Rams sign veteran Safety Eric Weddle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
But, but, but, where’s the beard?

"He shaves the beard, or I walk." -Jake McQuaide

I like the signing. We will draft a safety as well. Our team is more than competent. 2019 Rams will be a bit different personality. I can't wait to see the changes.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Excellent move. Might only play one year but that's all they need. On to other needs now.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
:blah:

The team didn’t move to LA to attract free agents and it’s not attractive because it’s in LA. It’s attractive because we are good and we are good because of McVay.

Will there be guys who grew up near the area who gravitate there, sure - that may happen a bit - and maybe even played into it here.

Would we be a free agent landing spot if we were 8-8 under Fisher but still in LA? No.

Let’s not act like the move solved our problems, McV solved them. Now if we could just have a home field advantage for home games, we could really be on to something.

Apologies, in advance, for the thread detour.

This is a really good signing and another LA-STL pissing match shouldn’t get in the way of that.
I'm in no way insulting st Louis.
Obviously the entire culture has changed since the coaching hire, but I still think Los Angeles, the new stadium and the marketing potential for players is a huge reason why they choose the rams .

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
The Rams just got better with this signing, on top of being great player he is like having another coach on the field.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm in no way insulting st Louis.
Obviously the entire culture has changed since the coaching hire, but I still think Los Angeles, the new stadium and the marketing potential for players is a huge reason why they choose the rams .

Then I would expect it to be equally effective for the Chargers, wouldn’t you?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Would it surprise anyone if Snead has a plan to draft a good number of tall outside corners & a rangy deep safety with some makeup speed on day three of the draft? So they can get a full season playing with two outstanding long term all pro's in the secondary...sorta like Whitworth & Sullivan did in 2017/2018?
Buh bye Joiner! Thank you for passion.Still have no clue what happened last season with you..
Me Either:eek::thinking::dizzy::rant::headexplosion:.....just glad LJ has gone on to greener pastures.
Like the signing but I just wish Weddle could convince C.J. Mosley to come with him!!!
I happen to really like CJ Mosley as a pro & since his college days....however.....
Why do you believe that CJ Mosley is a Wade D type Interior LB'er? Do you think it's smart monetarily to use the few available cap funds for an ILB'er when the Rams D has no real bona fide proven edge rusher or NT?

Last edited:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Grading the move: Eric Weddle to Rams makes perfect professional and personal sense By Lindsay Jones Mar 8, 2019
https://theathletic.com/858212/2019/03/08/nfl-free-agency-eric-weddle-rams-grade/

eric-weddle-tackle-e1552082800469-1024x684.jpg

Eric Weddle’s unemployment didn’t last long.

The 34-year-old heavily-bearded safety, who was released by the Ravens earlier this week, took his first free agent visit to the Los Angeles Rams and agreed to stay.

The Contract:
Weddle’s new two-year deal is worth $12.5 million, according to NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport.

Why they made the move:
The Rams had a vacancy at free safety with the expected departure of LaMarcus Joyner in free agency. In Weddle they are getting an experienced, tough, productive safety (with 29 career interceptions, though zero last season in Baltimore) who should be a perfect fit with Rams’ defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. For Weddle, the Rams make a ton of sense as well. A longtime member of the San Diego Chargers, Weddle has deep ties to Southern California, and moving back to the west coast is an ideal personal situation in addition to the professional fit.

What it means for the market:
Because Weddle was released earlier this week, he was able to beat the rush, as the number of quality safeties on the market is expected to exceed the demand for them. Other impending free agents like Earl Thomas and Landon Collins, neither of whom can start talking to other teams until Monday, should draw significant interest, but Weddle found himself what was likely his best situation before the market even opened. The signing also assures that Joyner, who twice received the franchise tag from the Rams, will become a free agent. He’ll be an intriguing addition to a new team because of his position flexibility and ability to play nickel corner in addition to safety.

Signing grade: A.
A six-time Pro Bowler comes in and fills a position of need for the Rams ahead of the opening of free agency and the draft. Tough to call that anything other than a clear victory for the Rams (and for Weddle, who’ll get to go back to Southern California on a Super Bowl-ready team.)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-trade-grades-tracking-every-big-signing-move
Barnwell's 2019 NFL free-agency and trade grades: Tracking every big signing and move
i

Eric Weddle, S, Rams
The deal: Two years, $12.5 million with $5.25 million guaranteed
Grade: B

With the Rams unlikely to re-sign free agent Lamarcus Joyner, their list of potential replacements at free safety was vast, especially after Tashaun Gipson hit the market earlier Friday. As a conference champion in a desirable city with cap space, the Rams are going to have the lead on signing just about any ring-chasing veteran who hits the market. It's no surprise they ended up with Weddle, and he won't be the last solid over-30 player to join their roster this offseason.

Off the field, Weddle makes plenty of sense for the Rams. General manager Les Snead established a habit of using his own draft picks to trade for talented players while recouping some of the missing selections by letting his own veterans leave in free agency for compensatory picks. The Rams could be in line for as many as four compensatory picks if Joyner, Ndamukong Suh, Rodger Saffold, and Dante Fowler Jr. sign elsewhere.

Eric Weddle has signed a two-year deal with the Rams. Tommy Gilligan/USA TODAY Sports
Since Weddle was released by the Ravens, the 34-year-old won't count against the compensatory formula, so he can't cancel out any of the picks the Rams might gain for their four free agents if they move on. As the elder statesman of the safety class, he was the guy most likely to take a short-term deal, and this contact probably represents a one-year pact with an unguaranteed second season. That's ideal for the Rams, too.

On the field, it's fair to say the Ravens thought Weddle wasn't the player he was a couple of years ago, given that they turned down the option to pay him $6.5 million for 2019. It has to be concerning that Weddle failed to stuff the stat sheet the way he had in years past. The six-time Pro Bowler failed to force a takeaway for only the second time in his 11 seasons as a starter and defensed a mere three passes after racking up 21 defenses over the previous two years. The Ravens ranked second in DVOA on short throws but only 16th on deeper attempts, where you would figure Weddle might have had more of an impact.

At the same time, though, Weddle was a starting safety on the league's third-best defense by DVOA, and it wasn't as if he was an obvious weakness. Weddle still has excellent instincts, and on a unit with starting cornerbacks renowned for jumping routes or coming off their man to try to force an interception, he is a solid last line of defense. Don Martindale had a superb debut season as Ravens defensive coordinator in 2018, but Rams DC Wade Phillips seems to make just about every player he gets better. The last time Weddle failed to record a takeaway was during his final season with the Chargers, and he promptly picked off 10 passes for the Ravens over the next two years.

The only thing you might say is that the Rams would occasionally slide Joyner down into the slot and play him as a cornerback against wideouts, something they can't really ask Weddle to do at this point of his career. There's always a chance that he returns from the offseason and isn't the same guy -- remember that John Lynch made the Pro Bowl for the Broncos at 36 in 2007 and wasn't able to make the Patriots' roster or catch on anywhere else the following August -- but it's more likely that the Rams get solid, smart safety play in their backfield next season.

Last edited:

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
Rams always have too many "smurfs". Rams would do well to get bigger in the secondary. Joyner has regressed and Weddle brings experience and would fit with JJ3, Talib and Peters. Weddle still has game. An upgrade.

The UTE. !! Glad to see he is clean cut !!
Looks younger !! A great locker room guy.

McVay got a good look at him last year when the team practiced with Baltimore for a week.

No comparison to Joyner. Weedle brings so much confidence & experience.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Ram-lover Walter likes this move - this has to mean . . . something.
Right?
http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php

ramsb_logo.gif
Rams sign S Eric Weddle (2 years, $12.5 million): A Grade
I wrote in the NFL Free Agent Rumors page that the Rams shouldn't have to sign Eric Weddle to a big contract, given how high the supply is for safeties this offseason. The Rams thought the same thing, giving Weddle a contract that isn't even worth $13 million over two years.

It's worth noting that Weddle's deal is "worth up to" $12.5 million, meaning he may not even get that much money. With that in mind, this is a slam-dunk signing. The Rams were bound to lose LaMarcus Joyner in free agency, and Weddle seems like a great replacement for the short term. Weddle turned 34 recently, so regression is possible, but he played at a high level last year and should have at least one more strong season remaining in his career. Signing him to a deal like this doesn't come with much risk, so I'm willing to give it an "A" grade.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Ram-lover Walter likes this move - this has to mean . . . something.
Right?
http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php

ramsb_logo.gif
Rams sign S Eric Weddle (2 years, $12.5 million): A Grade
I wrote in the NFL Free Agent Rumors page that the Rams shouldn't have to sign Eric Weddle to a big contract, given how high the supply is for safeties this offseason. The Rams thought the same thing, giving Weddle a contract that isn't even worth $13 million over two years.

It's worth noting that Weddle's deal is "worth up to" $12.5 million, meaning he may not even get that much money. With that in mind, this is a slam-dunk signing. The Rams were bound to lose LaMarcus Joyner in free agency, and Weddle seems like a great replacement for the short term. Weddle turned 34 recently, so regression is possible, but he played at a high level last year and should have at least one more strong season remaining in his career. Signing him to a deal like this doesn't come with much risk, so I'm willing to give it an "A" grade.
:shocked: This has got to be a first for Walter. It had to be hard for him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Clown Walter is probably tired of hearing how much people dislike him over his idiotic Rams takes. I'm sure he still doesn't like it just wants a little less heat.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Clown Walter is probably tired of hearing how much people dislike him over his idiotic Rams takes. I'm sure he still doesn't like it just wants a little less heat.
I stopped keeping up with him about mid way through the season. Are we still overrated?

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
What's important at safety is to go with someone who offers something that we need. We're loaded with box safeties. Wade needs a guy in that pairing who can ballhawk a bit when he goes single high.

Weddle's a great box safety still. But again just not what we need.

Couldn't Johnson be the "ballhawk single high" safety we need. He's shown some skill in that regard last season....

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Oh those silly Rams... Seriously this one really surprised me and I had to drive back from Vegas tonight listening to the whiners radio station that somehow came through on am damn it. Only way this makes sense to me is if they're planning on drafting another safety and figure he fills depth plus can do a lot of mentoring.

But I have always respected Weddle and it's kind of cool to have him in horns even if he's runnin on fumes and isn't exactly the deep middle playmaker I was hoping to see added. It's all good, and I can get behind this so welcome aboard Weddle let's go get another championship. (y)

View: https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1104160512009359360?s=20

View: https://twitter.com/pff_rams/status/1104244409812439042?s=21