Faileb for Caleb?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
C'mon folks, Rams front office knew when they dumped everyone with a multi year/million dollar contract (except for 3), they were going to lose a lot of games this year. And it's all about starting fresh next year.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Goff is a much better drop back passer now. Drop back passing is an area of deficit in the Shanny/McVay tree so glad to see him blossom in that aspect of his game.

He also has a top oline again.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Goff hasn't "improved."

Same guy he's been.. can execute a loaded offense at a high level within the structure of that offense.
That's not an insult!!
When he's asked to improvise, or doesn't have top-level talent around him, things break down significantly.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Caleb has been sucking lately according the people that I know of that watch College Football.
That is simply not true. I watch every USC game. He did have a rough couple of games against Notre Dame and Utah, but has balled out the last 2 games, one of which against a legit playoff contender (Washington). If USC's defense was even just average or slightly below average, they could be playoff contenders too. They have one of the worst defenses in the country and just fired their DC.
That's kind of what I am talking about the bar is so high that going 27/35 312yds 3 td's and no INT's Saturday against #5 in the nation is sucking. Perspective is everything
Exactly. Add to the passing yards, the dude is a hell of an athlete and can get you the tough yards on the ground even
I'll be cool with that.
Nix still scares me personally. I remember him at Auburn where he was considered a fringe starter in college for 3 years. Now he's in a very QB friendly offense and putting up stats. So far, I wouldn't take him top 10.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Nix still scares me personally. I remember him at Auburn where he was considered a fringe starter in college for 3 years. Now he's in a very QB friendly offense and putting up stats. So far, I wouldn't take him top 10.
I can't imagine grabbing the #3 QB with the 6th overall pick and being happy when you are 5 picks from a perceived generational talent.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
His only flaw is that he has set the bar so high that anything less than amazing is some how seemed a disappointing showing.
I do have questions about his abilities to thrive within structure at the next level.. but is off-schedule ability us absolutely incredible.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay is unable to develop QBs no point…
I think it is more accurate to say that there are QBs who will not fit with McVay. If you draft him a young passer it has to be someone who has a certain level of toughness to take correction, first off. Otherwise that QB will be a short term deal working with him. Also it has to be someone who processes quickly and sees well, because McVay so often leaves his QB in a situation with zero run game support and ILBs in drops and a cluttered up midfield.

The problem with the latter element is that is something everyone prioritizes nowadays. You can find those types into midrounds but they will inevitably have other problems like weak arms, size, etc. Weak arm is normally not a problem in the WCO but for McVay who likes to stretch the field vertically to create space you gotta have a certain level of arm which is a limiting factor.

But he developed Cousins. He put Goff on the map. And he got Stafford his first Super Bowl. So your comment is off base I think.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do have questions about his abilities to thrive within structure at the next level.. but is off-schedule ability us absolutely incredible.
I dont. For his sake I hope he ends up with a coach who builds the offense around his ability and not vice versa

Ellard80

Legend
I think it is more accurate to say that there are QBs who will not fit with McVay. If you draft him a young passer it has to be someone who has a certain level of toughness to take correction, first off. Otherwise that QB will be a short term deal working with him. Also it has to be someone who processes quickly and sees well, because McVay so often leaves his QB in a situation with zero run game support and ILBs in drops and a cluttered up midfield.

The problem with the latter element is that is something everyone prioritizes nowadays. You can find those types into midrounds but they will inevitably have other problems like weak arms, size, etc. Weak arm is normally not a problem in the WCO but for McVay who likes to stretch the field vertically to create space you gotta have a certain level of arm which is a limiting factor.

But he developed Cousins. He put Goff on the map. And he got Stafford his first Super Bowl. So your comment is off base I think.
yeah Stafford had his best year ever under Mcvay

Goff also had his two best seasons under Mcvay

Conclusion: Mcvay can't develop QBs

Makes sense to me

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Williams will be off the board way before we pick. He's not in play for us unless the NFL groupthink committee find something about him they collectively decide is risky and he slides further than expected. Which is not impossible, but given his production levels I think is very unlikely. It would have to be something very concerning like a red flag type deal.

But Williams fits what McVay wants in a QB I think. Question in my mind is what happens in the NFL when he's contained by these defenses to the pocket, but that's common to all these QBs nowadays. Also I wonder what he looks like in another system or with another coach, but he has everything you'd want in this offense for sure.

NYCRam

Rookie
Williams will be off the board way before we pick. He's not in play for us unless the NFL groupthink committee find something about him they collectively decide is risky and he slides further than expected. Which is not impossible, but given his production levels I think is very unlikely. It would have to be something very concerning like a red flag type deal.

But Williams fits what McVay wants in a QB I think. Question in my mind is what happens in the NFL when he's contained by these defenses to the pocket, but that's common to all these QBs nowadays. Also I wonder what he looks like in another system or with another coach, but he has everything you'd want in this offense for sure.
Dosent Penix also fit the same bill kinda?

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dosent Penix also fit the same bill kinda?
I haven't watched too many of their games. He looks like a stud for sure though in the limited games I've watched.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Quinn Ewers would be my choice, and we could get him with our early second round pick.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
That is simply not true. I watch every USC game. He did have a rough couple of games against Notre Dame and Utah, but has balled out the last 2 games, one of which against a legit playoff contender (Washington). If USC's defense was even just average or slightly below average, they could be playoff contenders too. They have one of the worst defenses in the country and just fired their DC.

Exactly. Add to the passing yards, the dude is a hell of an athlete and can get you the tough yards on the ground even

I don't watch college football, so I guess they are wrong Stats look good to me.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
The Rams are not tanking. This was never a one season rebuild. It is going to take a couple or three seasons at least.... I know everyone is disappointed I am too especially after the start the Rams had but ask yourself did you expect a playoff run and a championship? I sure didn't.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff hasn't "improved."

Same guy he's been.. can execute a loaded offense at a high level within the structure of that offense.
That's not an insult!!
When he's asked to improvise, or doesn't have top-level talent around him, things break down significantly.
Goff hasn't improved he has just been put in a situation that maximizes his abilities. His coach put a round peg in a round hole. Who's to say that had we used all that draft capital and wasted dead cap money to surrounded him with that talent we might have won a SB. We would still be sitting in a big open window for the future.

I understand that most believe that we won that SB and all is good. But, i'm just looking at a different way we could have went and stating an opinion. I am an old timer that gets more satisfaction from winning with home grown talent that you watch grow and become winners than buying a bunch of veterans that are here for a short time we are left paying for their services long after they are gone.

I don't disagree with what you say, I just see it from a different point of view.

Anyway, I was responding to the feeling that McVay is great at developing QBs, which I ask why he gets so much credit? Who has he developed? He couldn't adjust his game plan to the young QB he had and sought out a older QB that didn't need to be developed. He hasn't been able to develop a good backup either which would have put us in a better position. He is very stuck in his ways, refuses to adapt and is very impatient.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Goff hasn't improved he has just been put in a situation that maximizes his abilities. His coach put a round peg in a round hole. Who's to say that had we used all that draft capital and wasted dead cap money to surrounded him with that talent we might have won a SB. We would still be sitting in a big open window for the future.

I understand that most believe that we won that SB and all is good. But, i'm just looking at a different way we could have went and stating an opinion. I am an old timer that gets more satisfaction from winning with home grown talent that you watch grow and become winners than buying a bunch of veterans that are here for a short time we are left paying for their services long after they are gone.

I don't disagree with what you say, I just see it from a different point of view.

Anyway, I was responding to the feeling that McVay is great at developing QBs, which I ask why he gets so much credit? Who has he developed? He couldn't adjust his game plan to the young QB he had and sought out an older QB that didn't need to be developed. He hasn't been able to develop a good backup either which would have put us in a better position. He is very stuck in his ways, refuses to adapt and is very impatient.
Appreciate where you’re coming from.

Yeah.. I don’t know whether I’d call him a QB guru.. but he’s had success with Cousins, Goff and Stafford. As good as Goff is now.. I’d say he was better in 17 & 18. It’s been a while so people forget.

I totally get what you’re saying about building as well. I love following guys from rookie to veteran.

But.. I’ll take that Super Bowl win!!