How Good Is Sammy Watkins?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BTW, worth mentioning that I reviewed some of Evans's and Watkins's targets dating back to their freshman years...and I am going to give Watkins the edge now. He's my #1 WR prospect. I think evaluating is about going with what the film shows you instead of entrenching yourself into a stance...and watching more film, Watkins has answered some of the concerns I have. He's my #1 WR currently.

But I think it's more likely that we need up with Evans because odds are greater he's there at #13.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Seriously, I'd rather see how quick goes next season. It's his 3rd year and alot of wrs start to get it in their 3rd year. He looked like a monster against the panthers but Sam got injured and Clemens was just unable to hook up with him.

Clowney or Matthews with the 1st pick then maybe dennard with the second. Oline in the second.

If the Browns trade up take their 1st from next year instead of this year and get the stud wr next year if quick doesn't work out.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think I have a comparison for Watkins. Been struggling to come up with one. Michael Crabtree(or Justin Blackmon...they were very similar players) with 4.3 speed.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I think I have a comparison for Watkins. Been struggling to come up with one. Michael Crabtree(or Justin Blackmon...they were very similar players) with 4.3 speed.
I don't see that. Watkns doesn't move like those guys at all. He moves more like Roddy White, but Sammy is much more explosive. His burst is phenomenal for a guy his size. You rarely get a chance to draft a WR like Watkins.

I think we gotta take Watkins somehow. We can get an OT at #13 that Boudreau likes.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see that. Watkns doesn't move like those guys at all. He moves more like Roddy White, but Sammy is much more explosive. His burst is phenomenal for a guy his size. You rarely get a chance to draft a WR like Watkins.

I think we gotta take Watkins somehow. We can get an OT at #13 that Boudreau likes.

I don't agree. Crabtree moves just like Watkins. It's why he's so difficult to tackle. He just doesn't have Watkins speed.

I also disagree with the final two sentences. If Watkins is good value, take him. But I don't feel like we have to do anything. Nor do I really like the OT options at #13.

If Jake Matthews or Clowney is on the board, I'm taking them. Same for Bridgewater. If they're gone, Watkins would be near or at the top of my list.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Watkins has been on the radar for NFL scouts a while now.

I'm seeing a lot of the WR screens and handing the ball to him in motion that makes me think in our offense he IS Tavon. But like I said I have never seen him before tonight. Maybe that is just the game plan for tonight?

No, that's how they use him every game. Check out this article http://www.daytondailynews.com/feed...s-clemson-2014-taking-a-closer-look-at/fWnLD/

That's one of my main concerns with him. It's something that shouldn't be a concern, but with the Rams it is. Especially if we're sticking with Schotty for the long run. He already has a hard enough time drawing up plays for Austin, and even biting the bullet to give it to him unconventionally. Fisher was responsible in designing handful of gadget plays he saw this year. As of right now I think adding a proven veteran to the WR corps who doesn't break the bank is the best option for Sam in this offense. I'm personally a little concerned about Watkins durability as well, but that's just me.

That said he is a great talent, and I would have no problem accepting it if the Rams drafted him. Shit, knowing the Rams they could take Matthews 2nd overall, and trade up themselves to get Watkins.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I don't agree. Crabtree moves just like Watkins. It's why he's so difficult to tackle. He just doesn't have Watkins speed.

I also disagree with the final two sentences. If Watkins is good value, take him. But I don't feel like we have to do anything. Nor do I really like the OT options at #13.

If Jake Matthews or Clowney is on the board, I'm taking them. Same for Bridgewater. If they're gone, Watkins would be near or at the top of my list.

Just look at them. Now tell me Watkins looks more like Crabtree. LOL.

I'm pretty sure Fisher isn't taking the 3 guys you want first.

That is, if you believe what he has said, we ain't taking a QB. And an OT with the first pick doesn't fit his draft philosophy. And I believe they'd rather use Clowney for trade bait.

Snead is trading down. Fisher wants more points. Watkins makes the most sense.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
He wore out urban Liar's fuckeyes almost single handedly. It was fun to watch. He was a superior athlete compared to the defensive backs he was facing last night by a very large margin,,, that advantage won't be near the same on the next level I'm afraid. He does have excellent hands.

Maybe it was just me,,, but he had his one knee wrapped up and he seemed to be hurting and gimpy as the game went on. After 15 catches or whatever he had, maybe that should be expected,,, but before I ever drafted him he'd be getting a serious physical on those knees and legs. Concerning.

iced

I think that's such a painfully illogical argument.
A) Matthews is a LT whether or not we play him there from Day 1.
B) WR is no more valuable of a position than OG or C.
C) Saffold is a free agent.
D) We're lacking 3 players on the OL right now with a 4th having major knee surgery...I think if you're arguing needs, that takes precedence over a #1 WR.
E) Matthews is a better prospect.
F) The WRs available at #13 will be better than than OTs.

1)Matthews name is over hyping his draft status. He's a good player;but the bloodline name is helping inflate his draft stock no question.
2)I disagree about WR's available vs OT's.
3)You're really okay with takign a guard or center in the top 5 /top 8?
4)free agency hasn't hit yet
5)Couch Boudrea is a hell of an o-line coach; can't say the same for Sherman
6)This offensive line had players playing at a pro bowl level; proven players. There isn't a proven wide receiver in this group, playing even at an above average level not named tavon austin...and none of them can catch either

Alan

Legend
jrry32's take:
I think that's such a painfully illogical argument.
A) Matthews is a LT whether or not we play him there from Day 1.
B) WR is no more valuable of a position than OG or C.
C) Saffold is a free agent.
D) We're lacking 3 players on the OL right now with a 4th having major knee surgery...I think if you're arguing needs, that takes precedence over a #1 WR.
E) Matthews is a better prospect.
F) The WRs available at #13 will be better than than OTs.

iced's take:
1)Matthews name is over hyping his draft status. He's a good player;but the bloodline name is helping inflate his draft stock no question.
2)I disagree about WR's available vs OT's.
3)You're really okay with takign a guard or center in the top 5 /top 8?
4)free agency hasn't hit yet
5)Coach Boudreau is a hell of an o-line coach; can't say the same for Sherman
6)This offensive line had players playing at a pro bowl level; proven players. There isn't a proven wide receiver in this group, playing even at an above average level not named tavon austin...and none of them can catch either

One from column A and one from column B. I like this. Good stuff from both you football mavens.

Here are the my picks from this smorgasbord:
- Look where Cooper and Warmack were drafted last year. Still, all else being equal I think a #1 WR has much more impact on your team that a great G.
C - nit picking to say he isn't but correct in that we can try to sign him before he hears other offers although I bet his agent is (illegally) hearing some offers from other teams even as we speak.
D - Too true unfortunately.
D - Doubly right IMO.
1 - I've already talked about this so nuff said from me.
2 - See my dislike of F.
5 - Yes.

Dislikes:
A -
Don't see it.
E - See my like of 1.
F - I can't see any logic in this statement but that doesn't mean there isn't any.
4 - Nit :wink:

Contingent on many factors / half true:
- Sure I would. Depends on what's available at all the positions. Doesn't make sense to me to make blanket statements. But, taking a C or a G that high would be very rare.
6 - Long maybe. Saffold not on such a small sample. Plus your not allowed to exclude one player (Tavon) when making a sweeping statement. :lol:

iced

- Look where Cooper and Warmack were drafted last year. Still, all else being equal I think a #1 WR has much more impact on your team that a great G.

Whom were all outplayed by 3rd rounder warford - a very popular predraft target for a lot of ram fans.

Much better chance of finding a starting guard in the later rounds vs a #1 WR..

when your tight end is your leading receiver, your receivers are dam near the top in the league in drops and theres a #1 staring at you in the face - smart money is probably to take that #1 :cool:

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok, I'll try but there's no way I can post more than @RFIP . It's been less than 2 weeks and he has over 200 posts :wow:

Here's the deal friend, hook me up with your girl in your sig line and I'll take a GOOD month off posting! I'd probably be dead too!!!!!

RFIP

One from column A and one from column B. I like this. Good stuff from both you football mavens.

Here are the my picks from this smorgasbord:
C - nit picking to say he isn't but correct in that we can try to sign him before he hears other offers although I bet his agent is (illegally) hearing some offers from other teams even as we speak.
D - Too true unfortunately.
D - Doubly right IMO.
1 - I've already talked about this so nuff said from me.
2 - See my dislike of F.
5 - Yes.

Dislikes:
A -
Don't see it.
E - See my like of 1.
F - I can't see any logic in this statement but that doesn't mean there isn't any.
4 - Nit :wink:

Contingent on many factors / half true:
- Sure I would. Depends on what's available at all the positions. Doesn't make sense to me to make blanket statements. But, taking a C or a G that high would be very rare.
6 - Long maybe. Saffold not on such a small sample. Plus your not allowed to exclude one player (Tavon) when making a sweeping statement. :lol:

WR no more valuable than a G or C? Please tell me that is not an exact quote?

When you can dictate coverage it makes EVERYTHING on offense that much easier, including blocking for your OL as the amount of stacked boxes will be greatly reduced.

RFIP

I'd be legitimately upset.

I understand what your saying but I'd be more upset if someone jumps the Rams for him a la Jax for Blackmon. In a perfect world a trade to 4 with Cleveland and I would be holding my breath for pick #3 but I "think" we'd be safe...but after last night I would not bet on it.

As much as I like Watkins I think we need to correct the O line before we do anything else, that may mean drafting Matthews or it may not. I think one of the key things of the off season is our staff's opinion of Barrett Jones, if they think he can play and we can bring back Saffold then I'd only want us to draft an OG high (round 2), we can start the season with Saffold/Jones/Barnes/Draft pick/Barksdale, then once Long is back move to Long/Saffold/Barnes/Draft pick/Barksdale. But neither of those may happen and drafting Matthews could become vital.

All of that said I'd love to draft Watkins, with him and Austin we'd never have to throw beyond the line of scrimmage again.

Alan

Legend
iced replying:
Whom were all outplayed by 3rd rounder warford - a very popular predraft target for a lot of ram fans.

Immaterial. You can have busts at any position in the first round and PBs picked among the UDFAs. That doesn't change the logic.

Much better chance of finding a starting guard in the later rounds vs a #1 WR.

I agree but again that doesn't change the logic. You should have worded your statement like you just did.:wink:

when your tight end is your leading receiver, your receivers are damn near the top in the league in drops and theres a #1 staring at you in the face - smart money is probably to take that #1 :cool:

Glad you said probably. Still your sentence while true, is only part of the story. I could make a similar statement about the O-line that would be just as compelling. You can make a great argument for both priorities. Who's to say which is better? I won't cry with either choice but I have my preference as do you.

Last edited by a moderator:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The thing is; we can fix the oline via FA and later in the draft. At WR... Gifted WR's don't hit FA and they go high in the draft.

If the Rams feel they need help at WR, it's time to stop messing around. Draft Watkins and we're set at WR.

iced

Immaterial. You can have busts at any position in the first round and PBs picked among the UDFAs. That doesn't change the logic.

sure, you can - but you look throughout history and i guarantee you'll find way more starting interior lineman rounds 3-5 than you will a #1 receiver....

I see the interior o-line as a weakness, without any top prospects in the top 10 or near the same level as Watkins.

I don't however see Tackle as a weakness, nor am I ruling out Saffold returning/leaving until he has atleast even Spoken on the matter, or SOMETHING from his camp.

Barksdale has played more than well enough at RT - was grading out in top 5 right tackle's according to PFF. Even if one is not a fan of PFF, inadequate play still wouldn't sniff a top 5 rating.

Glad you said probably. Still your sentence while true, is only part of the story. I could make a similar statement about the O-line that would be just as compelling. You can make a great argument for both priorities. Who's to say which is better? I won't cry with either choice but I have my preference as do you.

I think it's pretty simple - look at the production from the line,and look at the production from the receiving core...drops, poor route running, little separation, severely lacking a true #1 in a division full of elite corners..

I'm just glad Fisher has never taken an offensive linemen in the first

Alan

Legend
Alan's view:

RFIP aghast at what I said:
WR no more valuable than a G or C? Please tell me that is not an exact quote?

When you can dictate coverage it makes EVERYTHING on offense that much easier, including blocking for your OL as the amount of stacked boxes will be greatly reduced.

Like 99.9% of all blanket statements, that one was just as poor and incorrect (IMO) as the other one I disliked. If you have a huge hole at guard and you have Julio Jones and A.J. Green as your WRs with Tavon in the slot I think a G would be 1,000,000,000,000 times more valuable to your team. But then again, I added the second sentence caveat that you appear to have ignored.:wink: