Rams sign veteran Safety Eric Weddle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I fear this pickup is an overreaction to Joyners complete lack of productivity.

I was hoping we'd draft a true FS, with long range speed, so we could move JJ to full time SS.

We're gambling that we can get to the QB before a reciever has a chance to make a double move.

It also tells me that we're going to be playing a lot of Dime because you can't ask a 34 year old to help out in the slot.

That said at least Weddle is a thumper with high awareness who will help guys get lined up.

Seems like Snead is focused on ensuring the need for the underperforming positions isn't too great. Weddle isn't ideal, but he was affordable and upgrades us over what Joyner gave us last year. And maybe in this defense he will excel too, and get a bit of a rebirth going.

But back to Snead I think it's a good approach to fill the holes with short term deals if you need to in order to avoid putting yourself in a position where you have to reach for need. That way come the draft you can truly go with BPA and lessen your chances of not maximizing the value. I still think DL will most likely be the BPA, but if it's a CB or a TE or ILB or whatever go get it.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
https://www.therams.com/news/daily-dose-joining-the-rams-was-a-dream-scenario-for-weddle

Each weekday, theRams.com will be taking a look around the internet for the top Rams headlines of the day. Here’s a look at what’s out there for Tuesday, March 12th about your Los Angeles Rams.

ujfrhx6iwrbskysnlk7s.jpg

A DREAM COME TRUE

Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer was a on a three-way call with safety Eric Weddle and his agent David Canter just after the deal went down for the Rams to acquire the veteran safety and the 12-year professional told Breer that joining the Rams a “dream scenario.”

Weddle shared his conversation with head coach Sean McVay with Breer following his second meeting at the Rams facility in Thousand Oaks, Calif.:

McVay: Eric, where did you learn your intuition, the movements, who taught you this?

Weddle: I did it on my own.

McVay: What do you mean?

Weddle: I didn’t have a veteran to help me, I didn't have a guy to lean on when I was early in my career, I had to figure it out on my own.

McVay: Honestly, Eric, there’s not one player in this league that could do what you do.

Weddle: Exactly. That’s why I’m here, right?

For Breer’s full conversation with Weddle, click here.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems like Snead is focused on ensuring the need for the underperforming positions isn't too great. Weddle isn't ideal, but he was affordable and upgrades us over what Joyner gave us last year. And maybe in this defense he will excel too, and get a bit of a rebirth going.

But back to Snead I think it's a good approach to fill the holes with short term deals if you need to in order to avoid putting yourself in a position where you have to reach for need. That way come the draft you can truly go with BPA and lessen your chances of not maximizing the value. I still think DL will most likely be the BPA, but if it's a CB or a TE or ILB or whatever go get it.

Yeah, well run teams rarely need to draft for need - especially in the first round. If the BPA is really someone the team has little need for, then it's time for a trade down.

I'm hoping that next year the Rams will have all their draft picks, plus the comp picks, and Snead can really move all over the draft board to get the players the Rams value most.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That was one hell of a great read. It is just impossible not to pull for that dude so yeah I'm definitely in EW's corner and hope he helps to put us over the top.

London_Ram

Rookie
https://www.therams.com/news/daily-dose-joining-the-rams-was-a-dream-scenario-for-weddle

Each weekday, theRams.com will be taking a look around the internet for the top Rams headlines of the day. Here’s a look at what’s out there for Tuesday, March 12th about your Los Angeles Rams.

ujfrhx6iwrbskysnlk7s.jpg

A DREAM COME TRUE

Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer was a on a three-way call with safety Eric Weddle and his agent David Canter just after the deal went down for the Rams to acquire the veteran safety and the 12-year professional told Breer that joining the Rams a “dream scenario.”

Weddle shared his conversation with head coach Sean McVay with Breer following his second meeting at the Rams facility in Thousand Oaks, Calif.:

McVay: Eric, where did you learn your intuition, the movements, who taught you this?

Weddle: I did it on my own.

McVay: What do you mean?

Weddle: I didn’t have a veteran to help me, I didn't have a guy to lean on when I was early in my career, I had to figure it out on my own.

McVay: Honestly, Eric, there’s not one player in this league that could do what you do.

Weddle: Exactly. That’s why I’m here, right?

Loved reading this. Especially the part when they go for dinner and part of the Rams contingent is Andrew Whitworth - him deciding to keep playing is going to prove it's worth time and time again in ways not immediately expected or even visible to most of us.

After the craziness of the last day and a bit on Safties; getting this wrapped up when we did, and for the price we did, seems more and more like a shrewd deal.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Good story by Breer. The 2 things that jumped out to me were how McVay recognized how cerebral Weddle is with presnap looks and communication. The second is that he has 9 years of experience in a D that was inspired by Wade. I wouldn’t be surprised if Weddle is a Captain.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

Good points. We're beginning to resemble a well run franchise.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Pretty sure that’s already up on the Seattle bulletin board...lol

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Good story by Breer. The 2 things that jumped out to me were how McVay recognized how cerebral Weddle is with presnap looks and communication. The second is that he has 9 years of experience in a D that was inspired by Wade. I wouldn’t be surprised if Weddle is a Captain.

I got caught by this:

“I hope the guys get all the information player leadership wants to give,” union president Eric Winston texted late Sunday night.

Ummmm... Excuse me? How about all the information they need? Even better would be all the information they want, but that's not always feasible. I can't stand self serving d-bags being in leadership positions.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Between his instincts and Peters' instincts... this secondary is substantially better just with him added.

From the pattern perspective, I think we need to replace Suh by moving Brockers inside and letting JFM start. I think we have all our starters on D and it looks better than last year. Regular season Suh is not difficult to replace.

On offense it's clear we need OL depth, QB depth and RB depth (we only definitely have Gurley, Davis and Kelly and while I REALLY like how bursty Kelly is, I think if possible we need to bring CJ back).

I realize it may be tough to hear, but both of our young TEs have balled out when called on. McVay has GROSSLY underutilized our TEs and I hope that's fixed in the future. Both run very good routes and secure catches, Higbee is one of the better blocking TEs in the league and not switching to use both TEs after Kupp went down may have been a big mistake in the long run. We'll see.

May seem strange, but other than CB and S for development, I'd like to see our high picks again go to OL unless someone spectacular drops.

And, honestly, unless we get someone special SUPER cheap, I'd be perfectly happy if we were done in FA.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.therams.com/news/john-j...nality-fitting-in-with-the-rams-he-can-do-it-

Thursday, Mar 14, 2019 10:05 AM
John Johnson on Weddle’s game, personality fitting in with the Rams: “He can do it all.”
Clarence Dennis
Minutes after head coach Sean McVay and general manager Les Snead introduced safety Eric Weddle to the Los Angeles media, the pair left the media room at the Rams practice facility in Thousand Oaks, Calif. as their rising third-year safety entered.

“We had been texting, we talked a lot, just getting to know him a little bit,” safety John Johnson told reporters after sharing a fairly staged handshake with Weddle in front of the podium backdrop, providing the opportunity for cameras to capture the moment.

“He said he was going to be up here today, so I came up here,” Johnson added.

bmro1pp80ptigcmzikot.jpg

A text message brought the budding star to the Rams practice facility to meet Weddle on Tuesday morning, but it wasn’t the first time the pair had spoken.

“I reached out to ‘JJ’ as soon as I signed here and just let him know, ‘Can’t wait to get to work with him.’ You know, the same stuff. Just excited for him. I’ve watched a lot of games. I stole McVay’s iPad when I signed here so I could watch some film,” Weddle said. “He’s pumped. We all are.”

And while Johnson admitted to not following Weddle’s most recent three seasons in Baltimore as closely as the six-time Pro Bowler’s days in San Diego — perhaps a result of launching his own professional career — he was able to break down his new teammate’s skillset, after recalling watching No. 32 with the Bolts back in high school and even middle school.

“He’s just an all-around player, he can do it all,” Johnson said. “He blitzes, he can cover, he can play the middle post, so he can do it all — and that’s something that I like doing, I pride myself on, is doing it all. So it will be a good mix of everything.”

And Weddle likely agrees, or at least that’s what the smile that came across his face suggested when his head coach sat next to him and listed the names that now grace coordinator Wade Phillips’ secondary.

Johnson, cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters — Nickell Robey-Coleman — and now Weddle.

“[T]hose are five instinctual players that I know our DB coaches in the back are excited to get to work with them — with [cornerbacks coach] Aubrey [Pleasant] and [safeties] coach [Ejiro] Evero. It’s a very good day for the Rams and glad to have our guy Eric with us,” McVay said.

“Oh he fits right in. He’s his own guy, his own personality, he won’t hide it,” Johnson said, after rocking multiple hair colors in 2018. “Like you said, he’s got a beard thing going on, hopefully he grows it back out. I think he fits right in with the personalities that we already have.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From the pattern perspective, I think we need to replace Suh by moving Brockers inside and letting JFM start. I think we have all our starters on D and it looks better than last year. Regular season Suh is not difficult to replace.

I feel a lot better about Brock at 5T. I think that's his spot, and with Franklin we have a good young guy to rotate in. They will go get a nose in the draft and this defensive front will look pretty damn good.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“I reached out to ‘JJ’ as soon as I signed here and just let him know, ‘Can’t wait to get to work with him.’ You know, the same stuff. Just excited for him. I’ve watched a lot of games. I stole McVay’s iPad when I signed here so I could watch some film,” Weddle said. “He’s pumped. We all are.”

Weddle isn't the guy he used to be but I do find myself wondering if he can have a bit of a resurgence playing for Wade in this scheme. Either way he's an upgrade from Joyner and offenses will have a hard time now knowing which safety will be doing what when they disguise coverages.

And having a FA addition borrowing the head coach's iPad to watch film in March... Yeah. This is going to be a solid to great signing for us, somewhere in there, for sure.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
“He’s just an all-around player, he can do it all,” Johnson said. “He blitzes, he can cover, he can play the middle post, so he can do it all — and that’s something that I like doing, I pride myself on, is doing it all. So it will be a good mix of everything.”
This was my first thought on the signing, the impact it will have on Johnson. Weddle is a (formerly) star defender that can help JJ further develope his game.