Rams Running Back Options?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was looking at Vaughn and saw GFW had him in the 7th in his last mock which means we’d have to spend our 6th on him on his rankings. Any chance he lasts that long?

It's hard to say. HBs are hard to project because of how devalued the position is. I think he more likely goes in the 5th round, especially after he ran a 4.51 40. Personally, I thought he looked a step faster in 2018. Not sure if he played heavier or if he was injured in 2019. Vandy's supporting cast around him also significantly regressed. He was a monster in 2018. Ran for 1244 yards and averaged 7.9 YPC in the SEC. And Vandy used a lot of outside zone with him.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
I don't see many scenarios where I'm spending our first pick on a HB. If the value lines up, it'll be an OL imo.
Wisconsin lineman seem to do pretty good in the pros and we've had decent luck with them do they have any coming out that we may look at with our second round pick? If not who else may we be looking at with that pick I really haven't looked much at the list of o-lineman yet.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wisconsin lineman seem to do pretty good in the pros and we've had decent luck with them do they have any coming out that we may look at with our second round pick? If not who else may we be looking at with that pick I really haven't looked much at the list of o-lineman yet.
I don’t remember seeing any of their linemen other than Biadasz in this years draft.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Henry hasn't exactly proven to be a good pass catcher. And imo, his hands are better than Dillon's. The Titans also don't run our system. Our system highly prioritizes a HB's ability to catch the football (and block) because of the way McVay schemes and how his offense works.
I know people think we need a hammer. I don't necessarily agree on that.
If we're talking system fit, McV needs to adapt and evolve...if he's really worth his salt. The conference elite foes and division foes changes rapidly as you know.
Yes he likes backs who are versatile, but there is something to be said about losing a Todd Gurley at the goaline who was our best power option there, and it appears that a committee backfield is the direction we're going, at least in 2020.

The toughness factor at the point of attack in '19 was not good and the RB has as much to do with that as the interior line. As far as needing a hammer i think the obvious is the reality in this case. Without a feature back i believe you diversify your running back room rather than filling it full of versatile backs.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm in agreement with those who don't feel a high pick must be spent on a RB. I'd look for backs who fill roles.

I'd like to see McV be able to run various packages(WR/TE/RB) with no cares about tipping the D off and just execute, which means he really needs to get away from trying to disguise the entire playbook from a single formation and same personnel. That approach is stale and had run its course about a year ago IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we're talking system fit, McV needs to adapt and evolve...if he's really worth his salt. The conference elite foes and division foes changes rapidly as you know.
Yes he likes backs who are versatile, but there is something to be said about losing a Todd Gurley at the goaline who was our best power option there, and it appears that a committee backfield is the direction we're going, at least in 2020.

The toughness factor at the point of attack in '19 was not good and the RB has as much to do with that as the interior line. As far as needing a hammer i think the obvious is the reality in this case. Without a feature back i believe you diversify your running back room rather than filling it full of versatile backs.

You don't go away from what makes you successful. That would be like Lamar Jackson adapting and evolving by refusing to run or Marshall Faulk adapting and evolving by refusing to catch passes. Yes, every offensive coach needs to continually be evolving, but McVay's system works because you can't tell what we're going to do based on personnel, formation, alignment, etc. He disguises his plays extremely well and relies on versatile players.

Having a HB who can run, block, and catch passes at a high level is central to that. If you have a player who doesn't contribute much in the passing game, you've got a tell. Some teams accept that because their system isn't built on fooling you. The Titans, for example, have the philosophy of "I'm going to run it down your throat and dare you to stop me." That's not our philosophy. And no, I don't want that to be our philosophy. McVay has a far more effective system when our OL is up to the task.

Simply put, it's not that hard to be effective on the goal line if you have decent blocking. I don't agree at all that we need a power HB. Marshall Faulk wasn't a power HB. But we sure as shit didn't need one during his prime. Two effective elusive HBs are just as good as an effective elusive HB and an effective power HB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I like their Center, Tyler Biadasz, a lot in the third round. I'm a big fan of Robert Hunt out of Louisiana as a guard. Those are the two guys who excite me the most on Day 2. But Cesar Ruiz, Lloyd Cushenberry, and Matt Hennessy are also quality players. I know some are very high on John Simpson out of Clemson too, but I haven't had time to evaluate him yet.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
You don't go away from what makes you successful. That would be like Lamar Jackson adapting and evolving by refusing to run or Marshall Faulk adapting and evolving by refusing to catch passes. Yes, every offensive coach needs to continually be evolving, but McVay's system works because you can't tell what we're going to do based on personnel, formation, alignment, etc. He disguises his plays extremely well and relies on versatile players.

Having a HB who can run, block, and catch passes at a high level is central to that. If you have a player who doesn't contribute much in the passing game, you've got a tell. Some teams accept that because their system isn't built on fooling you. The Titans, for example, have the philosophy of "I'm going to run it down your throat and dare you to stop me." That's not our philosophy. And no, I don't want that to be our philosophy. McVay has a far more effective system when our OL is up to the task.

Simply put, it's not that hard to be effective on the goal line if you have decent blocking. I don't agree at all that we need a power HB. Marshall Faulk wasn't a power HB. But we sure as shit didn't need one during his prime. Two effective elusive HBs are just as good as an effective elusive HB and an effective power HB.
Sorry dude i just think you're flat wrong here with your take on the backs and i've explained why.

We also aren't aligned on what this offense needs to do to get back to being elite. I realize i'm very much in the minority on that front though. We didn't have bad players on offense last season. The scheme was stale.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry dude i just think you're flat wrong here with your take on the backs and i've explained why.

We also aren't aligned on what this offense needs to do to get back to being elite. I realize i'm very much in the minority on that front though. We didn't have bad players on offense last season. The scheme was stale.

I think my point about Faulk speaks for itself. But agree to disagree.

As for the offense last season, there's not much you can do to scheme around a struggling OL. I think the yards before contact figures posted earlier in the thread say it all.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think my point about Faulk speaks for itself. But agree to disagree.
Lets try this one step at a time so we're on the same page.
Was Faulk a versatile feature back?
Was Gurley a versatile feature back?
Not the SAME back...but versatile?
And can we agree that versatile means you're gonna get a bit of everything out of him? Speed, power, pass pro, pass catching.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The scheme was stale.

and nothing showed it more than the cowboys game.

the rams offense couldn't get out of it's own way for much of the season. then mcvay changed it up with 5 games to go and the offense looked normal again, moving the ball at will. the only exception was the cowboys game, sandwiched right in the middle of this 5 game stretch. he ran with his strictly 11 personnel grouping and the offense couldn't do shit.

unless the oline dominates his 11 personnel grouping is going to fail.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I dunno what the RB room is gonna look like, but I think D Henderson is gonna be our main back and he's gonna do very, very well for us.

We will rally around Daryl and we will play good football.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams need so much... RB, OL, DL, LB, WR, CB, S.... I say just take the BPA at #52. If Les and McVay think some RB is gonna be a star... I hope they draft him. Some of the backs that you guys are talking about look very promising. And they have to replace Gurley. I hope it's Henderson, but we won't know until the season starts. And I don't care if it's running back by committee or a true workhorse as long as they produce.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lets try this one step at a time so we're on the same page.
Was Faulk a versatile feature back?
Was Gurley a versatile feature back?
Not the SAME back...but versatile?
And can we agree that versatile means you're gonna get a bit of everything out of him? Speed, power, pass pro, pass catching.

Neither Gurley nor Faulk were power HBs. Were they versatile? Sure. Is Darrell Henderson versatile? Sure. He can get behind his pads and fight for yardage. So can Eno Benjamin (who's an elusive HB in my book). My point was that we need versatile, effective HBs. I'm not worried about trying to have a power HB to pair with a speed HB. Faulk wasn't a power guy. But the man produced for us. Why wouldn't two Faulks produce for us? (And note, I'm not saying that Eno or Henderson are Faulk. I'm making the point that you can build a successful HB rotation around similar backs, as long as they're effective.)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
and nothing showed it more than the cowboys game.

the rams offense couldn't get out of it's own way for much of the season. then mcvay changed it up with 5 games to go and the offense looked normal again, moving the ball at will. the only exception was the cowboys game, sandwiched right in the middle of this 5 game stretch. he ran with his strictly 11 personnel grouping and the offense couldn't do shit.

unless the oline dominates his 11 personnel grouping is going to fail.

The scheme itself didn't really change that much. McVay made some adaptations (which were needed) that included scheming to get Higbee more involved, but the scheme was the same sort of scheme he's always run. He simply incorporated more TEs to compensate for the OL's issues. It was a needed change. But if the OL can do the job (and hopefully it can in 2020), our offense is better suited to use 11 personnel a lot. It makes best use of our biggest strength on offense (our trio of WRs).

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I have my eye on a running back in the second round...but y'all are gonna have to wait until my next mock draft (which I'll be posting shortly).

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Neither Gurley nor Faulk were power HBs. Were they versatile? Sure.
Good. Right, but you'll surrender that TG had more power than Faulk.
They are both pro bowl proven versatile feature backs.

Our pro bowl proven versatile feature back is gone. As far as we know we don't have one on the roster.
Henderson is versatile. Unless Henderson is Faulk or Gurley, we're gonna need more power in the backfield.

Prob not a good idea to spend a draft pick trying to land another pro bowl versatile feature back(like Faulk or Gurley) in THIS draft when our draft chips are weak and our needs are many. Until the Rams are able to land that next All World back a committee approach seems logical to me.

I say diversify the the RB room instead of trying to fill it with system clones, meaning a few guys who can all catch some passes, run with some speed, run with some power. Develop Henderson as your #1 sure, but go get a hammer too. Go get a vet who can pick up a blitz.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good. Right, but you'll surrender that TG had more power than Faulk.
They are both pro bowl proven versatile feature backs.

Our pro bowl proven versatile feature back is gone. As far as we know we don't have one on the roster.
Henderson is versatile. Unless Henderson is Faulk or Gurley, we're gonna need more power in the backfield.

Prob not a good idea to spend a draft pick trying to land another pro bowl versatile feature back(like Faulk or Gurley) in THIS draft when our draft chips are weak and our needs are many. Until the Rams are able to land that next All World back a committee approach seems logical to me.

I say diversify the the RB room instead of trying to fill it with system clones, meaning a few guys who can all catch some passes, run with some speed, run with some power. Develop Henderson as your #1 sure, but go get a hammer too. Go get a vet who can pick up a blitz.

Mojo, I respect your opinion, but I believe that weakens our system by giving defenses a tell. Yes, TG was more powerful than Faulk, but Faulk was just as effective at putting the ball in the end zone.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mojo, I respect your opinion, but I believe that weakens our system by giving defenses a tell. Yes, TG was more powerful than Faulk, but Faulk was just as effective at putting the ball in the end zone.
Jerry, we need to replace #30 without question. Dude was strong and elusive and wouldn't be ousted until a future Super Bowl winning RB replaced him in LA. We're talking about Lawrence McCutcheon, right?