Rams and Dante Fowler have agreed to terms on a new contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed: $12M is too much for him. But I understand where the Rams are coming from... They didn't want to go into the draft with glaring deficiency there at the edge and overpaying a bit for a one year deal is an acceptable trade off.

I am just thankful we didn't pay him a multi year deal. He might really take off and develop finally under this staff, but personally I don't think he's ever going to be able to sustain a level of play commensurate with his draft status. So I view this as a one year rental to ensure we're not too short on talent on the roster, and they buy time to see if they can develop something in-house and/or address it in next year's draft.

It will sort of be like NT, where they bought time with Suh then let him leave for the comp pick and they can address the hole in the roster in a very stout DL draft. So it's all good.

It's certainly more money than we wanted to spend. But given the contracts being given out in free agency, I'm not sure it's correct to say that it's too much for him. It's just the way the market goes - especially assuming a premium for the shortness of the contract.

But yes, it will give the Rams an opportunity to draft or develop an edge rusher or two. If he does well and then leaves, he likely will get more than he would going free agent this year, and get the Rams a better comp pick, although a year later. And it keeps the Rams from needing to trade another draft pick midseason to fill that hole.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Agreed: $12M is too much for him. But I understand where the Rams are coming from... They didn't want to go into the draft with glaring deficiency there at the edge and overpaying a bit for a one year deal is an acceptable trade off.

I am just thankful we didn't pay him a multi year deal. He might really take off and develop finally under this staff, but personally I don't think he's ever going to be able to sustain a level of play commensurate with his draft status. So I view this as a one year rental to ensure we're not too short on talent on the roster, and they buy time to see if they can develop something in-house and/or address it in next year's draft.

It will sort of be like NT, where they bought time with Suh then let him leave for the comp pick and they can address the hole in the roster in a very stout DL draft. So it's all good.
How much serious heartburn do you think the Rams were going through last season @ the edge rusher positions?

I am sure they do not want to have a repeat of that. Wade D lives or dies based on the ability to apply serious pass rush pressure on the QB. Wade is long in the tooth & if the Rams had ignored the ER position or went into the TC with so many unknown quantities of ER players might have caused some serious considerations of retirement. Then having six DL free agents departures of Suh/ Westbrooks/ Easley/ Morgan Fox/ Dante Fowler/ Matt Longacre & throw in the loss of three LB'ers of Hager/ Wilson & Barron.

You & I seem to be running together here that Snead is going to try to keep Wade happy in this upcoming draft on the defensive side. The first two days of the draft with our 3 selections being Wade training material.

Ram65

Legend
The initial shock of Fowler getting $14 Million has worn off some. Now, It's $12 Million + $2 Million incentives. I originally thought he was worth $6-$7 Million at the end of the season or there abouts. Figured Rams would a have to over pay him as a free agent. So I could live with $24 to $27 Million for three years. After reading estimates in $13-$14 Million range I said let him walk. He isn't worth that much.

The reality is NFL edge rushers are a must for NFL teams. They are hard to find and cost a lot of money. Last year I was wanting an edge rusher early in the draft but, the Rams trade for Cooks. I wrote early that I think Fowler will get better with the Rams because it's a good place for him to grow. I hope he grows to be worth the$12+ Million this year. Considering what teams are throwing out for free agents the Rams made a smart play here. There really isn't much of an alternative but, to pay Fowler. The Rams still need to find more NFL edge rushers to add to the potential players they have.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I think one thing people are overlooking is Fowler's impact against the run. I thought that he played great against the run. He made plays in every playoff game as well as a few regular season games, including his first game as a Ram.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
How much serious heartburn do you think the Rams were going through last season @ the edge rusher positions?

I am sure they do not want to have a repeat of that. Wade D lives or dies based on the ability to apply serious pass rush pressure on the QB. Wade is long in the tooth & if the Rams had ignored the ER position or went into the TC with so many unknown quantities of ER players might have caused some serious considerations of retirement. Then having six DL free agents departures of Suh/ Westbrooks/ Easley/ Morgan Fox/ Dante Fowler/ Matt Longacre & throw in the loss of three LB'ers of Hager/ Wilson & Barron.

You & I seem to be running together here that Snead is going to try to keep Wade happy in this upcoming draft on the defensive side. The first two days of the draft with our 3 selections being Wade training material.

Yeah I think the Rams have done a great job of trying to retool this defense on the fly to get Wade what he wants. The roster still isn't there either. He had some non-optimal fits going on and had to do some smoke an mirrors plus had some vet BS going on where they turned it on come the playoffs. Which is not ideal.

So the blindside rush remains a huge question and need. It's better than it was last season, Fowler did hold things down pretty good but he looked moreso like a LOLB which is where Ebu and Obo probably fit too. Basically if and when they can find a good consistent blindside rush this defense will definitely start to click the way it does when it's at its best.

IMO the "rebuild" should be pretty much done by the time this draft is over, when they bring in a big body or two for the DL and hopefully find a solid ILB at the least. And then next offseason they need to make some decisions at corner and continue building depth. Oh and if they don't find the ROLB this draft that also will push into next year's draft.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I think one thing people are overlooking is Fowler's impact against the run. I thought that he played great against the run. He made plays in every playoff game as well as a few regular season games, including his first game as a Ram.
yes, I was so tired of watching our OLB's (and some former 4-3 DE's) get washed out of run plays for big gainers. Fowler made impact plays against the run. If I was the other team in fact I'd run on whatever side Fowler wasn't.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Agents aren't puppeteers. Fowler likely chose staying over going.

Typically players don't settle for one year prove it deals on the eve of free agency unless there aren't any demonstrably better options. Either Fowler made a stunningly poor business decision, or most likely, realized the market isn't that hot for a player with four sacks, and took the Rams offer in hopes of cashing in next year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Typically players don't settle for one year prove it deals on the eve of free agency unless there aren't any demonstrably better options. Either Fowler made a stunningly poor business decision, or most likely, realized the market isn't that hot for a player with four sacks, and took the Rams offer in hopes of cashing in next year.

Or Fowler made what he deemed a smart business decision. He chose a scheme known for helping players produce, a contender, and playing next to the best defensive player in football to earn himself more guaranteed money. Rather than taking a high-value, long-term deal without a lot of guaranteed money, he chose the one year deal in hopes he puts up a year that will allow him to cash in next off-season with a lot of guaranteed dollars. It makes perfect sense.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Plus he’s not exactly losing money with $12M in salary with $2M more in incentives. His only risk is injury. If he continues to improve in this scheme and as a player, he’ll make out like a bandit.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Plus he’s not exactly losing money with $12M in salary with $2M more in incentives. His only risk is injury. If he continues to improve in this scheme and as a player, he’ll make out like a bandit.

Yeah, there's a gamble he doesn't have a major injury. But for the first time in years, he's been improving his value to the NFL. If it continues, he'll get a lot more in 2020 than he would have this year. And the 2020 contract will likely be most of the value for his career. He is young, and will still be reasonably young next year. It makes sense to maximize his one big shot - especially with a one year contract that is - frankly - enough to live on very comfortably his whole life if he's smart.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
Or Fowler made what he deemed a smart business decision. He chose a scheme known for helping players produce, a contender, and playing next to the best defensive player in football to earn himself more guaranteed money. Rather than taking a high-value, long-term deal without a lot of guaranteed money, he chose the one year deal in hopes he puts up a year that will allow him to cash in next off-season with a lot of guaranteed dollars. It makes perfect sense.

Well the market wasn’t that hot for a DE/OLB

This draft is full of DE & the market had a bunch of Pass rushers as well.

The Rams value DF made him a priority. He was the 3rd or 4th overall pick by JV, & was not a good fit.His numbers were down.

—Exactly J32 a good fit as DF really improved & has a solid coaching staff behind him.The upside is there .

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Funny about him not being that good a fit in Jville. Was reading Walters Football mock draft (don't ask me why, cuz I don't even know) and they projected an edge rusher to us...because we might lose Fowler and, get this, this guy's good in a 4-3.

I mean... where to start?

I guess I clicked on his site because I wanted to be pummeled to death with adds that choke my workstation level computer...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

I'll do it for $6M... just sayin'

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's also worth noting that the Rams could look at this as a two year deal - because now that we have him this upcoming year, we have more cap space and most likely will use the tag next year (whether it's on him or someone else).

So if Fowler performs, we franchise him and it's only a few million more than what we're paying him now.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
That's completely wrong. The market has been scorching hot for edge rushers.

Well I guess the point is the need & flooded market . Next your there should be a bigger need with less DE/OLB on the market ??
Teams can fill the space in the draft ??

As a Rams fan I hope no DE/OLB go until The Rams draft. Rumor is at least 10-14 will go in 1st rd ??

I like the fit DF brings & upside. The Rams seem to find a way to keep 1st picks on the Defensive Line.