Rams and Dante Fowler have agreed to terms on a new contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Great news Fowler is coming back. He is in a spot where he can flourish, sure looks like he sees that. As for the money, its only a one year deal, Rams can still look at a pass rusher in the draft, and Oko is back from injury.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With this signing Snead is giving Wade the same basic very young edge rushing unit that the Rams team rode to the SB within 2018....the positive here is five of this 2018 ER unit will have a full plus NFL season, postseason & SB games worth of experience.

The same two starters will be on tap Ebukam/Fowler but now DF Jr. will get the chance to be blended in with the other youngsters & this early season avoid being thrown into the fire like the last mid-season. Both Ebukam & DF will start their only 2nd season as starters.

We all know that DF's 2015 talents & skills level were graded higher than any defensive player in this year's upcoming draft by a very wide margin. DF is also something else "Versatile"!

DF started 11 of the Rams 19 games in 2018. by the end of the season Wade would have DF lined up as a standard standing left side 34 D OLB rushing the passer, or the next snap he will flip with Ebukam on either side as an OLB rushing the passer, the next DF might be standing up taking a zone drop. Other times DF was in a 3 point stance in a 43 DL. On some downs, there was no telling where he would line up or what the heck he would be doing, but DF always seemed to make an impact on those money downs. Just think Saints in the NFC Championship gm. But have I mentioned that he can set the edge in run defense too?

DF was supposed to be the perfect NFL Strong-side 3-4 Defensive outside linebacker only needing some coaching expert to addresses his rush technique... who do we have that can fix that. Question: I would ask... has Dante Jr. ever really got that in any of that in all his Training Camps or preseasons with the Jags?:thinking::whistle:

Ebukam was drafted as a project in 2017. A 3rd-day draft selection that the Rams knew would not make any significant impact right away. What we have seen the last 2 seasons is Ebukam who is still in the process of matching his skills to his athletic ability. Many members here are tuned in to his many unrefined in areas in his 2018 performance. I know Wade loves his gained experience dropping into coverage which he does demand @ times from his OLB'ers are all positives. I still have hope here that his 40-yard dash in 4.45 seconds will be utilized more often once he figures how to use it more often (recall the KC game).

All the below half dozen ER's have all been acquired since Wade arrived & he has had a hand in retaining them. Wade's ultra young Edge Rushing unit of :

Fowler 25/5
Ebukam 24/3
Sickels 24/2
Lawler 24/2
Young 23/2
Okoronkwo 23/R

Just may be better than we really believe. :sneaky:

Last edited:

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Tells me the years with Jacksonville and last year wouldn't amount to much of a payday. So he needs another year to prove he is worth a big deal.
It’s already been shown that Fowler was the Jets #1 priority. So he could have his said payday with them, but as it is, they didn’t even get a whiff of him. So yes Fowler wanted to be a Ram.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It’s already been shown that Fowler was the Jets #1 priority. So he could have his said payday with them, but as it is, they didn’t even get a whiff of him. So yes Fowler wanted to be a Ram.

Also, we've seen the silly money being thrown around... just look at what Kwon Alexander got.... yeesh!

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
How was it shown, and for how much money. I admit to not watching the offseason closely and I apologize up front if I missed it. A one year deal generally means 2 things, unless said player has already made his money and is looking for a ring. The player doesn't demand a big payday for what ever reason or the team he signs with isn't sold on him and doesn't want to risk a multi year deal, for what ever reason. Nobody gives up a multi year deal for the money they want to play for one year with any team.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
How was it shown, and for how much money. I admit to not watching the offseason closely and I apologize up front if I missed it. A one year deal generally means 2 things, unless said player has already made his money and is looking for a ring. The player doesn't demand a big payday for what ever reason or the team he signs with isn't sold on him and doesn't want to risk a multi year deal, for what ever reason. Nobody gives up a multi year deal for the money they want to play for one year with any team.
Well I read the thread a little further and I see the report. I still am skeptical. Don't know the reporter.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Well I read the thread a little further and I see the report. I still am skeptical. Don't know the reporter.
Thanks for finding that report, it saved me from doing all that work. :cool:
The reporter helped me with my perspective, so I’m sure we can trust him.:D
Actually I’m skeptical of just about every reporter, especially with a rumor such as this one that can never be substantiated.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, we'll see how much Barr signs with the Jets for, but it'll almost certainly be less as he was a secondary option.

Considering the money Landon Collins, Kwon Alexander and CJ Mosely got, it's safe to say that the Jets, 9ers and others aren't going to fart around nickel and diming guys early in FA because they aren't "destinations", they're a paycheck that the FO is hoping to turn into a "destination".

Pretty certain that if Fowler had signed with them, we'd be hearing about a really eyebrow raising number...

Weddle is the only signing we've seen thus far that was for a moderate amount. Everyone else is getting PAID.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
A little steep, yeah, but the cap went up $10mil; so his contract only ate into the previously existing cap by $2-4mil.

Is he worth all that $$? That's why the 1 yr deal. He was one of the best Ram defenders down the stretch and into the postseason. He steadily improved in this defense by expanding his game. If he comes out playing where he left off, this defense is gonna be in good shape.

For $14 mil I would rather see Fowler back over Suh. Based on what I saw in Fowler's growth last year, I am still holding on to hope that he turns into that #3 pick spent on him. He's still only 24!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Fowler is now well worth that 3rd rd comp pick we gave up for him.
Yes somebody in this Rams org. has plenty of good working brain cells to be able to see all the good that has happened since the Rams traded for Dante Fowler Jr.

If this youthful 6 player ER cadre can remain healthy this upcoming season...unlike what happen to Wade last season with Longacre/ Fox/ Easley/ Young /Okoronkwo .....things may really heat :fuelfire: up on QB hunting from the edge .....:shooting::double::wabbit:

It's all starts with the resigning of Dante Fowler getting a full dose of Wade's coaching team working with him & the others in the upcoming OTA's Training Camp & Preseason. Wonder what new coach Eric Henderson will impact to this young ER cadre in conjunction with his DL?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Are we just looking at the lacking consistent pass rush here.... or are you considering the overall full package that DF Jr brings in setting the edge & closing in fast in the backfield in the run game?

IMO DF is just learning how good he can be in shutting down the run game crashing in from the standing ER position. He can be AD like in getting to the RB as he gets the hand off from the QB he is that fast in his first step. DF was not good in the Jags 43 D working from that 3 point stance.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Agreed: $12M is too much for him. But I understand where the Rams are coming from... They didn't want to go into the draft with glaring deficiency there at the edge and overpaying a bit for a one year deal is an acceptable trade off.

I am just thankful we didn't pay him a multi year deal. He might really take off and develop finally under this staff, but personally I don't think he's ever going to be able to sustain a level of play commensurate with his draft status. So I view this as a one year rental to ensure we're not too short on talent on the roster, and they buy time to see if they can develop something in-house and/or address it in next year's draft.

It will sort of be like NT, where they bought time with Suh then let him leave for the comp pick and they can address the hole in the roster in a very stout DL draft. So it's all good.