Rams and Dante Fowler have agreed to terms on a new contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Sounds like it's a prove it deal not just for Fowler, but Obo too. He gives us flexibility to see what Obo can do as opposed to reaching for a pass rusher in the draft (though I'm sure we'd pick one up if the pickings were too good to pass).

Ram65

Legend
I think he'll make more of an impact this coming season given that he'll have more time to learn the scheme.

But clearly he's a bridge player to help us figure out how to address the Edge, whether its Obo or a future player.

I agree. He's an emotional guy that is doing a lot of thinking when he plays. Hopefully, with a full off season he'll play faster without worrying about assignment as much.
But he's a warrior for sure, and he's incentivized to have a breakout season.
Skys the limit for him.

D'Marco Farr said the same thing more or less. DF was feeling more comfortable with the system later in the season. He will be even more comfortable with OTAs and camp. So knowing the scheme better will make him better and the players around him better by knowing what he can and will do. I didn't think that was the case but, it makes sense. I forgot he played in a 4-3 defense with the Jags.

The whole podcast is worth a listen. Fowler talk is after the Weddle talk starts just after 9:00 minute mark.

https://www.therams.com/podcasts/between-the-horns

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Fowler definitely seemed to bond with Donald. Or, at least, that was the optics on the sideline.

Being a winner, and that bond w/Donald, probably helped nudge him in our direction. I wish there was a 2nd year tacked on to give us a little more control after the season.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Good deal in my opinion. Fowler played very well for us last year and, most notably, appears to be a player who saves his best snaps for the biggest moments. He came up clutch several times.

I was surprised how stout he was against the run too. Teams really didn't have much success running on him. And he had a habit of delivering big hits to help set the tone. He laid out Zeke Elliott against the Cowboys in the playoffs. And he was also trucking opponents early on in the Super Bowl.

Fowler is still very young and should have nowhere to go but up. Indeed, his play with the Rams last year suggests that he is on a steep upward trajectory. That's the kind of player you don't mind paying a premium for, unlike a more veteran player whose level of play has flat-lined or, worse, shows signs of decline or reasons to fear decline's approach, which causes apprehension.

And she seems to really enjoy being a Ram. Not just with his comments since joining the team (being thankful to land with a franchise that he feels appreciates him, noting how he felt hard done by in Jacksonville and the depression that ensued, etc) but also by backing those up by taking less money to stay in Horns. That's a very good thing.

He should be even better next year as he gets to spend training camp and OTAs with the Rams.

I am excited about Fowler and think he is primed to have a huge break-out year. He didn't come overly cheap, but DEs are never cheap if they are young, of decent quality, and do not have hugely visible warts. The contract is definitely fair and reasonable. This draft does have good talent on the defensive line. But lest we forget, Dante Fowler was even more highly touted than all (or almost all.....) of them when he came out of college only a few years ago. It appears Snead and McVay share my optimism on Dante Fowler, as they signed him to a decent sized deal, when many thought he was as good as done due to the financials.

I don't mind the one year deal, either. As bullish as I am on Fowler, if he really wants to get paid, those sack totals need to go up. If they don't, we can probably assume he is what he is, and move on. If he breaks out, we can then decide if we want to pony up.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Good deal in my opinion. Fowler played very well for us last year and, most notably, appears to be a player who saves his best snaps for the biggest moments. He came up clutch several times.

I was surprised how stout he was against the run too. Teams really didn't have much success running on him. And he had a habit of delivering big hits to help set the tone. He laid out Zeke Elliott against the Cowboys in the playoffs. And he was also trucking opponents early on in the Super Bowl.

Fowler is still very young and should have nowhere to go but up. Indeed, his play with the Rams last year suggests that he is on a steep upward trajectory. That's the kind of player you don't mind paying a premium for, unlike a more veteran player whose level of play has flat-lined or, worse, shows signs of decline or reasons to fear decline's approach, which causes apprehension.

And she seems to really enjoy being a Ram. Not just with his comments since joining the team (being thankful to land with a franchise that he feels appreciates him, noting how he felt hard done by in Jacksonville and the depression that ensued, etc) but also by backing those up by taking less money to stay in Horns. That's a very good thing.

He should be even better next year as he gets to spend training camp and OTAs with the Rams.

I am excited about Fowler and think he is primed to have a huge break-out year. He didn't come overly cheap, but DEs are never cheap if they are young, of decent quality, and do not have hugely visible warts. The contract is definitely fair and reasonable. This draft does have good talent on the defensive line. But lest we forget, Dante Fowler was even more highly touted than all (or almost all.....) of them when he came out of college only a few years ago. It appears Snead and McVay share my optimism on Dante Fowler, as they signed him to a decent sized deal, when many thought he was as good as done due to the financials.

I don't mind the one year deal, either. As bullish as I am on Fowler, if he really wants to get paid, those sack totals need to go up. If they don't, we can probably assume he is what he is, and move on. If he breaks out, we can then decide if we want to pony up.

The big numbers is hurries. Hurries lead to incompletes and interceptions.