Rams and Dante Fowler have agreed to terms on a new contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Ho hum, yet another home run from McSnead.

Rams are really starting to gain a competitive advantage due to all these guys who WANT to be here and willing to dismiss better offers from other teams...

Just off the top of my head—Talib, Weddle, Suh, and now Fowler...

tempests

Hall of Fame
1. Fowler must have really wanted to remain with the Rams because he surely would have had multiple teams offering him multi-year deals with significant g-jack. Yet he agreed to a 1 year prove it deal to stay wth the Rams.

Yeah, I'm not that sure. Dumb and immature actions off the field has gotten him both arrested and suspended. And he's an underachiever. Rams gave him.a one year deal because there's no sense in committing longer than that.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Love it , have him prove he can be a consistent playmaker.

Hes still very young , this gives him a chance to show the team that hes worth a big extension.

2 holes on defense filled

Psycho_X

Legend
$14 million for one year.

A little pricey but I like prove it deals. Should be well motivated and he was definitely an asset for us down the road and in the playoffs.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Still only 24 years of age, his best football ahead of him and now Safety & Edge have been addressed!
usa_today_10033848.0.jpg

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow. I figured they would do this as a fifth year option and spin it that way to Fowler - but I hadn't looked it up to see how much that would be.

With no other moves (which I'm sure there will be), once we tender the RFAs, we'll be down to around 10-15 million in cap space - that means we can probably only sign one more player (to any kind of significant money).

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Think about this. Yes it's 14 million for next year, but one thing you have to understand that the salary cap jumped up again this year. Plus do we actually sign Suh again that much money or play for a discount? Joyner is probably gone. So there'll be some money left on the table

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
If we used the franchise tag, we would've owed him an extra $1M...I'm not seeing how this was a bad move for the Rams at all, money wise.

dang

Legend
The Rams may have overpaid a bit but only for one year. The negative is this eats into about half of the remaining cap.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
If we used the franchise tag, we would've owed him an extra $1M...I'm not seeing how this was a bad move for the Rams at all, money wise.
Yeah, it's worth paying a premium to keep the deal at one year, giving them more financial flexibility next year. If he really breaks out, it also keeps the franchise tag in play for another season.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
14M?! That's a lot of money for 2 sacks or projected 4 if he was a Ram all year. If you are going to pay him 14M you might as well tried to get him for 2 years and guarantee 14 of it. Rams give him the opportunity to play and develop and then let him walk?

Great deal for the player! Finds a team to play him and maybe pad some stats and hit FA again next year at 25.

Fowler was a decent upgrade last year but hardly a 14M player IMO. Good news its a 1 year deal, but if he turns his career around the bad news its a 1 year deal.

Psycho_X

Legend
Someone tweeted that Schefter said it was more like $11 million but can’t find proof of that yet. That would be more what I was hoping for. Either way, great young talent who was just coming on at end of year. If he can play like he did in the playoffs for 16 games he’ll have a 10 sack season with lots of game changing plays. He was a force in the run game as well.