Rams talking to Austin Blythe about remaining with team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm not gonna get too analytical with the OLine because who knows what growth a year brings?

Evans replaced Hav and started out great. Folks jumped on the Evans bandwagon...but towards the end he showed some flaws. No one's perfect. He did a good job.

An Oline is just like a player...you go with what they do best...BUT...how many times did we see run plays that you knew before the snap, they weren't going to work? In my mind, that's bad play calling. If we can see it won't work...seems McVay should see it too...

Let whatever moves they make stand...but be careful what you ask for!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Pro Bowl level?
I'd say he's a second-stringer at best.
And of course, I was referring to his play as a Guard.
I would say he's an above-average Center which is all you really need if he plays mistake-free.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
With OTA’s and a full offseason for Evans & Edwards I can see a lot of improvement.

— Can The Rams trade Big Rob ???
His contract is up but if we do re-sign him I would hope it would be at vet minimum and they would try to work somebody else at left tackle.

He's at that age where he could have a big fall off in a short period of time.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Evans replaced Hav and started out great. Folks jumped on the Evans bandwagon...but towards the end he showed some flaws. No one's perfect. He did a good job.

An Oline is just like a player...you go with what they do best...BUT...how many times did we see run plays that you knew before the snap, they weren't going to work? In my mind, that's bad play calling. If we can see it won't work...seems McVay should see it too...

Corbett & Evans were primarily LT's at the college level, so it's no wonder that as rookies cast into unfamiliar roles they might excel in pass pro and be something less as run blockers. Edwards transitioned from TE to RT, and based on size and background, perhaps more similar to Havenstein, both players coming out of Wisconsin. Blythe we already knew as a weak run blocker. The interior OL is most problematic, and we're likely to see some real change at all 3 positions for 2020. Cancer survivor Chandler Brewer was our best OG during the pre-season but has mainly been used as a reserve OT since being brought up from the practice squad. Our OL is a kids game of 'musical chairs' at the moment, but eventually the coaching staff will be more capable of placing players into their strongest positions rather than just trying to plug holes as players fall victim to injury.
If the Rams manage to tag & trade Fowler for a high pick, don't rule out Noteboom competing at RT while a new LT type spends a year behind Whitworth, then he and Noteboom could compete for both OT positions in 2021. jmo.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
His contract is up but if we do re-sign him I would hope it would be at vet minimum and they would try to work somebody else at left tackle.

He's at that age where he could have a big fall off in a short period of time.

Whitworth at a Vet minimum ?? Byltye ??

what happens with Big Rob ??

Who do The Rams cut & who do they bring in ???

To me the numbers lay in favor of trying to keep continuity by cross training these young guys as they develop. Isn’t this why The Rams drafting all these young lineman ??
Whitworth is a mentor & needs to be resigned at NFL value on the open market.
— This is how Snead(Demoff) & Mcvay work. Go explore the open market & let’s make it a win win signing, if not resign somewhere else if your not going to be happy. The Rams want a happy solid lockeroom. We not Me !!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

What are the options for the Rams and offensive lineman Austin Blythe in 2020?

Offensive lineman Austin Blythe joined the Los Angeles Rams via waivers in 2017. Cut by the Indianapolis Colts that year after playing eight games in 2016, he went on to play in 47 out of 48 regular season games in three seasons with L.A.

Blythe was especially important to the Rams offensive line that endured an uncharacteristic amount of injuries this season. The former Iowa standout began the season as the team's starting right guard, then moved over to center after Brian Allen suffered a season-ending knee injury in Week 10. Blythe's poise helped the Rams adjust and eventually allow a league-low 22 sacks.

Now, Blythe is scheduled to become a free agent when the new league year arrives March 18. So what are the options for both him and the Rams this offseason?

Los Angeles can of course re-sign him. If he departs, there are couple options internally for L.A. to replace him.
The one that immediately comes to mind is Allen, who was the team's starting center prior to that injury, once healthy.

Another possibility could be Austin Corbett. While he played left tackle in college, his pre-draft evaluation indicated he was capable of transition to an interior spot along the offensive line. He took over starting left guard duties after flipping positions with rookie David Edwards and held his own there, but the Rams also haven't gotten a chance to see him play center yet.

Given how Blythe's versatility and communication helped the Rams overcome injuries to their offensive line, though, a return would be beneficial to both him and the organization – whether it's at center or guard. At a minimum, his experience would be helpful for a line that lacked it in the early stages of the 2019 season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

OL Austin Blythe
After a strong 2018 season, Blythe — like majority of the Rams’ offense — took a big step back in 2019, though some of his regression may be due to a nagging injury which resulted in surgery on both shoulders this past week.

Blythe started the season at right guard and eventually worked his way to center after a myriad of offensive line injuries, ultimately playing his best ball at the center position. Still, Blythe only registered a 50.5 PFF grade, though he did play 90% of the offensive snaps and was flagged only three times on the season.

Blythe is far from a “sure thing”, but the Rams may elect to ensure some continuity on the offensive line with his re-signing.

Ram65

Legend
I don't see a big market for Blythe at all. Rams can let him test the waters first then resign him as a backup. Sure let him compete but, from what we have seen he is NOT very good. @BonifayRam showed that 50.5 PFF grade which is terrible.

oldnotdead

Legend
The only option is to let Blythe go. He's the weak link for the last 2 years. They have better in Shelton and Allen and even Corbett if need be.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Man - we are all over the map on the oline.

Let Whit walk - he's going downhill. Get rid of Rob - he sucks.
Blythe is better than Allen, who graded out better than Sullivan, at least strengthwise.
Noteboom is a disappointment, and even if he wasn't, he won't be ready next year.
Corbett must suck if the Browns let him walk.
Evans has been exposed - got us all excited and regressed.
Brewer can outplay everybody if he just gets a chance, while Demby should be flipping burgers.
Edwards seems to be the only lineman everybody is positive about.

Kromer needs to go - all of a sudden can't coach. He did OK last year though, when he
had better, more experienced players. Funny that. Maybe Snead/McVay simply told him, we're doing this and that, and you have to work with the guys you have, regardless of experience.

And my favorite - just go get a (fill in the blank here) - problem solved.

Not that I have any answers, just some questions and conjecture. If Whitworth did indeed take a step back, as all the evidence supports, was it all on him, or a combination of losing Saffold next to him, replaced by an out-of-position rookie, and/or having a bad knee needing surgery.

And WTF happened to Rob? Probably us not running as much, which he seems to be better at than pass pro. How does somebody regress that bad/quickly?

I don't think TG was on a pitch count at the end of last year. I do (perhaps naively), believe McVay when he says the individual games dictated the pass/run ratio. What DID cross my mind this year was that after seeing how bad the oline was playing, and realizing we had to keep TG at LEAST another 3 years, McVay decided to really cut back his use so he wouldn't get totally destroyed this year.

If AW comes back under $10M, I think we're OK next year with our current linemen/back-ups, but if not, then we probably need to lose BOTH Littleton and Fowler to beef up the line.

One of my favorite sayings is:
"If you have integrity, nothing else matters; if you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".
IMO, in the NFL, you can substitute 'a decent oline' for integrity.

Totally OT, (and I know there are threads on each of these, but I'm lazy), i'm pretty much sixes on both Wade and Bones being gone even though they were both class guys and I'll miss them.

Cheers.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Man - we are all over the map on the oline.
We are indeed and for good reason... There's a lot of different ways to approach 2020 and many of them have potential to work.

Keeping Whit for example. From 2018 to 2019 there was noticeable dropoff but would he be better than whoever else we would have in there if we don't keep him? Maybe so. What we don't know is what he'll cost. I think it's safe to say that most posters here would be ok with him coming back IF they can afford him, but if they do make sure there's a strong plan B in the event he falls off that cliff.

Havenstein looked terrible vs the speed rush prior to his injury. Now that said the QB couldn't step up because of poor interior pass pro so how much of that affected him? Personally I think his future might be at guard where his feet are protected but who knows. QB being able to step up in the pocket changes that equation with him, either way. What do the Rams think? That's a big deal right now tbh.

I have to say once again that I think the Rams believe their LT is on the roster. Because otherwise I doubt they would have traded 2x first round picks for Ramsey. So whatever they do I think they have two core pieces for the future in Evans and Edwards, maybe in Corbett too. Havenstein is sort of an unknown at this point irt how or whether he fits in to the plan. If they can add a good FA like Scherff that means they have three core pieces for sure, maybe four, not to mention the fact a guy like him makes the two guys lining up next to him better. Add Whit on a short term deal and maybe we're in business.

But all that aside I do think they have to finish the OL rebuild. Whit & Sully were short term signings for McVay and worked out very well. But for the long term where is this unit going? It's chaos right now in a lot of ways. So if they can hit on a lineman or two things will look a lot better but rookies gonna be rookies when you draft/develop outside early rounds in a lot of cases.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The 1 Free Agent Every NFL Team Must Let Walk Away This Offseason

Los Angeles Rams: G Austin Blythe

Brad Gagnon
January 27, 2020
1580187509186.png

View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2872551-the-1-free-agent-every-nfl-team-must-let-walk-away-this-offseason#slide3

Austin Blythe started all 16 games at right guard during the Los Angeles Rams' 2018 Super Bowl season, and he showed off some versatility as a starter at both guard and center in 2019. But in both seasons he surrendered a lot of pressure and failed to help an interior offensive line that has become problematic in L.A.

The 2016 seventh-round pick appears to have his limitations, and that won't likely change as he approaches his 28th birthday. He's also coming off multiple shoulder surgeries.

Rather than re-upping the soon-to-be free agent, the Rams should move on as part of a necessary offensive line overhaul.

That won't be easy considering their lack of cap space and draft capital, but with all of their potential 2020 starting offensive linemen except Blythe and Andrew Whitworth under contract, the least they can do is avoid throwing new money at a liability. Guards like Blythe can be replaced in the middle rounds of the draft.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We are indeed and for good reason... There's a lot of different ways to approach 2020 and many of them have potential to work.

Keeping Whit for example. From 2018 to 2019 there was noticeable dropoff but would he be better than whoever else we would have in there if we don't keep him? Maybe so. What we don't know is what he'll cost. I think it's safe to say that most posters here would be ok with him coming back IF they can afford him, but if they do make sure there's a strong plan B in the event he falls off that cliff.

Havenstein looked terrible vs the speed rush prior to his injury. Now that said the QB couldn't step up because of poor interior pass pro so how much of that affected him? Personally I think his future might be at guard where his feet are protected but who knows. QB being able to step up in the pocket changes that equation with him, either way. What do the Rams think? That's a big deal right now tbh.

I have to say once again that I think the Rams believe their LT is on the roster. Because otherwise I doubt they would have traded 2x first round picks for Ramsey. So whatever they do I think they have two core pieces for the future in Evans and Edwards, maybe in Corbett too. Havenstein is sort of an unknown at this point irt how or whether he fits in to the plan. If they can add a good FA like Scherff that means they have three core pieces for sure, maybe four, not to mention the fact a guy like him makes the two guys lining up next to him better. Add Whit on a short term deal and maybe we're in business.

But all that aside I do think they have to finish the OL rebuild. Whit & Sully were short term signings for McVay and worked out very well. But for the long term where is this unit going? It's chaos right now in a lot of ways. So if they can hit on a lineman or two things will look a lot better but rookies gonna be rookies when you draft/develop outside early rounds in a lot of cases.

we all know the growin pains. Going to TC you could see how lost Evans & Edwards were. Noteboom & Allen were only in there
2nd year as well & starting for 2 Key veterans.
The experience Edwards,Evens,Corbett was pretty awesome moving forward.I’ll take not going to the playoffs this season for that. The Rams hit a FG against the 9ers this wouldnbe
More of a mute point.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

fearsomefour

Legend

OL Austin Blythe
After a strong 2018 season, Blythe — like majority of the Rams’ offense — took a big step back in 2019, though some of his regression may be due to a nagging injury which resulted in surgery on both shoulders this past week.

Blythe started the season at right guard and eventually worked his way to center after a myriad of offensive line injuries, ultimately playing his best ball at the center position. Still, Blythe only registered a 50.5 PFF grade, though he did play 90% of the offensive snaps and was flagged only three times on the season.

Blythe is far from a “sure thing”, but the Rams may elect to ensure some continuity on the offensive line with his re-signing.
Only three flags.....but it’s hard to hold when guys are blowing right by you.
The injuries may have played a role with Blythe, Hav and Whitworth this year.
Blythe would be a cheap resign and can off depth at all three interior line spots and perhaps compete for a starting C job.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams News: David Edwards Describes Rookie Season As ‘Crazy’
Published on 01/26/2020

1580228620690.png

The one area of the Los Angeles Rams that was the most inconsistent in 2019 was their offensive line. The Rams had the same five offensive linemen for all 16 games in 2018, but it seemingly became a revolving door up front this past season due to injuries and ineffectiveness.

Rob Havenstein only competed in nine games and Joseph Noteboom started six games before a season ending injury got the best of him, leaving multiple spots to be filled. After some shakeups, rookie David Edwards was thrust into the starting lineup at an unfamiliar position.

Edwards excelled as a right tackle with the University of Wisconsin but as injuries ravaged the Rams’ offensive line, he was asked to play both left and right guard, positions he had never played before.

In one word? Crazy. I came in and started cross-training in different positions. That was totally new to me. And then when Joe Noteboom got hurt, I got thrown in at left guard and never expected I would start games at guard, because I never played the position before. And then got moved to right guard. Just all the different things I did this year I never would have thought I could have done. So, it was cool. Looking back, if you had told me, preseason, you’re going to start games at guard, I’d have said no way. I’d never played it before. It was just really cool to be cross-training when I got here in OTAs and then see the work that I put in come to fruition. It was cool.

Crazy probably describes how most Rams fans felt about 2019 and the offensive line, in particular. While Edwards cannot be singled out as a reason the line was so heavily exploited, his position changing frequently likely did not help the team find its rhythm.

Despite all that, Edwards certainly appears to be a solid young player to build around. Although consistency at one position is certain to help him grow, as an offensive lineman he should get used to moving around to be more versatile. A full offseason as a pro should hopefully provide Edwards with the time to grow into an even better guard or tackle, where L.A. plays to put him long-term.
Good article find
So Ram!(y):giggle:

Kromer took a OT who had operated in one post for more than 3 seasons in college who had an injury issue for most of his senior season & made Edwards a promising starting RG/LG for the Rams in his rookie season.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kromer took a OT who had operated in one post for more than 3 seasons in college who had an injury issue for most of his senior season & made Edwards a promising starting RG/LG for the Rams in his rookie season.

Agreed. However, I still think his future is at one of the tackle spots.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Rams already took big lumps from growing pains. It’s about building of the youth. Big A.Whitworth needs to comeback in my book.He didn’t have a great season, but was also lineing up without the trust of Roger Saffold.

Kromer seriously miscalculated & gambled big on Noteboom's ability to temporarily team with Whitworth @ starting OG. Noteboom was not equal to Saffold not even close. Epic Fail! On the same vain Kromer also overestimated Allen's ability to start @ center too. Two very big mistakes. Then Kromer thought so high of Demby he was our main top reserve OL'er going into the season. All three moves were a disaster!

I realize the Rams were forced into those situations after throwing big $$$ contracts to 2018/2019 ...$135 for Donald, $134 for Goff, $80 mil for Cooks:censored:, $58 mil. for Gurley, $32 mil for Havenstein & $29 mil for Higbee.......but what really hurts is NONE of the above offensive Ram players had good yrs.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Agreed. However, I still think his future is at one of the tackle spots.
True the Rams are in deep :poop::poop::poop: at both starting OT posts who's main assignment is to keep our pretty slender immobile pocket passer from being molested on every passing play.

You may be right Edwards is near 6-7 with wide across the shoulder & has 33 1/2 inch arms, big hands & plays around 310/315 lbs sure has the size of an epitome NFL OT.

Edwards came out after his Jr. season. He is also an ex-Quarterback-turned-tight-end-turned-right-tackle in college. For the Rams he played mostly LT/RT in preseason but once the injuries hit the Rams starting OG's first Blythe then Noteboom add in Demby's disaster.... Edwards in no longer a back up Ram OT prospect but now a starting LG then RG for the Rams.

RamDino I tend to agree with you due to Edwards being really light on his feet, long, athletic OL'er who has flashed potential as a pass protector. Currently, the RT starting posts appears to be the best long term post for Edwards. However, Edwards might be impelled into LT duty early in this upcoming season.

Back to the RT post .....If Havenstein does not return to 2017/2018 playing form then Edwards is the perfect candidate to cause Havenstein to be cut very early in 2021 for salary cap savings in excess of $6 million.

Last edited: