Rams and Dante Fowler have agreed to terms on a new contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
11 + 3 makes more sense for DF.
I like it he is proven to be more comfortable in the 3 - 4.
I think we will be very open minded @31 playing the best available option card which will include a trade down if the deal is right. We are in the drivers seat.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder what Saffold is gonna think of this deal? 14 million for a guy with 1.5 sacks who has been with the Rams for 1/2 a season. I know edge rushers are expensive, but loyalty should count for something. Hope we can still sign him. Also, more important then ever to draft an edge rusher. If Fowler plays lights out, he will command 20 million per, and if he stinks, we will let him go anyway. Good deal for the Rams, IMHO.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exa

Exactly, we know nothing until we see the guaranteed - someone help me here, insentives do not count against the cap, right?

Incentives break down into "Likely to be earned" and "not likely to be earned". Likely to be earned count against the 2019 cap, not likely will count against the 2020 cap if paid. Likely are basically any that would have been earned in 2020, or any that are based on things like the player reporting on time, etc. So for instance, a bonus for the team making the playoffs would be likely to be earned, having as many sacks as Fowler got in 2018 - likely. Participating in more plays than Fowler actually played in 2018 would be unlikely to be earned, and wouldn't count until 2020.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
So the deal is actually $11 million with $3 mil in incentives. So we retain his rights for one more year and it’ll be completely worth it if he plays like he did in the playoffs. If he leaves next offseason we’ll probably get a third back for him unless he stinks up the joint. So ultimately we would have spent a fifth for a year and a half of his services. Les loves playing the comp pick game.

An I love him doing it. Let Obo get some playing time this year so the Rams can figure out what they have with him.

Turducken

Starter
As I said on another site if correct 14m is a stupid deal period! His stats don't warrant it period. Also I would have signed him for 3 years for 8-10 per with right to cut year 2.

If he blows up this year we don't have any lever next year. There are way better options Smith, Houston, Ford (requires a draft pick) for same or less $
If Dante blows up next year we would still have an opportunity to franchise tag him for about $15m in 2020. If he looks like a long term keeper, then that is decent leverage.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
its being reported its for 14mil for Fowler Jr. NFLN

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I concur wholeheartedly with Rams43 in that getting Dante MuchInDemand Fowler to sign a One Year Prove-It Deal is very smart by Rams Management. Fowler will have to play his brains out, as he saw full well how Les Snead has no hesitation is cutting loose One Year Wonders like Sammy TooLazy! Watkins and Ndamakung (sp) RegularSeasonLoafGuy Suh and turning them into "One Year Rental Free Agents" by letting them go.

Fowler must really wanna play for Wade Oldman&TheDee Phillips and must really like the McVay instilled culture with Los Ramos, because the NY Jets were going to back up the Brink's Truck and install a ATM Machine in Fowler's living room later this week.

Brilliant move by Rams Management. How come we could never pull stuff like this off with Jay BaseballGuy Zygmunt and John DasVampir Shaw huh??
…..oh yeah....never mind:rolllaugh:
You dare bring up the clown show names of Zyg and that other unmentionable on this site?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We may not want the, to but this and the aweddle signing are the kind of moves historically that this front office will check off a position as handled. If the right guy falls I’d like to still take and edge in just not sure Snead will. Honestly I think we’re almost a lock to trade down now.

This just relieved some of the desperation factor for edge rush. I think Les is going to try to do that with as many roster holes as possible to prevent reaching.

But if the group of players at 31 are all similarly graded and has an edge rusher... I have to think that is still the pick. Just don't reach. Get "that player who slid" no matter his position. There is always one like that who drops a bit.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rams are positioning themselves to stay ultra competitive this year before the Goff deal hits next year by bridging the transition of high dollar vets and incoming and existing young to-be-groomed talent to hit the field in 2020. LB's, pass rush, OLine etc. I'd be very surprised if we don't see those same positions addressed in the draft(again) along with secondary.

My take is the Rams are set at QB and skill positions but don't want to be paying out of the ass for FA's elsewhere in the next couple of years.

A one year deal for Fowler right now is perfect. My guess is Noteboom will be our LG this year and move to LT in 2020.

My first reaction; $14MM sounds like a lot. $11MM with incentives sounds more palatable.

My second reaction mirrors your point @Mojo Ram. This is sort of a budget place holder for Goff's extension next year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This just relieved some of the desperation factor for edge rush. I think Les is going to try to do that with as many roster holes as possible to prevent reaching.

But if the group of players at 31 are all similarly graded and has an edge rusher... I have to think that is still the pick. Just don't reach. Get "that player who slid" no matter his position. There is always one like that who drops a bit.
I could see anything picked if we stay at 31. I’ve learned to never predict what Snead will do and I’m starting to not doubt him.

Ram65

Legend
My first reaction; $14MM sounds like a lot. $11MM with incentives sounds more palatable.

My second reaction mirrors your point @Mojo Ram. This is sort of a budget place holder for Goff's extension next year.

Well yes, $11 Million sounds better than $14 Million but, lets see the details of the incentives. Both numbers sound like a lot for a player that was mostly on the bench for the Jags before the trade. He made a few big plays for the Rams but, also disappeared for long stretches. I do think he will get better being with the Rams. I guess the Rams are banking on some improvement. The free agent numbers are pushing these signing over the top.

Can't wait to see what other 3-4 edge rushers sign for.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When you see what other players have started getting in FA, I don't feel as bad about Fowler. Excited to see what he can do with a full off-season in the defense.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Well yes, $11 Million sounds better than $14 Million but, lets see the details of the incentives. Both numbers sound like a lot for a player that was mostly on the bench for the Jags before the trade. He made a few big plays for the Rams but, also disappeared for long stretches. I do think he will get better being with the Rams. I guess the Rams are banking on some improvement. The free agent numbers are pushing these signing over the top.

Can't wait to see what other 3-4 edge rushers sign for.

I think he'll make more of an impact this coming season given that he'll have more time to learn the scheme.

But clearly he's a bridge player to help us figure out how to address the Edge, whether its Obo or a future player.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Wouldn't surprise me if we sign Goff next off-season to that big contract and then Ebukam and Obo are our starters

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wouldn't surprise me if we sign Goff next off-season to that big contract and then Ebukam and Obo are our starters

Or they draft somebody who impresses, and the other side is the winner between Ebu and Obo.

Ram65

Legend
I think he'll make more of an impact this coming season given that he'll have more time to learn the scheme.

But clearly he's a bridge player to help us figure out how to address the Edge, whether its Obo or a future player.

A little scheme but, more effort and technique, He does cover some but, his big value is in rushing the QB by beating the OT. Improvement should come from better technique and effort. This is not just game effort it's practice and workout effort. Fowler seems to be the type that needs positive reinforcement. That's my take at least. The Rams need production off the edge and were willing to pay the price. It would not surprise me if they drafted another edge rusher if available.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
An I love him doing it. Let Obo get some playing time this year so the Rams can figure out what they have with him.

The Rams are NOT in the "figuring out and see what we got stage" We need an upgrade at ILB, ILB opposite Fowler and a good DT to clog middle or we are going to be exactly the same place we were last year and that is not a perscription for winning.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
A little scheme but, more effort and technique, He does cover some but, his big value is in rushing the QB by beating the OT. Improvement should come from better technique and effort. This is not just game effort it's practice and workout effort. Fowler seems to be the type that needs positive reinforcement. That's my take at least. The Rams need production off the edge and were willing to pay the price. It would not surprise me if they drafted another edge rusher if available.

I agree. He's an emotional guy that is doing a lot of thinking when he plays. Hopefully, with a full off season he'll play faster without worrying about assignment as much.
But he's a warrior for sure, and he's incentivized to have a breakout season.
Skys the limit for him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams are NOT in the "figuring out and see what we got stage" We need an upgrade at ILB, ILB opposite Fowler and a good DT to clog middle or we are going to be exactly the same place we were last year and that is not a perscription for winning.

I hope the rams are in the same place they were last year. The d played well enough in the superbowl to win the championship. The offense let the rams down .

RamWoodie

Legend
This is great news because Fowler's a "tweener"...he can go DE or LB and he can do it well. *If* Ebukam can break out (and I think he can), the LB corps will be good.