Rams and Dante Fowler have agreed to terms on a new contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
*Checks bank account and wonders if there is enough for this...oh wait, it's not my money...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.therams.com/news/rams-olb-dante-fowler-agree-to-terms-on-new-contract
Rams, OLB Dante Fowler agree to terms on new contract
Myles Simmons

In advance of the free agency period opening next Wednesday, the Rams have kept one of the best pass rushers off the market by agreeing to terms on a new contract with outside linebacker Dante Fowler. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Los Angeles acquired Fowler in a trade deadline deal on Oct. 30, sending a third and fifth-round pick to Jacksonville for Fowler’s services. The 2015 No. 3 overall pick was instrumental in the Rams’ run to Super Bowl LIII, recording 2.0 sacks, five quarterback hits, and four tackles for loss in the regular season, as well as 1.5 sacks, four tackles for loss, and three quarterback hits in the postseason.

Overall, Fowler has recorded 16.0 sacks, four forced fumbles, five fumble recoveries, 18 tackles for loss, and 27 quarterback hits in three regular seasons between Jacksonville and L.A. While Fowler missed his rookie season in 2015 after suffering an ACL tear during the Jaguars’ rookie minicamp, he’s since played each game for which he was eligible — including nine regular season and postseason starts for the Rams.

https://247sports.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/Article/Rams-re-sign-Dante-Fowler-Jr--129947787/
Rams re-sign Dante Fowler Jr.
ByJordan Dajani

The Los Angeles Rams have had a busy offseason thus far, and they made another big move on the eve of free agency.

On Sunday night, the NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported that Dante Fowler Jr. is headed back to rush the passer for the Los Angeles Rams. According to Rapoport, Fowler signed a one-year $14 million deal, which is somewhat of a prove-it deal. The amount is close to what his fifth-year option would have been, and if he has a big year, he will be able to cash in next season.

Fowler recorded 15 total tackles and two sacks during his eight games with the Rams last season. While those numbers don't raise any eyebrows, it seems like Los Angeles is a place where he can thrive. He took his game to a new level in the playoffs, recording eight total tackles and 1.5 sacks. He also made a play that arguably got the Rams to the Super Bowl.

In overtime of the NFC Championship game, Fowler hit New Orleans Saints quarterbackDrew Brees as he attempted a pass, causing him to loft the ball high in the air and into the arms of Rams safety John Johnson. Teams who win the coin toss in overtime usually win the game, but Fowler made sure that didn't happen.

The Rams traded for the former Jacksonville Jaguar at the trade deadline on Oct. 30. Just a couple of months removed from an AFC Championship appearance, the Jaguars were struggling in the early stages of the season, and so was Fowler. He wasn't a consistent starter or a focal point of the defense. He was also suspended for the first game of the season for"violating team rules and conduct unbecoming of a Jaguars football player."

Fowler told the Jaguars he wanted out, and with just 30 minutes remaining before the 4 PM ET trade deadline on Oct. 30, he finally got the change of scenery he desired.

"It's been a wild ride,"Fowler told Ian Rapoport on his Rap Sheet and Friends podcast. "Just going through this thing I knew I needed a fresh start and that's something I was telling (Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell) about and my agent. Everything worked out the way that it worked out, it was good. When I was going to L.A. I knew I was going to play with (Ndamukong Suh) and (Aaron Donald) ... we from Florida so when we see them they always come on like around 4 o'clock or something like that, but I was able to watch them and I was always like, 'man, that's a good defense.' I saw the pieces that they added in the offseason, and then I got a call saying I was going there. I knew that they were already undefeated, and I just knew that, the mentality that I was in in Jacksonville, I had to take it back to last year when I was with Jacksonville — the championship mentality and I knew I was back playing for a championship-caliber team, a winning team."

When you're on a successful team and winning games, it makes football a little bit more fun. Going from a 3-5 team to an 8-0 team gave Fowler extra motivation to prove his worth as a former No. 3 overall pick.

"My first game was New Orleans, which was a big game, and ever since then every game has been huge so I think that's what's helped me a lot, just all these big games, knowing I that I have to step up and show up," said Fowler. "It's just bringing the best out of me."

Getting Fowler back was not the only big move the Rams have made so far. On Friday, Los Angeles signed former Baltimore Ravens safety Eric Weddle, who had received nearly a dozen offers on the open market.

Weddle spent the first nine seasons with the San Diego Chargers but joined the Ravens in March of 2016, signing a four-year, $26 million deal with $13 million guaranteed. In 12 seasons, Weddle has recorded 833 total tackles, 9.5 sacks, 95 passes defensed, and 29 interceptions. He has been a six-timePro Bowler and two-time All-Pro while helping the Chargers and Ravens alike reach the playoffs.

With starting free safetyLaMarcus Joynerset to hit free agency this week, the Rams realize that he could soon be gone to a different team. Returning to the Super Bowl is the ultimate goal, and finding a key starter in the secondary should improve these odds, and hopefully having Fowler back will as well.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well we can scratch Edge and Safety off the 1st round pick option imo. G/C, NT, ILB and CB still remain there.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well we can scratch Edge and Safety off the 1st round pick option imo. G/C, NT, ILB and CB still remain there.
Yep(y)
Its cost them BIG! Rams blew thru $26.5 million on two players (FS/Edge Rusher). I really have no issues with these decisions. I believed it was more probable that Dante would return than the others.....you keep the old man happy & here with pass rushers ;).

I am sure that Wade wanted to get his hands on DF Jr. in the OTA's TC & preseason. This gives Wade the needed time to set in DF's mind the full Wade design he wants DF to attack the QB from the opposite side of Donald. I really think that DF & AD form a excellent duo to take down the opponents QB quickly.

Now for the big positive....
These pre-emptive move is the Rams’ second significant signing on defense this offseason, after the team agreed to a two-year deal with veteran safety Eric Weddle on Friday. Both moves will not impact the league’s calculus for compensatory draft picks, several of which the Rams could collect, if their other marquee free agents – Rodger Saffold, Lamarcus Joyner or Ndamukong Suh – sign with different teams next week.
:yess:

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep(y)
Its cost them BIG! Rams blew thru $26.5 million on two players (FS/Edge Rusher). I really have no issues with these decisions. I believed it was more probable that Dante would return than the others.....you keep the old man happy & here with pass rushers ;).I am sure that Wade wanted to get his hands on DF Jr. in the OTA's TC & preseason to set in DF's mind. The full Wade design he wants DF to attack the QB from the opposite side of Donald.

Now for the big positive....
These pre-emptive move is the Rams’ second significant signing on defense this offseason, after the team agreed to a two-year deal with veteran safety Eric Weddle on Friday. Both moves will not impact the league’s calculus for compensatory draft picks, several of which the Rams could collect, if their other marquee free agents – Rodger Saffold, Lamarcus Joyner or Ndamukong Suh – sign with different teams next week.
:yess:

Yeah, 1 yr @ $14 mil.... plus Weddle, and we've already spent most of our cap space....

That's counting 2 years of Weddle not just this year though so estimate about 20 million of our 34.5 million. Plenty of money to sign Saffold and Littleton if they choose.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
As I said on another site if correct 14m is a stupid deal period! His stats don't warrant it period. Also I would have signed him for 3 years for 8-10 per with right to cut year 2.

If he blows up this year we don't have any lever next year. There are way better options Smith, Houston, Ford (requires a draft pick) for same or less $

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't think we can do that.
I would not be surprised @ all if a ER's Brian Burns or Jachai Polite are there @ #31 the Rams Org. would be :seizure::yay::wow::banana::cheers: the rest of Thursday Night of the draft as they ran to the podium. But my preference would be DL'er Jeffery Simmons.

I like the One Year deal on DF Jr. myself. I also believe this shows that he wants to be a Ram badly to make this deal before midnight today. I am just :).

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Sounds encouraging to me.

The 1 year prove it aspect seems pretty shrewd to me.

I feel reasonably confident that the Rams didn’t overpay.

Two last thoughts that bring a smile to my face.

1. Fowler must have really wanted to remain with the Rams because he surely would have had multiple teams offering him multi-year deals with significant g-jack. Yet he agreed to a 1 year prove it deal to stay wth the Rams. Clearly, FA’s want to play for the Rams.

2. This leaves one less hole to fill ths offseason. And at one of our biggest need positions.

What agents and players are starting to realize is that the big contracts aren't much bigger than the guarantees if they don't play up to the contract and the bigger it is, the harder it is to live up to.

Also, teams are getting better at using mid level guys and scheme.

It's likely better for Fowler to wait a year and then if he really wants to stay, he has a better chance to get that big contract here since unless Brockers balls out, he'll likely be gone and JFM or someone else will be in his place in 2020. That's another reason why Brockers isn't being extended or contract fiddled with, imho.

Fowler is a really good football player, but he seems young as a person. Immature in the strictest of definitions, he's still at that point in his life where he needs guidance and he's truly found a home in LA.

Short of him being on a 1 year $15M contract, I think the Rams and Fowler have a win-win.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As I said on another site if correct 14m is a stupid deal period! His stats don't warrant it period. Also I would have signed him for 3 years for 8-10 per with right to cut year 2.

If he blows up this year we don't have any lever next year. There are way better options Smith, Houston, Ford (requires a draft pick) for same or less $

Schefter said on tv it was closer to $11M and with incentives could reach up to $14M. I assume if he reaches those incentives the deal was worth it.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Yeah, I'm not that sure. Dumb and immature actions off the field has gotten him both arrested and suspended. And he's an underachiever. Rams gave him.a one year deal because there's no sense in committing longer than that.

Jets via reporter acknowledged that Fowler was their #1 target. No way he doesn't get at least a 3 year deal from them worth some serious jack with guarantees to match.

Doesn't matter what you or I think (or no way Sam Bradford goes all Forrest Gump into every big contract in the NFL...).

The Jets liked him enough that he was their #1 target.

And it only takes one team....and there was one...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Think about this. Yes it's 14 million for next year, but one thing you have to understand that the salary cap jumped up again this year. Plus do we actually sign Suh again that much money or play for a discount? Joyner is probably gone. So there'll be some money left on the table

Suh is almost gonna certainly sign with Minny unless they try to lowball him.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would not be surprised @ all if a ER's Brian Burns or Jachai Polite are there @ #31 the Rams Org. would be :seizure::yay::wow::banana::cheers: the rest of Thursday Night of the draft as they ran to the podium. But my preference would be DL'er Jeffery Simmons.

I like the One Year deal on DF Jr. myself. I also believe this shows that he wants to be a Ram badly to make this deal before midnight today. I am just :).

Yep.

I hate to be that guy, but this entire draft will probably be BPA. Assuming we retain Saffold, our needs for this year are slim to none and a rookie may not start anyways.

But going to next year now - CB, S, OLB, DT, NT, possibly G and WR depending on contracts and what happens - everything should be on the table for this draft.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Actually getting an edge rusher is not entirely a bad idea in the first round. Fowler signing is likely only a bridge, still going to need a replacement next year. Drafting an edge with the 1st rounder and letting him learn is not a bad idea.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Rams are positioning themselves to stay ultra competitive this year before the Goff deal hits next year by bridging the transition of high dollar vets and incoming and existing young to-be-groomed talent to hit the field in 2020. LB's, pass rush, OLine etc. I'd be very surprised if we don't see those same positions addressed in the draft(again) along with secondary.

My take is the Rams are set at QB and skill positions but don't want to be paying out of the ass for FA's elsewhere in the next couple of years.

A one year deal for Fowler right now is perfect. My guess is Noteboom will be our LG this year and move to LT in 2020.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Jets via reporter acknowledged that Fowler was their #1 target. No way he doesn't get at least a 3 year deal from them worth some serious jack with guarantees to match.

Doesn't matter what you or I think (or no way Sam Bradford goes all Forrest Gump into every big contract in the NFL...).

The Jets liked him enough that he was their #1 target.

And it only takes one team....and there was one...

The Jets wanted him!?!?!?!? This is now a confirmed bad signing lol.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think we can do that.
We may not want the, to but this and the aweddle signing are the kind of moves historically that this front office will check off a position as handled. If the right guy falls I’d like to still take and edge in just not sure Snead will. Honestly I think we’re almost a lock to trade down now.

Psycho_X

Legend
So the deal is actually $11 million with $3 mil in incentives. So we retain his rights for one more year and it’ll be completely worth it if he plays like he did in the playoffs. If he leaves next offseason we’ll probably get a third back for him unless he stinks up the joint. So ultimately we would have spent a fifth for a year and a half of his services. Les loves playing the comp pick game.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
We may not want the, to but this and the aweddle signing are the kind of moves historically that this front office will check off a position as handled
Handled for one season, i agree. I'd expect these positions to be further addressed in the draft, UDFA and other teams' vet cap casualties as the offseason unfolds.

I've never claimed to know what teams are always thinking but i think i understand the Rams' ongoing plan.
tenor.gif