Rams Running Back Options?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Two words: Sewo Olonilua.

We often see eye to eye on players, but I don't get this one. I wasn't impressed with the kid. Looked very JAGish to me. He's just big and can move the pile. Vision and patience are mediocre at best. Doesn't break a ton of tackles. Good pass catcher but suspect in pass pro.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Yeah he's fun to watch. Love his balance through contact dude reminds me of a young Lynch. (y)

Oh and we don't need to take him early.
Fer real?? Lynch is a great comparison, if he's there in the 3rd I wants Dillon!!!
Would be perfect compliment to Hendo. Can leak out for screens. Play action would be gnarly.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
We often see eye to eye on players, but I don't get this one. I wasn't impressed with the kid. Looked very JAGish to me. He's just big and can move the pile. Vision and patience are mediocre at best. Doesn't break a ton of tackles. Good pass catcher but suspect in pass pro.

I see differently. His vision and patience are mediocre, true, but I disagree on his not breaking tackles. He has a nasty stiff arm and is surprisingly elusive in the open field I'm not saying he's Faulk, but he makes the first man miss). And pass-protection is more on the lines of "want to" than inability as a whole.

Maybe you're right and he's JAG, but I see a great goalline/short yardage back who could fill Malcolm Brown's role in the future.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see differently. His vision and patience are mediocre, true, but I disagree on his not breaking tackles. He has a nasty stiff arm and is surprisingly elusive in the open field I'm not saying he's Faulk, but he makes the first man miss). And pass-protection is more on the lines of "want to" than inability as a whole.

Maybe you're right and he's JAG, but I see a great goalline/short yardage back who could fill Malcolm Brown's role in the future.

That's honestly worse for me. I'd rather take a chance on a guy who wants it badly but isn't big enough than a guy who has the ability but doesn't want it. It pisses me off when a HB can't be bothered to put much effort into protecting his QB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fer real?? Lynch is a great comparison, if he's there in the 3rd I wants Dillon!!!
Would be perfect compliment to Hendo. Can leak out for screens. Play action would be gnarly.

He's not Marshawn Lynch. He's too tall. Doesn't have the one-in-a-million contact balance that Lynch had. I'd say he's similar to LeGarrett Blount. Great athlete. Violent runner. Bad hands.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I don't see the Rams taking one of the top RBs. They probably need a power back to complement Henderson that is well rounded (good pass blocker). The early runs on Qbs, WRs and OTs could leave a very good option in round 3. I find a big back like AJ Dillion intriguing as a nice compliment to Henderson. He has size, balance, pass-catching ability and surprising speed.

AJ Dillon is intriguing. However, he already has 800 carries in his years at Boston College. That's a lot of mileage on those tires. I would prefer a RB who only has 2 years of full time play.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I disagree. While we are all aware McVay doesn't seem to value a power back, that doesn't mean Anderson's contributions during 2018's final stretch weren't extremely valuable.
I agree that they were valuable, but not in the same way. The Playoff win against the Cowboys showed that ANY Rams RB was going to get 4-5 yards upfield before contact ; didn't matter what type of runner they were.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
That's honestly worse for me. I'd rather take a chance on a guy who wants it badly but isn't big enough than a guy who has the ability but doesn't want it. It pisses me off when a HB can't be bothered to put much effort into protecting his QB.

True. I think that veterans will definitely help in that regard, and I doubt that the new running backs coach is going to tolerate it. That's my thought, and I could very well be wrong about Olonilua.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
Great player..... but, Akers will most likely be drafted in the late 2nd through 3rd round. I don't see the Rams using that high of a pick on a RB when there are so many available in the later rounds.
If he's there at #52 I think he's too good to pass up JMO

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just going to point out that had the Rams listened to me, we'd have Kareem right now. ;)
How about we just agree to high five that we’d love this guy in horns

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Great player..... but, Akers will most likely be drafted in the late 2nd through 3rd round. I don't see the Rams using that high of a pick on a RB when there are so many available in the later rounds.
Maybe if they trade back for an extra pick, you can justify taking him at pick 60-64.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see many scenarios where I'm spending our first pick on a HB. If the value lines up, it'll be an OL imo.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Some of these critiques of the bigger backs sound a lot like the ones i read in here about Derrick Henry a few years ago.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some of these critiques of the bigger backs sound a lot like the ones i read in here about Derrick Henry a few years ago.

Henry hasn't exactly proven to be a good pass catcher. And imo, his hands are better than Dillon's. The Titans also don't run our system. Our system highly prioritizes a HB's ability to catch the football (and block) because of the way McVay schemes and how his offense works. It's why McVay grabbed Henderson. Yes, he was a fast, explosive HB who fit the outsize-zone running game well, but he was also a legitimate weapon in the passing game.

I know people think we need a hammer. I don't necessarily agree on that. But if we want a hammer, Zack Moss is a hammer who is a heck of a passing-game weapon. I think A.J. Dillon could be very effective in the right system, but like Jordan Howard, he's going to be wasted in the wrong one. You'll note that Jordan Howard was great in Chicago under John Fox and not that effective under Nagy (who then traded him to Philly). FWIW, these are the guys I like in the 3rd through 5th rounds:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Henry hasn't exactly proven to be a good pass catcher. And imo, his hands are better than Dillon's. The Titans also don't run our system. Our system highly prioritizes a HB's ability to catch the football (and block) because of the way McVay schemes and how his offense works. It's why McVay grabbed Henderson. Yes, he was a fast, explosive HB who fit the outsize-zone running game well, but he was also a legitimate weapon in the passing game.

I know people think we need a hammer. I don't necessarily agree on that. But if we want a hammer, Zack Moss is a hammer who is a heck of a passing-game weapon. I think A.J. Dillon could be very effective in the right system, but like Jordan Howard, he's going to be wasted in the wrong one. You'll note that Jordan Howard was great in Chicago under John Fox and not that effective under Nagy (who then traded him to Philly). FWIW, these are the guys I like in the 3rd through 5th rounds:

I was looking at Vaughn and saw GFW had him in the 7th in his last mock which means we’d have to spend our 6th on him on his rankings. Any chance he lasts that long?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You PAC 12 followers... What do you think of Joshua Kelly from UCLA?

Looks like he would be a great fit for this offense based on some of the highlights I watched. More impressive than Moss to me.

View: https://youtu.be/vPz_PfBxUto

Good call, there has been talk around the combine that Kelly might be tied to The Rams?
He seems more of a North & South RB. Hurdles players like Gurley use to do. I’d much rather Johnathan Taylor,but Kelly would be an excellent value pick. I’m sure he is penciled(Circled) in on The Rams 2020 defat board.