Faileb for Caleb?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wait we're tanking? Is that what people think that we're doing?

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
This team has never used it's first rd draft picks since McVay took over. I dont expect them to change their philosophy next year.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
I am truly an optimist, but I can't remember a time I have been as pessimistic as going into this year. I hate to think of it, but I truly think we are in a true tear-down (can I use that instead of "tanking?"). EVERY move has been about creating space of next season and beyond and we've bled an enormous amount of talent as a result.

And I will gladly take it......with the SB trophy in hand.

Two days ago I sent a text to my non-Ram friends here in Wisconsin sharing that I think we'll be drafting in the top 6 of next year's draft. I also shared I wouldn't be surprised to see some mid-late season, year-ending injuries by some of our best players. I've never thought this way, but I'm just not sure we can finish 8-8 and be on schedule with McSnead's long-term plan, which I don't believe has Stafford or Donald, and perhaps Kupp, as part of it.

I think they want Super Bowls, as opposed to many team's approach of making the playoffs and perhaps some "noise" in it constituting a successful season. And I think they'll do whatever it takes to get us another.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
The concept of tanking for a system QB who’s a couple of inches taller than Kyler Murray is ridiculous. Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray > Caleb Williams.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
1. No.
2. I reject your premise.
Let me rephrase the first question counsel, are the Rams sacrificing in 2023 to "reload" for 2024, which includes creating cap space by departing with unsustainable contracts, which will result in a 2023 talent level at multiple position groups below league average? The results would in fact appear to statistically increase the Rams' odds to position themselves for a better asset set of draftees in 2024, which should statistically enrich the talent in 2024 and beyond.

Does that sound more palatable than tanking?

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
The concept of tanking for a system QB who’s a couple of inches taller than Kyler Murray is ridiculous. Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray > Caleb Williams.
Dead on, my friend. I’m not excited about Oklahoma West at USC.

Stafford throws 40 TD’s this year is my prediction and all this shit disappears.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Let me rephrase the first question counsel, are the Rams sacrificing in 2023 to "reload" for 2024, which includes creating cap space by departing with unsustainable contracts, which will result in a 2023 talent level at multiple position groups below league average? The results would in fact appear to statistically increase the Rams' odds to position themselves for a better asset set of draftees in 2024, which should statistically enrich the talent in 2024 and beyond.

Does that sound more palatable than tanking?
Though that may be more descriptive of the current cap management strategy, I nonetheless reject the word “sacrifice” to describe this season, particularly given the fact that we have not seen the finished product. I expect that we’ll sign a few veterans to short term deals after the draft to increase our chances of success this year.

I completely reject the notion that any of this is being done to chase Williams (or any other prospect) in 2024.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Though that may be more descriptive of the current cap management strategy, I nonetheless reject the word “sacrifice” to describe this season, particularly given the fact that we have not seen the finished product. I expect that we’ll sign a few veterans to short term deals after the draft to increase our chances of success this year.

I completely reject the notion that any of this is being done to chase Williams (or any other prospect) in 2024.
It sounds as if you and others have convinced yourselves that cutting, trading, not restructuring contacts beyond Boom, and not resigning our own departing players is not a sacrifice to become more competitive in 2023. 2023 could be much different, but the Rams decision makers implemented changes to stop the hemorrhaging in 2023 instead of 2024 and beyond.

I have a strong suspicion nothing is off the table with the 2024 draft class. Maybe there are several players the Ram scouts would like to reload to the talent pool. Maybe this gives Trader Snead the option to trade back for more picks. It doesn't take much speculation to fathom both are likely correct.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
It sounds as if you and others have convinced yourselves that cutting, trading, not restructuring contacts beyond Boom, and not resigning our own departing players is not a sacrifice to become more competitive in 2023. 2023 could be much different, but the Rams decision makers implemented changes to stop the hemorrhaging in 2023 instead of 2024 and beyond.

I have a strong suspicion nothing is off the table with the 2024 draft class. Maybe there are several players the Ram scouts would like to reload to the talent pool. Maybe this gives Trader Snead the option to trade back for more picks. It doesn't take much speculation to fathom both are likely correct.
The first time you say 2023 above, did you mean 2024?

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker

Now you’re just mischaracterizing. Perhaps it’s deliberate, but if not…

Yes, the Rams are taking a long term approach of moving current assets to create greater flexibility in 2024.

Yes, that could make 2023 more challenging.

No, they are not “tanking” or “sacrificing” 2023 to chase draft prospects. They will build the roster within their current budget and try to win every game this year with what they have. If the key guys stay healthy, I expect they’ll be fighting for a playoff spot at the end of the year.

dang

Legend
Wait we're tanking? Is that what people think that we're doing?
I don’t. I’ll never be able to understand the advanced complex minds of McSnead. But my take is:
1) The Rams are keeping a handful of cornerstone players they believe are key to success for the next 2+ years and not paying those that are not needed.
2) The Rams are going to flood their roster with cheap young talent. And see how many are worth retaining beyond 2023.
3) The Rams are setting themselves up to be very active participants in trades and FA next year to fill in the gaps.
4) Rams will not tank but realize items 1-3 will limit their success in 2023. But give them a great opportunity for success in 2024 and beyond.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Losing games for the tactical purpose of improving draft position (tanking) is dishonorable and worthy of heavy sanction. I don't expect McVay (or anyone he hires) to ever take part in it. But a GM's decision to offload talent for pennies on the dollar is acceptable (rebuild) even though it might strategically represent a season-long sub rosa tanking plan for better draft position.

Q1: does anyone else think that is what is going on here?

Q2: if it is going on, is it bad for the league?

Yes they are tanking in a sense but they are doing so by removing a huge chunk of players they don't foresee playing for the Rams as cornerstone players as of 2024 and beyond. They will compete, but the talent deficit we have will likely lead to tons of hard losses. Not sure that it'll lead to the number 1 pick but it'll definitely land us a high pick. Will it be good for the league? If the Rams can reload properly for the future, than yes because one of the largest markets becoming a winning franchise again (aka being in title contention) is money in their pocket from said market.

Turducken

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes they are tanking in a sense but they are doing so by removing a huge chunk of players they don't foresee playing for the Rams as cornerstone players as of 2024 and beyond. They will compete, but the talent deficit we have will likely lead to tons of hard losses. Not sure that it'll lead to the number 1 pick but it'll definitely land us a high pick. Will it be good for the league? If the Rams can reload properly for the future, than yes because one of the largest markets becoming a winning franchise again (aka being in title contention) is money in their pocket from said market.
I think this is what is going on, but I really can't explain cutting the team's 2022 MVP (Wagner) or the firesale trade of a probowler (Ramsey), without even discussing restructure.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
This team has never used it's first rd draft picks since McVay took over. I dont expect them to change their philosophy next year.
That will change if it looks like their picks will be at or near top of the 1st, especially this year. I can't see them trading picks for over priced vets when they just had to trade theirs for pennies on the dollar to get out of cap hell.
Do you watch USC games? I've watched all of them and even when he played in Oklahoma (I'm a sucker for college ball). That dude is the closest thing I've seen to another Mahomes. To fuel that fire, Caleb's stats are superior to Mahomes college stats and he may win a 2nd heisman this season. I'd say he's the favorite for it. I'd take Caleb 1000 times out of 1000 over Baker or Kyler and its not remotely close.

Turducken

Starter
And I say again, even if we wanted to could we really out-suck the likes of HOU, Indy, CHI, CLE or even the Cards?
Well, we are definitely outsucking Cleveland, Houston and Indy at this point.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Losing games for the tactical purpose of improving draft position (tanking) is dishonorable and worthy of heavy sanction. I don't expect McVay (or anyone he hires) to ever take part in it. But a GM's decision to offload talent for pennies on the dollar is acceptable (rebuild) even though it might strategically represent a season-long sub rosa tanking plan for better draft position.

Q1: does anyone else think that is what is going on here?

Q2: if it is going on, is it bad for the league?

I’m off the Caleb bandwagon. I see too many red flags with that dude. He’s not accurate deep, he’s immature, he’s a diva…

Give Maye or @Corbin *gulp* maybe even McCarthy over Caleb.

Turducken

Starter
Caleb Williams has bust written all over him. Drake Maye on the other hand...
I wasn't really posting about tanking for (only for) Caleb, just wondering whether Snead was strategically structuring a team that would lose enough games to get a high pick in a talented QB class.

I figure we will draft somewhere between 5th-10th. Probably a good QB in that range. Was it by design?