LB Micah Kiser

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
We looked much more physical last night which we wanted to see.

We look like a top D in the making but that might require one or two more pieces. We will see.

The scheme looked great and players were in position to make plays

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Barring injury, Elliot is a hot prospect to lead the league for the 3rd time. That play where he juked 5 players was pretty awesome. He made it look easy. It isn’t. Practically every other RB would have been sandwiched out of bounds. He goes in for the score

(y) While watching the game, I said that to myself a few times. He made plays I don’t think other RB’s make.

... every game, the RB is a different matchup... speed guys present different issues. But Zeke impressed me Sunday.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
You mean Micah Kiser the 3 year vet?

Yeah top tier player rated with 48.5 grade yesterday..

HOF Ram player lets retire his number.

Seriously he'd probably have a better time defending those carnivorous dogs than he would against some NFL players.
Settle down, now.

Kiser’s first regular season defensive snaps came Sunday night. Nobody is calling him “top tier” or a HOFer. All anyone is saying is give the guy a chance before throwing him on the scrap heap.

And it’s carnivorous HOGS, not DOGS. Death by hogs is far more gruesome and, for bacon eaters, ironic.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We looked much more physical last night which we wanted to see.

We look like a top D in the making but that might require one or two more pieces. We will see.

The scheme looked great and players were in position to make plays

I have enjoyed reading your thoughts this morning @TheTackle (y)

One thing that REALLY struck me Sunday night... “we seemed confident and in control”. I am still trying to pin down why I felt that vibe... but I did.

Something about the game plan felt one step ahead, all game long.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's give some credit to the Cowboys, heh? Dak is tough to sack, Zeke is perhaps the most complete RB in the league (following Gurley's injuries) and their OL (despite missing household names) played extremely well both on the edge and interior.
That's fair, and that's why I want to see how it plays out. I just hated how it looked this week. I'm not about to call the season over after one week (with a win) of poor LB play.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was Kiser who tipped the ball thus saving us from a PI in the 2nd half. Collinsworth credited Donald for it, but it was Kiser.
Hard to say what to think about the Lb's or the D in general. 1st half was tough to watch, 2nd half was a different story

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
It was Kiser who tipped the ball thus saving us from a PI in the 2nd half. Collinsworth credited Donald for it, but it was Kiser.
Hard to say what to think about the Lb's or the D in general. 1st half was tough to watch, 2nd half was a different story

That tip was a huge play for us.

For a guy playing his first Defensive snaps in a real NFL game...vs. the league's leading rusher, and a well above average offensive line, he did pretty well.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That tip was a huge play for us.

For a guy playing his first Defensive snaps in a real NFL game...vs. the league's leading rusher, and a well above average offensive line, he did pretty well.

I will admit that I was THRILLED when the Rams drafted Kiser and I still hope that he proves to be the Rams answer at MLB!!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

A “missed tackle” can mean a lot of things and not only are the types of missed tackles varied — from the embarrassing whiff to the embarrassing stiff (arm) — but so are the degree to which an outlet will count something as a missed or broken tackle. However, if Micah Kiser even came close to seven missed tackles in his first career start then the Rams could have an issue at linebacker.

Beyond the previously known issues at linebacker.
There were many exciting aspects to how LA’s defense played against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday night. According to ProFootballFocus, Dak Prescott was the second-most pressured quarterback in the NFL this week and that’s a big reason why the Rams held a top-ranked offense to 17 points and won their SoFi Stadium debut. Not only did Aaron Donald finish with a sack and four QB hits, plus sacks for Leonard Floyd and Michael Brockers, but they did so with all-pro guard Zack Martin having one of his worst performances against a defensive line to date.

Games like this one should give confidence to a unit that lost A’Shawn Robinson before it actually got him. Part of the reason for that could have something to do with Kiser, who Pro-Football-Reference listed as having blitzed four times, as much as the rest of the defense combined. We had speculated on players like Floyd or Samson Ebukam (two blitzes) as being the linebackers who’d attack the pocket but Kiser was that guy on Sunday night.
If he was also the type of guy to miss half of his tackle opportunities, then Sean McVay and Brandon Staley have some work to do before playing the Philadelphia Eagles and the other remaining 14 games.

According to P-F-R, Kiser had seven tackles and seven missed tackles, by far the highest total of missed tackles in the NFL. Panthers rookie safety/linebacker Jeremy Chinn had five missed tackles against the Las Vegas Raiders and Jets linebacker Harvey Langi, a 28-year-old with barely a pro track record to his name until this week, had four.
Micah Kiser trying time arm tackle Zeke
— Ramuel L Jackson (@RamuelLJackson) September 14, 2020
ILB Micah Kiser blew his responsibility covering Zeke in the flat, then missed the tackle. Nice job buddy.
— The Giant Insider Newspaper & Podcast (@GiantInsider) September 14, 2020
Having two and three more missed tackles then second and third place may not seem like “by far” but Kiser’s seven missed tackles would be more than double any other player other than a rookie playing a new position in his first game and a journeyman on potentially the worst team in the league. Not only that, but I can’t even fathom a player continuing a pace of seven missed tackles — or even near it.

I’m not sure which game had the most missed tackles in 2019 because I can’t find a P-F-R tool that will allow me to do that, but the leader in missed tackles for the season was Nick Vigil of the Cincinnati Bengals, who had 21. Kiser would be one-third of the way to last season’s leader with fifteen-sixteenth of the season left to go.

If the missed tackles weren’t bad enough for one game’s worth on the resume, Kiser was also credited with allowing three receptions on six targets in his direction, including a touchdown.
It’s not that Kiser did everything wrong.
Micah Kiser with the clutch 3rd down tip on @SNFonNBC #HoosInTheNFL #GoHoos pic.twitter.com/crFPGxXaGV
— Ole Va ⚔️ (@oleuva) September 14, 2020
And Kiser wasn’t the only Rams player on defense to struggle with the wrap-and-trap because as a team they were credited with 15 missed or broken tackles. That included three by rookie star Jordan Fuller and two from Jalen Ramsey.

Chinn and Langi were in unique positions on Sunday, far from experienced veterans, and that was also the case for Kiser. A 2018 fifth round pick who played in zero defensive snaps as a rookie and missed all of his second season only to return in 2020 to a unit that had lost its two or three best players and was now defaulting him to play in 72 snaps in Week 1 against an offense that has players like Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott and Michael Gallup, one of the better receivers in the league at forcing missed tackles.

Could seven missed tackles be jitters against an elite offense? Could it be partially caused by his assignment to blitz four times and learning new skills and attributes on the fly? He’s only four more missed tackles from having a higher total than any Rams defensive player last season, so the answers to those questions will need to be found by McVay and Staley soon.
If not a more pleasant definition of a “missed tackle.”

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend
Kiser had this problem in college if I remember correctly. Not THAT bad but still liked to whiff on tackles at times. But the positive plays far outweighed the missed tackles that he had. He tends to go for that big hit that players tend to do and smart offensive players take advantage of it... we used to have someone like that named Ogeltree lol. NFL players will make you pay far more often so it's something he'll have to learn to minimize if he wants to be a quality starter. He still flashed here and there.

Week 1 I'll forgive missed tackles by players with no real tackle football practices leading up to it. Got to tighten it up.

Ram65

Legend
He was playing zone in the middle when Dallas was doing crosser. Hard to switch off the TE (IIRC) and pick up Elliott. His anticipation was a little slow on the run plays. He hasn't had much live-action since college. Kiser made some plays. I was expecting a little more from him. I'll give him some more games to see if he picks up the pace.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm sorry, but that's why I want to draft two inside linebackers in this class. I don't entirely trust Kiser (although that tip was pivotal in the game), I don't trust Young or Reeder at all, Howard is injured, and Hollins is unproven at best.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Nothing was as bad as the 5 faked out defenders inside the 10 yd line on Zeke's 20yd TD. Although one of them was Kiser. That was embarrassing.

Screenshot (36).jpg
Screenshot (37).jpg

Psycho_X

Legend
Nothing was as bad as the 5 faked out defenders inside the 10 yd line on Zeke's 20yd TD. Although one of them was Kiser. That was embarrassing.

View attachment 38999View attachment 39001

This was by far the most pissed I was the entire game (aside from the none call facemask interception). There is no reason four of them should be strolling out of bounds at the same time spread out like that. They should all be playing the sideline which means none of them should be within a couple yards of it until Zeke gets there so they can push him out for an easy stop. Fuller looks like he was at least taking an angle to do that until the first two whiff and make Zeke cutback. Hill assumed the play was over which isn't good either as he was the only one actually in position to play contain. So frustrating.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
#59 ILB Kiser
#22 CB Hill
#32 SS Fuller
#43 FS JJ III
Either #41 Young ILB or #45 OLB Okoronkwo

I wonder why the Rams have four ILB'ers signed to their Practice Squad?
David Bituli Rookie
Christian Roseboom Rookie
Derrick Moncrief 2nd season
Natrez Patrick 2nd season

Last edited:

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think he is a complete liability. He was often late to the party when attacking the run. Though he did have a couple of his own plays there as well. He is so damn slow. So...so...so...slow.

In my opinion, there has to be a free agent ILB out there that we can give a job to on the cheap for a year. What are we going to do against Russ or That fast ass toddler size QB in Arizona? He sure as shit can't spy.

I hope it was just jitters and he comes out this week and kicks some ass...we need it.