Rams sign veteran Safety Eric Weddle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
But, but, but, where’s the beard?

I know?
Where’s the beard?

That thing’s a secret weapon and should be written into the frickin’ contract.

That thing better grow back fasssst!

OK

He’s Squirrel Head to me now...

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I've always liked Weddle. I wish that Linehan had drafted him. I'm a little concerned about his age, but there's no denying that he has the skills that Wade desires out of his safeties. And since he was cut, he doesn't count against our future compensatory picks.

A good signing, if I do say so myself.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
Meh , I would've made a push for C J Mosley . Or Earl Thomas
I doubt they would have given a sniff at the deal. Earl at $5M guaranteed money?
Prolly not.
It's a reasonably priced solution. Let's sign Saff !!! :yess:

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
No that’s where his beard went to.
So this lady goes in for a face lift. The Dr. tells her about new technology that works like this. They put a little knob on the back of you neck and when things start to sag you just turn it and everything tightens up again. So she goes for it. About 5 years later she comes back and says, "Dr. it's not working anymore, look at these bags under my eyes." The Dr. looks at her and said, "I'm sorry to tell you this, those are not bags, those are your boobs." The lady says, "Well, I guess that explains the goatee than."

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That answers that. There's our Joyner replacement. He's not the player he once was, but he fits the scheme well.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm thinking E.Thomas is closer to being washed up than Weddle is. Good signing for an experienced vet. The dude has been an iron man too, which gets extra points from me. He's only missed 3 games in the last nine years.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm thinking E.Thomas is closer to being washed up than Weddle is. Good signing for an experienced vet. The dude has been an iron man too, which gets extra points from me. He's only missed 3 games in the last nine years.

I can't agree with that. Weddle is physically declining (but he's still a brilliant player). The problem with Thomas is twofold: 1) unlike Weddle, he's not a cut (so he counts against us in the comp pick formula) and 2) he's going to be very expensive and isn't maximized in this scheme.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
This is this years pro bowl player.

Just looking at the comparative, Joiner not being a pro bowl caliber Safety, how is this not an upgrade at much less the cost?

Maybe this year and next he does not make the pro bowl. Its still an upgrade at less than half the cost to spend elsewhere.

This is a shrewd dynasty type move IMO.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The best part of this signing is that Joyner won't be coming back at whatever price.

Haven't seen enough ravens game to have an opinion on weddle.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
I can't agree with that. Weddle is physically declining (but he's still a brilliant player). The problem with Thomas is twofold: 1) unlike Weddle, he's not a cut (so he counts against us in the comp pick formula) and 2) he's going to be very expensive and isn't maximized in this scheme.

Threefold. He's also a team cancer.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Peters about to have his best season ever, with Talib opposite and Weddle behind him.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Not sure what you disagree with.
Thomas started every game his first 6 seasons. He's missed a lot of games the last 3 years. About 20 games. I think he's just about done, whereas Weddle has been unbelievably durable since forever. That was my point in the post you quoted.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure what you disagree with.
Thomas started every game his first 6 seasons. He's missed a lot of games the last 3 years. About 20 games. I think he's just about done, whereas Weddle has been unbelievably durable since forever. That was my point in the post you quoted.

I disagree that Thomas is closer to washed than Weddle. Thomas is less durable, but he was still looking great physically in 2018. Weddle's physical abilities have fallen off a lot. His football IQ and technical skill are allowing him to still be a productive player.

…..

Legend
Good move by the Rams for more than one reason so I’ll take it and we move on to the next gap to fill.

It’s fun building a team when you don’t have to build EVERYTHING isn’t it?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm pleased. This allows the Rams to draft somebody and develop them, without expecting them to be ready in 2019. And he was cut, so it doesn't affect comp picks.

Now they need to sign an ILB, an OLB, or a DL - and use the first to get whichever of those positions you don't sign. Also need to do something about the OL, especially if Saffold isn't resigned.

fearsomefour

Legend
I disagree that Thomas is closer to washed than Weddle. Thomas is less durable, but he was still looking great physically in 2018. Weddle's physical abilities have fallen off a lot. His football IQ and technical skill are allowing him to still be a productive player.
Kind of my view of him. Seems a step late on a lot of things.
Joyner was the Chicago Fire of DBs much of last year however.