How Good Is Sammy Watkins?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
There are no words to say to you or anyone with that thought process. No offense. Let me just say he's the best wr to come out since Julio Jones.
So you've got nothing:meh:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
He'll be fine outside. Even Tavon is fine outside. Watkins is not really a bigger Tavon. He's a hard player to compare. I think he plays a lot like Andre Rison but he's faster and stronger than Rison was.

However, I think some are overhyping him a bit. He's tied with Mike Evans for me for best in the class.

Julio wasn't the best WR in this own class. :wink:
Thanks Jrry I just wanted to see if RFIP could actually put something in writing to describe in more detail what translates from his skillset to the NFL. This is the first time I have seen Watkins. He is twitchy fast and really good in the open field but they really have not featured him outside except for the WR screens. And like I mentioned his TD was just a go route with a blown coverage from the slot.

Good kick returner, but show me something outside the numbers, does he work back for the ball, can he elevate?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks Jrry I just wanted to see if RFIP could actually put something in writing to describe in more detail what translates from his skillset to the NFL. This is the first time I have seen Watkins. He is twitchy fast and really good in the open field but they really have not featured him outside except for the WR screens. And like I mentioned his TD was just a go route with a blown coverage from the slot.

Good kick returner, but show me something outside the numbers, does he work back for the ball, can he elevate?

He catches a lot of screens and short passes. I think like 65% of his catches came off of screen passes and passes that were caught within 5 yards of the LOS.

He does work back for the ball. He can elevate...although I wasn't blown away by his ability to high-point the ball or use his body or make tough catches in traffic.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
He catches a lot of screens and short passes. I think like 65% of his catches came off of screen passes and passes that were caught within 5 yards of the LOS.

He does work back for the ball. He can elevate...although I wasn't blown away by his ability to high-point the ball or use his body or make tough catches in traffic.
I'm seeing a lot of the WR screens and handing the ball to him in motion that makes me think in our offense he IS Tavon. But like I said I have never seen him before tonight. Maybe that is just the game plan for tonight?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Tell me what you have seen from tonight's game that make you think he is a good outside the numbers WR? I have seen one pass to him, the TD, that was a go route with him lined up in the slot.

To me he looks like a bigger TA
On 101ESPN last week, Torry Holt said Watkins is ready to come in right now and play. Torry said Watkins runs good routes. That's enough for me.

Savard said Watkins is the one guy he wants in the draft.

The only thing I haven't seen from him is fighting for contested balls, but that's a minor quibble with a guy like Watkins. It's not as if he is afraid of contact. He's no Givens.

He looks like a better version of Roddy White.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On 101ESPN last week, Torry Holt said Watkins is ready to come in right now and play. Torry said Watkins runs good routes. That's enough for me.

The only thing I haven't seen from him is fighting for contested balls, but that's a minor quibble with a guy like Watkins. It's not as if he is afraid of contact. He's no Givens.

I respect the hell out of Torry but I gotta disagree with him. Watkins isn't a poor route runner but he's not a good one either. He's just not consistent enough.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm seeing a lot of the WR screens and handing the ball to him in motion that makes me think in our offense he IS Tavon. But like I said I have never seen him before tonight. Maybe that is just the game plan for tonight?

Nah, that's typical. But I've seen him make catches at all levels to the field.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Torry wanted that midget cb, hill, when the rams had the chance to take ngata back in 06. I wouldn't put much stock in his player evaluation of a college player.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Torry wanted that midget cb, hill, when the rams had the chance to take ngata back in 06. I wouldn't put much stock in his player evaluation of a college player.

Hill was amazing and Ngata sucked!!!!!!!!!!!! oh, and Miley Cyrus and Justin Beiber are the greatest thing ever......

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Well I heard Matt Millen tonight say that he would perform the same way at the next level and we all know how good he is at evaluating talent. :disappoint:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And there you see him elevate. Great play.