Rams can move around.

A veteran could still be in the calling ?? Will
See what happens, but if not OTA’s will be interesting.

Mcvay has been lucky in years past. He now knows the importance of depth up front, so
we will get a good idea on The Rams thinking in about 3 weeks.

oldnotdead

Legend
Anyone who thinks they are giving up on Allen is fooling themselves. They also have Shelton who is far better than Blythe the most overrated scrub on this team.

manmaderam

The one and only
Eric Kush got released from the Browns. He was pretty decent when we had him before and I like his name for personal reasons... lol

But what would you guys think of picking Eric Kush back up again?