Rams Running Back Options?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
I am guessing that Darrell Henderson and Malcolm Brown are the Rams top 2 Options. Can you give me your opinions on those two players and are there any other RB’s available that you would like to see the Rams pursue or do you look for them to draft one? And, Is John Kelly still on the Rams roster (I thought he had some potential when he was drafted by the Rams!?)?

Flint

Pro Bowler
It’s gonna be tough to not say “Gurley woulda taken that to the house”, at least once a game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Draft Zach Moss, or JK Dobbins. They need durability as well as producttion. I'd draft two and release Brown.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Committee. Go with the hot back on any given Sunday as well as the matchup. I like some of our current options. As far as those 3rd and 1's and goaline snotbubble situations...

We're gonna need a bigger back....
tumblr_pdc8lmjaCX1xw3jjro1_500.gif

TexasRam

Legend
If we could make the Super Bowl on an overweight old CJ Anderson and the clutch plays by Goff then I'm sure we will be fine.

I'm more concerned with getting the Oline back to top 10 from 31st.

The whole rotation thing is the way to go for cap reasons, flexibility reasons and Freshness reasons if you will :)

The Chiefs weren't lead by a star running back, neither were the Pats the year before or the Eagles the year before etc etc.

I'm hoping C/G in RD 2 and some college stud RB in RD 3 or later. Signing a Vet would be nice if we can go dirt cheap.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Since Melvin Gordon signed with Denver, either Phillip Lindsay or Royce Freeman please.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll throw out a few names.
Free Agency
Devonta Freeman - Wouldn't cost us a comp pick, but there's obviously concern that he's washed.
Isaiah Crowell - Could cost us a comp pick and coming off an injury, but should be cheap and has starter potential.
Chris Thompson - Could cost us a comp pick and has durability issues, but is a phenomenal pass catcher.

Trade
Giovani Bernard - Might be able to be had fairly cheap coming off a not so great season. Versatile HB.
Tevin Coleman - With Mostert's breakout, Coleman seems unneeded, but it would mean trading with the 49ers.
Kareem Hunt - Unless the Browns are giving him away, I'd shy away. But if the price is reasonable, it's worth kicking the tires.

Draft
Zack Moss - I'd compare him to Kareem Hunt. 4.6 40 but breaks tackles like crazy, great pass catcher and pass blocker, and good instincts as a runner. Tough as nails.
Eno Benjamin - Human joystick and a major weapon as a pass catcher. Will juke you out of your shoes but also won't hesitate to run you over. I'd compare him to Austin Ekeler.
Ke'Shawn Vaughn - Explosive runner with power and contact balance. Really good fit in the outside-zone. Has speed to the corner and an effective one-cut runner. Decent ability in the passing game too. I'd compare him to Lamar Miller.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Eno Benjamin - Human joystick and a major weapon as a pass catcher. Will juke you out of your shoes but also won't hesitate to run you over. I'd compare him to Austin Ekeler.

Watching him run... He chops his feet and his non ball arm “is a little like a wing” used for balance. It’s subtle... and now I see it every time he runs and I’m not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me.

I love his thick lower body. He has the ass of a runner. Lol.

oldnotdead

Legend
I expect the Rams to use a 3rd round pick for a RB. RB's generally play well early as their skill set generally translates. Burst, speed, agility, yards after contact, and hands are pretty much the same. Only pass protection is the normal issue with rookie RBs. Also, I expect them to use a late round pick or a priority FA signing on a FB.

There's no need to sign a FA and they hardly have the cap for it as well.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll throw out a few names.
Free Agency
Devonta Freeman - Wouldn't cost us a comp pick, but there's obviously concern that he's washed.
Isaiah Crowell - Could cost us a comp pick and coming off an injury, but should be cheap and has starter potential.
Chris Thompson - Could cost us a comp pick and has durability issues, but is a phenomenal pass catcher.

Trade
Giovani Bernard - Might be able to be had fairly cheap coming off a not so great season. Versatile HB.
Tevin Coleman - With Mostert's breakout, Coleman seems unneeded, but it would mean trading with the 49ers.
Kareem Hunt - Unless the Browns are giving him away, I'd shy away. But if the price is reasonable, it's worth kicking the tires.

Draft
Zack Moss - I'd compare him to Kareem Hunt. 4.6 40 but breaks tackles like crazy, great pass catcher and pass blocker, and good instincts as a runner. Tough as nails.
Ke'Shawn Vaughn - Explosive runner with power and contact balance. Really good fit in the outside-zone. Has speed to the corner and an effective one-cut runner. Decent ability in the passing game too. I'd compare him to Lamar Miller.

Isaiah Crowell looks like the type of back that would work well with Henderson.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
RE: Crowell... I grabbed these pieces out of a Seattle article suggesting they should sign him too. He is interesting.

———

Crowell will be entering his sixth season in the NFL in 2020. He hasn’t made a Pro Bowl and probably would never, but he is also a quality back. In two of his last three seasons, on a bad Browns team in 2016 and a not good Jets team in 2018, Crowell averaged 4.8 yards a carry.

Crowell has also fumbled just 6 times in five seasons, so he doesn’t have issues holding on to the ball.

The problem with Crowell is that he didn’t play in 2019 because he tore his Achilles tendon and missed the season. Crowell did suffer the injury on April 30th of last year, though, so by the time training camp rolls around he will have had over a year to rehab the injury. Sure, Achilles are tough to overcome for a running back, but with all the time since, Crowell should be in good shape.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Draft

Pass blocker caught my eye here. That might be what we miss most from TG. I think it's something they like about Brown as well.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I'd rather just go with what we have in house, until we see if the o-line can even run block this year. No RB is going to look good when he's consistently getting hit in the backfield and running into walls, and I think Henderson proving to be a capable starter is just as likely as any of these available names coming in and making a huge difference to our offense. Save the trades assets, draft capital, and/or cap room, for now. Although I could live with a draft pick being used if there is a guy the team really likes.

Edit - Kareem Hunt could be the one RB to make a real impact, but I don't want him anywhere near this roster. It is high time society starts putting NFL thugs in jail, as would happen to any normal American citizen, rather than letting them live a life of millionaire luxury over and above the law just because they're good at sports. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Draft

I like these three, Vaughn has the fastest 40, Benjamin has the ability to make people miss and Moss is the most complete back, but has durability issues because he does not run away from contact. I have a feeling the Rams will draft Moss because his 40 time was not great, which will drop him and it reminds me of when Cooper Kupp ran a slow 40, which dropped him and Les Snead was happy he ran a slow 40.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
This monster right here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoveD1SjZrI

Henderson had the same yards per attempt as the great Todd Gurley last season (in limited touches) but looked like he was a fingernail away from busting long runs a lot of the time. I think we will be just fine with him as our back. We did just use a premium pick on him and traded up to make sure of it. I can't see us taking one until later in the draft. John Kelly is certainly solid as well, when given a chance. Really, if we can shore up our run blocking, any 3 of these guys can produce, I just think Henderson can be special in that situation.